daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #181
shreyansh

Likes (Received): 19

But what has caste system got to do with this building???
shreyansh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #182
Master of Disguise
Punjabi for Life..!!!

Likes (Received): 459

God knows...

iQuest Real Estate

New Delhi - NCR, INDIA
Master of Disguise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #183
Bombay Boy

Likes (Received): 12

its for the lulz
Bombay Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #184
rakshit gowda
ಸಿರಿಗನ್ನಡಂ ಗೆಲ್ಗೆ!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Having seen babies laying next to dog turds and sheep head on the side walk not too far from this, my guess would be that there is more satisfaction in helping out some of your fellow countryman than it is to build something like that for yourself if you have that kind of money. To be honest I think this building is a disgrace to humanity. I don't know why Indian culture seems to tolerate these kind of extremes. Maybe its about time to toss that caste system out of the window.

First of all, how do you know that he has not done anything to help the poor in India? his company has done a lot of charity work in India. He has contributed to nation building and directly employs 25,000 people. Also, it his his money and he can build whatever he wants unless he is not hurting anyone.

And please don't give us a lecture on extremes. India has lesser income disparity than China and USA. ever heard of gini coefficient? educate yourself a little bit about this before you preach us about income disparity. go have a look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gini_coefficient

And what do you know about the caste system sir? Do you know that India has the highest percentage of seats reserved in govt institutions and house of parliament under affirmative action for so called lower caste and poorer sections? but you will not know these because you have very limited knowledge of our culture and political system.

So don't come here and preach us about your Utopian system and society. I'm pretty sure your society is not perfect either.
rakshit gowda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2010, 05:35 AM   #185
AndrewJM3D

Likes (Received): 537

Stunning.
AndrewJM3D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 05:04 AM   #186
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinfishjoe View Post

That's true. Mumbai is overall a pretty safe city. Even in the poorest areas I wouldn't feel uncomfortable venturing there at night.
I find this very hard to believe, for several reasons.
Rise To The Top no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 06:58 AM   #187
v-8ras
Whizkidd

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise To The Top View Post
You don't need. to.

We know this because we live here? Guess thats credible enough.
v-8ras no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 09:21 AM   #188
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-8ras View Post
You don't need. to.

We know this because we live here? Guess thats credible enough.
I highly doubt that Mumbai is safer than Boston... either that, or you guys are just stupid enough to walk through those "certain" parts.
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #189
HD
같같같같같같

Likes (Received): 906

leaving all the indian society criticism aside: that's one sexy tower (imo).
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #190
Marathaman

Likes (Received): 6038

Quote:
Believe it or not, it's true. The poorest slums are quite safe, and generally not gun-crime ridden.

2019:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyer75 View Post
Next two years the economy will crumble and the stock markets will crash thanks to demon.
Marathaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #191
MeMumbaikar

Likes (Received): 4282

Quote:
I highly doubt that Mumbai is safer than Boston... either that, or you guys are just stupid enough to walk through those "certain" parts.
dude the city is soo densely populated that there are people wherever you look.

how the hell for eg are you gonna rape somebody when there are people really close by?

Its not cause mumbaikars are somehow really virtuous people thats far from it. But the sheer density of the city means that there are always people on the street etc.

I myself have walked through the poor parts at 4am in the night and nothing happened. Thats cause the road was still populated with a lot of people. It was not deserted like many cities at night.

Now there might be pickpockets and other stuff of theft. Like car jacking etc. But physical violence is limited.

another reason being that the cost of a gun compared to income is very high. So lol most people dont carry guns.
MeMumbaikar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #192
SSCaddict
Sagar

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakshit gowda View Post
First of all, how do you know that he has not done anything to help the poor in India? his company has done a lot of charity work in India. He has contributed to nation building and directly employs 25,000 people. Also, it his his money and he can build whatever he wants unless he is not hurting anyone.
???????? you missed 1 zero dude and then forgot to multiply the result with 2
SSCaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #193
Bangalore_Geek
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
You find it so hard to believe because you have pre-conceived stereotypes. You ought to visit Mumbai and find out the ground reality for yourself. Mumbai is certainly much safer than most American cities in terms of violent crime. There are other cities in India which are not that safe, such as Delhi, but for its size and population, Mumbai is among the safest cities in that category as far as violent crime is concerned.
Bangalore_Geek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #194
Yagya
ecrasez l'infame

I actually lost all respect for Jan after that comment.

In Realm Of The Senses
Yagya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #195
Master of Disguise
Punjabi for Life..!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangalore_Geek View Post
You find it so hard to believe because you have pre-conceived stereotypes. You ought to visit Mumbai and find out the ground reality for yourself. Mumbai is certainly much safer than most American cities in terms of violent crime. There are other cities in India which are not that safe, such as Delhi, but for its size and population, Mumbai is among the safest cities in that category as far as violent crime is concerned.
Delhi is unsafe wow.....really?????

iQuest Real Estate

New Delhi - NCR, INDIA
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #196
SSCaddict
Sagar

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Disguise View Post
depends on the time and area..
SSCaddict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #197
Master of Disguise
Punjabi for Life..!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSCaddict View Post
depends on the time and area..
Humnn......

iQuest Real Estate

New Delhi - NCR, INDIA

Last edited by Master of Disguise; November 12th, 2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #198
Bangalore_Geek
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Disguise View Post
On a comparative basis among comparable Indian cities, of similar size, significance, population, etc. - yes. The crime statistics do point to that. That doesn't take away Delhi's many other positives, but this crime rate thing is among Delhi's weak points.
Bangalore_Geek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2010, 08:38 PM   #199
Master of Disguise
Punjabi for Life..!!!

Quote:
On a comparative basis among comparable Indian cities, of similar size, significance, population, etc. - yes. The crime statistics do point to that. That doesn't take away Delhi's many other positives, but this crime rate thing is among Delhi's weak points.
No seriously....Its crime in Noida & Ghaziabad which somehow puts delhi in bad picture as it comes under NCR...Main Delhi city is not unsafe even late nights....I see 100's of girls partying hard @ 2am ....and for that matter anybody....It's just media who takes blows issue out of proportions ....Well anyways outsiders coming to delhi find it safe and themselves say what they here in media is soo untrue....ehhh...anyways back on the topic...

I have few pics of this scraper which I took when I last visited Mumbai will post soon...

iQuest Real Estate

New Delhi - NCR, INDIA
Old November 12th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #200
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMumbaikar View Post
Now there might be pickpockets and other stuff of theft. Like car jacking etc. But physical violence is limited.

another reason being that the cost of a gun compared to income is very high. So lol most people dont carry guns.
Pickpocketing and robbery are pretty damn close in my book. I'd consider it more of a robbery than a larceny, mainly because there is contact. The income effect on something used to carry out a crime, ie, a gun, have little to do with the frequency of the crime. The amount of murder, for an example, won't change at all given a good economy versus a bad one.

Quote:
Most US cities are pretty damn safe. Boston is one of the top, for an example, and yet I wouldn't walk around Roxbury late at night. It's not that there is a high chance of me getting robbed, but the sheer value of what could potentially be lost in a robbery. Like you said before, people have less money over there, thus less potential losses/gains from a robbery. On a contrast, if I was simply running through in my pocketless running shorts, I wouldn't care as much, as a robbery would result in nothing for both parties.

Another thing that you have to factor in over there is the crime rate versus the actual amount of crimes committed. If people lose something of lesser value or something that they can't track (like a bike or iPod that can't versus a cellphone or credit card that can), people are FAR less likely to steal it. I'm not sure about how it is over there, but if I remember it correctly more than half of all larcenies and robberies go unreported because it simply isn't worth the time to do so. If what you said is true about incomes over there, people are more likely to have lesser valued goods that get stolen and simply aren't worth reporting because there is little to no chance in getting them back.

Having people on the street 24/7 is also a marginal reason to cite less crime, but going into detail over that would take far too long.