daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2010, 12:10 AM   #201
ssusa

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangalore_Geek View Post
You find it so hard to believe because you have pre-conceived stereotypes. You ought to visit Mumbai and find out the ground reality for yourself. Mumbai is certainly much safer than most American cities in terms of violent crime. There are other cities in India which are not that safe, such as Delhi, but for its size and population, Mumbai is among the safest cities in that category as far as violent crime is concerned.
+1000. Mumbai is safer than ALL American cities.
ssusa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2010, 01:29 AM   #202
Pfeuffer
BANNED

Likes (Received): 405

it`s even safer than german cities
Pfeuffer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #203
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

I'm from Detroit.

Trust me, Mumbai is one of the safest big cities I've ever been to. And I've been to a many
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #204
bhargavsura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
I'm from Detroit.
Really? So am I.
Old November 13th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #205
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
I'm from Detroit.

Trust me, Mumbai is one of the safest big cities I've ever been to. And I've been to a many
I'm well aware of Detriot. We actually make fun of it in my criminology classes for being such a bad city crime wise.
Rise To The Top no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 12:22 AM   #206
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5332

wow! who knew a criminology class would make fun of its subject matter?

I wonder if in your university they make fun of blacks in African American History class?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2010, 07:31 AM   #207
Rise To The Top
Future CiE and Architect

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
wow! who knew a criminology class would make fun of its subject matter?

I wonder if in your university they make fun of blacks in African American History class?
Not at all. During one class when we were talking about crime demographics and crime variations by region. The mid-west just happens to have the highest crime rate in the country (with the north-east having the lowest). Our professor asked why that might be and one of the students screamed out "Detroit!". It was pretty humorous, and we have used Detroit as the model slum city since.
Rise To The Top no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #208
raakshas

Likes (Received): 69

I've lived in India for 20 years. I was never attacked or had to face any kind of criminals. But in less than 7 years of my stay in Germany I've been attacked many times. Once even with a knife. All of these attacks were unprovoked and in unexpected places, like at a bus station in the centre of the city where there are a lot of people and during the day.
raakshas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #209
marziano

Likes (Received): 381

maybe because you are an indian in a mostly white country, maybe the same happens to white people in mumbai?
this building prove exactly that mr mabani fears so much for his life in mumbai that he had to build this fortress to protects himself and his family.
in milan you can see wives and daughters of billionaires (in euro) strolling around in bicycles all by themselves with no bodyguard.
guess you can not tell the same about mumbai, statistics or not.
anyway this single family skyscraper it's not my cup of tea.
this is not a "home", it's a subsidiary seat of the reliance business conglomerate. just to say "hey can you see how much I am rich?"
the last floor only probably is the home.
marziano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #210
MeMumbaikar

Likes (Received): 4282

Quote:
Originally Posted by marziano View Post
maybe because you are an indian in a mostly white country, maybe the same happens to white people in mumbai?
this building prove exactly that mr mabani fears so much for his life in mumbai that he had to build this fortress to protects himself and his family.
in milan you can see wives and daughters of billionaires (in euro) strolling around in bicycles all by themselves with no bodyguard.
this is not a "home", it's a subsidiary seat of the reliance business conglomerate. just to say "hey can you see how much I am rich?"
and if I tell you they do you can verify this how? Infact how can i verify your claim that billionaires wives and daughters roaming around in cycles with no bodyguard? Maybe the bodyguards are in plain clothes and just hidden.?

If you bother to go through this thread, you will realise that he needed a big car park and an office for himself and his staff.

Reliance Industries is india's largest company. This is not only his home but a huge office space where he meets with his executives and rest of his staff.He only occupies a few floors.

So its dual use in reality. Not fully residential.

PS his brother is building one which is said to be even better....
MeMumbaikar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #211
ssusa

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Hmmm. First of all his name is not Mabani. Its Ambani. Anyways, let me tell you one thing that Mr. Ambani doesn't have to show to the world that how reach he is. Whole world knows how reach he is so just relax. I think what ever you said is out of seer jealousy. You can't digest that an Indian can built most expensive house (building) in the world. Just accept the reality pal.

Last edited by ssusa; January 5th, 2011 at 07:54 PM.
ssusa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:39 AM   #212
marziano

Likes (Received): 381

thanks guys, you both confirmed exactly what I said (although correcting me for ambani seems a bit childish its a typo, can't u see?).

plus, dear ssusa, why do you read any bitterness in my post. I am relaxed way more than you ever might be!
bitterness is in the eye of the beholder and, let me say, its typical of (former) third world contry members to have the need to say "hey look what we have reached".
in any case wait until the welfare in india will reach the european standards and then, my friend, see where all your accumulated wealth will go.
I am just so happy that a big democracy like india is growing. really and also hope that it will outrun china, for what is worth. I still think that this is a fortress for a man that feel secluded in it and put a big distance from the people.
yet as a skyscraper i like its form.
marziano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:15 PM   #213
patentneer

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
thanks guys, you both confirmed exactly what I said (although correcting me for ambani seems a bit childish its a typo, can't u see?).

plus, dear ssusa, why do you read any bitterness in my post. I am relaxed way more than you ever might be!
bitterness is in the eye of the beholder and, let me say, its typical of (former) third world contry members to have the need to say "hey look what we have reached".
in any case wait until the welfare in india will reach the european standards and then, my friend, see where all your accumulated wealth will go.
I am just so happy that a big democracy like india is growing. really and also hope that it will outrun china, for what is worth. I still think that this is a fortress for a man that feel secluded in it and put a big distance from the people.
yet as a skyscraper i like its form.

Well said.

I absolutely agree that often developing country ppl. go on the defensive w/o reason often. Comes across quite rude, however, India is quite young, bombastic and rip-&-roar kinda place.

I've let this monster bldg. grow on me, yet technically speaking, it showcases merit. Mumbani's wealth is a factor of the stock exchange, the Indian eco. boom, his personal hard work and inheritance. I personally admire Mukesh bhai for his project execution acumen. I believe his real genius is in his lazer focus on how to concentrate mega politics, economics, finance, pr ... everything, to operationalise his chemical engg. projects be it the refineries, pipeline or retail biz.

In Mumbai, achievers are allowed their just rewards, so be it with Antilla. Ambition is universal in India; slums & poverty in India do not equate to despair and hopelessness, mostly seen as a passing phase, just a matter of time, the place was under the Iron Curtain for most of it's modern post-colonial era.

Things changing, often top-down.

Peace out y'all!

Last edited by patentneer; January 23rd, 2011 at 01:28 PM.
patentneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 04:24 PM   #214
raakshas

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
its typical of (former) third world contry members to have the need to say "hey look what we have reached".
More like countries, which have been under poverty and ignorance for millenia got rich for like one and a half centuries now feeling threatened by the reemergence of the former rich countries.
raakshas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #215
lookinflowers

Likes (Received): 440

its gourges
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:43 AM   #216
mihir1310
No frills attached.

Likes (Received): 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by India101 View Post
Real big, hi-res pic

Dec 5
Copyright Siddarth Bhandary

Please visit my photo collection:
Boston, New York, Pittsburgh and Puerto Rico
Mihir1310's Photography
mihir1310 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 05:43 AM   #217
mihir1310
No frills attached.

Likes (Received): 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiSHi View Post
photograhs by Yv from Holland forum .

Please visit my photo collection:
Boston, New York, Pittsburgh and Puerto Rico
Mihir1310's Photography
mihir1310 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #218
OldKool
Muaah!

Likes (Received): 1280

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE has ruined the city's image...Mumbai is safest even in the slums ...there is not such thing like bonded beggary or eye popping of children....neither the city is crime ridden...last time when some1 was raped here or killed on street is unknown by me!
While Delhi is like the crime capital...
OldKool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #219
India101

Likes (Received): 2632

oh my god, why did you bump this thread. Now new wave of people say the building is ugly, Indians shouldn't spend money on themselves but instead give it to the poor, the tower was built in a slum
India101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote