daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 04:38 AM   #21
shaggers_jr
can the can

Likes (Received): 174

This building is completely awesome. Although I note that no less than 600 staff will work there full time. This is one of the major barriers to these garden-style designs: the up-keep required on the plants (Swiss RE in London had its gardens drastically slashed because of the cost) In India, where staff cost nothing, it's not such a big deal. Although I can forsee a time when labour is not so cheap and I wonder who will tend it then.
shaggers_jr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2007, 04:47 AM   #22
cncity

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggers_jr View Post
This building is completely awesome. Although I note that no less than 600 staff will work there full time. This is one of the major barriers to these garden-style designs: the up-keep required on the plants (Swiss RE in London had its gardens drastically slashed because of the cost) In India, where staff cost nothing, it's not such a big deal. Although I can forsee a time when labour is not so cheap and I wonder who will tend it then.
Maintenance wouldnt be a problem for Mr Mukesh Ambani. He is the richest person living in India worth more than $20 billion and still growing. And i dont see the labour getting too cheaper anytime soon, as the population just doesnt stop increasing in India

~~~~~~ Pune, India ~~~~~~ North Mumbai, India ~~~~~~
cncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:23 AM   #23
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

Yeah, that makes sense *smacks head*

You're right! I'll bet most of the staff would be gardeners, and not as I imagined as hundreds of redundant butlers. Hell, there's probably floors dedicated to storing lawnmowers and topsoil or whatever.

Last edited by Jai; June 3rd, 2007 at 05:28 AM.
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:44 PM   #24
chinatown
Wanderer/ Le voyaguer/ 浪子

Likes (Received): 984

wow very unique. I heard that the cost of this building is 1 Billion USD???
chinatown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #25
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12342

it is a cool building, it's also obscene but then in india 56 people own literally 26% of the country!
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:21 AM   #26
shaggers_jr
can the can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post
Yeah, that makes sense *smacks head*

You're right! I'll bet most of the staff would be gardeners, and not as I imagined as hundreds of redundant butlers. Hell, there's probably floors dedicated to storing lawnmowers and topsoil or whatever.
Don't worry. Knowing India, I'm sure there will be plenty of redundant butlers. I have a friend who employs a boy simply to change the TV channel.
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:05 PM   #27
kokpit
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

vanity, vanity, vanity... this world is sick.
kokpit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #28
shaggers_jr
can the can

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokpit View Post
vanity, vanity, vanity... this world is sick.
What's sick?
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #29
kokpit
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

^ this world. Or is it normal to build such a building for one family (granny, His Majesty Mukesh, his wife a their three children, in total six people!)?
Mr.Mukesh, will this house make you and your family happy?
kokpit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:55 AM   #30
weird
vagamundo

It's horrible. So horrible. I don't like it. What an ugly tower..
Yes, it's a great residence for a family, but all that they have of richness, they have it of kitsch..
weird no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 03:52 AM   #31
shaggers_jr
can the can

You're kidding me? This tower is freakin' awesome! One question though: is this really just for his family? Or is it an apartment development with a section for his family?
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #32
cncity

Likes (Received): 148

Quote:
You're kidding me? This tower is freakin' awesome! One question though: is this really just for his family? Or is it an apartment development with a section for his family?
Its exclusively for the Mukesh Ambani family.
Currently they are living in a 14-storey building in downtown Mumbai and plan to move in their new home by next year.

~~~~~~ Pune, India ~~~~~~ North Mumbai, India ~~~~~~
cncity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #33
shaggers_jr
can the can

I saw a story saying that the Singaporean developers had pulled out because of arguments with the contractors. Any updates?
Old June 7th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #34
Jai
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः

Location: Haleiwa, Oahu, HI :. Waianae, Oahu, HI :. DETROIT, MI
Likes (Received): 79

Seems like one of those buildings you either love or hate... no middle ground. I still haven't decided yet, have to see how it turns out.

Regardless if its pretty or not, whether its vain or not, you've still gotta acknowledge that in this day of skyscraper blahs and copycats, its a pretty intuative and radical design that embodys an engineering concept that really pretty is unique.

Quote:
I saw a story saying that the Singaporean developers had pulled out because of arguments with the contractors. Any updates?
Interesting.. never came across that story. If true it fills in some gaps. Several months ago, it was made public that some unnamed Singaporean firm would design the building of some 40 odd floors (perhaps where the original height confusion came from.) They acted pretty certain of the deisgn. But then all the confusion came then they suddenly announced the current design Perkins + Will.

This was the Singaporean design. And speaking of bland:

Their design wasn't anything special, so imho good thing they pulled out

Last edited by Jai; June 7th, 2007 at 07:22 AM.
Jai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #35
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 12342

i ran this story on skyscrapernews about three weeks ago, it's actually ended up in all the national newspapers in the uk now. it certainly has the attention of people.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #36
cyborg81
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

very feral looking building,for a man to show his ego in the land of poverty and slum!keep it up mr.mukesh
cyborg81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #37
skytrax
Big boss!

Likes (Received): 14057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai View Post

Indian tycoon Mukesh Ambani, chairman of Reliance Industries, India's largest private sector company, has been mooting the idea of a groundbreaking residence for his family for almost a decade. As is company is leading the charge in Indian real estate, with massive SEZs planned to come up across the country, Ambani wanted his residence, located at Altamount Road, in the heart of Mumbai's skyscraper construction scene, to reflect the future of Indian construction.

The design of the Residence Antilia, as it came to be called, was kept a close secret even after construction started a couple months ago. Several days ago, he finally approved the release of the building's design to the public.

The Perkins + Will-designed 40 storey tower already under construction is planned to be the greenest in Mumbai (in apparent conflict with the Park Hyatt Tower and Lodha Bellissimo, which also claim the tag.) Like most capital projects in Mumbai, and reflective of Indian architecture and ancient Indian Vaastu Design, these buildings are to be garden buildings that, since they are skyscrapers, appropriately embody the garden-in-the-sky concept.

Residence Antilia goes one step further. It is designed as the largest and tallest "living wall" in the world -- a seamless, vertical garden that encompasses all walls of the building climbing to the 40th floor. Within this Vaastu tradition, the spine is regarded as the main source of support of the building, symbolically leading upward toward enlightenment. The various floor planes encombass a variety of garden tiers, terraces, water falls, ponds, recreational facilities, and enclosed, living areas that takes advantage of the most spectacular views of Mumbai and its waterfront.

You can see this goal in even the original plan of the tower:

The building's height is significant. At 245m, it will be one of the tallest buildings in Mumbai. Although it only has only 40 floors, due to the non-standard design of the building, using the Indian construction standard of about 3.5m/floor, it will have the virtual height of a 70 storey tower, and will rival the nearby Imperial Twin Towers in height.

The tower will have 6 floors of parking; several floors of just gardens; a couple "entertainment" floors including a massive theater; 2 floors of guest apartments, and various floors dedicated to the kitchen, laundry and other services. Reliance Corporate offices will be in the bottom floors and the private Ambani family residence will make up the topmost several floors. A helipad is designed on top, but there is mixed reports on whether this feature has been actually approved by the authorities.

Construction is well underway, can can be seen in the skyline. With nearly two floors being added every day, construction is expected to be completed by November, 2008.

Cheers,
Jai
I am sorry but that is just a horrible tower. so ugly
skytrax no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #38
BMXican

Likes (Received): 5

it may not be the most beautiful of towers, but it's still very interesting. if I had the money I'd build myself a skyscraper too.
BMXican no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #39
gunslinger

Likes (Received): 552

Very impressive indeed.
gunslinger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #40
itsmevishal2k4

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg81 View Post
very feral looking building,for a man to show his ego in the land of poverty and slum!keep it up mr.mukesh
if thats all you think mumbai and india is then im really very sorry
itsmevishal2k4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote