daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.73 average.
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #41
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 2020

El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 17th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #42
huvet

Likes (Received): 0

deleted.

Last edited by huvet; December 6th, 2007 at 03:59 PM.
huvet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #43
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1942

Keep ‘village’ of Smithfield, urges Farrell
12 October 2007
By Heidi Ancell

Terry Farrell has launched a fresh attack on a major office scheme by Kohn Pederson Fox Architects for central London’s historic Smithfield Market ahead of a public inquiry on the project next month.

Speaking at the launch of English Heritage’s Market Values exhibition on Tuesday evening, Farrell joined EH chief executive Simon Thurley in criticising the City of London’s “piecemeal approach” to development in the area, and set out an alternative vision based on a mix of uses including housing, creative industries and the retention of historic features such as the General Market Building.

Farrell, who has produced a detailed study of the market for the heritage watchdog (News March 16), also said the approval of the Crossrail project would help bring in a mix of people and business.

“London’s most radical piece of railway development is going to take place around here, which gives rise to the feeling that this area should be a meeting place — and not only one for white-collar commuters,” Farrell said.

“This area does not need to be another financial hub but can use its energy and diversity to add to the quality of all London and make it feel it has a total offering.”

Paddy Pugh, London director of English Heritage, agreed, calling the KPF plans — for developer Thornfield — “completely the opposite” of what EH wants. “Big monoculture buildings will not add to the richness of the area”, he said.

Thurley added: “Those things that make this area so attractive are also very fragile, and our view is very different from the City’s.

“We believe there should be an overarching framework which guides development in this area.”

KPF declined to comment but afterwards Mike Capocci, managing director of Thornfield, defended his scheme, insisting no “viable alternative” proposals had been found. “Any credible regeneration of Smithfield needs to be financially viable, safeguard the meat market, and replace the Thameslink tunnelling that runs beneath the derelict General Market Building,” he said.

Peter Bennett, deputy city surveyor at the Corporation of London, said: “We disagree with English Heritage over the idea of a masterplan, this is not something we go in for. We need to be a flexible, fleet-of-foot to meet the needs of the business community.

“However, we agree [with EH] about the special character of the area, and there is no question of us doing anything to change that.

“Smithfield has an eclectic mix of buildings, modern and old, and the designs proposed will overcome the structural problems of the General Market Building at the same time as providing accommodation for modern financial services and other users.”
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #44
Manuel

Likes (Received): 15

Although Farrell makes a good point here, I'm still very cautious about its credibility as an urban gourou.
How on earth can he design such a crappy development in Waterloo and dares propose à London manifesto (Architectural Review, sept 2007)?
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #45
fitz44

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post

No loss here.
Old October 17th, 2007, 07:41 PM   #46
Tubeman
Jubilation

Likes (Received): 1473

The grotesquely shit building (approx 12 floors) on the east side of Farringdon Street, north of Holborn Viaduct, is being demolished as I type... I don't know if this is connected to this development or unrelated however.
Tubeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 07:46 PM   #47
fitz44

Incidently I don't know if this is an urban myth, but a friend who's old man was a butcher told me an interesting story about the Cold Stores building on the right.

Apparently after it became disused and empty they still had to keep the fridges running for a number of years because perma-frost had worked its way into the building's foundations. If they had turned off the fridges and the ice had melted the whole building would have collapsed.
The problem has since been rectified with a bit of reinforcement.
Anyone know if it's true or not?
Old October 18th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #48
huvet

deleted

Last edited by huvet; December 6th, 2007 at 03:58 PM.
huvet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #49
elliott

Likes (Received): 15

I like the Port of London building, is that being retained?
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #50
Jaeger

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
I like the Port of London building, is that being retained?
The Port of London building is being kept, it's very much a landmark.
Jaeger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #51
zfreeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz44 View Post
Incidently I don't know if this is an urban myth, but a friend who's old man was a butcher told me an interesting story about the Cold Stores building on the right.

Apparently after it became disused and empty they still had to keep the fridges running for a number of years because perma-frost had worked its way into the building's foundations. If they had turned off the fridges and the ice had melted the whole building would have collapsed.
Don't know whether the story is true or not but i thought this building had been incorporated into the Fabric nightclub, because it can get bloody cold down inside the buildings.
zfreeman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #52
fitz44

Quote:
Originally Posted by huvet View Post
Agreed but that's not the historic fabric we think should be retained.
Lol, yes I know huvet, I'm not confusing a sixties concrete office block with a victorian meat market any time soon!

The threatened buildings;

To the Corporation's eternal shame!
Old October 18th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #53
delores

Likes (Received): 189

Those buildings with a bit of care which obviously hasn't happened for years could be great. Yet again another development that just destroys another piece of London's history.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #54
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz44 View Post

I heard a similar tale about the old Billingsgate Fish market! I suspect that there is some truth in both stories.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:03 PM   #55
randolph

Likes (Received): 89

I agree the original buildings should be retained. This is a unique area in London and has the potential, if developed well to become a very interesting area. I would like to see residential schemes put forward to bring more life back into the City.
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #56
brutalistUK

Likes (Received): 1

I saw some great renders in a free paper (can't remember which particular organ it was) by english heritage of a revitalised smithfields market very similar to Spitalfields. They retained all the exisiting buildings. Will do a search online to see if I can find anything.
This area does NOT need more generic office buildings and could be a lively area
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:37 PM   #57
brutalistUK

here we go:

Market Values Exhibition
Smithfield: present, past & future
An English Heritage exhibition
at The Gallery, 75 Cowcross St,
London EC1M 6EL
Nearest tube: Farringdon

9 October – 2 November 2007
Tuesdays 9, 16, 23, 30 October
10am – 4pm
Fridays 12, 19, 26 October, 2 November
2.30pm – 5.30pm
Late openings
Weds 10, Thurs 11, Thurs 18 October
5.30pm – 8.30pm

Admission free

People like Smithfield. This historic and creative place has a spirit of its own, packed with architects, designers, great bars and restaurants, but did you know that part of the market complex is threatened with demolition?

How should Smithfield move with the times without losing its unique character? This exhibition investigates what makes the area so special, drawing partly on new ideas from the architect, masterplanner and ‘blue-sky thinker’ Sir Terry Farrell.

Come and form your own ideas about what should happen to this much-loved corner of our capital.

no pics as yet
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #58
brutalistUK

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/s...show/nav.18050
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #59
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 192

Smithfield has amazing spirit and potential, not just the market buildings, but the area as a whole. The idea of having an exhibition to explore the values of this quarter is very good. What may be particularly interesting too is that Farringdon will be where Crossrails 1 and 2 meet, this will be an increasingly important part of London to locate in the next decade or two, but this is a transitional time for the area and the market - the existing fabric is highly vulnerable and needs to be safeguarded now from a plethora of anonymous groundscraper type projects which developers are sure to want to construct in the streets of this district. I would like to see the area become more mixed use, with residential use in particular encouraged together with light commercial use in building suited to studio use.

Also, although Farringdon is very close, is there any milage in reusing the old rail station below the market as a passenger station, making it a gateway to the district?
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 01:36 PM   #60
randolph

Likes (Received): 89

Some good pictures on that site that illustrate exactly why we should try to retain as much of the old market as possible. People like these kinds of spaces - just look at Spitalfields, Borough Market and Covent Garden. Why not the same here? Why is there so little public money for building, developing and regenerating our cities and so little interest in doing so on the part of politicians? This would be an ideal place for govt /local authority to build and encourage residential schemes, re vitalise the market, encourage small and creative business etc. The current proposal will only help kill off the area- especially at weekends. It also seems to have very little architectural merit, vision or ambition.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: