daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.50 average.
Old December 18th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #101
delores

Likes (Received): 166

With a bit of a clean these buildings could look great. Its so short sighted just to demolish this historic area of London.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 18th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #102
GazKinz

Likes (Received): 24

Very sad photos. Has the office block been aproved then? Have any groups objected. Obviously EH and the Corporation of London don't give a fuck. I hope (if it's possible) that this goes to P.I.
GazKinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 03:37 AM   #103
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 6201

Row over future of historic London market

LONDON, Dec 16, 2007 (AFP) - Surrounded by the City of London financial district's dizzying maze of skyscrapers, the centuries-old Smithfield meat market has survived untroubled as a reminder of a bygone age -- until now.

The covered market, which echoes to the calls of stallholders and whose fans include Prince Charles, could come under threat from a mooted new office block nearby, depending on the result of a public inquiry due to report next year.

Smithfield offers a sharp contrast with nearby modern landmarks like the Gherkin, home to insurers Swiss Re -- especially in the early hours when ruddy traders in bloodied aprons sell everything from chicken to beef and offal.

In the chilly halls between three o'clock and seven o'clock, hundreds of animal carcasses sway on meat hooks behind the stalls. Behind the counters, the traders haggle with customers over the price of a choice cut.

"Only a pound!" -- pronounced 'Pand,' in a broad cockney accent -- calls one butcher to a wide-eyed customer who asked the price of a head of mutton. Others use rhyming slang such as "Duke of York" for pork, and dog's eye for meat pie.

There has been an animal market on the site -- through which 110,000 tonnes of meat passes each year -- for around a thousand years and the current building dates back to 1867, but centuries of tradition could be under threat.

A public inquiry opened in November into a project, backed by City of London officials, by developer Thornfield Properties to demolish three buildings adjacent to the meat market and replace them with a seven-storey office block.

The inquiry is due to finish in January and the government will consider whether to ratify its decision in the middle of the year.

Designed by Horace Jones, the man also behind Tower Bridge, Smithfield's steel structure is one of the most striking examples of 19th century architecture in London.

Under the metal skeleton, decorated with green and purple spirals, a clock with golden hands still keeps time, as it has for the last 130 years.

Smithfield's fans include clubbers as well as early risers -- pubs nearby sell Guinness almost around the clock, perfect for those emerging in the early hours from the hip nightspots which cluster nearby.

The buildings which are threatened with demolition were also designed by Jones but, while they were once home to a fish market, they have been derelict for 10 years and are in a shabby state.

This is in contrast with the meat market, which underwent a major facelift about 10 years ago.

The City of London has turned down a number of projects to restore the building and turn it into a new Covent Garden -- the former fruit and vegetable market in central London which is now a shopping and dining hub.

But "more money is to be made on a seven storey building," said Adam Wilkinson, secretary of the Save Britain's Heritage campaign group.

The plight of the area has also attracted the attention of heir to the throne Prince Charles, who takes a keen interest in architectural issues.

"I simply cannot believe that more office space is needed when I understand there is over 2.5 million square feet of vacant office space within a mile of the market," he wrote in a 2004 letter to public body English Heritage.

The destruction of the buildings "could well be the first step to the relocation of the meat market," added Paddy Pugh, director of London region for English Heritage.

The City of London denies it wants Smithfield to move. But a source close to the matter told AFP on condition of anonymity that it was possible, although more likely to be over the next decade or so.

The 44 tenants of the meat market have already got their butchers knives out, though.

Against a backdrop of sides of beef, John Absalom, owner of Absalom and Tribe, said he was ready to fight for his son's right to take over from him.

"We're here to stay," he added.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg | Moscow | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Sydney | Hanoi | Bangkok | Prague

New York, London, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, Tokyo, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:07 AM   #104
Varenukha
London, UK

Likes (Received): 1

I wonder whether English Heritage will devote as much time and energy to this issue as they do to their attempts to block construction of tall buildings? The quote from EH in this article seemed pretty limp to me: not the statement of an organisation which is up for fight.
Varenukha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #105
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Likes (Received): 1778

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varenukha View Post
I wonder whether English Heritage will devote as much time and energy to this issue as they do to their attempts to block construction of tall buildings?
No they wont and we should expose the fact that theyre tall building hating bunch of idiots who dont care about heritage.Smithfield is prime example of this.
We should write to newspapers/councils etc.Even better - create a website.
Old December 19th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #106
MercuryRise
tobemoreanimal

Likes (Received): 0

i dont knwo who first suggested it.. but that idea has been floating around for a while now.. it needs to be done. somethign along the lines of "For our nations exsisting heritage.. not the opposition of tomorrows."
Old December 19th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #107
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Yes.Unofortunately many forumers just cant be bothered it seems.
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #108
MercuryRise
tobemoreanimal

Likes (Received): 0

and the expertise... i for one cant do diddle squat on a computer apart from excel.
Old December 21st, 2007, 05:03 AM   #109
delores

Unless you have good web skills its quiet difficult .

EH really are letting down this city in regards to preserving our historic assetts streets and buildings.
I really would like to know what vision they actually have of London and why they keep harking back to Wrens Cathedral as basically the only thing that matters??. But even then they destroy perfectly ok buildings ie One New Change next to it! . I think its basic lack of vision is why people disregard EH and its rather bizarre approach to heritage.

Smithfeilds is such an interesting place, building yet more corporate crap will be such a travesty. As I have said before this area has all the ingrediants to become a new covent garden and look at how successful that place is.
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:32 PM   #110
london lad

Likes (Received): 452

Although i'm the first to stick the boot into EH they have actually put a lot of effort into the PI & stand a good chance of winning it when the result is know in the first half of next year.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #111
potto

Likes (Received): 1745

English Heritage slates Smithfield Development
13:45 | 09.01.08

English Heritage has attacked Thornfield Properties’ plans to replace London’s Victorian Smithfield market with a 480,000 sq ft office and retail development as ‘dangerous.’

http://www.propertyweek.com/story.as...de=3103367&c=1
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #112
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 8

This is the type of thing EH should be focusing on - rather than blindly opposing all tall building. There is a clear case for their input on this one, so well done EH...and they seem to be using logical arguments for once too.
Old January 9th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #113
El_Greco
Flâneur Extraordinaire

Maybe theyre reading this thread?

Last edited by El_Greco; January 10th, 2008 at 04:42 AM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:17 PM   #114
Luke
Blackboard Monitor

Estates Gazette -

Network Rail have told the developers, English Heritage and everyone else involved in Smithfield to get a move on with their arguments because they need access to the general market site to work on Thameslink from 2009.
Old January 21st, 2008, 11:57 PM   #115
GazKinz

Likes (Received): 24

Fleetway house

GazKinz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:03 AM   #116
Luke
Blackboard Monitor

Top architects back Smithfield
1 February 2008

By Anna Winston

Inquiry hears KPF’s scheme backed over ‘undistinguished’ General Market

Smithfield’s General Market is an “undistinguished” building which should be replaced with KPF’s huge office scheme, three leading architects claimed this week.

In a dramatic finale to the two-and-a-half month long public inquiry, Aedas UK managing director Peter Oborn joined Chetwoods chairman Laurie Chetwood and ORMS founder Oliver Richards, as well as New London Architecture director Peter Murray, in a call for the inquiry to “look forwards rather than backwards” and support KPF principal Lee Polisano’s design.

The letter, submitted last week to the planning inspector, claimed Polisano’s design is now more in keeping with the area than the existing building, and complemented its “powerful geometry”.

“The site of 43 Farringdon Street… is perhaps one of the most complex anywhere in central London,” the letter stated.

“The contemporary architect is expected to meet criteria that the existing buildings do not. They are out of scale with their newer neighbours, they no longer complete the enfilade envisaged by [their architect Horace] Jones and they are of questionable economic value. We support their replacement with a new building designed by an architectural practice of international reputation.”

The letter caught the heritage lobby by surprise. It claimed the argument could be used to justify knocking down most of London.

“It’s not an argument that I’d expect from intelligent people like that,” secretary of Save Britain’s Heritage Adam Wilkinson said.

Ex-RIBA president George Ferguson added: “It’s a completely contrived argument for a specific commercial reason. People looking back in 10 years’ time will curse us if we allow this crass scheme to go ahead.”

The final day of the public inquiry last Friday also saw English Heritage’s QC Robert McCracken tell the planning inspector that a decision in favour of developer Thornfield’s proposed demolition would set a dangerous precedent.

“These applications are an attempt by the applicant and the City to drive a bulldozer, preceded by a ball and chain, through national and local heritage policies,” he said.

“It raises the question of whether the City is in effect… a plan-free office zone.”

Responding for the developer, Christopher Katkowski QC said the scheme was of the “highest quality” and would enhance the character and appearance of the conservation area.

Communities secretary Hazel Blears is expected to rule on the scheme later this year.

http://bdonline.co.uk/story.asp?sect...00000001445bb2
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #117
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 80

^Suprise, Suprise, corporate architects protecting their own. expecting an architect to be against the building of new schemes is like expecting a fisherman arguing for quotas even tho they may be for the best. not exactly an unbiased position.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:41 PM   #118
delores

I wouldn't mind but the scheme proposed is really crap and ugly. Its hardly worth fighting for, typical architects looking for a slice of the pie to get their filthy hands on.
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:44 PM   #119
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 1586

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnypd View Post
expecting an architect to be against the building of new schemes is like expecting a fisherman arguing for quotas even tho they may be for the best.
Terry Farrell is against the new development.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #120
johnnypd

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
Terry Farrell is against the new development.
good for him.
johnnypd no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: