daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2014, 10:28 PM   #4941
kimahrikku1

Likes (Received): 6999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-in-Toronto View Post
As I recall, that was a crack in the asphalt of a road close to Shanghai Tower, and likely due to settling. The cracking in this case looks to be in the concrete of the lower parts of a massive building - yes, they may only be cosmetic in nature, but they are definitely more worrisome than a crack in the road near the Shanghai Tower. I really hope the cracks pictured turn out to be cosmetic in nature and that there is nothing structurally wrong with the LWT.
Seoul's government has come forward and said that the sinkholes are not caused by the Lotte World Tower (or mall), but by Subway Line 9, currently under extension in the Songpa-Gu district.

http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/society/...053100004.HTML

However, although it does seem that Lotte World's construction is uncorrelated with these sinkholes, the majority of the public still believes that the sinkholes are caused by the tower construction, rather than the subway.
kimahrikku1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2014, 02:58 AM   #4942
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Likes (Received): 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimahrikku1 View Post
Seoul's government has come forward and said that the sinkholes are not caused by the Lotte World Tower (or mall), but by Subway Line 9, currently under extension in the Songpa-Gu district.

http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/society/...053100004.HTML

However, although it does seem that Lotte World's construction is uncorrelated with these sinkholes, the majority of the public still believes that the sinkholes are caused by the tower construction, rather than the subway.
But that's just what Dave said: there is still a difference between cracks and holes in a road and multiple cracks in the base of a huge tower (which is still only at around 50% ready). So if cracks keep appearing in the tower when more weight is added, I think it's design would need to be reseen drastically. This situation is not a joke.
Shaddorry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 03:07 AM   #4943
kimahrikku1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddorry View Post
But that's just what Dave said: there is still a difference between cracks and holes in a road and multiple cracks in the base of a huge tower (which is still only at around 50% ready). So if cracks keep appearing in the tower when more weight is added, I think it's design would need to be reseen drastically. This situation is not a joke.
You're right, I was only addressing the sinkhole situation, not the tower crack situation.

I honestly don't know if these kinds of cracks and their frequency is fairly normal or unexpected for a building this size. I also believe that due to the size of the project, the number of visitors in the mall and the preexisting safety concerns have added extra scrutiny to the slightest crack. It's very possible that such crack occurrences are common in other skyscrapers as well (again, I don't actually know) but not as documented as what's happening with the Korean netizens.

I'm not saying there's no problem, but this project has had its fair share of opponents from day one, and many of them will use any method to bring bad publicity to the project. Just trying to keep things in perspective.

Shaddorry liked this post
Old November 9th, 2014, 03:13 AM   #4944
Shaddorry
Futurologist

Likes (Received): 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimahrikku1 View Post
You're right, I was only addressing the sinkhole situation, not the tower crack situation.

I honestly don't know if these kinds of cracks and their frequency is fairly normal or unexpected for a building this size. I also believe that due to the size of the project, the number of visitors in the mall and the preexisting safety concerns have added extra scrutiny to the slightest crack. It's very possible that such crack occurrences are common in other skyscrapers as well (again, I don't actually know) but not as documented as what's happening with the Korean netizens.

I'm not saying there's no problem, but this project has had its fair share of opponents from day one, and many of them will use any method to bring bad publicity to the project. Just trying to keep things in perspective.
Yeah I feel you, man. But as much as like to see the current design of LWT rise to 100%, I'm also worried about the cracks. I hope we get an official reaction soon, for I don't want to see any accidents. South korea can't have a second negative world-headliner in one year.
Shaddorry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 08:07 AM   #4945
Mussoda
Soul_Seoul

Likes (Received): 9121

As I know, the place where the cracks appeared is not the foundation of the tower, but just separately attached part around the tower. Would Anyone check it out?

And as I know, such small cracks on the cements covering and wall painting is not structrually problematic. Is it?

of course, I'm not trying to defend any problem, it's true that we should ensure to prevent any trivial potential dangers. But it doesn't need to proliferate any baseless fears.
Mussoda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #4946
Kimiwind1184
Speed Metal God

Likes (Received): 1152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mussoda View Post
As I know, the place where the cracks appeared is not the foundation of the tower, but just separately attached part around the tower. Would Anyone check it out?

And as I know, such small cracks on the cements covering and wall painting is not structrually problematic. Is it?

of course, I'm not trying to defend any problem, it's true that we should ensure to prevent any trivial potential dangers. But it doesn't need to proliferate any baseless fears.
If that was the case, they should re-build the whole thing from scratch or we'd witness a disaster later on. The crack didn't affect the foundation as far as I know.
Old November 10th, 2014, 10:39 AM   #4947
humptydumpty7

Likes (Received): 4627

- The right part of the core went up one floor
- The right tower crane is about to climb up higher
- They started with the steel columns of the next floors!
- Cladding went up

Finally the construction is speeding up!

source and more pics:
http://poison777.tistory.com/5099
http://poison777.tistory.com/5097

Last edited by humptydumpty7; November 10th, 2014 at 06:47 PM.
humptydumpty7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #4948
AbidM

Likes (Received): 1341

They shouldn't dismiss something out of negligence, negligence is what causes death. For example, Rana Plaza in Savar, Dhaka Division, Bangladesh. The owner built 3 more stories without permission and kept building higher, on the 23rd, they saw a crack, sohel rana decided that he couldn't lose profit and insisted everyone go back in on the next day, the 24th, the building collpases. Worst industrial disaster in all of humankind, don't let this be worse than that, learn from the mistakes of others, - secure the perimeter of the building, get an inspection team in before proceeding further with the construction. It's always best to be safe than sorry.

Edit: Yes I am comparing a lowrise to a skyscraper may sound silly but whatever.
"We're all victims of the architect. Architecture is the only art that you can't help but feel. You can avoid paintings, you can avoid music, and you can even avoid history. But good luck getting away from architecture." - Humans of New York
AbidM está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 12:44 PM   #4949
humptydumpty7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbidM View Post
secure the perimeter of the building, get an inspection team in before proceeding further with the construction. It's always best to be safe than sorry.
This has been done in the past 4 months: Construction stops and safety checks. Multiple security checks by national and international experts, which all concluded that the structural integrity of the building is perfectly fine.

If there was the slightest doubt about the buildings structural integrity, Seoul Government would have never permitted to open the mall, as they were extremely strict and demanding about safety issues.

The cracks in the pics before look like cracks in the plastering of the mall, which is quite common around the world. Its sloppy and unprofessional work (like almost everywhere in Korea), but that is obviously no structural problem, just an aesthetic one. Still, it will be investigated, so no worries about this topic please!

Mussoda liked this post
Old November 10th, 2014, 05:07 PM   #4950
Kimiwind1184
Speed Metal God

Likes (Received): 1152

Quote:
They shouldn't dismiss something out of negligence, negligence is what causes death. For example, Rana Plaza in Savar, Dhaka Division, Bangladesh. The owner built 3 more stories without permission and kept building higher, on the 23rd, they saw a crack, sohel rana decided that he couldn't lose profit and insisted everyone go back in on the next day, the 24th, the building collpases. Worst industrial disaster in all of humankind, don't let this be worse than that, learn from the mistakes of others, - secure the perimeter of the building, get an inspection team in before proceeding further with the construction. It's always best to be safe than sorry.

Edit: Yes I am comparing a lowrise to a skyscraper may sound silly but whatever.
They've already done what you call for. Plus it's S.Korea and not some random third world country where all rules are easy to break.

Munwon liked this post
Kimiwind1184 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #4951
AbidM

Thanks guys! I would just hate to see such a beautiful building in a rubble.
"We're all victims of the architect. Architecture is the only art that you can't help but feel. You can avoid paintings, you can avoid music, and you can even avoid history. But good luck getting away from architecture." - Humans of New York

humptydumpty7 liked this post
Old November 11th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #4952
JMGA196

Likes (Received): 5149

I have always had the feeling with this building that they could just decide to suddenly end the core and finish the cladding till the place it is and it still wouldn't look unfinished. And there's still so much to go....

Mimar Sinan - Sebastian Treese - Sejima - Nishizawa - Pawson - Horia Creangă - McKim, Mead & White - Gord Scott - Peter Pennoyer - Charles Hilton - Annabelle Selldorf - Roman and Williams - Morris Adjmi - Diller Scofidio + Renfro

★★★ MAKE ARCHITECTURE GREAT AGAIN! ★★★
JMGA196 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #4953
humptydumpty7

- The left side of the core went up 1 floor
- They are building a new framework between the left and right part of the core
- Right tower crane moved up higher to make space for the floor- and steel construction below it.
- outrigger belt truss seems complete

source: http://poison777.tistory.com/5104
Old November 11th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #4954
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

core splitted now? never seen something like that before
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #4955
humptydumpty7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-II View Post
core splitted now? never seen something like that before

I think its just splittet temporarily. As you see in the plan above, the huge concrete ledge (?) ends at that floor (black circle).
Thats why they disassembled the previous formwork and build a new a bit further back, to close the gap between the left and right core parts. The core will go up as one soon.

Nevertheless, the core will split a bit later at the top, as seen in the plan.

ZZ-II, Shaddorry, swatded, KDreamer, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 11th, 2014, 04:02 PM   #4956
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6525

Thx for that

humptydumpty7 liked this post
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 07:38 PM   #4957
antares031
Deadliest Duckling

Likes (Received): 732

Weekly Update : November 11. 2014

Current status : 374.28m(estimated) / 89 fl

Old November 11th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #4958
AbidM

What is with the awkward duck in every other photo set of the lotte tower
Old November 11th, 2014, 10:55 PM   #4959
kimahrikku1

Quote:
What is with the awkward duck in every other photo set of the lotte tower
It's the Rubber Duck project. It's been to quite a few cities over the world and came to Seoul to coincide with the date of the opening of the 2nd Lotte World to create additional buzz for the department store. But it's only going to be in Seoul until Friday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_Duck_(sculpture)

Shaddorry liked this post
Old November 12th, 2014, 05:14 AM   #4960
bigreach
GF 117 #1, Lotte Tower #2

Likes (Received): 739

Keeping Americans up to date,, or whoever cares 374 meters or 1227ft,
The Seoul Lotte Tower is taller than all but 4 US structures,, ESB will be surpassed in 24 ft or 7.5 meters,, and a few months, then 1wtc will be next at 417m.
(Lotte is going slow,, but it is rising,,)
Then at 421m it will surpass 432PA.
At 443m it will surpass (Sears/Willis) ,, any rooftop in the most advanced nation on the planet. I'll say it again SURPASSES ANYTHING,, IN THE MOST ADVANCED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.. S. Korea, not China is accomplishing this.
I've been studying this awhile, at 1227 feet, this is not stopping anytime soon,, LOOKS INCREDIBLE,, and I just hope 1600+ft will be it's roof, followed by a cool looking 200 ft of whatever that is on top.

Great, very great!!! updates humptydumpty7 ,, Love the pic's Antares, shaddorry...
Where is INNO4321?

inno4321, Mussoda, Shaddorry liked this post

Last edited by bigreach; November 12th, 2014 at 06:05 AM.
bigreach no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
lotte jamsil super tower, lotte world premium tower, lotte world tower, seoul, shinchon-dong, songpa-ku, south korea