daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2015, 05:16 AM   #5881
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Ugly is a matter of taste, I don't think anyone who has ever been to Seoul would call it boring.
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2015, 06:37 AM   #5882
brianmoon85

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt67 View Post
Beautiful building.. shame the city is so boring and ugly.
Not sure what your definition of a 'fun' city is or maybe you just don't know how to have 'fun'? lol I would rather live in a "boring" city (like you stated) like Seoul than live in a city where your only food options are Fast Food and Roasts and Sheperd Pie and potatoes

HOOAH!!
brianmoon85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 11:06 AM   #5883
SH16

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Beautiful building.. shame the city is so boring and ugly.
Seoul boring? What have you been smoking?

inno4321, Ch.W, Zaz965 liked this post
SH16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 11:29 AM   #5884
humptydumpty7

Likes (Received): 4627

source: http://blog.naver.com/feb2nd/220418261552
Old July 13th, 2015, 12:42 PM   #5885
thenewguy16

Likes (Received): 3

Great building!
thenewguy16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 04:01 PM   #5886
Blue Flame
Get Silly!

Likes (Received): 575

The cladding on this building sure is fantastic.
Old July 13th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #5887
Jeck7574

Likes (Received): 5

i love this pic! :3
Jeck7574 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 04:39 PM   #5888
Jeck7574

Likes (Received): 5

lotte

Jeck7574 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #5889
desatento
Usuário Registrado

Likes (Received): 29

This is one of the most beautiful buildings under construction.

humptydumpty7, inno4321 liked this post
desatento no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 07:57 PM   #5890
Everine
Builder of Things

Likes (Received): 13

Yeah, this building is like "hi everybody, i'm your future" in both amazement and a preview of things to come.

But honestly, it does not look as good without the forked-split prior to it's external completion.
Everine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #5891
Celt67

Likes (Received): 1545

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmoon85 View Post
Not sure what your definition of a 'fun' city is or maybe you just don't know how to have 'fun'? lol I would rather live in a "boring" city (like you stated) like Seoul than live in a city where your only food options are Fast Food and Roasts and Sheperd Pie and potatoes
What the f**k are you waffling on about ?

This is an architectural forum. If you want to rate foods of the world, I'm sure theres a food forum somewhere for you. Me, I'll continue to talk about the architecture.. and Seoul is BORING to look at (this building aside).. thousands of identikit high-rises all the same colour, all the same height, all the same design.

BORING.
Celt67 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2015, 08:20 PM   #5892
Everine
Builder of Things

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:

This is an architectural forum. If you want to rate foods of the world, I'm sure theres a food forum somewhere for you. Me, I'll continue to talk about the architecture.. and Seoul is BORING to look at (this building aside).. thousands of identikit high-rises all the same colour, all the same height, all the same design.

BORING.

Eh, not really boring, more like dull-ish. I could see things being dull because of the density of older smaller buildings. But the financial mid-rises are pretty unique (they'd have to be given the amount money), and of course you have the outlining oriental/culturally specific building styles and "green stuff vegetation" that break up the dullness.
Everine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 02:38 AM   #5893
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1029

Quote:

BORING.
Unfortunately true, but only to an extent. A lot of the most recent stuff is very good--look up and down Jong-ro in Jongno-gu, and really all throughout Jongno-gu, Teheran-ro in Gangnam, and a lot of spots in Sinsa-dong in Gangnam. It's undeniable, and unfortunate, that as Inno and others have said, a lot of Seoul's "historic" architecture consists of commieblocks built by landowners looking for profit and nothing else, but considering the intense rate of Seoul's historic urbanization, and the poverty which it only recently (say, three decades ago) escaped, it's not surprising.

Toss in the pseudo-cosmopolitanism of the ruling conservative entities of almost the entirety of South Korea's post-war leadership, a mindset that blindly took from outside of Korea and considered anything born at home to be backwards and stultifying, and it's no wonder that a lot of South Korea's architecture is almost devoid of character. However, that's very rapidly changing, with both international and domestic architecture of wide varieties showing up and, even if it's "ugly and boring" now, it is quite unlikely to stay that way for much longer.

I will add that that's with the proviso that unless Korean businesses and homeowners lose some of their aesthetic conservatism, and unless urban planners join the 21st century, it won't be as good as it could be, but it will be better, in any case. LWT is a perfect example of this.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 06:59 AM   #5894
TheFuturistic

Likes (Received): 3059

In the past decades, Korean chaebols focused on manufacturing businesses and now they have a lot of bucks in pocket so they start investing that money in nice buildings ( even outside korea) so probably in seoul, beside lotte, there will be soon other cool towers that transform the cityscape

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
TheFuturistic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:22 AM   #5895
kimahrikku1

Likes (Received): 7002

Quote:

BORING.
I really disagree with that uninformed statement. I've had the opportunity to go to most European and North American major cities, Dubai and Tokyo, and Seoul's architecture is anything but boring.

Does it have many commiblocks, yes. Does it have many fairly undeveloped districts (from an architectural standpoint), yes, especially in Northeastern Seoul. There's no denying it. But I believe many of today's new projects really stand out (Lotte World Tower, AmorePacific HQ, DDP, Gocheok Dome Stadium, Hyundai Business Global Center, the current projects around Seoul Forest...). And even the smaller sized buildings in Gangnam, Jongno or Yeouido are usually very well designed : they have their own identity, don't seem overly excentric (these usually don't age well), and fit well with their environment. If you look at new buildings, I think they are much better than in Dubai (too tacky and pompous), in the States (many new buildings feel dull and lack identity, and the skyline is made up of fairly lame towers from the 70s or 80s) or China (I haven't been to China, but on pictures, these tower don't seem to fit well with the surrounding urban fabric).

Also, even though it's a "skyscraper" forum, you can't think of buildings without considering the city's shape at all. Seoul is unique in that it features many hills, higher mountains as well as a very large river. This allow for multiple viewpoints.

Finally, the lack of apparent unity between "blocks" and "neighborhoods" makes driving across Seoul a truly amazing experience. Ride a taxi for 20 minutes or so, and you'll pass through a CBD-like district (Yoeuido, Jongno, DMC, Gangnam...), a "commieblock", a bustling intersection, a block full of older low-rise buildings, a river, newer 150m-or-so residential towers, pass by a hill or mountain or park, yet another "CBD-like"district. To me, that's anything but boring. I think that's anything but boring. I've seen the Sheikh Zayed Road, 5th Avenue and Michigan avenue. They might be stunning, but Seoul offers a truly unique and diverse mix of architectural styles.

Last edited by kimahrikku1; July 15th, 2015 at 04:09 AM.
kimahrikku1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #5896
janishkumar
Skyline hunter

Likes (Received): 162

beautiful and wonderful building in equally beautiful city
janishkumar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 10:44 PM   #5897
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12445

More photos and Above photos copyright belong to 늘보아제 (ppband7) http://blog.naver.com/ppband7/220409023705
사진을 퍼와서 죄송합니다. 혹시 사진의 주인분께서 삭제를 원하실경우 주져하지 마시고 제게 댓글이나 쪽지를 요청하시면
즉각 바로 삭제하겠습니다. 좋은 사진 찍어주셔서 감사합니다.

Well
Everyone have their own individual philosophy
It is up to you.

is Seoul an ugly city?
I partly agree. a lot of street vendors cart block all pedestrian waking board.
Crazy cars parking everywhere. People used to spitting in public. Dirty ugly bill board covered all building's cladding. ton of thousands illegal banner put up everywhere.
but Seoul's strong point is there are lot of mountain and river in the city. So
you can see different fantastic view point in the mountain and river.
No other global city can;t beat seoul's mountain and river. these are differentiated from other cities.

also about city's colors. Seoul is gray city. I admit it especially compared with europe. I think this is matter of ethnic. I love what europian's colorful painting and choosing color for interior.
meanwhile we didn;t..... some prefer gray color.

About boring?
Did you ever visiting to seoul?
Seoul is not boring at all! a lot of korean go to the europe and asia and america city for tour.

Everyone saying they can't do anything in the night. Seoul can go anywhere in the middle of the night. very cheap price and all shops open until midnight.
I'm not offensive means but frankly europe citise seems like a museum. They are beauty and elegance but really boring.
and many korean surprised dirty smell came up from subway station and Mice running on the subway rail!!! and all toilet closed for citizens and even to drink minela water must be pay for and inconvenient public transfer system.these are very compared with seoul

and plus dangerous you know in seoul even woman can sleep in the street but no one hurt she until morning.
In the world only 2 or 3 major city possible seoul / japan citise / singafore...

In short
I agree that seoul is ugly
But i can;t agree that seoul is boring.

ONE WORDS "Seoul is fun but crazy" is appropriate for the occasion.

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321

(the), gaab1972, Equario liked this post

Last edited by inno4321; July 14th, 2015 at 10:55 PM.
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:04 AM   #5898
brianmoon85

Likes (Received): 388

Celt67 Boring architecturally? Maybe and although European cities are beautiful architecturally but they are the most BORING after 8pm especially the Isle area (England, Scotland, Ireland).

As someone who've been to all three, An English/Irish/Scottish Pub are some of the most boring establishments I've ever walked my superior Hipster New Yorker self into. It just seems more like YOUR LIFE is BORING

HOOAH!!

Last edited by brianmoon85; July 15th, 2015 at 04:13 AM.
brianmoon85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 04:46 AM   #5899
enrigue8
BANNED

Likes (Received): 708

Good not far to be topped out.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
enrigue8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2015, 06:43 AM   #5900
Astraios

Likes (Received): 96

I would argue that street vendors make Seoul Seoul. There is A LOT of crazy parking though.
Astraios no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
lotte jamsil super tower, lotte world premium tower, lotte world tower, seoul, shinchon-dong, songpa-ku, south korea