daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 22nd, 2015, 02:08 PM   #5921
humptydumpty7

Likes (Received): 4626

source and more: http://tcacyc.blog.me/220427540926

another LED test.
source: http://blog.naver.com/intiv2/220427842556

Sponsored Links
Old July 22nd, 2015, 03:19 PM   #5922
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12418

LOVELY LED!!!! AWESOME!

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 03:32 PM   #5923
humptydumpty7

This view of Seoul will become very iconic once the tower is finished

source and more:
http://blog.naver.com/suntill0210/220426172919
Old July 23rd, 2015, 05:36 PM   #5924
VRS

Likes (Received): 11519

theres no any single towers 200m surround that tower area....
its make Lotte tower very dominated object

inno4321 liked this post
VRS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2015, 07:28 PM   #5925
pinta084

Likes (Received): 228

http://www.diod eo.com/news/view/1070686

Last edited by pinta084; July 23rd, 2015 at 07:47 PM.
pinta084 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 12:33 AM   #5926
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

I don't have follow the whole thread but red sometimes that it's nearly impossible to build a supertall in Seoul. Why is this so? Could someone explain it briefly? Are there reasonable causes or is it more a question of ideology?
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 08:13 AM   #5927
brianmoon85

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.W View Post
I don't have follow the whole thread but red sometimes that it's nearly impossible to build a supertall in Seoul. Why is this so? Could someone explain it briefly? Are there reasonable causes or is it more a question of ideology?
Probably from threats from North Korea but also because Real Estate war is a pain in the ass in Korea and the worst in Seoul and there are just so many rules. In Seoul, you would go to jail for living in a mansion despite having low income. My relatives have land in Seocho District but cannot sell it due to the 'green belt' policy that the Seoul government has that prevents urbanization from spreading outside the city. It sucks ass cuz I'm pretty sure the land is worth a lot

HOOAH!!
brianmoon85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 09:43 AM   #5928
humptydumpty7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.W View Post
I don't have follow the whole thread but red sometimes that it's nearly impossible to build a supertall in Seoul. Why is this so? Could someone explain it briefly? Are there reasonable causes or is i more a question of ideology?
One of several reasons:
During Korea's economic boom period (70s/80s) the market was very isolated. Foreign firms couldn't enter the market and Korean conglomerates were all about fast growth, quick expansion and massive exports. There was enough land in Seoul to build flat headquarters, so there was no incentive for building high.
Also, because of the market isolation, there was no need to attract foreign firms to settle down. (Like today you attract with fancy skyscraper offices).
So basically there was no benefit seen in building skyscrapers at that time.
Additionally the building code was very strict for highrises, and military needs were often more important. (For a long time, for example, all highrises needed to have a helipad on the top. This was a horror for architects to design attractive skyscrapers)

Just since the early 2000's things began to change and there were lots of (too) ambicious plans to build skyscrapers (like Yongsan IBD), but the financial crysis from 2008 destroyed most plans.

Now, with a relatively open market for foreign ivestment and Seoul trying to directly compete with as Shanghai or Tokyo as a business location, things are getting better for skyscrapers than 20 or 30 years ago.

anyway, a bit off topic.

Ch.W liked this post
humptydumpty7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 10:01 AM   #5929
kimahrikku1

Likes (Received): 6998

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianmoon85 View Post
Probably from threats from North Korea but also because Real Estate war is a pain in the ass in Korea and the worst in Seoul and there are just so many rules. In Seoul, you would go to jail for living in a mansion despite having low income. My relatives have land in Seocho District but cannot sell it due to the 'green belt' policy that the Seoul government has that prevents urbanization from spreading outside the city. It sucks ass cuz I'm pretty sure the land is worth a lot
Many uninformed statements in that comment...

Security is a reason, but not North Korea specifically. Air traffic for military aircrafts plays a role in some decisions. The most famous exemples are the Seoul Air Base (actually located in Seongnam) and the Yongsan garrison. So for security reasons, these areas are kept low, and it's the case for others as well. But the reason is security overall, not really specific to North Korean threats.

Secondly, and this is probably the most important thing : money. Compared to London, Tokyo, New York or Hong Kong, land is fairly cheap in Seoul, so constructions in Korea are not dictated by economic and density pressures as much. Unlike Hong Kong, if a tower goes up, it's not because there is a desperate need for more square feet of space, it's mostly because someone "wants" to have a nice tower (as an upgrade, a landmark, a sign of prestige...). Also, despite Seoul being very dense, additional pressure has not led in Korea to taller buildings, but to new Satellite cities : Songdo, Cheongna, Ilsan, Dongtan, and now Wuire, Byeollae or Hanam. This takes a lot of pressure off the need to build higher, when you can turn rice fields into new towns of 100,000...

Another thing to consider is that there are many constructions in Korea, but many are for fairly standard residences. Unlike developed cities (Tokyo, New York) where each new building has to up the ante, there are many places in Seoul fairly undeveloped, and many constructions underway for Lotte Castle, The Sharp,... towers of 120-150 meters. Just by looking at the satellite, there are 3 such projects in Yeongdungpo, 3 in eastern Seocho, 2 in southern gangnam, a potential huge one in Songpa (Jamsil lot 5), three around Geumho-dong just east of Namsan, a big one in Geumcheon and another big one a bit east of Dongdaemun Design Plaza, one near Changsin station, a couple right near Ewha University, one west of Seoul Station and one next to the Gyeonghuigung palace... That is a lot of construction, more than many cities, but those projects go fairly unnoticed, as there are significant upgrades over low-rise areas, yet not significant enough to be considered "landmarks".

Another reason is that Koreans are "powerpoint experts". What I mean by that is that Koreans are very good at embellishment, making great presentations and overall "selling projects" that are actually grandiose visions. In many countries, these projects would stay underground until some financing or legal work is already underway, but Koreans often show many wild projects with little chance of completions. Hence the disappointment for those like us expecting new constructions, when these projects don't come to fruiction.

Finally, politics and legal environments do play a role. Yes, there are many commissions, and legal appeals, and paperworks to build in Korea... if you compare it to emerging countries (China, the Middle East), but I'm pretty sure it's easier to build in Seoul than in any city in the developed world :
- Singapore has I believe some kind of a 300-m limit for safety reasons
- Hong Kong construction has slowed down since the 2010s
- Tokyo, despite a few significant buildings in Minato or Shinjuku, has less skyscrapers than Seoul.
- London is too expensive, and has few projects outside of Canary Wharf
- In the States, legal costs are almost prohibitive, and unions and syndicated construction workers make each project a nightmare
- In the rest of Europe, it's almost impossible to build. I'm pretty sure in Paris proper you can't go over 7 or 8 floors without needing some kind of a near-impossible-to-obtain permit...

It is true that the current Seoul Government is not as pro-skyscrapers as others might have been, but still, if you compare to most major metropolis around the world, there is quite a lot of leeway to build in Seoul. Also, it's not like mayor Park Won-Sun stole his election or deceit his electorate. The 2014 election in Seoul was very much a clear duel between a social-orientated candidate (M. Park Won Sun), wanting to curb corporate influence and excessive urban projects, and M. Chung Moong-Joon, an entrepreneur for whom infrastructure and urbanism was a big priority. The candidates' platforms were clear, and Park Won Sun won in a landslide. I think little of the mayor and I would have wanted M. Chung to win, but the citizens of Seoul made their choice, and if you want to assign blame, blame the citizens for embracing this Platform. Same goes with Lotte World Tower and its security issues. Most experts agree that there are no structural problems with the tower, yet the vast majority of Seoul citizens are scared of it and don't like it. It's hard to blame a politician who wants to score political points by following at least 70% of the citizens in criticizing the tower.

Finally, and this is the most important point. It is NOT going slowly in Seoul (and Korea). Even excluding transport infrastructures (the airport extension, Suseo station, multitude of planned subway lines, the KTX line to Pyeongchang for the Olympics, new highways), there are a TON of huge projects in Seoul. How many cities in the world can claim to have a 555-m tower almost topped out (Lotte World Tower), a 571-m one in prep (Hyundai Global Business Center), a 330-m one about to resume construction (Parc1), and a potential huge new project (the DMC one). And there are also parc projects (the Yongsan garrison), as well as many 200-250-m projects all around the city (one right next to Parc1, Seocho Lotte Town, thhe Jamsil Lot 5 in Songpa across the 1st Lotte World, buildings around the Yongsan Garrison and Seoul Forest, huge redevelopment plans for the Jamsil Sports Complex...)

Grass isn' t always greener on the other side of the fence...

Last edited by kimahrikku1; July 24th, 2015 at 06:31 PM.
kimahrikku1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #5930
inno4321

bukhansan mountain I was military service in there
climbing possible no one global city but only in seoul climbing possible.

More photos and Above photos copyright belong to http://leeflower79.blog.me/220283143590
사진을 퍼와서 죄송합니다. 혹시 사진의 주인분께서 삭제를 원하실경우 주져하지 마시고 제게 댓글이나 쪽지를 요청하시면
즉각 바로 삭제하겠습니다. 좋은 사진 찍어주셔서 감사합니다.

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321

Last edited by inno4321; July 24th, 2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old July 24th, 2015, 11:11 AM   #5931
inno4321

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimahrikku1 View Post
Many uninformed statements in that comment...

Security is a reason, but not North Korea specifically. Air traffic for military aircrafts plays a role in some décisions. The most famous exemples are the Seoul Air Base (actually located in Seongnam) and the Yongsan garrison. So for security reasons, these areas are kept low, and it's the case for others as well. But the reason is security overall, not really specific to North Korean threats.

Secondly, and this is probably the most important thing : money. Compared to London, Tokyo, New York or Hong Kong, land is fairly cheap in Seoul, so constructions in Korea are not dictated by economic and density pressures as much. Unlike Hong Kong, if a tower goes up, it's not because there is a desperate need for more square feet of space, it's mostly because someone "wants" to have a nice tower (as an upgrade, a landmark, a sign of prestige...). Also, despite Seoul being very dense, additional pressure as not led in Korea to taller buildings, but to new Satellite cities : Songdo, Cheongna, Ilsan, Dongtan, and now Wuire, Byeollae or Hanam. This takes a lot of pressure of the need to build higher, when you can turn rice fields into new towns of 100,000...

Another thing to consider is that there are many constructions in Korea, but many are for fairly standard résidences. Unlike developed cities (Tokyo, New York) where each new building has to up the ante, there are many places in Seoul fairly undeveloped, and many constructions underway for Lotte Castle, The Sharp,... towers of 120-150 meters. Just by looking at the satellite, there are 3 such projects in Yeongdungpo, 3 in eastern Seocho, 2 in southern gangnam, a potential huge one in Songpa (Jamsil lot 5), three around Geumho-dong just east of Namsan, a big one in Geumcheon and another big one a bit east of Dongdaemun Design Plaza, one near Changsin station, a couple right near Ewha University, one west of Seoul Station and one next to the Gyeonghuigung palace... That is a lot of construction, more than many cities, but those projects go fairly unnoticed, as there are significant upgrades over low-rise areas, yet not significant enough to be considered "landmarks".

Another reason is that Koreans are "powerpoint experts". What I mean by that is that Koreans are very good at embellishment, making great presentations and overall "selling projects" that are actually grandiose visions. In many countries, these projects would stay underground until some financing or legal work is already underway, but Koreans often show many wild projects will little chance of completions. Hence the disappointment for those like us expecting new constructions, when these projects don't come to fruiction.

Finally, politics and legal environments do play a role. Yes, there are many commission, and legal appeals, and paperworks to build in Korea... but if you compare it to emerging countries (China, the Middle East), but I'm pretty sure it's easier to build in Seoul than in any city in the developed world :
- Singapore has I believe some kind of a 300-m limit for safety reasons
- Hong Kong construction has slowed down since the 2010s
- Tokyo, despite a few significant buildings in Minato or Shinjuku, has less skyscrapers than Seoul.
- London is too expensive, and has few projects outside of Canary Wharf
- In the States, legal costs are almost prohibitive, and unions and syndicated construction workers make each project a nightmare
- In the rest of Europe, it's almost impossible to build. I'm pretty sure in Paris proper you can't go over 7 a 8 floors without needing some kind of a near-impossible-to-obtain permit...

It is true that the current Seoul Government is not as pro-skyscrapers as others might have been, but still, if you compare to most major metropolis around the world, there is quite a lot of leeway to build in Seoul. Also, it's not like mayor Park Won-Sun stole his election or deceit his electorate. The 2014 election in Seoul was very much a clear duel social-orientated candidate (M. Park Won Sun), wanting to curb corporate influence and excessive urban projects, and M. Chung Moong-Joon, an entrepreneur for whom infrastructure and urbanism was a big priority. The candidates' platforms were clear, and Park Won Sun won in a landslide. I think little of the mayor and I would have wanted M. Chung to win, but the citizens of Seoul made their joice, and if you want to assign blame, blame the citizens for embracing this Platform. Same goes with Lotte World Tower and its security issues. Most experts agree that there are no structural problems with the tower, yet the vast majority of Seoul citizens are scared of it and don't like it. It's hard to blame a politician who wants to score political points by following at least 70% of the citizens in critizicing the tower.

Finally, and this is the most important point. It is NOT going slowly in Seoul (and Korea). Even excluding transport infrastructures (the airport extension, Suseo station, multitude of planned subway lines, the KTX line to Pyeongchang for the Olympics, new highways), there are a TON of huge projects in Seoul. How many cities in the world can claim to have a 555-m tower almost topped out (Lotte World Tower), a 571-m one in prep (Hyundai Global Business Center), a 330-m one about to resume construction (Parc1), and a potential huge new project (the DMC one). And there are also parc projects (the Yongsan garrison), as well as many 200-250-m projects all around the city (one right next to Parc1, Seocho Lotte Town, thhe Jamsil Lot 5 in Songpa across the 1st Lotte World, buildings around the Yongsan Garrison and Seoul Forest, huge redevelopment plans for the Jamsil Sports Complex...)

Grass isn' t always greener on the other side of the fence...

In my Opinions not really 100% true but 99% true about my city seoul.
and very profound deep knowledge about global cities. good information

right Security is a reason not north pig greedy kim jung eun but just inner city air port limit and regulation.

green belt is problem for brian's relative? Well i don;t care probably that green belt occupy by illegal greedy mafia. Go and check u can see 컨테이너박스 container box in there. that is korean style. well many green belt useless and damaged by people. but i don;t really like korean american's negative comment and utter about korea.

u are right beside other developed country's capital city where " each new building has to up the ante" Seoul fairly have a lot of empty space for new project.

as he said geumcheon district my home town Even have a lot of new project recently huge Mac donald drive through building completed(even i didn;t notice when almost completed), new post office building U/C, huge empty land prepare new project(this is not lotte castle project), new residences 47 fl, gangnam connected high way u/c etc

I give up check and arranged those manys news project about my village.
But surprisingly my village is poor district n seoul! Thinks about even poor district have a many countless new project ongoing then how about the other seoul district? Seoul have 24 district. We can;t check those many project easily.
Seoulites didn;t care about new building and huge project cause that is too normal! So i admit seoul have a lot of new space compare with other global cities.

and about korean embellishment...well like spain's construction booming korea economy leading by construction company. So there are a lot of employee earn salary from construction marketing(embellishment)
but is this main reason for many prestige project disappear. We can blame that? well complicated. Imo with "embellishment" plus we must add "political" and "greedy citizens who want more compensation" that is YONGSAN IBD.

Well as kmi said there are lot of new project in the line in seoul. not only parc1 hyundai 571 88 olympic redevelopment. yongsan national park sanam dmc magok etc

even today GS construction consortium get construction right for gangnam civil apartment's redevelop project. You know that is civil residence but imagine how much GS buying that project right? $ 1 billions USD.

LAST about st**pid mayor park won sung e. I can;t explain about that guys's Vandalism about Seoul because TOO MANY BEHAVIOR DID TO summary short comment. he ruin and stop Former mayor;s prestige project. and Spit on those project!

I bet that be**t go to jail.

But We can;t blame on him alone, Cause we seoulite vote him
So now days's seoul disaster due to st**pid seoulites own. blame on ourselves

However since 2 years park won sung e regime seoul but seoulite sick n tired with that guys's crazy policy(for example planting rice in nu dul opera house)
So according to seoul mayor election Survey.. Mr chung mong jun leading until final vote days but suddenly SAEWALL" ship sinking accident and hundred student drown. So people blame national party and president therefor they vote for opposite party who wong sung e. End up wong sung e RE-ELECTED

In short wong sung e reelected not because he doing well but because tragic accident SAEWALL

In short even Seoul is advanced city but seems like under develop city.

Ch.W liked this post

Last edited by inno4321; July 24th, 2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old July 24th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #5932
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50739

DSCF2504 by Kyu-Sang Lee, on Flickr

inno4321, aquaticko, SH16, SLASH_2, PPSCILLA and 6 others liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 12:33 AM   #5933
Ch.W

Likes (Received): 5180

Thanks a lot for the answers and good explanations. That makes things much more clearer

inno4321, humptydumpty7 liked this post
Ch.W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2015, 12:40 AM   #5934
robertitoam

Likes (Received): 198

When will this baby be topped out? Im probs going to seoul in october :3

inno4321, Shaddorry liked this post
robertitoam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 05:31 AM   #5935
brianmoon85

Just letting you guys know, Yongsan Garrison is going NOWHERE out of Seoul. As a US Army Solider stationed in Korea, I'm just telling the truth whether you guys agree or disagree. Once we get out and move to Pyeongtaek, expect a war break out.

HOOAH!!
Old July 27th, 2015, 05:59 AM   #5936
kimahrikku1

Quote:
Just letting you guys know, Yongsan Garrison is going NOWHERE out of Seoul. As a US Army Solider stationed in Korea, I'm just telling the truth whether you guys agree or disagree. Once we get out and move to Pyeongtaek, expect a war break out.
First, this is a thread about Lotte World Tower, and not about Yongsan. So if you wanna discuss this, please refer to the appropriate thread (or to "Seoul - Projects and Construction"

Secondly, I believe you're enlisted, and not a high-ranking officer, so I don't thing you have much more insight - apart from rumors you might here in the dining hall - than most of us on what's going on with the transfer of US troops from Yongsan to Pyeongtaek and of the current negociations between the US Army and their Korean counterparts (ROK Armed Forces, Seoul City, Korean Government).

Finally, that statement about a war breaking out is just ludicrous. I strongly doubt that North Koreans are thinking about invading South Korea (much less successfully), and it's even more doubtful that their decision to attack would depend on whether the US Armed Forces are located in Yongsan or Pyeongtaek...

I can't say for sure whether the US troops will leave Yongsan by 2017, as these kind of things can indeed drag out for years, despite an agreement in place, but your statement lacks discernment, caution, good sense, and reliable sources.
Old July 27th, 2015, 06:02 AM   #5937
kimahrikku1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertitoam View Post
When will this baby be topped out? Im probs going to seoul in october :3
The current plan is for all the floors (123) to be built by the end of the year. We're at about 105-7 right now, so I think by October it could reach 115th floor or so. But even once Floor 123 is done, it will note be truly topped out, as there is a floorless 50-meter or so crown/spire that will go up on top of the building, but I think that is for early 2016 rather than late 2015.

robertitoam liked this post
Old July 27th, 2015, 08:59 AM   #5938
Victoria123

Likes (Received): 1765

kimahrikku1, Seoul_Korea liked this post
Victoria123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2015, 03:26 PM   #5939
brianmoon85

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimahrikku1 View Post
First, this is a thread about Lotte World Tower, and not about Yongsan. So if you wanna discuss this, please refer to the appropriate thread (or to "Seoul - Projects and Construction"

Secondly, I believe you're enlisted, and not a high-ranking officer, so I don't thing you have much more insight - apart from rumors you might here in the dining hall - than most of us on what's going on with the transfer of US troops from Yongsan to Pyeongtaek and of the current negociations between the US Army and their Korean counterparts (ROK Armed Forces, Seoul City, Korean Government).

Finally, that statement about a war breaking out is just ludicrous. I strongly doubt that North Koreans are thinking about invading South Korea (much less successfully), and it's even more doubtful that their decision to attack would depend on whether the US Armed Forces are located in Yongsan or Pyeongtaek...

I can't say for sure whether the US troops will leave Yongsan by 2017, as these kind of things can indeed drag out for years, despite an agreement in place, but your statement lacks discernment, caution, good sense, and reliable sources.
typical over-sensitive Korean reply...I bet you're one of those anti-Yoo Seung Jun too right? And Oh you mentioned Yongsan Garrison first and pretty sure not everyone knows what or where that is. You FOB Koreans take things wayyy too seriously and can't take sarcasm or criticism from others...plus I've been in this forum wayyy before you...where did YOU pop out from? Btw I'm 32 and don't eat at the 'dining halls' lolll

SH16 liked this post
Old July 27th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #5940
humptydumpty7

The 2nd outrigger seems to be almost finished

After this the construction should proceed rather quickly, even though heavy rains could slow down the whole process a little bit.

source: http://byejun017.blog.me/220432960266

Quote:
typical over-sensitive Korean reply...I bet you're one of those anti-Yoo Seung Jun too right? [...] I've been in this forum wayyy before you...where did YOU pop out from?
Same like your "typical over-sensitive reply" (to use your own words), and also unnecessarily insulting.
Now back to topic.

Tags
lotte jamsil super tower, lotte world premium tower, lotte world tower, seoul, shinchon-dong, songpa-ku, south korea