daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #201
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1138

Survived tram line’s map, compare with former map

PCC rolling stock in present line

Moyada rolling stock in present line

As I wrote before, most tram routes have closed here, but I can’t find about those closed routes. Please write some details about those closed routes details from one point to another.

big-dog liked this post
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #202
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
It's a pity there existing relatively few videos of this network operating.
Well I was able to take a few pictures of Mexico City's metro from the platform but I can see why there are few videos because the system is so extensively used therefore crowded. I nearly had to shove myself into one of the trains and it was not even rush hour.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #203
Ashis Mitra

Please try to answer these -
1) Which is the busiest tram terminus?
2) Is there any plan to extend the network? If yes, please post some details including map.
Old August 12th, 2013, 08:45 PM   #204
Abbendymion
Get Ready

Likes (Received): 1062

What has been said before about Mexico City's rubber-tired metro is true. It does require a higher investment, and it's also true that for investment-saving reasons, lines A and 12 have steel-wheeled cars. Specifically, Line 12 has broken the paradigm about rubber-tired metro being the only train type to operate in the inner-city. Mexico City has an irregular topography, but it's not something to really worry about. Slopes are not that hard, compared to many other cities, and the area within the downtown and most of the center suburbs is flat (It is a dried lake-bed).
Choosing rubber-tired metro has something more to do with the advice and help Mexico City subway planners had from French engineers, I don't really know. Maybe at that time, having this topography and soil composition would indeed have required a different solution than steel-wheeled trains into deep-carved tunnels. But, in spite of all that, slopes, curves and stops are 'performed' well for a rubber-tired metro system, and it serves its function. Most of the system is built with street-cut boxed-viaduct underground solution.

-- Answers --

1) What is the target year of opening line 10 & 11?

There were more than two different plans for Lines "10" and "11", as well as other lines as far as "19" at one time, I recall one plan from 1985 which stated completion time by 2010 (not only lines 10 and 11, but all the other ones as well), and another from 1995 with goal year 2020. None of them are officially considered as being the current plans, so things can change at any moment. No one knows with certainty at this moment what will happen.

2) Why line 10 & 11 were not built earlier than line 12?

Seems like the potential demand of Line 12 was higher than the other ones, and since L12 project did not change over the years, and by the layout of built lines at that time, especially in the south area of Mexico City, made seem like Line 12 would be the best option for next line (since connected most of the existing lines heading south). As a reminder, Line 9 was built before Line 8.
Also, current Line "B" is a route fusion of 1985's Line 10 and B. "Current" plan (?) for Line 10 is where BRT Line 1 already is, so, as I said, no one knows.

3) Left side, right side or both side, - which type of platforms are in most numbers in Mexico City subway network?

Right side layout (used mostly for underground and elevated stations): 141 stations
Left side layout (used mostly for ground level stations): 36 stations
Both sides layout (Barcelona-style): 6 stations*
Terminal layout (3 tracks, 2 platforms): 12 stations

* Line 8 Garibaldi station has Both-side layout but since is used as the current terminal (expansion plans take this line as far as Line 3 Indios Verdes), the middle platform is closed (it lacks from usable escalators and hallways too)

4) Elevated, ground level or underground, - which type of stations are in most numbers in Mexico City subway network?

Underground, deep tunnel: 14 stations
Underground, street-cut: 101 stations
Ground Level: 55 stations
Elevated: 25 stations

* Line 1 Observatorio Station is located at the slope of a hill, longitudinally, so half station is ground level and the other half is 'underground', but is still considered ground level.

5) Which are the highest and deepest stations of Mexico City metro?

Deepest: Constituyentes station, line 7
Highest: Periférico Oriente, line 12

6) Which is the busiest metro station?

Station-conglomerate: Pantitlan station, lines 1, 5, 9 and A (Obviously)
Single station: Cuatro Caminos station, line 2

7) Which stations have interchange facility with suburban rail network?

Buenavista Station, line B
Ferreria Station , line 6
There are actual interchange hallways, like transferring to another line, no need to take a foot outside of the system, but you still have to pay and pass a turnstile.

8) Where is/are the depot(s) of the subway network?

Line 1: 19°24'56.96"N, 99° 4'50.18"O* (also serves Line 5) / 19°23'50.97"N, 99°12'9.08"O
Line 2: 19°27'45.95"N, 99°13'4.36"O / 19°20'38.34"N, 99° 8'26.17"O*
Line 3: 19°29'53.63"N, 99° 7'16.53"O* / 19°19'5.23"N, 99°10'27.63"O
Line 5: 19°30'12.16"N, 99° 9'1.14"O / 19°24'50.32"N, 99° 4'11.01"O
Lines 6/7: 19°30'21.62"N, 99°11'56.03"O*
Line 8: 19°20'32.15"N, 99° 3'3.20"O
Line 9: 19°25'12.79"N, 99° 3'45.63"O
Line B: 19°32'44.58"N, 99° 1'21.73"O*
Line 12: 19°17'5.83"N, 99° 1'6.70"O* (exclusive for Line 12 steel wheel cars)
Line A: 19°25'12.90"N, 99° 4'1.40"O / 19°20'44.21"N, 98°57'31.31"O*(exclusive for Line A steel wheel cars, different from L12)
* Major depots

Clarion
abbendymion.tumblr.com
Current Log: CP1### (Ans 11.2)

HP
abbhyperion.tumblr.com

Proudly, a GrNe production

Last edited by Abbendymion; August 12th, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
Abbendymion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #205
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbendymion View Post
Choosing rubber-tired metro has something more to do with the advice and help Mexico City subway planners had from French engineers, I don't really know.
Montreal and Santiago de Chile got advice from french engineers, too. At that time rubber-tired metros offered a more comfortable ride but since than steel-wheels improved, too. There are some problems with rubber-tired systems on wet surface. Did Sapporo-metro put their rubber-tired surface-tracks in a shelter for that reason? I´m not sure. But Monteal never built an overground metro with rubber-tires because of the harsh winters.

Surprisingly french-influenced Caracas-metro started with steel-wheels back in the early 80s. Caracas uses trains which were designed for the Teheran-metro-project, kept on hold due to political changes in the early 80s.

Do you have a map of the projected lines? Nice information about Mexico-city anyway.

Kind regards
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2013, 10:25 PM   #206
Abbendymion
Get Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunnel owl View Post
There are some problems with rubber-tired systems on wet surface. Did Sapporo-metro put their rubber-tired surface-tracks in a shelter for that reason? I´m not sure. But Monteal never built an overground metro with rubber-tires because of the harsh winters.
Yup, and it's a nightmare. Speed is thrown down to 25 km/h or less when it's raining. Ground-level and elevated sections of routes suffer from this problems all the time, and there are no shelter structures in any line. Thank God there is no snow here... There are diffuse projects to build some kind of structure on Line 2 which possesses one of the longest ground level sections of the network, and it's very crowded.

Quote:
Do you have a map of the projected lines? Nice information about Mexico-city anyway.
Yes, but those official maps in spanish are harsh and dry so I won't post them here. I will make my own versions of those official maps in english, following the designer spirit.

Clarion
abbendymion.tumblr.com

HP
abbhyperion.tumblr.com

Old August 13th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #207
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

I never imagined pneumatic traction suffering hydroplaning I suppose the speed restriction stem from poor drainage
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #208
tunnel owl

Likes (Received): 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
I never imagined pneumatic traction suffering hydroplaning I suppose the speed restriction stem from poor drainage
I think it´s more about the high noise-level from squeezing. Heard this about the surface parts of Paris-Metro with rubber-tires.

Of cause there was another problem which is fixed since a long time. The fire in Montreal Honoré-Beaugrand siding-tracks in 1971 went that horrible not only but mainly because of the rubber-tires. But meanwhile all those metros have a special filling with nitrogen oxid or something like that.

Kind regards
tunnel owl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #209
Ashis Mitra

Thank you very much Abbendymion for your details answer, but the depot's position is too complex. Can you name the places of those depot? Thanks again.
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #210
Ashis Mitra

Mexico City's tram reminds me Adelaide & Sapporo because those cities also one line left and all other lines are closed.
Old August 15th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #211
Patryk

Likes (Received): 55

Trains and stations are very modern. Do you have maybe some maps of extension of Mexico's metro system ??
Patryk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #212
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

This is a video I posted a while back showing various trains in Mexico City.

Go to 0.55 for some shots of the Mexico City tram! Enjoy

Chilenofuturista liked this post
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #213
Ashis Mitra

The video is great. The point changing of the tram reminds my city Kolkata, where like Mexico city, still a points-man changes track points manually with a long iron rod.

At last I got a details city centre map of Mexico City tram, when it was in peak point of patronage.
Old August 29th, 2013, 03:55 AM   #214
Abbendymion
Get Ready

Promised maps:
Old Mexico City metro expansion projects (none of them are considered current, but all of them were offical at the time)

today

Source: (Post with all official maps)
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...ostcount=10791

Enjoy!

to Ashis Mitra: (Excuse me, I thought posting coordinates for depots was useful but I did try copy/paste in Google Earth and it didn't work. =( . So here they are)

Depots:
Line 1: between Zaragoza and Pantitlan stations, north from Zaragoza avenue* (also serves Line 5 / First depot in system) / West from Observatorio station
Line 2: West from Cuatro Caminos station, behind military school / All around Tasqueña station*
Line 3: west from Indios Verdes station* / south from Universidad station
Line 5: north from Politécnico station (no shelter) / east from Pantitlan station
Lines 6/7: All around El Rosario station, new trains arrive here*
Line 8: East from Constitución de 1917 station
Line 9: Northeast from Pantitlan station
Line B: North from Ciudad Azteca station*
Line 12: Southwest from Tlahuac station* (exclusive for Line 12 steel wheel cars)
Line A: Northeast from Pantitlan station / Southeast from La Paz station*(exclusive for Line A steel wheel cars, different from L12)
* Major depots

Clarion
abbendymion.tumblr.com

HP
abbhyperion.tumblr.com

tunnel owl, geometarkv liked this post
Old September 1st, 2013, 08:08 PM   #215
trainrover

I applaud Mexico City's wide-scale adoption of 3-platform-dual-track stations one of the few smart ideas that transit planners of the day are capable of drumming up

Old September 1st, 2013, 08:13 PM   #216
trainrover

Old September 1st, 2013, 10:03 PM   #217
trainrover

Old September 1st, 2013, 10:06 PM   #218
trainrover

Old November 5th, 2013, 01:47 AM   #219
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Are there any plans to expand the suburban train? I remember reading once about a plan to extend it to Polanco as well as Naucalpan, but I have no idea if it got beyond just a fantasy.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2013, 03:46 AM   #220

Likes (Received): 1113

Mexico City Metro is excellent, it would be nice to have some benches though
009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mexico city