daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 18th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #241
elekto
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7048

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maadeuurija View Post
Any idea what kind of rolling stock will be used?
we are getting closer to know it, this September 24th is the deadline for the rolling stock bids.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post117466151
elekto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #242
Abbendymion
Get Ready

Likes (Received): 1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Mexico City recently unveiled plans to develop a brand-new airport on part of the mostly-dry Lake Texcoco to replace their existing one. Will there be any expansion of the Mexico City Metro to support the new airport, (by way of an existing line or a completely new line)? Or will such an expansion be virtually impossible? If such an expansion is realized, it could become part of a potential "eighth stage" for the Mexico City Metro (after the seven that have been completed so far), along with a potential extension of at least one line to the Santa Fe district that I already mentioned in this thread.
Quite a number of proposals have been made, but no official statement is currently planned. They only stablished that a massive public transport link from city to airport is mandatory, and also, it's supposed to be part of the new aerodrome's master plan.

Clarion
abbendymion.tumblr.com
Current Log: CP1### (Ans 11.2)

HP
abbhyperion.tumblr.com

Proudly, a GrNe production
Abbendymion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #243
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxwood View Post
That is the most obvious extension that should be done, it would help tie in Santa Fe business district with the rest of the city. But there appear to be no plans for that, despite talks of expanding lines 12 & 9 westward, they will stop short of reaching Santa Fe. My guess as to why this is not happening is because residents of that area are fearful that a metro expansion would bring in undesirables. This happened in Los Angeles with the purple line/wilshire subway, which is why it stops short of reaching Beverly Hills and the west side.
I don't think that's it. Polanco has a metro station and nobody complains about that...

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #244
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26195

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

Mexico City tenders Line 12 extension
Wednesday, October 15, 2014

THE government of the Federal District of Mexico City has begun tendering for the construction of the 4km extension of metro Line 12 from its western terminus at Mixcoac to an interchange with Line 1 at Observatorio

The first tender covers project management and technical support services, with tendering for the civil works contract due to begin before the end of November. The government has decided not tender the electrical and mechanical element of the project and this work will be carried out by Alstom, which supplied and installed electrification and CBTC on the initial phase of the line.

The Pesos 7bn ($US 520m) extension will include one intermediate station serving the district of Álvaro Obregón. The project is due to be completed at the end of 2016

elekto liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #245
elekto
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7048

this extention is for connecting the metro Line 12 to the Mexico-Toluca Intercity that is under construction.

dimlys1994 liked this post
elekto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 03:16 AM   #246
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 849

"When an earthquake struck Mexico City in September of 1985, many buildings and streets were left with major damage, making transportation on the ground difficult. However, the Mexico City Metro was not damaged in the earthquake because a rectangular structure had been used in its construction instead of arches or circles, making it more resistant to earthquakes, thus proving to be a safe means of transportation in a time of crisis."

I wonder if this fact is true or not.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.

lechevallierpatrick liked this post

Last edited by Jim856796; October 26th, 2014 at 03:28 AM.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2014, 04:34 AM   #247
lrd1rocha

Likes (Received): 5

I once learned that the Mexico City Metro withstood the earthquake so well because they used "Milan walls" during its construction.

From http://geo-mexico.com/?p=1637

Quote:
When the first line was built in 1969, one of the strategies adopted by engineers to limit damage from subsequent subsidence was apparently to build the metro tunnels and stations in such a way that their total weight was very similar to the weight of the mud and sediments removed during construction. Presumably, if the weights were identical, at least the tunnels would be likely to remain in the same relative positions over time, even if the subsoil contracted and sank.
lrd1rocha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #248
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=542

Alstom to upgrade Mexico City metro trains
Monday, November 17, 2014

MEXICO City Public Transport System (STC) has awarded Alstom Transport Mexico a Pesos 5.8bn ($US 343m) contract to modernise 85 rubber-tyred trains, which are used on metro lines 4, 5, 6, 7, and B

The project will include upgrading the MP68 and NM73 fleets with new doors and braking systems. The work will take four years to complete and Alstom will maintain the trains for a further four years.

STC says a further tender to maintain 45 NM02 trains used on Line 2 was declared void.
Old November 18th, 2014, 12:15 AM   #249
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 569

Is there any chance of Lines 2 being extended into Naucalpan, for example by following the Periferico?

Or extending Line 6 into Tlanepantla and Line 7 into Satelite?

Or Line 4 to Ecatepec?

These extensions would all be very well used and give a lot of relief to the bus lines into EDOMEX.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2014, 01:31 AM   #250
Abbendymion
Get Ready

Some pics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkodemo View Post

Line B
[IMG]http://i57.************/w21z0w.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i58.************/347hg9f.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i58.************/24wx15z.jpg[/IMG]

Line A
[IMG]http://i57.************/208is7o.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i59.************/2qis87r.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i60.************/2hfkt1v.jpg[/IMG]

Clarion
abbendymion.tumblr.com

HP
abbhyperion.tumblr.com

dimlys1994, geometarkv liked this post
Old January 15th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #251
dimlys1994

From Global Rail News:

Quote:
http://www.globalrailnews.com/blog/2...way-in-mexico/

CAF-led consortium to build new railway in Mexico
15 JAN, 2015

A CAF-led consortium has been awarded the contract to build a new suburban rail line between Mexico City and Toluca.

The consortium, which also includes Construcciones Urales, Isolux Ingeniería and Thales, will construct the new 57.7-kilometre link between the Mexican capital and the capital of the State of México, Toluca.

Thales will install ETCS Level 2 signalling technology and telecommunications systems including GSM-R on the line – a project the company believes is the first implementation of the ETCS Level 2 signalling solution in the American continent.

Project management is being provided by SGS, which has its headquarters in Switzerland.

In all, the new line will feature four new stations, two 4.6-km tunnels and two viaducts of more than 40 km

lechevallierpatrick, geometarkv liked this post
Old February 5th, 2015, 08:30 AM   #252
Jim856796

About that "rectangular structure being used for a metro's tunnels" thing, I have to wonder if there are any major cities located in major earthquake zones whose metro systems do incorporate circular or arch tunnels?

Old February 5th, 2015, 10:36 PM   #253
Abbendymion
Get Ready

Mexico City does have classic tunnel sections for lines running aproximately under the 11 meters mark underground... I think I can recall the reason for chosing "rectangular section", was because it would be cheaper to have a line run just under a regular street and apply 'cut and cover', than making a full arch tunnel. For obvious reasons, 'cut and cover' and Milan Wall only apply to streets and open land, it can't be applied for city blocks, where tunnels may apply, but costlier (at least, at that time in history)...

Tunnel Sections:
- Line 1 west from Tacubaya to meet 'box section' near Observatorio
- Line 3 south from Coyoacán, having double tunnel between Viveros and M.A. Quevedo until the 'box section' prior to emerge at Universidad
- Line 7 in its entirety, except the emerging section before El Rosario.
- Line 9 between Patriotismo and Tacubaya
- Line 12 between Mexicaltzingo and 'tail end', west from Mixcoac.

Tunnel Stations:
- Line 3: Viveros (double), M.A. Quevedo (double)
- Line 7: Aquiles Serdan to Barranca del Muerto.

All other underground stations are 'cut and cover'.

Clarion
abbendymion.tumblr.com

HP
abbhyperion.tumblr.com

Old February 6th, 2015, 08:13 AM   #254
Jim856796

I would imagine the metros of Tokyo, Santiago and Caracas (which are also located in major earthquake zones, BTW) incorporating circular/arch tunnels.

Also, part of Line 7 (which first opened in 1984, a year before the '85 earthquake) is (I think) located under a mountainous zone, and is the deepest line in the metro system.

Old February 6th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #255
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 860

I found the Mexico City Metro stations and trains to be rather basic but the most important thing is that the service was good and the system extensive.

What I found most useful and a very good service was the system of rapid buses in the city. They used extensive bus-only lanes and they were fast, reliable, and very frequent. It was a very impressive system and for relatively short trip I think it was more convenient than the Metro.

overall I was quite impressed with public transit system in Mexico City and it was ultra cheap so was accessible to all which is reflected in it's high ridership levels.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 05:36 PM   #256
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=525

SCT to tender Mexico City metro extensions
Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Mexico City Public Transport System (SCT) has confirmed that tenders for the extension of Mexico City's Metro Line A and Line 12 will be announced during the first half of this year

The 13km extension of metro Line A will connect La Paz with Chalco and include eight stations which will serve an estimated 314,000 passengers per day. The 4km extension of metro Line 12 will connect Mixcoac to an interchange with Line 1 at Observatorio. Construction on both lines is expected to start this year

Old April 21st, 2015, 08:19 PM   #257
martin15
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

MEXICO CITY

.. Subway

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratteciel View Post
Old April 21st, 2015, 08:23 PM   #258
martin15
BANNED

MEXICO CITY

.. Suburban Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratteciel View Post

dimlys1994 liked this post
martin15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 08:39 PM   #259
martin15
BANNED

Mexico City Subway

.. Remodeling station Revolución

Quote:
Originally Posted by niztnanot View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hook89 View Post

martin15 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 09:26 AM   #260
Rubenmaztuerzo
Engineer

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam King View Post
Is there any chance of Lines 2 being extended into Naucalpan, for example by following the Periferico?

Or extending Line 6 into Tlanepantla and Line 7 into Satelite?

Or Line 4 to Ecatepec?

These extensions would all be very well used and give a lot of relief to the bus lines into EDOMEX.
They will indeed be very useful, yet as for lines 6 and 7 these do not reach major commuting destinations directly, and new users will still have to transfer to other lines.

What I'm saying is, extending line 7 or 6 (or building a separated feeder line) to a point further into the State of Mexico's suburbs would offer a new faster alternative to reach the city for the people who lives there. However, most of them would still transfer to lines 1, 2 or 3, which are at near capacity and probably will have serious trouble handling even more commuters.

What needs to be done is to add new corridors paralleling the busiest lines, namely a trunk line running along Insurgentes Ave (which can become the backbone of the metro area-wide network) and the line from Naucalpan to San Lázaro via Tlatelolco and Centro Histórico, included in previous masterplans, in order to ease congestion on lines 3 & 2, respectively.

Extending lines 6 & 7 (and line 2 to Naucalpan, maybe) can be done at the same time or after these new trunk lines are built, but extending the network outwards before adding capacity in its core may even bring more problems at first rather than solving existing ones.

Line 4 is a different case. It can, if properly extended south and not only north, take a good share of the southbound commuters from Ecatepec, specially those heading further south than Centro Histórico.

Still, if I were to extend line 4 I will also add capacity in east-west corridors touching it, namely increasing speeds and frequency in line 1 (I'm not entirely sure if the current level of service will allow for the latter) and rearrange seats in trains to mimic those of the NM-02 (lines 2 & 7) or FE-07 (line A) in order to increase train capacity. Line 1 is already very crowded but something, I believe, can still be done.

Line 9 has more room for higher frequencies as far as my experience tells me, and being a relief line for the 1 makes it an obvious candidate for said increase in service.

The line along Eje 5/6 Sur, also in most masterplans, would also fill a gap between the 9 & the 12 with better possibilities to extend both to the west and east ends of the city, maybe in the long term this and a line along Eje 9/10 Sur, again, present in some masterplans, can be considered more seriously.

In short, I agree in that there is a lot of population underserved in the State of México, but I believe the city itself must also get higher capacities in existing corridors as well as build new ones. I think the options of Insurgentes and a north AND south extension of line 4 should be the primary objectives, then improve service on the 1 & 9, and then extending outwards into the State of Mexico and/or adding Eje 5/6 Sur and Eje 9/10 Sur, depending on conditions at that time.

P.S.: I use line 7 almost daily and I can say it is already very crowded at rush hour, so the problem won't be only at transfer stations. Line 6 does have room for new passengers but again, it does not reach large commuting destinations on its own.

sizzpurp liked this post
Rubenmaztuerzo no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
mexico city