daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 16th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #1
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

MILWAUKEE | The Breakwater | 21 fl | Com

Image courtesy of JSOnline.com

East side condo tower proposed
Developer has units on market

By TOM DAYKIN
[email protected]
Posted: May 15, 2007
Construction of a 21-story, 104-unit condominium tower on Milwaukee's east side could begin this fall if the developer can sell enough units by then.

The Break Water condominiums, a 21-story tower with 104 units on E. Knapp St., could start going up this fall.

Peter Renner says his Break Water Condominiums project will offer units priced from $225,000, for one-bedroom condos, to $1 million for penthouses.

The largest number of units will have two bedrooms and two bathrooms, with around 2,000 square feet, along with a 200-square-foot deck, Renner said. Those units will be priced starting at $450,000.

Break Water is planned for 1132 E. Knapp St., on the site of the former Christopher East Health and Rehabilitation Center, which an investors group led by Renner bought in December for $1.65 million. Christopher East will be razed to make way for the new high-rise.

The demand for urban housing remains strong despite an overall slowdown in the housing construction market, Renner said.

"People want to move downtown," Renner said. "They are bored in the suburbs."

Renner said his three developments near downtown along the Milwaukee River - 64-unit The Waterfront, 130 S. Water St., and The Harbor Front and Hansen's Landing, each with 80 condos in the 500 and 600 blocks of E. Erie St .- have just one unit remaining for sale.

The key, he said, is to offer high-quality construction and design. Empty nesters who are selling their large suburban homes want spacious, solidly built condos with lots of amenities, Renner said. Break Water's units will include hardwood floors, large decks, and sound-proofed walls, he said.

The development also will have a 180-space parking structure.

Renner declined to provide the project's estimated construction costs. He said the building will generate around $60 million from condo sales, and will take 18 to 24 months to build.

The Break Water site needs to be rezoned to allow for construction of a condo tower. That zoning proposal has not yet been scheduled for a Plan Commission hearing.

Renner has already started marketing the Break Water's units. He hopes to sell 20 to 30 condos before beginning construction in order to obtain financing.

Break Water could begin construction around the same time another large east side condo development begins rising from the ground.

The 291-unit Park Lafayette, east of N. Prospect Ave. and north of E. Lafayette Ave., will feature twin 20-story towers. Park Lafayette's large underground parking structure is to be completed by September, with construction of the development's twin towers to begin at that time, according to developer Warren Barr.

Other new east side condo developments include the 110-unit Lake Bluff apartments, 1300 N. Prospect Ave. Those apartments are being converted to condos by an investors group led by Chicagoan Garrison Benson, which bought Lake Bluff in January for $27.5 million.

Last edited by exit_320; November 24th, 2007 at 11:30 PM.
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 16th, 2007, 11:09 PM   #2
MilwaukeeBS
I left cold for roaches

Likes (Received): 4

Errr....

(Exit knows why I say that)
MilwaukeeBS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #3
djcody

Likes (Received): 0

Hmmm, not sure how i feel about this one yet... but i'm glad that we can still propose another condo tower
Old June 13th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #4
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

I saw in the paper(MJS) the other day while in the dells that this was approved to proceed. Don't have a link but maybe someone can find it online.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #5
Markitect

The City Plan Commission gave it a preliminary conditional approval. The developer has to provide some more information in their drawings that was missing, and they also have to hold a meeting with the neighborhood residents. Then they have to seek out some zoning changes.

So, more work to be done before it gets all of its final approvals.

Last edited by Markitect; June 14th, 2007 at 12:28 AM.
Markitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:29 AM   #6
looksee

Likes (Received): 105

This thing really looks like all those public housing towers other cities have ended up demolishing. (Of course it has a little business at the roofline to make it "advanced contemporary" and no doubt luxury amenities inside that dreary base.)
If this rendering isn't representative of the actual appearance of the building, why present it?
If it is, visually at least, this is no improvement over the very crummy- looking nursing home it will replace.
Yeeeccchh.
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #7
Markitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
This thing really looks like all those public housing towers other cities have ended up demolishing. (Of course it has a little business at the roofline to make it "advanced contemporary" and no doubt luxury amenities inside that dreary base.)
Would you consider a parking space with your very own window looking outside a luxury amenity?
Markitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #8
looksee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Would you consider a parking space with your very own window looking outside a luxury amenity?
Mmm, given the context......

Old June 15th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #9
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

to be fair, i think they used a really poor rendering program that makes it look cheap. well the design has plenty of flaws, if built it would look better than that rendering.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:34 PM   #10
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

What is with people linking our condo towers to public housing projects?

I'm getting extremely irritated with these comments. It's not warranted at all. Historybuffer said Park Lafayette also looked like Cabrini Green in Chicago.

The negativity is astounding. Public housing projects?! C'mon!
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:48 AM   #11
looksee

Not only does this drawing look like public housing, but the worst kind of slapped together, pre-fab standard-but-not-appropriate-components housing. There are actually public housing tower exteriors that evidence far more concern about attractive and distinctive design, an area that this forum has a right and obligation to express an informed opinion about.
My guess is that the design of this building could well be a copy of another city's structure, originally located on a much less attractive or sensitive sight, successfully marketed there, and now lazily or hastily plucked down here to take quick advantage of our current condo fever.
Based on this drawing, it has a '70's ugly and anonymous pedestal supporting a stacked tenements tower lacking only the requisite fire-escape stairs. A Manhattan (for instance) can (and does) absorb a certain number of these no-account "luxury" designs because they are hardly noticed amid all the rest that glitters, in a true sky's-the-limit market.
Milwaukee doesn't have that luxury, in any sense. There's still so much in our landscape that is third and fourth rate unattractive that evoking any more can be a real downer. Milwaukee's current attractiveness is still largely based on hopeful visions, not on a gigantic inventory of fulfilled promises that can withstand careless abuse.
A lot of real estate value is based on perceptions. I hope some perceptions created by this drawing prove to be way off base.

Last edited by looksee; June 18th, 2007 at 04:00 AM.
looksee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #12
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

Yeah.. I hate that public housing with city / lake views from ginormous balconies and granite countertops
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #13
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

Hey I've started a flickr set with pictures of the BreakWater's progress
http://www.flickr.com/photos/daverei...7602175617497/
Twoaday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2007, 12:45 AM   #14
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

I find it slightly humorous that the two major skyscraper developments going on in Milwaukee right now have comparisons to the public housing projects. Real nice.
Old October 21st, 2007, 01:09 AM   #15
brewcityfan

Likes (Received): 222

It's pretty depressing, to say the least.

I don't think the buildings will look like public housing projects when completed.
brewcityfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 07:50 AM   #16
EastSider
Fresh Coast

Likes (Received): 5

Who the hell is this developer? Look at the lobby:
EastSider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:46 PM   #17
NeuBrew

That's just the 'Athens' lobby. Each floor will have a different historical theme. I heard that one of them will actually be a huge floor filled with huts - in a Mongolian tribe theme. And one of the floors will actually be a replica of Caprini Green and its lost potential.
NeuBrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:08 PM   #18
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuBrew View Post
That's just the 'Athens' lobby. Each floor will have a different historical theme. I heard that one of them will actually be a huge floor filled with huts - in a Mongolian tribe theme. And one of the floors will actually be a replica of Caprini Green and its lost potential.
That's pretty damn funny, Neu. Seriously, though, what the %#@! That lobby looks like something you'd see in Vegas. And what's with the dude sitting in the suit (security?), and then some guy walking in shorts? What kind of image is being depicted here? Kinda odd, I say.
Skyking2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:14 PM   #19
looksee

This looks a lot like the Athens lobby, but I think that's the one at the back entrance.
The Michelangelo on the wall gives this away as the Tuscany room, and I have to say I'm impressed. Not only does it evoke Medici splendor, the conceirge will even be able to iron out those last minute wrinkles in your necktie on that nifty granite board he sits behind!

Last edited by looksee; October 22nd, 2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:25 PM   #20
looksee

Now I get it:
"Amenities
Lobby
The BreakWater Condominiums entrance lobby has been designed to have the feel of a museum
in Rome – with stone columns, sexy lighting, and decorative marble floors." http://www.breakwater-condominiums.com/amenities.html

Or do I?
"Clubhouse
The design for the BreakWater’s clubhouse is now complete... The proposed design also ties in with the look and character of the entrance lobby.
It is envisioned that the artwork theme will be French posters from the 1920’s." ibid.

No mention of sexy lighting though. I guess that might make it too much like a museum, and the developer wants this to be a real swingin', Ol' Blue Eyes kinda place, doesn't he.

Last edited by looksee; October 23rd, 2007 at 07:56 PM.