daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2007, 08:22 PM   #21
NeuBrew

Likes (Received): 0

I think it is horrible.

Worse yet, it is very Donald Trump Wanna-be.
NeuBrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:32 PM   #22
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
Now I get it:
"Amenities
Lobby
The BreakWater Condominiums entrance lobby has been designed to have the feel of a museum
in Rome – with stone columns, sexy lighting, and decorative marble floors." http://www.breakwater-condominiums.com/amenities.html

Or do I?
"Clubhouse
The design for the BreakWater’s clubhouse is now complete... The proposed design also ties in with the look and character of the entrance lobby.
It is envisioned that the artwork theme will be French posters from the 1920’s." ibid.

No mention of sexy lighting though. I guess that might make it too much like a museum, and the developer wants this to be a real swingin', Ol' Blue Eyes kinda place, doesn't he.
Ouch. What on earth is going on here? The renderings of the lobby DO NOT match the building's exterior...AT ALL!! Well, I 'spose there are some people who will eat this up.
Skyking2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #23
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

Breakwater is now building

It looks to me like demolition is complete and they have begun building the foundation.
image hosted on flickr

And I've taken a bunch more here as well..

Urban Milwaukee "Championing Urban Life In The Cream City"
My Flickr Photos
Twoaday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 11:16 PM   #24
D-res
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

I wasn't even aware that the building had been approved already. It's sad that it's so bland looking, but I definitely won't complain about a new building.
D-res no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #25
MilwaukeeMark
I claim to be staff.

Likes (Received): 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-res View Post
I wasn't even aware that the building had been approved already. It's sad that it's so bland looking, but I definitely won't complain about a new building.
lol. I think you just did.
Old November 25th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #26
Twoaday

Likes (Received): 1203

Oh yea they're pretty quick approvals, with DCD only really fighting them over the balcony design... It may not be great but it's much better than what was there..

Urban Milwaukee "Championing Urban Life In The Cream City"
My Flickr Photos
Twoaday no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2007, 09:43 PM   #27
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

I think it will look slightly better once built. Those renderings are such low-quality, as are all of Renner's renderings. Not that his buildings turn out that great in the end...but here's hoping.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #28
NLouisianaJay
american forester

The breakwater is a fitting name. Looks like you could lay it on lake michigan and use it as a breakwater. Heh.

No really, I want to be optimistic that this will look great once finished.
Old December 5th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #29
Coldwake
Voice of Reason (usually)

Likes (Received): 673

For the past couple days they have been erecting a second crane, this one is taking up half of Farwell... which also means this is not a tower crane either.
Coldwake no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #30
Warder

This will be the largest crawler crane in the state of Wisconsin when assembled, will have a reach of 400'.

http://http://www.biztimes.com/reale...ly/2007/11/28/
Scroll down until you see the rendering of Breakwater.
Warder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 01:50 AM   #31
araman0
Purdue U. / Marquette U.

Likes (Received): 470

I got the picture below from my weekly email from the develper. It shows how the building will compare to its surroundings and the giant crane.

araman0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #32
NorthernIL Mike
oNBoader between Milwago

nice rendering gives a good example how it will be.

"Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. We are governed, our minds molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of." -Edward L. Bernays

www.savetheinternet.com
NorthernIL Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 11:42 PM   #33
exit_320

Likes (Received): 1

I am interested to see what this building will look like once completed
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:20 AM   #34
Paule

Likes (Received): 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit_320 View Post
I am interested to see what this building will look like once completed
I think it is going to be very bland, nothing special, I wont go so far as to say it's ugly though. I'm very surprised on how fast this building was approved and how fast they sold units in it. It was only 7 months ago when this first appeared in the paper and they've already broken ground on it few weeks ago. Amazing!
Paule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #35
Skyking2
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paule View Post
I think it is going to be very bland, nothing special, I wont go so far as to say it's ugly though. I'm very surprised on how fast this building was approved and how fast they sold units in it. It was only 7 months ago when this first appeared in the paper and they've already broken ground on it few weeks ago. Amazing!
You know, this building may not win any architectural awards, but it isn't that bad-looking, IMO. I believe this will be a solid addition to the neighborhood, and the suddenly north-extending skyline. My goodness, with this building, Park LaFayette and the recently-proposed 20-story tower at St. John's, Milwaukee's Gold Coast is on the way.

By the way, wasn't there an even taller condo once proposed along Prospect -- say in the 30-story range -- a year ago, or so? What's up (or not) with that?
Skyking2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #36
eMatt543

Likes (Received): 16

This may not be the most exciting looking building, but I think it will help bridge the gap between the east side towers, and the towers downtown. Right now there is a clear gap, which looks strange IMO.
eMatt543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #37
Oshkosh49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking2 View Post
By the way, wasn't there an even taller condo once proposed along Prospect -- say in the 30-story range -- a year ago, or so? What's up (or not) with that?
Yes, there is a proposal for a 30 story tower at 1646 North Prospect Avenue by Residential Homes of America, Inc. Don't know any more than that.
And I happen to like the looks of the Breakwater. I think it will change a few negative opinions once it's completed.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #38
Jesse276

Likes (Received): 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshkosh49 View Post
Yes, there is a proposal for a 30 story tower at 1646 North Prospect Avenue by Residential Homes of America, Inc. Don't know any more than that.
And I happen to like the looks of the Breakwater. I think it will change a few negative opinions once it's completed.
In fact that proposal is very dead, replaced by two 20 story towers under construction right now. You can read about it here as Park Lafayette:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=446109
Jesse276 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 05:07 AM   #39
Oshkosh49

You're right Jesse276. Then the Emporis Website isn't up to date in their skyscraper listing for Milwaukee. At #105 they have Lafayette Place at 32 stories as "Never Built". And at #106 they have the previously mentioned the 30 story 1646 North Prospect Avenue as "Proposed". It is obvious that the 30 story 1646 North Prospect proposal should also be listed as "Never Built", and not "Proposed". Sorry about posting bad info.
Oshkosh49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 06:22 AM   #40
Markitect

No, Emporis has the correct listings...you guys are confusing projects.

Lafayette Place (the 32-story proposal from several years ago) was canceled a few years ago. Park Lafayette (the twin 20-story towers) is currently under construction on that site instead.

1646 North Prospect is a new proposal from earlier this year, for a completely different site, and is still an active proposal, just not advanced enough to be put out there for the public yet.
Markitect no está en línea   Reply With Quote