daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Forum Pencakar Langit Malaysia > Pengangkutan

Pengangkutan aviation, automotive, rail and urban transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 17th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #21
forrestcat

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastresorter View Post
Actually, blame JPJ... they make cabbies livelihood difficult by corruption - give bribe or else won't issue license for the cab... then summon this that not using a proper meter etc... heard it from a taxi driver. Get rid of these corrupted pests and we will have good taxi drivers like those in Singapore.
I agree. Life is actually really hard for cabbies thanx to stupid ruling and cronies.
forrestcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 17th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #22
Sheik

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by taro_80 View Post
90% taxi drivers are sux!! and blood sucker!!!

below are some examples i'd faced:-

-the taxi driver wanna charge me for 20bucks from BB plaza to maluri jusco.
-from ikano power centre to kelana jaya lrt stations cost 20bucks
-the taxi driver not start the journey after press the hired button, he drinking and others thing, after 1++ minutes othe start the journey...tipu meter!!!
-stop and take other passager which are going to same destination while the meter is running and charge 2 passenger fares ( while we cant drop off in different place and will be charge accordingly)
-charge for keep stuff in bolnet but not help us to put and take out the things

is all above fair?

that why i clamin that malaysia public transportations are sux!!! not only KL...most of the place is the same...

I face the same problem. Kelana Jaya station to 1 utama, they want $15 for a $5 ride. I did not use them. Ikano to PJ, they wanted $20 because of rain and no passengers. 1 utama to the curve, $6 for a $3.50 ride. Bloody day light robbers. I don't care if their lives are miserable, don't pass on their problems and rob the passengers.

The sickest thing is these damn taxi drivers rip off the unsuspecting tourists and they all get away with their crimes. It's like 1 big syndicate.
Sheik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #23
forrestcat

Likes (Received): 6

It's typical for me to be charged RM7 from KTM station Shah Alam to INTEC residential college. Ths distance only about 2km.I was once severely scolded by an asshole cabby when I asked to 'kurang sket' the fare.

KL should have those Bluetaxi service like in Jakarta. Safe and reliable and the driver will return any stuff u left in the car .
forrestcat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #24
taro_80

Likes (Received): 0

Ya....the taxi in taiwan ad HK also perfect...

especially from mid valley u take a taxi...plz make mure the cabby reset their meter. hey use to not reset their meter which drop their passenger from bangsar lrt station. i'd met this incident twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
I face the same problem. Kelana Jaya station to 1 utama, they want $15 for a $5 ride. I did not use them. Ikano to PJ, they wanted $20 because of rain and no passengers. 1 utama to the curve, $6 for a $3.50 ride. Bloody day light robbers. I don't care if their lives are miserable, don't pass on their problems and rob the passengers.

The sickest thing is these damn taxi drivers rip off the unsuspecting tourists and they all get away with their crimes. It's like 1 big syndicate.
i also being scold by the cabby b4...i dont giv them a damm border...i fight them back...got one time i ask the cabby that "i giv u a knife and kill me ok?" haha...then the cabby get shocked!

the f***er cabby tought we malaysian are idiot? we are not the pitty and stupid tourists( sorry to mention this) who willing being cheated!!

who care whether is rain or not, got passenger or not!!! the passenger wont look for U (cabby) if u juz stop somewhere @ taxi terminus....plz drive around and look for ur passenger.
taro_80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #25
ILM
Lawstudent,cityenthusiast

Likes (Received): 173

actually,there is a blue taxi service in kl.
They are called executive taxis..
When u all make a trip to Mid valley,make sure u look at at the entrance of the gardens(the bolevard entrance)and u will see a few blue taxis idle there with the words teksi eksekutif.
The CVLB and/or The Transport Ministry is introducing these executive taxis to curb the bad attitude of the present taxi drivers,especially charging recklessly without the meter .present taxi drivers who wish to renew their licences are encouraged to renew them into executive ones...
According to the newspaper I read some time ago,all taxies in kl will be converted to executive ones by 2014.but hey the fares will be very expensive-three times the present meter fare if im not mistaken.

The Malaysian Skyscraper Forums
Quote:
'Whenever I see the Kuala Lumpur skyline, I feel the uniqueness, that KL Tower is the King of the skyscrapers and Petronas Twin Towers the Queen. The rest of them are the citizens.'
Quote:
'You can marry 10, 20 times in your life, but you will only be called to the Bar once!'
ILM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #26
taro_80

thats mean we in medium level cant take taxi anymore...
taro_80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #27
White_soX

malaysia taxi is a joke.
Yeah, they charge me 15 riniggit from corus hotel to great eastern. Found another taxi, cost me 4 ringgit.If they use charged system, can we report this?
White_soX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #28
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Likes (Received): 1038

Raise fares and risk losing licence, warns CVLB
M.KRISHNAMOORTHY

KUALA LUMPUR: Taxi drivers or operators who raise fares without approval risk having their licences revoked or suspended by the Commercial Vehicle Licensing Board (CVLB).

“No commercial or public vehicle governed by CVLB's rates can raise the fares as and when they like just because of a fuel price increase.

“Taxi drivers and operators who raise fares are in violation of the law and we can revoke or suspend their licence,” CVLB chairman Datuk Markiman Kobiran told The Star.

He was responding to a fare increase by some Ipoh taxi drivers who had decided to charge a RM1 surcharge, in addition to the taxi fare.

Ipoh taxi drivers had raised the fares following the Government's announcement of petrol and diesel price increases on Thursday.

“We will check to see if there is a fare increase in Ipoh and we will have to revoke the licences if it is true,” he said.

Markiman said taxi drivers and operators had to be patient and wait for the Government to decide if there was a need for taxi fares to go up.

On Friday, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said the Government would soon announce details on four swift measures to ease the burden on consumers as a result of the increase in fuel prices and electricity tariffs.
rizalhakim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #29
travellator
klite

Likes (Received): 62

In industrialized countries only the rich can afford to use taxis regularly, ordinary working people in rich countries do not use taxis.
Have you thot why taxi drivers do not want to use the meter or overcharge.... they do this because they cannot earn enough after taking away the rental for the taxi and the cost of gas. taxi drivers are driven to do this because of the low govt fixed fares! Taxis are not public transport Taxis are a luxury. Set taxi fares at a rate that earns a decent income for the drivers and immediately you will see them use the meter, who wants to be a bad guy quarreling with passengers over the meter or overcharging- not taxi drivers. Taxi drivers are not the bad guys its us the users who demand cheap fares and expect ordinary working taxi drivers to provide the service for something less then a decent living! A fair taxi rate for taxi drivers and passengers
travellator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 07:05 AM   #30
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellator View Post
In industrialized countries only the rich can afford to use taxis regularly, ordinary working people in rich countries do not use taxis.
Have you thot why taxi drivers do not want to use the meter or overcharge.... they do this because they cannot earn enough after taking away the rental for the taxi and the cost of gas. taxi drivers are driven to do this because of the low govt fixed fares! Taxis are not public transport Taxis are a luxury. Set taxi fares at a rate that earns a decent income for the drivers and immediately you will see them use the meter, who wants to be a bad guy quarreling with passengers over the meter or overcharging- not taxi drivers. Taxi drivers are not the bad guys its us the users who demand cheap fares and expect ordinary working taxi drivers to provide the service for something less then a decent living! A fair taxi rate for taxi drivers and passengers
Agreed...sadly, in Malaysia taxis pass for public transport because more permits means more permit fees and more "entrepreneurs"

Never mind that they could probably get a better salary driving buses or minibuses (rapidKL pays 2000 per month including incentives!) .... the current system means lots of demand for proton.

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:38 AM   #31
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Another RM100m for public transport
By MAZWIN NIK ANIS

PUTRAJAYA: The Government has injected another RM100mil into the Public Transport Development Fund to boost the efficiency of public transportation, Entrepreneurial Development and Cooperative Minister Datuk Noh Omar said.

He said the extra aid, in addition to the RM200mil already allocated, was approved last month and would be used as loans to those who wanted to start up businesses in the public transport industry, with special attention given to individuals planning to serve as taxi drivers.

Noh said the extra funds would come in handy, as the ministry was anticipating a flood of applications for loans to purchase taxis after its proposal to lift the freeze on individual taxi permits.

"This is one of the ways to improve public transportation.

“I am going to present the proposal to lift the freeze to the Cabinet next Wednesday. We hope that once the Government approves, more people are encouraged to become taxi drivers," he told reporters after presenting approval letters for new Commercial Vehicle Licensing Board permits to some 180 applicants from the central region on Thursday.

Noh said the ministry’s aim was to achieve a ratio of one taxi for every 500 people.

“We need another 3,000 taxis to operate in the Klang Valley to achieve this ratio. We hope that by making it easy for interested parties to apply for loans, we are able to encourage more industry players,” he said.

At present, there are 21,000 taxis operating in Klang Valley.

Noh said the loans could be obtained from Mara or Bank Rakyat, with an interest rate of between 4% and 6% imposed on borrowers.
Old June 20th, 2008, 04:54 AM   #32
khensthoth

Likes (Received): 1

How would one classify taxi as public transportation? So, putting 3000 more taxis on the already congested road, something magical happens, and then the public transport is better, and congestion is better?

If taxi can be classified as public transport, it would be one of the least efficient one available.
khensthoth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2008, 05:13 AM   #33
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Poll: Malaysian taxis among worst in world

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian taxis are among the worst in the world, claims a survey by a local magazine.

Readers of The Expat magazine, which has a monthly circulation of 6,000 copies, gave the Malaysian taxi service a big thumbs down when compared with services in 22 other countries.

In fact, local taxis scored the lowest in almost every category polled. The survey's 200-odd respondents, comprising expatriates from 30 countries, even went so far as to brand local cabbies "a national disgrace", "a source of national shame" and "a serious threat to tourists - rude bullies and extortionists".

The most frequent complaint was of overcharging and taxi drivers refusing to take passengers who did not agree to pay a flat rate much higher than the regular fare.

The survey covered five main aspects, namely taxi quality, courtesy of drivers, availability on the street, availability by phone and driver job knowledge.

On a 10-point scale, local taxis got scores of 3.8, 4.4, 4.4, 4.8 and 5.5 for each respective aspect. This was in sharp contrast to the 8.6, 8.0, 8.1, 8.8 and 8.7 earned by taxi drivers in Singapore.

Expat Group CEO Andy Davison, whose company owns The Expat, said the high response rate combined with the absence of any really positive feedback, makes it clear people are unhappy with the current services on offer.

"In the last 10 years, we have done about 40 surveys among the resident expatriate community on many aspects of life in Malaysia.

"Most have produced very positive results, but our first survey on the taxi service has revealed a very negative picture," he said yesterday.

On suggestions on how to improve the image of local taxi drivers, Davison said that fares should be high enough that drivers would not feel the need to overcharge in order to make a living.

He also said driver training was an area that could be improved on.

When asked to comment, Taxi Operators Association chairman Datuk Aslah Abdullah said he couldn't deny the findings of the survey.

"However, you also need to check what the fares are in the other countries being compared, because that's where the problem here lies."

On training, he said drivers had undergone tutorials conducted by City Hall and taxi associations since the beginning of this year.

Folks, there you have it. Let's hear from you, the users of taxis, on the findings of the survey. Talk Back!

honestly we r the worst in the world!!!
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:44 AM   #34
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Proton mungkin hasil model khas teksi
Oleh Suffian A Bakar

KERJASAMA: Syed Zainal Abidin bertukar dokumen dengan Meriyam selepas memeterai MoU antara Proton dan GiatMara, sambil disaksikan Noh, Mohammed Azlan (dua dari kiri) dan Nam Marthinin (kanan) di Shah Alam, semalam.

PROTON Holdings Bhd bakal memonopoli pasaran kereta untuk teksi di negara ini jika cadangan kerajaan yang mahukan pengusaha teksi menggunakan model dengan satu reka bentuk standard menjadi kenyataan pada 2010.

Menteri Pembangunan Usahawan dan Koperasi, Datuk Noh Omar berkata, Kabinet baru-baru ini meminta kementeriannya berbincang dengan Proton bagi kemungkinan pengeluar kereta nasional itu menghasilkan model kereta dengan reka bentuk unik bagi Malaysia untuk dijadikan teksi standard di jalan raya di negara ini.

"Selain reka bentuknya yang unik bagi Malaysia, ciri-ciri lain yang perlu ada pada teksi standard itu ialah tempat duduk dan tempat menyimpan barang lebih luas, penggunaan alat penjimatan petrol atau kemudahan gas asli kenderaan (NGV) serta bersesuaian dengan keperluan pelanggan, khususnya pelancong asing yang mementingkan keselesaan," katanya sambil menambah pihaknya mensasarkan model sulung teksi standard itu akan berada di pasaran menjelang 2010.

Beliau berkata demikian pada majlis memeterai memorandum persefahaman (MoU) antara Proton dan GiatMara di Shah Alam, semalam.

Menerusi perjanjian itu, Proton akan membantu GiatMara dalam membangunkan kurikulum untuk latihan automotif di pusat latihannya.

Pada majlis itu Proton diwakili Pengarah Urusannya, Datuk Syed Zainal Abidin Syed Mohamed Tahir, manakala GiatMara oleh Ketua Pegawai Eksekutifnya, Meriyam Abd Majid. Hadir sama Pengerusi Proton, Datuk Mohammed Azlan Hashim dan Ketua Pengarah Mara, Datuk Nam Marthinin.

Noh berkata, kementeriannya bersedia mengeluarkan permit teksi baru jika pengusaha menggunakan teksi yang bakal dihasilkan itu nanti.

Ketika ini 38,000 teksi di Semenanjung yang mana 23,000 adalah di Lembah Klang.

Sementara itu, Azlan berkata, adalah menjadi keutamaan bagi Proton untuk membangunkan kenderaan jimat minyak dan yang terbaru ialah penghasilan kereta dengan kemudahan NGV pada model keluarannya, iaitu Saga dan Waja khusus bagi kegunaan teksi.

"Jika sebelum ini pengusaha teksi perlu memasang sendiri tangki NGV, kini mereka boleh mendapatkan terus dari Proton.

"Kemudahan itu akan dipasang sendiri Proton di kilangnya dan ia dijamin oleh Proton," katanya sambil menambah teksi dengan kemudahan NGV itu akan dikeluarkan sebelum akhir tahun ini.

Selain untuk kegunaan teksi, pihaknya juga akan memasang kemudahan sama pada model Persona yang akan dijual kepada orang ramai.

Sementara itu, Syed Zainal berkata, MoU yang dimeterai itu menggariskan pembabitan dan kerjasama Proton dengan GiatMara dalam merangka kurikulum latihan automotif kepada pelatih GiatMara.
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #35
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizalhakim View Post
Poll: Malaysian taxis among worst in world

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysian taxis are among the worst in the world, claims a survey by a local magazine.

Readers of The Expat magazine, which has a monthly circulation of 6,000 copies, gave the Malaysian taxi service a big thumbs down when compared with services in 22 other countries.

In fact, local taxis scored the lowest in almost every category polled. The survey's 200-odd respondents, comprising expatriates from 30 countries, even went so far as to brand local cabbies "a national disgrace", "a source of national shame" and "a serious threat to tourists - rude bullies and extortionists".

The most frequent complaint was of overcharging and taxi drivers refusing to take passengers who did not agree to pay a flat rate much higher than the regular fare.

The survey covered five main aspects, namely taxi quality, courtesy of drivers, availability on the street, availability by phone and driver job knowledge.

On a 10-point scale, local taxis got scores of 3.8, 4.4, 4.4, 4.8 and 5.5 for each respective aspect. This was in sharp contrast to the 8.6, 8.0, 8.1, 8.8 and 8.7 earned by taxi drivers in Singapore.

Expat Group CEO Andy Davison, whose company owns The Expat, said the high response rate combined with the absence of any really positive feedback, makes it clear people are unhappy with the current services on offer.

"In the last 10 years, we have done about 40 surveys among the resident expatriate community on many aspects of life in Malaysia.

"Most have produced very positive results, but our first survey on the taxi service has revealed a very negative picture," he said yesterday.

On suggestions on how to improve the image of local taxi drivers, Davison said that fares should be high enough that drivers would not feel the need to overcharge in order to make a living.

He also said driver training was an area that could be improved on.

When asked to comment, Taxi Operators Association chairman Datuk Aslah Abdullah said he couldn't deny the findings of the survey.

"However, you also need to check what the fares are in the other countries being compared, because that's where the problem here lies."

On training, he said drivers had undergone tutorials conducted by City Hall and taxi associations since the beginning of this year.

Folks, there you have it. Let's hear from you, the users of taxis, on the findings of the survey. Talk Back!

honestly we r the worst in the world!!!
Pemandu teksi caj tambang tidak ikut meter

Oleh WAN SYAMSUL AMLY WAN SEADEY

KUALA LUMPUR 25 Jun - Pemandu teksi Lembah Klang yang merosot pendapatan mereka kesan kenaikan harga minyak awal bulan ini, mula bertindak mengenakan caj sesuka hati ke atas penumpang.

Tinjauan Utusan Malaysia di sekitar Pasar Seni, bangunan Kotaraya dan Puduraya mendapati kebanyakan pemandu teksi tidak lagi mengenakan tambang ke atas penumpang berdasarkan meter.

Orang ramai yang ditemui rata-ratanya kesal dengan tindakan pemandu teksi terbabit yang jelas hanya memikirkan keuntungan sendiri tanpa mengambil kira beban pengguna.

Pembantu peribadi, Jadrul Hisham Syed Amran, 38, mendakwa keadaan itu sebenarnya sudah menjadi lumrah kepada penumpang di sekitar Pasar Seni sejak sebulan lalu.

''Kecewa. Mereka seolah-olah menjadi samseng di sini. Ramai yang sudah merungut tetapi sehingga hari ini tiada sebarang tindakan.

''Kita tidak tahu mengapa jadi begini. Kita tidak boleh terima alasan kenaikan harga minyak kerana kebanyakan teksi menggunakan gas asli (NGV)," katanya.

Malangnya, menurut Jadrul Hisham, kebanyakan penumpang tiada pilihan lain dan terpaksa menaiki teksi yang tidak menggunakan meter.

''Kebanyakannya terpaksa bayar sahaja walaupun tinggi kerana itu sahaja kenderaan awam yang ada untuk ke rumah mereka.

''Kita minta pihak berkuasa pantau segera. Gelagat pemandu teksi ini sudah melampau batas," ujarnya.

Pelajar Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM), Nurleila Abd. Samad, 23, amat kesal dengan tindakan pemandu teksi terbabit yang mengenakan tambang sesuka-hati atas alasan kenaikan harga minyak.

''Golongan pelajar semakin susah. Pemandu teksi ini seolah-olah pentingkan diri sendiri.

''Mereka menetapkan harga sesuka hati. Caj yang dikenakan jelas terlalu tinggi dan di luar kemampuan pelajar," jelasnya.

Pekerja swasta, Darus Sallam Abd. Manan, 30, berkata, tindakan pemandu teksi di sekitar Pasar Seni itu sebenarnya sudah berlarutan di kebanyakan tempat di Lembah Klang.

''Bukan sahaja di sini. Mereka seperti sudah sepakat jadi kumpulan teksi samseng yang tidak mahu menggunakan meter.

''Kalau murah tidak apa. Ini terlampau mahal dan membebankan penumpang," ujarnya.

Kadar permulaan untuk menggunakan perkhidmatan teksi sekarang ialah RM2 dengan tambahan 60 sen untuk setiap kilometer seterusnya.

Caj itu akan bertambah sebanyak 50 peratus jika teksi disewa pada waktu tengah malam dan beberapa sen lagi untuk tiga atau empat orang penumpang.

Wartawan Utusan Malaysia turut merasai sendiri pengalaman menaiki teksi yang enggan menggunakan meter.

Perjalanan dari Pasar Seni ke KL Sentral sejauh lima kilometer (km) yang sepatutnya hanya RM3.80 dicaj RM7 oleh pemandu teksi terbabit.
Old June 26th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #36
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Proton to design ‘Malaysian’ taxi
by Surin Murugiah
Email us your feedback at fd@bizedge.com

SHAH ALAM: National carmaker Proton Holdings Bhd is likely to be the biggest beneficiary of a government plan to standardise taxis in the country, similar to the black cab in London or the yellow taxis in New York.

Under the plan mooted by the Cabinet recently, existing taxis comprising different makes and models will gradually be phased out and replaced with a standard model that would also be fitted with a fuel-saving device as well as the NGV kit.

Minister of Entrepreneur Development and Cooperation Datuk Noh Omar said the government has asked Proton to design a taxi that could be uniquely identified as a “Malaysian taxi”.

“The existing taxis come in varying sizes and sometimes are not comfortable for foreigners, especially those of bigger built or with extra luggage since the smaller taxis retrofitted with NGV kits have less storage space.”

“Therefore, we need a special model that would have the space and comfort, together with a unique design,” he said.

Speaking to reporters after witnessing Proton and Giatmara sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to collaborate for the advancement of automotive education and training for Malaysian youths, Noh said the government hoped that Proton would be able to roll out the taxi model by 2010.

Proton managing director Datuk Syed Zainal Abidin Syed Mohamed Tahir said the company would study the request by the government as a change in design required extensive research and development.

He estimated that about 50,000 taxis on the road in Malaysia were of Proton models.

Syed Zainal said there had been a higher demand now for cars fitted with NGV kits, both for taxis and retail vehicles.

He said the national carmaker would start fitting new taxis with the NGV kits at its factory as it would be cheaper and carry a warranty, rather than retrofitting as done elsewhere by taxi owners currently.

He said Proton expected to start rolling out its new taxis with the NGV kit by year-end.

On the MoU with Giatmara, Syed Zainal said Proton started collaborating with training and higher education institutions since 2004 and to date had provided more than 200 vehicles worth more than RM4 million for automotive training purposes.

“This does not include engines, parts and other components as well as training curriculum and instructors that we have sponsored,” he said.

“This is part of our corporate social responsibility as we believe in giving back to the community, and education and on-the-job-training is an effective way to do so,” he said.
Old June 30th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #37
rizalhakim
PROUD 2 B MALAYSIAN

Taxi-ing off expats’ good books
by Kathleen Tan
Email us your feedback at fd@bizedge.com

New York’s bright yellow taxicabs are proudly iconic of the Big Apple. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of Malaysian taxis, which are recognised by expatriates for all the wrong reasons.

In The Expat magazine’s first survey on taxi service, some 200 expatriate respondents from 30 countries described the Malaysian taxi service variously as “a national disgrace”, “a serious threat to tourists”, and “bullies, rude and extortionists”.

Malaysia ranked the lowest among 22 other countries, and was compared mostly to Singapore, faring poorly with a 4.58 average score against Singapore’s 8.44 in five criteria — taxi quality, courtesy of drivers, availability on the street, availability by phone, and driver job knowledge.

According to Andy Davison, The Expat Group chief executive officer and editor of The Expat, the idea of doing the survey came about when he was chairperson of the KL Tourist Association some 15 years ago. The taxi service was a hot issue then and it was rekindled recently with the increasing number of complaints from expats, he told The Edge Financial Daily in a phone interview last Friday.

The survey was carried out via a questionnaire inserted into the 6,000 subscription copies of the magazine’s April issue. Davison noted that people who had negative views would generally be more inclined to respond.

“However, based on past surveys, our average response rate is 1.5%. Instead of the usual 60 to 100, we got 200 replies — which makes it clear that people are unhappy with the current taxi services,” he said.

He added that while the quantitative survey had only a few open-ended questions, some respondents attached police reports and “massively long” letters, highlighting the gravity of the situation. Of the 200 respondents, he said, only one thought the taxi service was “okay” while two or three others indicated, “You get what you pay for”.

The most frequent complaint among respondents was overcharging. Taxi drivers refused to use the meter, and would not take passengers unless they agreed to pay a higher flat rate, which was much higher than the regular fare.

“On the other hand, some tourists assume a RM50 ride from a hotel in KL to Bangsar is equivalent to what they pay overseas until they’re told by locals that the usual price is around RM13!” Davison said.

He said that taxi drivers were not bothered by the complaints, even laughing at expatriates who threatened to report them to the authorities. “Every taxi driver should be carefully selected and trained,” he said.

Another complaint was taxi drivers’ lack of knowledge — one respondent, American John Wharton, said he “had to give a driver directions to the Subang airport”.

Davison said: “Driver training is another area for improvement. There is no reason why drivers should not be expected to know how to get from A to B. They should also have a clear code of conduct and be expected to follow it. Perhaps there should be a penalty system for those drivers who break the rules.”

A British woman who has lived in Malaysia for 18 years said: “The taxi standards in Malaysia give the tourists the wrong impression immediately on arrival.”

Davison agrees. “Business visitors who come to Malaysia looking for a place to set up their local operations would be impressed by modern buildings and nice hotels but end up being ripped off by the taxis,” he said.

He believes the taxi system here is flawed and that remuneration must be adequate so that taxi drivers would not resort to overcharging passengers.

Commenting on a Swiss expat’s suggestion of implementing a properly managed hotline like in Hong Kong, Davison said that expats had complained of calls made to the Malaysian hotline going unanswered. “Hotlines can only work if it is made mandatory for every taxi to display hotline contact details; defaced signs should be penalised,” he said.

“Enforcement is critical — you’re not going to tell the driver, ‘C’mon guys, be nice, you’re going to affect the economy’! Any successful system must have maintenance to support it — sufficient phone lines, properly trained staff, prompt follow-up and a team empowered to investigate complaints, implement solutions and hand out penalties,” he said.
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #38
Wisarut

Likes (Received): 696

Now, Those KL Taxi cabs are askign for 10 Ringgit even taking a few km ride (such as IMBI to KLCC) ...
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:28 AM   #39
TWK90
Infrastructure

Likes (Received): 1263

Imbi to KLCC, to get there maybe either take Monorail then change to KJ line, or perhaps, if don't mind walking....there's always a long walk from Imbi to KLCC, passing through Pavilion KL...
TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:42 AM   #40
Wisarut

Likes (Received): 696

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWK90 View Post
Imbi to KLCC, to get there maybe either take Monorail then change to KJ line, or perhaps, if don't mind walking....there's always a long walk from Imbi to KLCC, passing through Pavilion KL...

At that time, I got so exhausted that I could NOT go to IMBI Monorail station at all ... Just want to go directly to my hotel (Corus Hotel)