search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hungary > Projects and Development > Tervek és építkezések

Tervek és építkezések Projects and Construction |» Budapest

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.
Old May 19th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #1
Peti

Likes (Received): 1

[Etyek] Korda Film Studios

The state-of-the-art Korda Film Studio has announced that four sound stages of the Euros 91 million ($124 million) budgeted movie-making facility are now open for business.
According to studio managing director Laszlo Krisan, testing is currently being conducted on what analysts are touting as one of the most technically sophisticated film studios in Hungary and central Europe.
Located on a former missile base in the town of Etyek, 17 miles west of the Hungarian capital, the Korda Studio is being developed by construction company Arcadom Zrt., owned by Hungarian-born (and Etyek-born) real estate mogul Sandor Demjan, who has backed some of the largest property developments in Hungary and the region.
Minority investors in the studio include Hollywood producer Andy Vajna (who was born in Hungary), financier Nathaniel Rothschild, co-chairman of Atticus Capital LLC, and Canadian businessman Peter Munk.
According to Krisan, previous report that the Hungarian State Development Bank is investing in the facility is incorrect. "The Korda studio is rare (in the region) in that it is privately funded," said Krisan.
The facilities currently available at Korda are a twin sound stage with total area of 38,000 sq. ft., a 10,500 sq. ft. stage, and a 21,500 sq. ft. sound stage with a 36 x 36 x 12 ft. water tank.
Work continues of the facility's major attraction: a 60,000 sq. ft. wet "super stage" which will boast headroom of 65 ft. and the option of the world's largest indoor water tank (40,000 sq. ft.)
This stage and the entire complex are scheduled to be completed in early 2008.
According to studio managing director Laszlo Krisan, the facility is able to service productions of any size, especially big-budget theatrical releases.
The long-awaited opening of the Korda studio, in step with tax incentives offering productions a 20% rebate on costs spent in Hungary, is expected to draw international productions, and spur local filmmaking.

Construction:

Peti no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #2
Peti

KORDA STUDIOS/UNIVERSAL UNLEASH ‘HELLBOY 2’
AT STATE-OF-THE-ART FACILITY

Film Capitalises on 20% Cash Back Production Incentive on Hungarian Spend for All Productions
Cannes, France, May 18, 2007 - In a major coup for Hungary’s brand-new $124m Korda Studios, Universal Studios’ HELLBOY 2 will be the first major production to shoot on the state-of-the-art site, with principal photography starting in June.
To be directed by Academy Award® nominee Guillermo Del Toro (multiple Oscar®-winning Pan’s Labryinth), the eagerly-anticipated sequel to 2004’s HELLBOY has already moved onto the facility to construct sets inside Korda’s recently-completed sound stages. Mid Atlantic Films is providing local production services.
HELLBOY 2’s shoot – the largest ever for Hungary - has meant an accelerated completion date for Korda’s first four stages, with construction company Arcadom Zrt employing 1,000 workers around-the-clock to hand over the 71,000 sq-ft of new stages and 50,000 sq-ft of workshop space to the HELLBOY 2 production in April - an astonishing six months from the start of work.
Set in Etyek, 16 miles from the centre of Budapest, Korda Studios is built on an abandoned military base. With the HELLBOY 2 shoot set to continue until the fall – using both interior and exterior facilities – construction still continues on the remainder of the complex, with the entire facility, including a 63,000-plus-sq-ft “superstage”, set for completion in early 2008. The superstage will feature the world’s largest interior water tank and a clear height of 65-feet.
“We hope that this stage will make Korda Studios one of the premier production facilities in the world,” says László Krisán, CEO and Managing Director of Korda Studios. The coveted HELLBOY 2 shoot gives Korda a high-profile debut. “We are very excited and honored to have such a large, prestigious production be the first to come to our new facility,” says Krisan. “We owe a lot to the construction company Arcadom Zrt., which was able to build a world-class studio in record time, and we now look forward to the challenge of providing excellent service to such large international productions as HELLBOY 2.”
Adds Mid Atlantic managing director, Adam Goodman, whose company is providing production services to the HELLBOY 2 shoot in Hungary: “Mid Atlantic Films is proud to be working with Korda Studios in providing a first class experience for an international production such as HELLBOY 2. The movie will be the largest and most complex ever made in Hungary and it is appropriate that over half of it will be shot at Korda Studios. I am sure that HELLBOY 2 will be the first of many international productions that will now consider Hungary as a result of the world class studio facilities Korda can offer.”
HELLBOY 2 follows a record 2006 for the Hungarian Film Industry, boosted by the country’s 2004 Film Law which allows productions a 20 percent rebate on their Hungarian spend and has seen production quadruple. According to figures from the National Film Office, $172m is projected to be spent on film production in 2007, and 7-8 major shoots are coming on line in Hungary right now, of which HELLBOY 2 is the largest.
Named after Hungarian-born film-maker Alexander Korda, Korda Studios is backed by Arcadom Zrt owner and Hungarian real estate mogul Sandor Demjan, with minority investors including the Hungarian-born producer Andrew Vajna, financier Nathaniel Rothschild, co-chairman of Atticus Capital LLC, and Canadian businessman Peter Munk.
Demján is confident in the cultural effects of his investment: “Let us be proud of Alexander Korda and all those Hungarian pioneers who were key players in the global film industry in various eras. I believe that the building of the Korda Studios will allow Hungary to produce new Alexander Kordas; the infrastructure is now available, the rest only depends on the filmmakers.”
Old May 19th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #3
.oreo.

Likes (Received): 3

That´s a great project!!! I wish something like this was in Slovakia... By the way how many films produce Hungary by year? Such a pity there are no Hungarian films in our TV.
Just thinking if I ever seen any Hungarian film.
.oreo. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #4
Peti

I cannot really answer your question. I can only guess that we don't produce that many films. Some international movies were shot in Hungary, like "I Spy", "Munich", "Eragon" but I don't know the exact number. Maybe I'll look it up somewhere. As for Hungarian films, we definitely produce more than international ones. The only recent Hungarian film which was released internationally was Kontroll (2 years before I think) but maybe it was only in America.
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2260

This project is great. Btw guys, today is the wine fest. there, i might drop by, but i'm having a bit of a hangover..
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 8265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikes View Post
This project is great. Btw guys, today is the wine fest. there, i might drop by, but i'm having a bit of a hangover..
HANGOVER RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never really had one though...

I had a tequila sunrise today morning... Perhaps that counted pretty much when I couldn't properly ignore the:
SATURDAY TRAFFIC JAM!!!!!

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #7
Qtya
sensational

AWESOME JOB PETI!

II. János Pál pápa
Old May 19th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #8
Qtya
sensational

Quote:
Originally Posted by .oreo. View Post
That´s a great project!!! I wish something like this was in Slovakia... By the way how many films produce Hungary by year? Such a pity there are no Hungarian films in our TV.
Just thinking if I ever seen any Hungarian film.
I don't think today's Hungarian films are worth watching... Documentaries, and historical films maybe, but the rest...

I'm anxiously waiting for the Macskafogó II. though...

Macskafogó - Catcatcher is a famous Hungarian cartoon.

II. János Pál pápa
Old May 19th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #9
kokpit
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

This studio will be hard rival for Barrandov studios, I hope we will divide the cake somehow between us.

About the Hungarian films, they broadcasted few of them on Czech television few month ago, I saw about two of them and they were quite interesting. Kontroll is classic, it is still very popular here.

But what enchanted me most was Prologue from Bela Tarr with amazing music composed by Víg Mihály.

or this great scene from Sátántangó (1994), unfortunately I haven't had opportunity to watch the film yet
kokpit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #10
Nyuszi
#1 Bunny

Likes (Received): 19

I wonder how high is Your IQ kokpit... Have you ever checked it?
Nyuszi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #11
kokpit
BANNED

My IQ? How is it related to my post?
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:16 PM   #12
.oreo.

Oh, I know! There was this Hungarian cartoon called Miazgovci (Mézga család) when I was a child. It was one of my favourite!
Old May 19th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #13
kokpit
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by .oreo. View Post
Oh, I know! There was this Hungarian cartoon called Miazgovci (Mézga család) when I was a child. It was one of my favourite!
Yes, Smolíkovi, I nearly forgot!

One of my all time favourite cartoons, thank you Hungarians
Old May 19th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #14
Peti

Yes! Mézga család was one of my favourites too . I'm also waiting for Macskafogó II. the first one was a real classic and it's my favourite animated film to this day . By the way I think the title was translated as Cat City (not a good translation in my oppinion).
Old May 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #15
kokpit
BANNED

Great intros

Old May 19th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #16
Peti

In Czechish language it sounds funny.

Last edited by Peti; May 19th, 2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old May 19th, 2007, 07:53 PM   #17
kokpit
BANNED

^ Yes, I like that cartoon a lot, it even become some kind of cult here, I remember one art cinema in Prague played all episods during one night few years ago.
Old May 19th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #18
.oreo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokpit View Post
^ Yes, I like that cartoon a lot, it even become some kind of cult here, I remember one art cinema in Prague played all episods during one night few years ago.
To tell the truth I like Slovak dubbing much more..but it´s maybe just because I´ve never heard your version! Pity that it´s not on youtube.
Old May 19th, 2007, 11:40 PM   #19
IvanB

Likes (Received): 11

BTW,I read about year ago, that they are going to make sequel. Does somebody know something about it?
IvanB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2007, 11:50 PM   #20
Peti

Yes they are making a sequel to Mézga család, but the director and script-writer are also working on Macskafogó II (an animated film) currently (it will be released in Hungarian cinemas in december) which is a big project for them but they are also working on Mézga család but much more slowly.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: