daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #261
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

what a magnificent and beautiful sign, very big, strong blue, big arrows, awesome. Why is sofia in darker blue? I want see some more new streches of nationalroad and motorway.
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #262
bozata90

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish2 View Post
what a magnificent and beautiful sign, very big, strong blue, big arrows, awesome. Why is sofia in darker blue? I want see some more new streches of nationalroad and motorway.
Because it was changed from "Sofija"
bozata90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #263
dewrob

Likes (Received): 24

Incorrect, there was no direction for Sofia on that sign until recently at all. Boyko Borisov gave a remark (rightfully) that he didn't see one single direction sign for Sofia (within Skopje city limits where this sign is located) when he visited Skopje's mayor a while ago. That problem was obviously corrected with this improvisation. Different font, different background. I guess we will have to wait for Edi Rama to visit before we put up a sign for Tirana as well
dewrob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #264
Radish2

Verso, usually I have nothing against you, but it is very annoying that you complain about the Macedonian signs, Granica is good, not all people for ****´s sake can read cirillic but most will figure out what Granica is, when it is written in Latin.
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #265
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
of course it is not. in Austria you also have "Grenze" at distance signs.
Yes, in their alphabet, not someone else's.

Btw, in what language is 'Athena'?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #266
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

A border crossing is per definition international. It's therefore smart to make the signs also in English in my opinion.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #267
Radish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A border crossing is per definition international. It's therefore smart to make the signs also in English in my opinion.
So 30 km before the border The Netherlands sign "border" or "bodercrossing". Chris man, Germany and Austria only sign "Grenzübergang" or so, foreign drivers would have a hard time figure out what it means.
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #268
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

We don't sign borders in advance. In the current Schengen-Era, it's not necessary either. Macedonia will too someday..
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #269
Ban.BL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
You're such an annoying person, BL. No, it's not in German (though 'Belgrad' could be), it's in Macedonian. Unless you mean 'ring', in which case it's not Macedonian but not German either, as consonants are in capital letters, and we always prefer English over German. And what's wrong with 'Reka'? We use Latin alphabet (unlike Macedonians) and sign 'Rijeka' too.

As Mateusz said, avtopat = motorway, magistrala = highway. 'Adriatic Magistrala' doesn't sound overly English to me.
I mean ring, maybe it is in german and maybe it is also common in Slovenian to say ring for ring-roads?! Who knows, no one, coz it is the only word written in that language.
And you are annoying with this regards what should they do and you want this standards in Macedonia, but not in Slovenia. That is hypocritical.
And you use latin, indeed, and they use both scripts, so i don´t see the difference.
Ban.BL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #270
Ban.BL
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozata90 View Post
Ban.BL: Why are you so skeptical about writing signs in English - we do not live in the 1960s, we live in 2009 - you may cross most of the borders in Europe (almost) freely, and international traffic is ever-growing. I do not why there are so many people who refuse to be bilingual... it's not a vice, it's an advantage. And people have to understand each other - not to "blame" the others for not speaking their language.
As for Greece: every important sign in Greece is translated in English. Examples include: "ΚΟΜΒΟΣ - INTERCHANGE" "ΕΞΟΔΟΣ - EXIT" "ΠΑΡΑΚΑΜΨΗ - DIVERSION". In Bulgaria we are trying to do the same, but since road workers do not speak English (mostly) they sometimes get ridiculous...
It has nothing to do with that whether it is 1960 or 2060. I don´t see reason why should they write Athens or Belgrade? It is unnecessary.
Exit was also standard in ex YU it is similar like stop sign.
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #271
Ban.BL
BANNED

Quote:
Yes, in their alphabet, not someone else's.

Macedonians also have Latin script although it is not that common.
And i think that they should have only write the name of border crossing or just put the sign for custom

Last edited by Ban.BL; March 27th, 2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #272
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ban.BL View Post
Macedonians also have Latin script although it is not that common.
Since when?

Quote:
I mean ring, maybe it is in german and maybe it is also common in Slovenian to say ring for ring-roads?! Who knows, no one, coz it is the only word written in that language.
And you are annoying with this regards what should they do and you want this standards in Macedonia, but not in Slovenia. That is hypocritical.
Believe me, 'ring' is in English, in German it would be with capital 'R', and in Slovenian it's obviously 'obroč', as you can see on the sign. I'm not telling them what to do, just expressing my opinion with arguments, unlike you with false claims. We only write 'Reka' in Latin, cause that's our alphabet, we don't write it in Cyrillic. If we already did that, it should read 'Ријека', not 'Река'. Comprende?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #273
Radish2

Quote:
It has nothing to do with that whether it is 1960 or 2060. I don´t see reason why should they write Athens or Belgrade? It is unnecessary.
Exit was also standard in ex YU it is similar like stop sign.
No, it is neccessary, bozata90 explained in Detai why, but he should mention that in Bulgaria only very new signs feature English, unfortunately.
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #274
Ban.BL
BANNED

Quote:
Since when?

Believe me, 'ring' is in English, in German it would be with capital 'R', and in Slovenian it's obviously 'obroč', as you can see on the sign. I'm not telling them what to do, just expressing my opinion with arguments, unlike you with false claims. We only write 'Reka' in Latin, cause that's our alphabet, we don't write it in Cyrillic. If we already did that, it should read 'Ријека', not 'Река'. Comprende?
Well your arguments don´t make sense.
The thing is that they have chosen, to write in their own language and not in English, same as you do it. I don´t see why is is problem it is common and normal thing.
In Serbian we also write both in Latin and in Cyrillic script the same thing.
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #275
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
i asked myself that too. i tries to find it out, but i was not successfull.
Old March 27th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #276
Ban.BL
BANNED

greek english combo
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #277
dewrob

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i asked myself that too. i tries to find it out, but i was not successfull.
it's in the same language where Law is spelled Low

http://www.roads.org.mk/en/dokumenti.html
dewrob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #278
bozata90

Quote:
BTW, in what language is 'Athena'?
Some kind of old Greek written with Latin?

@Radi: It is not true that we do not have English signs. We have them, but only on newer stretches (Going to Kyustendil, you may see one reading: "TV tower" - something very untypical for English, but still..)

@Ban.BL: Of course time matters. Tell me how many foreign drivers were there in Bulgaria in the 1960s, for example. It was the time of not-so-wide auto mobilization and low international traffic - that's why every country signed its own cities first. On the other side, there were many more and stricter border controls - so everyone had to know the name of border check-point (What a stupid translation, I prefer the German "Grenzenübergang")

@everybody: Because this is obviously an off-topic, yesterday I created a thread for linguistic issues. Try moving it there.
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #279
Radish2

so is the whole road to Kyustendil repaired? When will we finally see pics of it?
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #280
bozata90

Only the signs are new, the road was in reconstruction a year ago, but this is still off-topic (well Kystendil is in fact in Macedonia - I mean the region, not the country, but still). get on-topic...

Tags
macedonia