daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues

United States Urban Issues Discussions and pictures of highrises, urbanity, architecture and the built environment of US cities



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 23rd, 2007, 01:33 AM   #21
Backstrom
Neanderthal
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 959
Likes (Received): 0

Personally, geographic square miles mean nothing. You have to compare by either density or office space. Like it's already been said, it really depends how you define "largest".
__________________
Seattle Transit Blog
Backstrom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:05 AM   #22
kevin22
BANNED
 
kevin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miami
Posts: 581
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
1. New York (374,345,143 sq. ft.)
2. Chicago (134,533,476 sq. ft.)
3. Washington, DC (81,285,863 sq. ft.)
4. Boston (78,094,079 sq. ft.)
5. San Francisco (68,449,408 sq. ft.)
6. Philadelphia (53,612,971 sq. ft.)
7. Los Angeles (50,838,105 sq. ft.)
8. Dallas (37,204,314 sq. ft.)
9. Houston (37,192,663 sq. ft.)
10. Denver (26,509,449 sq. ft.)
11. Detroit (18,565,739 sq. ft.)
12. Atlanta (11,221,650 sq. ft.)
13. Miami (9,314,741 sq. ft.)

*Note: The above figures are representative of the amount of office space held only within the primary downtown of each city. Also, secondary downtowns like New York's Jersey City and Houston's Uptown do make the list but are not included in the list.

http://www.mi.vt.edu/uploads/Edgeless%20Cities.pdf

Seattle (38,033,308 sq. ft.)
http://www.downtownseattle.com/conte...fficeSpace.cfm

According to Wikipedia, Downtown Houston has about 40,000,000 sq. ft.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uptown_Houston
wow new york city has a big downtown, no surprise miami is number 13 our downtown is quite small but still great.
kevin22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:08 AM   #23
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK
 
Westsidelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,725
Likes (Received): 39

^That figure represents all of Manhattan. It would be better if it were subdivided into Midtown and Lower Manhattan.
__________________
"I'm an LA guy, can't help it." -- Tiger Woods
Westsidelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:12 AM   #24
kevin22
BANNED
 
kevin22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Miami
Posts: 581
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
^That figure represents all of Manhattan. It would be better if it were subdivided into Midtown and Lower Manhattan.
i know
kevin22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:10 AM   #25
prelude91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago...Soon to be Washington D.C.
Posts: 1,240
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
1. New York (374,345,143 sq. ft.)
2. Chicago (134,533,476 sq. ft.)
3. Washington, DC (81,285,863 sq. ft.)
4. Boston (78,094,079 sq. ft.)
5. San Francisco (68,449,408 sq. ft.)
6. Philadelphia (53,612,971 sq. ft.)
7. Los Angeles (50,838,105 sq. ft.)
8. Dallas (37,204,314 sq. ft.)
9. Houston (37,192,663 sq. ft.)
10. Denver (26,509,449 sq. ft.)
11. Detroit (18,565,739 sq. ft.)
12. Atlanta (11,221,650 sq. ft.)
13. Miami (9,314,741 sq. ft.)

*Note: The above figures are representative of the amount of office space held only within the primary downtown of each city. Also, secondary downtowns like New York's Jersey City and Houston's Uptown do make the list but are not included in the list.

http://www.mi.vt.edu/uploads/Edgeless%20Cities.pdf

Seattle (38,033,308 sq. ft.)
http://www.downtownseattle.com/conte...fficeSpace.cfm

According to Wikipedia, Downtown Houston has about 40,000,000 sq. ft.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uptown_Houston
Wow, Boston is #4
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:22 AM   #26
Catmendue2
City Beautiful
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 55
Likes (Received): 1

Question Downtown is more than just Office space.

My guess is that residential buildings aren't being included as downtown space. Seems like lot of DT Chicago wasn't counted in these figures.
Catmendue2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:22 PM   #27
prelude91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago...Soon to be Washington D.C.
Posts: 1,240
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmendue2 View Post
My guess is that residential buildings aren't being included as downtown space. Seems like lot of DT Chicago wasn't counted in these figures.
I think you are correct, according to that list, chicago's "downtown" isnt even twice as large as boston's; but in reality it is like 4 or 5 times bigger (based on just looking at them, of course).
prelude91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:32 PM   #28
DCBaby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 92
Likes (Received): 0

These numbers are pretty accurate. I don't think Chicago's DT is 4 times bigger than Boston's.
DCBaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:19 PM   #29
SNL
BANNED
 
SNL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 426
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBaby View Post
These numbers are pretty accurate. I don't think Chicago's DT is 4 times bigger than Boston's.
i do. boston has like 400,000 people. chicago has 3 million with 10 million in the surrounding areas. these people have to work and live so you do the math.
SNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:48 PM   #30
Evangelion
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 569
Likes (Received): 0

I read in the Washington Post that Downtown Tysons Corner alone is larger then downtown Atlanta and Pheonix.
Evangelion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:47 PM   #31
DCBaby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 92
Likes (Received): 0

Boston also has about 5 to 6 million peopke in the metro. So what's your point? Eveybody doesn't work DT in either city. The numbers are what they are. Don't try to spruce them up by your ridiculous analogy. If that's the case, then LA should be number 2.
DCBaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:00 PM   #32
DCBaby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 92
Likes (Received): 0

NYC'S DT is not 4 times as big as Boston's so why do you think Chicago would be any different? This list is commercial office space only. Residential space is not included.

Evangelion you are correct. If you added Tysons Corner to the mix it would come in at #10 or #11. I want to see metro area numbers. I think DC would come in at #2 if you add in Tysons, Reston, Dulles, Silver Spring, Bethesda, Rossyln, Rockville, Arlington, Alexandria, Crystal City. Also this list does not take into account federal office space which accounts for a large footprint in DC. The Pentagon easily has six million feet of space and is one of the largest office buildings in the world.
DCBaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:05 PM   #33
SNL
BANNED
 
SNL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 426
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBaby View Post
Boston also has about 5 to 6 million peopke in the metro. So what's your point? Eveybody doesn't work DT in either city. The numbers are what they are. Don't try to spruce them up by your ridiculous analogy. If that's the case, then LA should be number 2.
my point is, by default chicago's downtown is easily twice as large. chicago has hundreds of thousands of more people living downtown than in boston. then you add in what chicago's worth to the nation is compared to bostons ($$$) and it's a no doubter that Chicago's downtown is at minimal, 3x larger than Boston's. what's your point?
SNL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:14 PM   #34
DCBaby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 92
Likes (Received): 0

Your analogy still doesn't add up. LA (city) is almost twice as large (pop wise) as Chicago, plus based on your $$$ scenario, LA is worth more, but Chicago still has more office space????????
DCBaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:16 PM   #35
DCBaby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 92
Likes (Received): 0

My point is that these number are correct. They are commercial office space only.
DCBaby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:28 PM   #36
goonsta
re
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: swine merchant
Posts: 480
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNL View Post
my point is, by default chicago's downtown is easily twice as large. chicago has hundreds of thousands of more people living downtown than in boston. then you add in what chicago's worth to the nation is compared to bostons ($$$) and it's a no doubter that Chicago's downtown is at minimal, 3x larger than Boston's. what's your point?
You're inflating those numbers, Chicago probably only has 50,000 more people downtown that Boston. The central area of Boston is extremely dense, what they don't have in highrises, they make up for in narrow, congested lowrises. Even when River North is completely built out, it will probably have at best 100,000 more people than Boston's downtown, unless the size is extended to include the South Loop.
__________________
Hell no
Hell yes
goonsta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #37
CITYofDREAMS
The Place
 
CITYofDREAMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,119
Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBaby View Post
Your analogy still doesn't add up. LA (city) is almost twice as large (pop wise) as Chicago, plus based on your $$$ scenario, LA is worth more, but Chicago still has more office space????????

I think it have to do with the fact that this numbers are inclusives of Downtowns... LA has more than one center but only one is considered DT the others are not being calculated in these numbers.
__________________
'Los Angeles is raw, uncouth and bizarre, but it's a place of substance. It has more new horizons than any other place." - Werner Herzog
CITYofDREAMS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #38
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK
 
Westsidelife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,725
Likes (Received): 39

^LA probably has just as much office space as Chicago does, only it's more spread out.
__________________
"I'm an LA guy, can't help it." -- Tiger Woods
Westsidelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #39
Somnifor
Chef beyond the wall
 
Somnifor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,769
Likes (Received): 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
1. New York (374,345,143 sq. ft.)
2. Chicago (134,533,476 sq. ft.)
3. Washington, DC (81,285,863 sq. ft.)
4. Boston (78,094,079 sq. ft.)
5. San Francisco (68,449,408 sq. ft.)
6. Philadelphia (53,612,971 sq. ft.)
7. Los Angeles (50,838,105 sq. ft.)
8. Dallas (37,204,314 sq. ft.)
9. Houston (37,192,663 sq. ft.)
10. Denver (26,509,449 sq. ft.)
11. Detroit (18,565,739 sq. ft.)
12. Atlanta (11,221,650 sq. ft.)
13. Miami (9,314,741 sq. ft.)

*Note: The above figures are representative of the amount of office space held only within the primary downtown of each city. Also, secondary downtowns like New York's Jersey City and Houston's Uptown do make the list but are not included in the list.

http://www.mi.vt.edu/uploads/Edgeless%20Cities.pdf

Seattle (38,033,308 sq. ft.)
http://www.downtownseattle.com/conte...fficeSpace.cfm

According to Wikipedia, Downtown Houston has about 40,000,000 sq. ft.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uptown_Houston
That list isn't complete. According to a 2002 United Properties webpage downtown Minneapolis had over 25,000,000 sq ft then.

http://www.uproperties.com/PagePrint...b-f2c44b29ddb5

"In downtown Minneapolis, which accounts for more than 25 million square feet of the total Twin Cities office market of 69 million square feet, the vacancy rate is at 11.8% today, versus 9.2% at mid-year 2001 and year-end 2000."

Last edited by Somnifor; May 24th, 2007 at 06:27 AM.
Somnifor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:13 AM   #40
Xusein
Xornimo
 
Xusein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 25,513
Likes (Received): 2984

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNL View Post
i do. boston has like 400,000 people. chicago has 3 million with 10 million in the surrounding areas. these people have to work and live so you do the math.
Boston is nearing 600k, and has over 7 million people in their CSA. Granted, their metro is incredibly sprawled and includes all of Rhode Island and large parts of New Hampshire, but it's not that tiny when comparing it to Chicago.

I'm not suprised for Boston's high position...it's downtown is very compact, but very big at the same time. I'm also not suprised for DC...large space is need for the feds, and the low-rises cause for more space.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu