daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Vote for the best domed building!
Taj Mahal 110 45.27%
Hagia Sophia 63 25.93%
St. Peter's Basilica 70 28.81%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 7th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #101
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAESARS-PALACe View Post
the pictures at the beginning of this poll are a little bit misleading, they make the Taj Mahal seem huge compared to a rather small St-Peters , diagram from skyscraperpage :

Yes, the pictures at the beginning of this thread are bad!
Pincio no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #102
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

This is one of the greatest masterpieces in the history of architecture:

image hosted on flickr

The CUPOLA designed by Michelangelo.
It is simply the perfection of Renaissance art.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Pincio; September 7th, 2007 at 03:09 PM.
Pincio no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #103
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by federicoft View Post
Never heard of Pantheon?
Yes, I have. and I dont like it, I dont care if its antiquated
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #104
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Nigel Effect View Post
Yes, I have. and I dont like it, I dont care if its antiquated
Why not?
It's one of my favourite roman monuments. It is the best preserved building of its age in the world. Parthenon and Coliseum are not so well preserved. it has the biggest dome in the history of architecture (except the domes realised in iron or ferroconcrete) 43 meters in diameter (142 feet). It's proportions are perfect.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Pincio no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #105
Kaiser
Herr

Likes (Received): 22

hagia sophia then taj mahal
Old September 15th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #106
Ton-Tille

Likes (Received): 1

Taj Mahal
Ton-Tille no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #107
jumping_jack
midnight talker

Likes (Received): 821

the results of this pool are nothing but misunderstanding and ignorance in matter of art, arhitecture and history, st. peter's is an unique masterpiece of architecture, arts and building techniques, result of hard work of generations of best architects and artists ever, bramante, sangallo the young, michelangelo, giacomo della porta, carlo maderno, gian lorenzo bernini etc...
compared to the vatican basilica the other 2 buildings are nothing but huts
jumping_jack no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #108
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumping_jack View Post
the results of this pool are nothing but misunderstanding and ignorance in matter of art, arhitecture and history, st. peter's is an unique masterpiece of architecture, arts and building techniques, result of hard work of generations of best architects and artists ever, bramante, sangallo the young, michelangelo, giacomo della porta, carlo maderno, gian lorenzo bernini etc...
compared to the vatican basilica the other 2 buildings are nothing but huts
Ah, I see

Because the poll chose a different winner than you wanted, the people who disagree with you are automatically ignorant in artistic forms...or perhaps you are ignorant of the Iconoclast Byzantine style of architecture and the Indo-Saracenic branch of architecture?
Also, it is debatable if those are the 'best architects and artists ever'...sounds like nationalist hyperbole to me
Smooth though...'since my building didnt win the poll, you guys are artistically ignorant'
Old September 15th, 2007, 09:22 PM   #109
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincio View Post
Why not?
It's one of my favourite roman monuments. It is the best preserved building of its age in the world. Parthenon and Coliseum are not so well preserved. it has the biggest dome in the history of architecture (except the domes realised in iron or ferroconcrete) 43 meters in diameter (142 feet). It's proportions are perfect.
Sorry

I might have been a bit over-harsh

Not that I strongly dislike it or anything. All I'm saying is that, although it is a beautiful building, it is not as beautiful as the Taj Mahal or St. Peters, in my opinion. Also, even though it is the predecessor of these domed monuments (especially the Hagia Sofia, and St Peters) that doesnt make it better However both it and the Hagia Sofia are equally compelling in my mind.
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #110
Annibale

Location: Ar-Raqqa []; Ar-Core []; Ar-Megiddo []; Ar-Luno [x]; Ar-Trove []
Likes (Received): 666

When Michelangelo was given to project the st. Peters' dome he said, referring to Santa Maria del Fiore's dome: "Farò la sorella, più grande gia, ma non più bella". (I'll make her sister, bigger, but not so beautiful)
Annibale no está en línea  
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #111
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibale View Post
When Michelangelo was given to project the st. Peters' dome he said, referring to Santa Maria del Fiore's dome: "Farò la sorella, più grande gia, ma non più bella". (I'll make her sister, bigger, but not so beautiful)
Florence's cathedral is incredibly beautiful. I think its more beautiful than St Peters - especially love the orange hue of the roof and the interior of the dome
Old September 15th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #112
jumping_jack
midnight talker

Likes (Received): 821

Quote:
Ah, I see

Because the poll chose a different winner than you wanted, the people who disagree with you are automatically ignorant in artistic forms...or perhaps you are ignorant of the Iconoclast Byzantine style of architecture and the Indo-Saracenic branch of architecture?
Also, it is debatable if those are the 'best architects and artists ever'...sounds like nationalist hyperbole to me
Smooth though...'since my building didnt win the poll, you guys are artistically ignorant'
You must have a sort of inferiority complex, you turning my opinion in some sick ideological and nationalist crusade. What I wanted to say is that the opinions expressed in this poll like in many others don’t match the real value of the works proposed, and If you weren’t so prejudiced you wouldn’t talk about nationalist hyperboles.
Personally I consider completely dump the new choice of 7 wonders although colosseum was chosen…
Rregards, and best wishes to not explode tomorrow.
jumping_jack no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:20 AM   #113
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

^ But I agree with him. Your views sound like nationalist hyperbole to me too. I think St Peter's is magnificent but it gives me less aesthetic pleasure than the Taj Mahal. Amongst European cathedrals I generally find the gothic more inspiring than the Renaissance ones. I think the Taj Mahal is the most beautiful building ever built - aesthetically superior to St Peter's or anything else. The shape of the dome is more exquisite and the overall form is perfectly balanced. Absolutely flawless:

Monkey no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #114
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincio View Post
This [St Peter's] is one of the greatest masterpieces in the history of architecture.
Yes indeed it is - but then it's up against the Taj Mahal here - and the Taj Mahal is the greatest masterpiece in the history of architecture.
Monkey no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #115
Mahratta
Ayatollah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Yes indeed it is - but then it's up against the Taj Mahal here - and the Taj Mahal is the greatest masterpiece in the history of architecture.
Shh...you maybe accused of artistic ignorance or nationalist hyperbole...because you disagree with what he is saying
Old September 16th, 2007, 09:15 AM   #116
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Quote:
Florence's cathedral is incredibly beautiful. I think its more beautiful than St Peters - especially love the orange hue of the roof and the interior of the dome
I don't think so. The facade of Florence Dome is a copy and it was realised in 1887. I prefer

Orvieto Cathedral

image hosted on flickr

Monreale Cathedral
All decorated by mosaics (6,500 m²)

image hosted on flickr
Pincio no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #117
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
None of them (St.Peter, Hagia, Taj) are in my personal list of "best domed building".
St.Peter is only the biggest church in Christendom.
Pincio no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #118
Pincio
S.P.Q.R.

This is one of the Raffaello's frescoes in Vatican Museums. It shows St.Peter at that time, the first project made by Bramante. Then Michelangelo modified the project, Maderno built the facade, and Bernini added some decorations.

image hosted on flickr
Pincio no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #119
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

The Taj's beauty lies in its simplicity.
_00_deathscar no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #120
Annibale

Location: Ar-Raqqa []; Ar-Core []; Ar-Megiddo []; Ar-Luno [x]; Ar-Trove []
Likes (Received): 666

I think that taj is simple and in some way perfect... St.Peters could have been better in Bramante and Michelangelo's design, but the will of the popes to enlarge it made it worst, even if great architects worked on it
Annibale no está en línea  

Closed Thread