daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Scottish Architecture Forum > Glasgow Metro Area

Glasgow Metro Area Architecture, Design and Urban Issues in Glasgow

View Poll Results: Should it be restored at a cost of £10million
Yes 34 85.00%
No 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:33 PM   #1
Mr. B

Likes (Received): 664

City of Adelaide/HMS Carrick

Well you've probably heard about the Cutty Sark Fire and how they will probably get more money to fix up the ship. However at this moment in Irvine there is the only ship in the world that is a clipper from the same period as the cutty sark is rotting at the National Mritime Musem . I believe someone should invest in it as it is in a sorry state. Next week the local council will meet to discuss the demoliton of it. It is of course the City of Adelaide or as it was also know HMS Carrick. It is 142 years old. It was the ship that sank at its moorings in Glasgow a good few years back.

Sponsored Links

Old May 21st, 2007, 10:44 PM   #2
M_Riaz
MORI

Likes (Received): 242

They would restore it if they could get their hands on the money.

Problem is none of the government nor the private agencies seem to think it has any historical significance of importance to have faith in the project.

Must say it has brought it out to media exposure tonight as the Cutty Sark fire story emerges on the news headlines.

Who would fund it after it lying in decay after all these years??
M_Riaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:45 PM   #3
Mr. B

someone should give Sir Tom Hunter a call.
Old May 21st, 2007, 10:57 PM   #4
Goldie

Likes (Received): 21

It's a massive downer that Adelaide's lasted this long but no-one's ever been daft enough or wealthy enough to have her restored - she would look excellent sharing the Clyde with Glenlee. Are the Council really going to try and demolish her?
Goldie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:27 PM   #5
Momus

Likes (Received): 0

Restore it and give it a berth as part of the Graving Docks I say...
Momus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:44 AM   #6
crusty_bint
control yourself

Likes (Received): 63

The restoration price tag a year or so ago was £10million but as Mo says the money couldn't be found. And so it rots, awaiting dismantling. The Cutty's Ark is/was/is undergoing an £25million restoration due to the same problems with the wrought iron super-structure, perhaps the media attention that has now got could be used to highlight the Carrick's plight.

Any journos on here?

Murdo, you must have a coupl'a bob tae sperr?
The old coats are discarded. The old ice is loosed. The old seeds are awake.

Slip out of darkness, it is time.
crusty_bint no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:51 AM   #7
M_Riaz
MORI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty bint
Any journos on here?
Whatever happend to Space Invader?? did he get banned ?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 01:17 AM   #8
crusty_bint
control yourself

Surely no? Shoooorly no?? Think he prolly just got bored

...or busy

Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:51 AM   #9
M_Riaz
MORI

A tale of two clippers

It could be fortuitous that the Clyde-built Cutty Sark went up in flames the week before The Carrick, the world's only other surviving tea clipper, is due to be consigned to oblivion. It would be difficult to exaggerate the importance of these two ships to Britain's maritime heritage. Like thoroughbred race horses, they were built for speed at a time when fortunes were to be made from reaching London with the first tea of the season out of Shanghai. Under full sail, they were not only a beautiful sight but for a brief period they were able to outpace the new generation of steamships. We will never see their like again and it would be tragic if 2007 saw the demise of them both.

In recent years their fortunes have contrasted sharply. While Cutty Sark embarked last year on a £25m renovation project, The Carrick has continued to deteriorate at the Scottish Maritime Museum in Irvine, after a £5m rescue plan failed to attract sufficient backing. It is a vivid illustration of the extent to which the estate agent's catchphrase, "Location, location, location", applies to British industrial and maritime heritage. It is almost inconceivable that The Carrick would have suffered this fate in the Solent or on the Thames. Scotland's preoccupation with fine art at the expense of its own industrial heritage is such that it would be easier to raise £5m for a Turner painting of The Carrick than the ship herself.

The current sad situation cannot be laid at the door of the Scottish Maritime Museum, whose trustees have strained every sinew to save the ship, having salvaged her from the bottom of the Clyde. Though built in Sunderland, The Carrick became a well-loved Glasgow landmark, as a base for the RNVR, and would make a fitting focus for the city's planned new riverside transport museum.The cruel fate of the Cutty Sark is a poignant reminder of what we are on the brink of losing forever. At the very least, there is surely a compelling argument for delaying the final decision to dismantle The Carrick - due next Tuesday - until a thorough survey can be made of what remains of the Cutty Sark to assess the chances of restoring that much-loved old lady. Meanwhile, Historic Scotland should bear the ongoing costs of The Carrick, which currently threaten to sink the poorly-supported maritime museum.

France, having realised its error in scrapping its historic ships, is now busy building replicas. We do not need to. Not yet. But, as Oscar Wilde might have put it: to lose one historic tea clipper may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:01 PM   #10
crusty_bint
control yourself

Did you write that Mo? (I don't buy the Herald... or any papers actually)

Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:17 PM   #11
M_Riaz
MORI

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusty_bint View Post
Did you write that Mo? (I don't buy the Herald... or any papers actually)

You takin the Piss binty ? i wouldnt be here if i could write like that lol

it is from the herald just forget to put the link up.

i dont buy any papers/ go to the bank/ postoffice/high st shopping/and many other things i can do at home from my keyboard either since i went electronic.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:32 PM   #12
resistme

Likes (Received): 6

Why was it renamed, City of Adelade anyways?
resistme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:33 PM   #13
resistme

Likes (Received): 6

Why was it renamed, City of Adelade anyways? I always felt sorry for the Carrick moored on the Clyde, and it should definately be rebuilt and dry docked, at the new Transport Museum!

How kewl would that be?!?!
resistme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:40 PM   #14
Mr. B

It was originally when built called the City of Adelaide because it ferried people from britain to southern Australia and in particular the City of Adelaide. It is thought that up to 60% of people in Southern Australia can trace back their families as to have came to the country on board the ship. It was renamed HMS Carrick when it joined the navy as a training vessel.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:52 PM   #15
Boards
Cunty

Likes (Received): 303

Theres people on this forum and in London acting like the Cutty Sark fire is a national catastrophe and we have one down the road rotting its arse off no-one gives a fuck about
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:09 PM   #16
Mr. B

Why dont they just fix up the Carrick. It will cost £10million to fix it up but will cost £25million to fix up the Cutty Sark. For cryin' out loud, fix the Carrick put it on display as a visitor attraction in Glasgow. Duh! This government and rich folk should do something decent for a change and fix up this bloody ship.

Mr. B is VERY ANGRY
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:32 AM   #17
M_Riaz
MORI

BBC

Quote:
Experts will meet next week to discuss the demolition. They will now consider whether to put the plans on hold.
There is a meeting next week to decide wether to put the demolition plans on hold or not, so lets see what happens.

heres hoping there is a last minute reprieve.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:47 PM   #18
Jimbob
Scotland with ASBO's

Likes (Received): 2

Oh im back on the forum. such a long time!
but the Irvine thing sparked my interest, I moved there from Ayr like 10 years ago.
You know they actually organise school trips to that maratime place, I actually went on one and you can actually go inside that ship. It looks really unsafe from the outside but it's not too bad inside. there is huge holes all over the place, but theres absoloutely nothing in there, just rotting wood. Kinda weird that they'd let children inside that thing.
Jimbob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #19
ChrisV
ChrisV

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Riaz View Post
BBC

There is a meeting next week to decide wether to put the demolition plans on hold or not, so lets see what happens.

heres hoping there is a last minute reprieve.
DON'T JUST SEE WHAT HAPPENS, YOU SCOTS MAKE THE RIGHT THING HAPPEN BY LOBBYING HARD NOW, FOR CHRISSAKE!!!!!!
ChrisV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 03:33 PM   #20
cinosanap
Profile of the Rising Sun

Likes (Received): 8

I thought it was £5 million. Ah well.

Surely it could be taken to either of the two bog cities which would offer more incentive for it to be restored.
cinosanap no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: