daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:20 AM   #1
kcmetro
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

KANSAS CITY | Kauffman Stadium Renovation | Pro

These renderings were released today that show the renovations to Kauffman Stadium where the Royals play. Looks like it's going to be very nice!

kcmetro no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:47 AM   #2
hoosier

Likes (Received): 53

It appears that the main change would be to the exterior in terms of enclosing the concourses.

What is the timetable for this project?
hoosier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:57 AM   #3
IndiexInxIndy
Fuck The Bullshit!

Likes (Received): 0

So it looks nice BUT... Is this really an improvement? It looks A LOT alike! o_O
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:35 AM   #4
kcmetro
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiexInxIndy View Post
So it looks nice BUT... Is this really an improvement? It looks A LOT alike! o_O
Yeah it's an improvement. The only thing different I'd have about this project is to make it in downtown. But the new additions will be very nice. More seating in the outfield, much wider concourses, new restaurants, most bathrooms in the MLB, reconfiguration of the fountains in the outfield, new restaurants and concessions in the outfield area, different bullpen configuration, new ticket offices, huge HD video board...

Kauffman is always up there as one of the best parks in the league. Not a bad seat in the house and these renovations will just make it that much better. The All-Star game will be played here soon after it's finished. The timeline has it finished for the '09 or '10 season. Can't remember which.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:46 AM   #5
MilwaukeeD

Likes (Received): 2

What is this expected to cost? Just curious.
MilwaukeeD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:57 AM   #6
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

cool design,
look at the beautiful parking lots around it,
so natural.. so beautiful..
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:12 AM   #7
miltown
urban informant

Likes (Received): 84

looks great, hopefully it will help put a winning team on the field tho....
miltown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 08:56 AM   #8
ADCS
Kickin' it

Likes (Received): 36

A first-rate facility for an unfortunately fifth-rate team. They have got to get something going soon!
ADCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 03:19 PM   #9
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

here's what i think is great: you can use a totally symmetrical layout and still still be every bit as warm and inviting as the quirky, off-centered retroparks.

in fact, i like symmetrical ball parks, especially compared to retroparks where the odd dimensions have nothing to do with the layout of their sites (one of the few...if only...expections: AT&T in SF where China Basin cuts down the size of right field).

Even the Cell here in Chgo has become a far more comfortable and enjoyable place with renovation. I think there is a lot to be said for the layouts that today are best represented by Kaufamnn, the Cell, and the true gem, Dodger Stadium.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:23 PM   #10
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

Are they letting people out by the scoreboard and fountains (are those fountain seats)? When I was in KC a good 10 years back, all of that was blocked off.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:49 AM   #11
kcmetro
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naptown View Post
Are they letting people out by the scoreboard and fountains (are those fountain seats)? When I was in KC a good 10 years back, all of that was blocked off.
Yep, they're opening all that up and putting seats right next to the fountains which will be cool. That's something I've always wanted...more interaction between the fans and the fountains.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:41 AM   #12
kcmetro
BANNED

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/117203.html

No doubt the most noticeable feature of the upcoming stadium renovations at Kauffman Stadium will be the new crown scoreboard behind center field.

“It will be about 50 percent bigger than it is now,” reported Earl Santee, senior principal of renovations for HOK Sport, which is in charge of the stadium redesign.

The new scoreboard will stand about 105 feet tall and about 84 feet wide. It will, in fact, be as tall as the outfield light standards.

“I’m not sure if there are any scoreboards that tall in other stadiums,” Santee said. “This might end up being the tallest.”
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #13
milwaukeeunseen
Look closer...

Likes (Received): 2

Revamped and new stadiums do make a difference in attracting more people, and thus revenue, to the franchise. Without Miller Park I really don't think the Brewers would be competitive today (still leading the NL Central!!)

Come to Milwaukee sometime when the Cubs or Twins are playing at Miller Park and you will see sold out games and tons of out of town fans. They are drawn in part by the experience of seeing a game in such a nice park.

What's even more encouraging is that the Brewers themselves are finally starting to draw sizable crowds on their own terms. I think a lot of this success can be attributed to the new ballpark.
Old January 29th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #14
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 844

Is the Kauffman stadium too futuristic for the Royals to even get a new stadium? Can the facility ever get outdated?
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:42 PM   #15
omahajayscu

Likes (Received): 10

Looks like the pictures went away, here are the renderings I found. As a Royals fan, I am pumped about this.

Upon completion, the stadium will feature a new scoreboard, new outfield seating, expanded concourses, a taste of KC food court area in the outfield, a new restaurant, and other family amenities.

omahajayscu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #16
Paule

Likes (Received): 947

I'm sorry but I would just build a new stadium.

So you're adding more bleacher seats out in the outfield and expanding the concourses, whoopdie-doo, I don't get it.
Paule no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #17
MJinOshkosh

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paule View Post
I'm sorry but I would just build a new stadium.

So you're adding more bleacher seats out in the outfield and expanding the concourses, whoopdie-doo, I don't get it.
Having just been to Kaufman field to see a 15 to 1 Indians blow out of the Royals. I thought Kaufman field to be a very good place to see a ball game. Further to build new just for the sake of building new is really foolish particularly when you already have something well taken care of and still in very good shape. The reason for Miller park in Milwaukee is "Lets be honest County Stadium was a dump!" But County Stadium was our dump and I always enjoyed going to see the Brewers at County Stadium But Still County Stadium was a dump. I love Miller Park I have seen the Brewers there too and the experience though different than County Stadium is enjoyable too but for differing reasons. Paule, go to Kaufman field and I bet you might change your mind on just building a new stadium.
MJinOshkosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #18
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

how much is this renovation gonna' cost again? if it was said, i missed it...
MasonsInquiries no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:58 PM   #19
Paule

Likes (Received): 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJinOshkosh View Post
Having just been to Kaufman field to see a 15 to 1 Indians blow out of the Royals. I thought Kaufman field to be a very good place to see a ball game. Further to build new just for the sake of building new is really foolish particularly when you already have something well taken care of and still in very good shape. The reason for Miller park in Milwaukee is "Lets be honest County Stadium was a dump!" But County Stadium was our dump and I always enjoyed going to see the Brewers at County Stadium But Still County Stadium was a dump. I love Miller Park I have seen the Brewers there too and the experience though different than County Stadium is enjoyable too but for differing reasons. Paule, go to Kaufman field and I bet you might change your mind on just building a new stadium.
You missed my point entirely. I already know Kaufman field is a great place to watch a game, I never said it wasn't.
Paule no está en línea   Reply With Quote