daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:26 AM   #1
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17827

Hong Kong's Skyline - 10 Years After the Handover

Hong Kong traces its fortunes in its soaring skyline

HONG KONG, May 14, 2007 (AFP) - On either shore of the western entrance to Hong Kong's harbour stand what will be the city's two tallest office buildings -- the IFC2, which opened in 2003, and the ICC, due to open in 2009.

The soaring towers will form the two pillars of a so-called "harbour gateway," a striking monument to the strength of this Asian business hub's financial clout.

They are the most noticeable structures to have been erected in this city of skyscrapers since sovereignty passed from Britain to China in 1997, transforming a skyline that has changed in reflection of the city's fortunes.

Hong Kong possesses four of the world's 20 tallest buildings -- the figure wil rise to five with the opening of the ICC.

From the air, the southern shore of Hong Kong Island looks like a pin cushion, a solid three-mile wide swathe of skyscrapers creating one of the world's most spectacular skylines.

Skyline - October 2005

But it's a skyline in constant flux. Since the handover of June 30, 1997, Hong Kong's harbourfront has been transformed beyond recognition.

As well as the slender IFC2, which at 415-metres (1,381 feet) is the world's sixth tallest tower and Hong Kong's tallest, the skyline has been punctuated by several other new colossal buildings in the past 10 years.

In the downtown district, The Centre, a 346-metre monster opened in 1998, has added a dash of neon glitz to the city, with huge LED panels running up its sides that change colour every few seconds.

The Centre @ Night

The 283-metre Cheung Kong Centre is the flagship of property mogul Li Ka-shing, who is said to have a luxurious apartment in its penthouse.

Among the most noticeable changes to the skyline over the past decade has been the gradual shift of skyscraper construction from Hong Kong Island to Kowloon, on the opposite side of the harbour.

This is most apparent in the West Kowloon area where the Union Square precinct of towers has risen in the past few years.

Union Square - April 2007

Centred on the ICC, which will be Hong Kong's tallest building and home to the city's Ritz Carlton Hotel, it comprises the Sorrento, the city's tallest residential block at 256 metres, and the 270-metre twin Cullinan Towers, which will offer luxury boutique hotels and serviced apartments.

They are all concentrated over what will be the city's largest retail centre, the two million-square-foot Elements shopping mall, above the newly opened Kowloon station.

Further north, the silo-shaped Langham Place represents the first green shoots of regeneration in the run-down but bustling Mong Kok district.

Langham Place

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:37 AM   #2
TYW
Penang Skyscrapers Hunter

Likes (Received): 28

nice article and pics

i would love to see this
"The soaring towers will form the two pillars of a so-called "harbour gateway," "
happen soon

"the said Municipality of George Town shall on the First Day of January in the Year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and fifty seven and forever thereafter be a city and shall be called and styled the CITY OF GEORGE TOWN instead of the Municipality of George Town and shall thenceforth have all such rank, liberties, privileges and immunities as are incident to a city." - Queen Elizabeth II
TYW no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 05:41 AM   #3
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

ICC is going to be an incredible addition to HK's skyline. To have it and 2IFC bookend the harbor is the stuff that dreams are made of.
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #4
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2576

In the future, Kowloon may become the centre of attraction or it may overrun HK Island in terms of skyline and skyscrapers

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 07:42 AM   #5
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Don't be so sure about that. There is a huge public outcry over skyscraper walls in Kowloon. The pace of redevelopment will slow as expropriation and zoning issues need to be resolved. Langham Place almost took 2 decades to complete from expropriation to opening.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old June 12th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #6
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Architect sings praises of city's growth up rather than out
12 June 2007
South China Morning Post

Tall buildings are here to stay and will become even more prominent as the 21st century unfolds, the principal architect of what will become Hong Kong's tallest building declared yesterday.

Paul Katz, from Kohn Pedersen FoxFox Associates, dismissed criticism of tall buildings as eyesores and environmentally unsustainable, insisting they are the way of the future.

They use less energy because they have less roof space, are closer to public transport, and preserve the natural environment, he said.

When construction is finished on the 118-storey International Commerce Centre, it will stretch 490 metres into the air, making it the tallest building in the city and the third-tallest in the world.

The project is part of Sun Hung Kai's Kowloon Station Development, which includes the residential towers The Cullinan and HarbourView Place, and the Ritz-Carlton and W hotels - and more than one million sq ft of shopping space.

While Kowloon is suited to large-scale buildings such as the International Commercial Centre, Mr Katz said the Central waterfront and Tamar development should keep heights lower and ensure the waterfront stays open to the public.

He was also sceptical about designating West Kowloon as a cultural precinct and suggested such an area would be better off in the Central district.

"You just have to look at the experience of London and South Bank, which took years to work despite London being one of the world's most cultured cities," he said.

Mr Katz described Hong Kong as the best model for urban development in Asia and said mainland cities should follow its upward development rather than embrace outward sprawl.

"When you fly into Hong Kong, you realise just how small the buildings are and how much green space there is," he said. "You have a choice: a small city or sprawl with cars, and sprawl really should be outlawed in a responsible society. Why would someone want to live in a city where whenever you want something, you have to jump into a car?"

Old June 12th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #7
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

I had a thread on HK's skyline evolution
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=288151

Anyway here it goes

Anyway, lets take you back to the old school circa 1920s

Hong Kong during the 1920s. The buildings have their colonial architectures and are mostly mid-rise

How about 1960s

This is the year when Hong Kong's skyline starts to develop. Especially in The Central District. The tallest buildings during that period were the Princess Building, Swire House, City Hall and the old Bank of China and Hong Kong Bank buildings. The Hilton Hotel has been finish and was the tallest during that period.

1970s

From the early 1970s, one of the city's first reclamations had taken effect which was in Wan Chai & Causeway Bay.

Hong Kong in 1976. The Jardines House has been completed and became the tallest and most symbolic skyscraper. Also, you can see Hong Kong is as vibrant during that decade without those lighting effects and the Symphoney Of Lights.

1980s

Hong Kong in 1984. More office towers have been added in Central and Admiralty. Also, luxury high-rises have been developed in Mid-Levels. The reclamation in Wan Chai has been added with office towers.

1990s

The Bank Of China has been completed. The Central Plaza then became the tallest building in HK. The Centre became the tallest in the western part of the island and thousand of high-rises developed.

today

This is Hong Kong as of today. The 2 IFC has been completed. More highrises have been developed.

Old June 12th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #8
hkskyline
Hong Kong

This thread is not about how Hong Kong's skyline evolved from the start of the manufacturing revolution but more about the changes since the handover a decade ago.

Handover 10th Anniversary thread : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=472366

Old June 12th, 2007, 06:43 AM   #9
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
This thread is not about how Hong Kong's skyline evolved from the start of the manufacturing revolution but more about the changes since the handover a decade ago.

Handover 10th Anniversary thread : http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=472366
How about the last two pics then. I'm pretty sure the 2nd to the last pic was taken after the handover since The Centre was completed during that time.

Old June 12th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #10
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
How about the last two pics then. I'm pretty sure the 2nd to the last pic was taken after the handover since The Centre was completed during that time.
So are you saying out of all that information only the last 2 photos are relevant for this thread?

Hong Kong's post-handover skyscraper development has been quite staggering. Although a major boom took place in the 1990s, the supertalls really arrived after the handover. Much of the development came as a result of the new airport project, as new lands were reclaimed for the present 2 IFC and Union Square sites. In addition, a whole series of new residential skyscrapers have sprung up along the reclaimed lands in the western part of Kowloon and Tung Chung.

Also, keep in mind all this took place despite the Asian financial crisis and SARS, although recessions are expected as part of the regular economic cycle.

Old June 12th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #11
LDN_EUROPE
UK (Eng/Sco/Wal/N.I.) UK

Likes (Received): 105

I was in HK last weekend. Bloody love that city. Best of British AND Chinese. My kind of town.
Old June 12th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #12
jlshyang

Likes (Received): 13

wow, what an interesting thread!

I like the pictures showing the transformation in HK's skyline.
jlshyang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2007, 05:40 AM   #13
Pablo
Jian Fa

Likes (Received): 3

awesome...it is great to c the changing of HK skyline
Old June 14th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #14
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

This is amazing. I can't imagine how Hong Kong will look in another 20 years. Hopefully people stop groveling about skyscraper walls and find some way to continue building the scrapers while minimizing the environmental effects!

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #15
Dreamlıneя

Likes (Received): 3

Great thread! HK has an amazing skyline! i love it!
Dreamlıneя no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #16
jason poon
A Hongkonger

Likes (Received): 1

Post-1997 Light Show in Victoria Harbour

We welcome the world for the 10th Anniversary and the aforesaid lighting show will take place every 8:00pm in the Victoria Harbour while there is additional rooftop firework events from July 1~8, 2007.

Specially a giant firework show will take place at 8:13pm~8:36pm at July 1, 2007.
jason poon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:37 PM   #17
bonivison

Likes (Received): 49

HongKong
I love you
oriental pearl
bonivison no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 12:51 PM   #18
Astralis
Out of time

Likes (Received): 26

Hong Kong has it all... and the best world's skyline as well .
Astralis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 07:49 AM   #19
hkskyline
Hong Kong

6/30/2007

Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:13 AM   #20
shaKEEN

Likes (Received): 0

i love bank of china building!!!!!!!!!!!!

my inspiration to be an architect...
shaKEEN no está en línea   Reply With Quote