daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 6th, 2012, 06:00 PM   #2001
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Transit truck traffic through the Alps via the Tauern route is negligible, only about 2,500 per day. East-west truck traffic is much more intense.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #2002
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Yes, but not via Munich. Most freight on A99 is heading for Brenner. So another reason not to build this road.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #2003
ChrisZwolle
Road user

How will A94-S9 compete with the Brenner Autobahn?
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #2004
Road_UK
BANNED

It won´t. This is what I`m saying. Munich is a transit hub for Brenner and Tauern, while Nürnberg and Regensburg are transit hubs for Vienna and beyond. There is no need for an A94, but an upgrade of the A8 is required.
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #2005
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

True. You don't need parallel motorway for a traffic, that could easily use existing motorways. Widening of A8 to six lanes would be enough for decades. If that takes 30 minutes more of driving, so be it, it isn't critical. There also isn't any straight motorway between München and Innsbruck and nobody cares.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #2006
Road_UK
BANNED

That would be impossible, unless you`d think of doing the unthinkable and build a motorway right through the Achenlake (Achensee) or the gab at Scharnitz/Seefeld...
Old May 6th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #2007
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Nothing is impossible with right amounts of money.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #2008
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

A94+S9 would also decongest A8+A1. A full A94 is going to be a fact in a few years, so why not continue it in Austria?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #2009
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

What is in fact the state of the A94? I drove on the E552 on my way from Ingolstadt til Burghausen, http://g.co/maps/h2a6a

Here, picture report
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...postcount=4009
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:17 AM   #2010
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Nothing is impossible with right amounts of money.
Yes...

Tell that to the Ministry of Finance here in Norway and their untouchable $517 billion oil fund of which 4% of the revenue may be used. But wait! Did they loan some millions to Germany? Was it with interests of about 1-2%? Yes it was. And did the Germans build roads with that money? Yes they did. But here in Norway? No way. Loans for road building? 6% interests, or GTFO.

Also, don't forget the toll stations, just to make sure that you got the memo about you getting screwed for just thinking about driving a car in this country.

Oh, I forgot to mention that roads in this country are a joke compared to other western european roads. And also a joke, compared to the expected level of quality they would have, had we just followed the standards that the authorities set themselves.
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #2011
thun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
while anything north of Heilbronn and Nürnberg uses A3 via Passau avoiding Munich. The amount of people that would benefit from a new link from Munich to Vienna are at a bare minumum, and not worth upsetting local farmers and countryside.
Erm, by your definition (with which I agree) we probably talk about a similar number of Germans (let alone the French and Swiss) as there are people living in the whole of Austria.
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #2012
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Which route from Passau towards Linz is better/nicer?

South of the Danube
http://g.co/maps/xk85q

Or North?
http://g.co/maps/v3mwf
Old May 7th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #2013
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

I guess it doesn't really matter.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:05 PM   #2014
thun

In fact it doesn't. The Northern side is sunnier, however. And you have a better view of Passau and you won't losse that much time going through Passau (if you should be there at rush hour)
If you should choose the southern road, in order to have a great view of Passau, drive up to Haibach right after the petrol station behind the border, its a detour of 15min or so but totally worth it.
Old May 8th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #2015
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun View Post
In fact it doesn't. The Northern side is sunnier, however. And you have a better view of Passau and you won't losse that much time going through Passau (if you should be there at rush hour)
If you should choose the southern road, in order to have a great view of Passau, drive up to Haibach right after the petrol station behind the border, its a detour of 15min or so but totally worth it.
Thanks for the tip with Haibach, I saw it on Google Maps: http://g.co/maps/x9zer
I will leave Ingolstadt on 17th May, a National free day in Germany, seems in Austria too.
In fact my South and North routes are not very different, they both merge in point B of the map http://g.co/maps/kktc4
An alternative on the North side would be, but I'm not sure if this won't lose to much time: http://g.co/maps/wk6sa
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #2016
thun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I will leave Ingolstadt on 17th May, a National free day in Germany, seems in Austria too.
You should be perfectly fine then. Passau (the corridor from Schanzl to Innstadt) is quite congested on mornings and evenings on work days (you easily loose up to 20, 30min, depending on where you're coming from), but usually that's nor the case on holidays.
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #2017
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
There is no need for an A94, but an upgrade of the A8 is required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
True. You don't need parallel motorway for a traffic, that could easily use existing motorways. Widening of A8 to six lanes would be enough for decades. If that takes 30 minutes more of driving, so be it, it isn't critical.
According to Google, A94/B12/A94 is currently faster and shorter than the A8 between Munich and Vienna. 30 minutes of extra driving times thousands of vehicles per day is a lot of extra pollution, some extra accidents, etc. Completion of the A94 seems to me a better investment than adding lanes to the A8.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #2018
Road_UK
BANNED

Read the other arguments as well please...
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #2019
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's much more certain A94 will be constructed than the A8 will be widened, as a matter of fact, A94 is already under construction between Pastetten and Dorfen and the remaining link to Heldenstein will commence soon as well.

The discussion whether either A94 should be constructed or A8 should be widened is long gone. The sole discussion remaining is whether Austria will upgrade the route from Braunau am Inn to Austrian A8 or not.

Whether German A8 will be widened or not (I think it should) is not relevant to the A94 anymore.

Old May 9th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #2020
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The interchange A8/S9 near Ried im Innkreis was already constructed:

Tags
austria