daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #2021
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

A1 West Autobahn

Today it's exactly 45 years ago the A1 was completed, when the final 14 kilometers near Amstetten opened to traffic. It was the first major motorway in Austria that was completed. The 13,5 kilometer Amstetten section opened on May 12th, 1967.

Construction of the A1 began on April 7, 1938 by Hitler himself. The first section opened in 1941 near Salzburg. Another short section opened in 1949, one of the first post World War II openings in Europe. Significant sections opened from 1958 onward.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #2022
atrida02

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I don't think that much of the traffic from Wien to Klagenfurt would move to S6/S36/S37 because it's more confortable to drive on a motorway and the speed limit is higher.
I don't think that way. I'm from Graz and I have like exactly the same km when I drive to vienna via A2 or via S35/S6.

Speed limits are the same on the Autobahn and the Schnellstraße. The only difference is that via S35/S6 are more tunnels but on that route there is usually alot less traffic. And therefore I find it more comfortable to drive on the S6 than on the A2. So I just take one time this route, other times the other route, it takes like exactly the same time but when there is alot of traffic like on vacation weekends S6/S35 is always faster.

If there would be a S36 and S37 to Klagenfurt the benefit of that route, especially for heavy trucks, would be that the route is much more flat. And it would be about 10 km shorter, so in times of truck tolling you guess which route trucks will take.
atrida02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #2023
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There is not much truck traffic that would benefit from such a route anyway. Only 3.000 trucks pass the border at Arnoldstein, 2.300 drive near Völkermarkt and 3.300 drive near Sebersdorf. Only a portion of those traffic counts is truck traffic that would drive all the way from at least Klagenfurt to Wiener Neustadt. Maybe 1.000 trucks would switch to S6/S36/S37 in a worst-case scenario. Hardly worth mentioning on a motorway, but it is usually exaggerated in the media (the so-called "LKW-lawinen").
Old May 28th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #2024
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

Hitler was a hard worker but he had the wrong clothing for the job
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 05:48 AM   #2025
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

The Karawanken tunnel (A11) will get a second tube!

Facts
Construction time: until 2019
Costs: 235 millions €uro
(Austria pays 55% and Slovenia 45% proportionately to the tunnel length in each of the countries)

After completition, the second tube will be used by the traffic in BOTH directions while the old tube will be reconfigured as an evacuation tunnel.
However should the traffic increase very much in future there is the possibility to use both tubes.

Hier stehts drin aka Source

Northern (Austrian) entrance

Southern (Slovenian) portal
What Is Love?

Last edited by Deadeye Reloaded; June 5th, 2012 at 06:45 AM.
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #2026
bogdymol
bogdymod

Nice

And a video of the existing tunnel:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #2027
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8714

What a huge ******* waste of money. Disgrace.
Old June 5th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #2028
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's a bit old news. It's good news though, a very wise decision to do. This saves a lot of money later. A second tube was necessary anyway, either as a traffic tube or escape tube.
Old June 6th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #2029
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
What a huge ******* waste of money. Disgrace.
It will pay itself some day. There exist much more expensive projects which will bring back much less.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #2030
devo

Likes (Received): 41

This makes no sense. Maybe they save money on not doing upgrades in the original tube. Even here in Norway, the country without sense for infrastructure, we would use both tubes. Actually, that is the reason why we build two tubes in the 14 km Ryfast under sea project and the similar 25 km Rogfast project. They would've been built with one tube had it been up to the government. EU, however, says otherwise.

Btw, why does it look like you drive into an office building with some tunnels?
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #2031
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

^ So not all tunnel entrances are boring.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #2032
keber

Not quite. Both buildings house very powerful (and therefore big) ventilators, ventilation pipes and other electrical equipment. There is no ventilation duct in the middle of this tunnel as in some other tunnels of similar length.

And as a very important point of transit those tunnels have strong symbolical value and are therefore usually marked also architecturally. The same is valid also for Felbertauern tunnel. Katshcberg and Tauern tunnel on A10 have those buildings beside tunnel, because there is more space.

Felbertauerntunnel south portal:

Tauerntunnel north portal:
Old June 9th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #2033
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
And as a very important point of transit those tunnels have strong symbolical value and are therefore usually marked also architecturally.
I think it has more to do with their length, because all other tunnels on that route are equally important (like Ljubno or Šentvid on the Slovenian A2; I don't know about Austrian tunnels).
Old June 9th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #2034
keber

Of course, very long tunnels need very powerful ventilation, especially if there are two different climate zones (which is usual at long and high mountain ranges) and here they are, believe it or not (not quite alpine vs. jungle but still). At time of design it was decided that electrical and machine installations will be incorporated into portals therefore such construction was made and of course not to make some monolithic cube (like above example at Tauerntunnel) they made something more interesting on both sides. It was still something representative, like longest tunnel connecting West and East Europe (capitalism and communism) and other political fairy tales.
Old June 9th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #2035
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
It was still something representative, like longest tunnel connecting West and East Europe
The Austrian side lies east of the Slovenian side though.
Old June 10th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #2036
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

what about this border crossing, A south, SLO north

http://maps.google.si/maps?saddr=46....p=0&sz=15&z=12
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #2037
Verso
Islander

^ Not only south, it's southeast.
Old June 10th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #2038
devo

Likes (Received): 41

Well, here I give you the longest road tunnel in the world. Could be any road tunnel in Norway. Other motorway-tunnels are similar of design, and nothing implies that the 25 km undersea Rogfast motorway tunnel would have any different entrance.

So at least here in Norway we don't make masterpieces out of tunnel entrances just because of importance.

http://goo.gl/maps/mQAB
devo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #2039
Verso
Islander

Are you trying to say it's a bad thing to make an interesting-looking tunnel entrance? Because most people would probably disagree.
Old June 10th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #2040
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
The Austrian side lies east of the Slovenian side though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
what about this border crossing, A south, SLO north

http://maps.google.si/maps?saddr=46....p=0&sz=15&z=12
I like both of them! I remember that once, looking at my Italian road map, I found the Cerignola East exit is located slighty West of the Cerignola West one . And of course, North of that.

PS: How about this border crossing? Austria to the North, Germany to the South.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria