daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 11th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #2061
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
you really think it makes sense to do the rettungsgasse over and over again every morning and afternoon f.e. on A7 in Linz, A14 before pfändertunnel A22, A23, A2, A4 in vienna when there is only a simple little congestion??? i dont think so.
Again. You can't tell what's the reason for the congestion. Could be a horrible accident or too much traffic.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #2062
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
No, they are not familiar with it at all. It might be law there, but nobody does it. Sitting in traffic in Germany is like a hobby of mine, and I only saw a Rettungsgasse being formed once, on the A3 at Würzburg, due to roadworks on the shoulder. I have never been stuck in traffic in Slovenia, have been at all other countries, and never saw a Rettungsgasse there. Poor attempts on the A12 Inntal Autobahn is the closest thing I saw... In any case, Austrians like to do things a little different, because it is silly and a waste of time and money. Congestion is very little in Austria, and mostly volume of traffic related. It should take a look at how countries where real congestions are and how they tackle the problem, and spend some money in changing road signs.
And you're just denying a scientific fact (rescue forces are about 4 minutes faster at the accident site) by calling the act silly. Pretty unreflective.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #2063
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

How the **** can you call it a fact, when the majority of motorists in Austria stuck in traffic (foreigners) are not even aware about this ridiculous Rettungsgasse scheme, blocking the path from emergency services anyway, when they can be 10 times quicker using the hard shoulder, like in any other civilized country... That is no scientific fact, there is no scientific fact, because even the ASFINAG is admitting that the scheme is not really working as much as they wanted it to work.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #2064
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

It's only as reliable as the weakest link.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #2065
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
BTW: Rettungsgasse is used in Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Czech Republic and Slovenia. So most countries surrounding Austria are already familiar with it.
We don't use shoulders though, just driving lanes (you move to the side).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #2066
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11829

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Again. You can't tell what's the reason for the congestion. Could be a horrible accident or too much traffic.
how about telling the motorists if its an accident or a jam on a good old electronic motorway sign? you got plenty of them in highly populated areas, and still way enough on outlying sections to inform us what happened...

but wait a second, actually this is what happens every day here in vienna: you got at least 4 big signs on every motorway, after nearly every intersection, every morning which reads either STAU or UNFALL. and still, if you dont want to brake the law you have to move to the side even when the signs show big and clearly: STAU. so, where in gods name is the sense in this?

even a rettungsgasse between the outer lane and the actual hard shoulder would make more sense than this -but again, only when there was an accident.

Last edited by JackFrost; June 11th, 2012 at 10:39 PM.
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #2067
thun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
We don't use shoulders though, just driving lanes (you move to the side).
Neither do you in Germany or Austria (at least according to the law). The hard shoulder is strictly reserved for broken vehicles in a jam, too.
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:26 PM   #2068
Road_UK
BANNED

In the Austrian Rettungsgasse scheme, motorists are required to straddle the hard shoulder.

Old June 13th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #2069
geor

Likes (Received): 16

Does anyone know, what is procedure if there is long vehicle broken down on hard shoulder, or two? How do they move to the right in that situation?
What is procedure if your vehicle has broken down on one traffic lane in front of a tunnel?

Last edited by geor; June 13th, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
geor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #2070
Road_UK
BANNED

1: By merging, and it would complicate things even more.

2: Rescue would probably have to come from the other side, and the people behind you will be very annoyed.
Old June 14th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #2071
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by geor View Post
Does anyone know, what is procedure if there is long vehicle broken down on hard shoulder, or two? How do they move to the right in that situation?
It happened to me in Germany, during a crazy snowstorm, on A8 München-Rosenheim. A truck couldn't climb a modest ascent in the motorway, slipped an crashed onto the shoulder. Behind it we queued for an hour and the Rettungsgasse formed, I had no idea but just followed others.

The truck was across the motorway, from shoulder to lane two, so only lane three was opened. Those who moved to the shoulder for the Rettungsgasse had to move back to the third lane in order to pass, adding mahyem to mahyem. It seemed absurd to me then, and it still does.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #2072
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A14 Pfändertunnel

The second tube of the Pfänder Tunnel near Bregenz was inaugurated today. Traffic will flow through the new tube tonight. The new tube is 6.6 kilometers long and cost € 205 million. Full capacity will be available in 2013, when the old tube finishes its renovation.

Specs:

* Length = 6.774,4 m
* TBM = 6.585,9 m
* Gallery = 158,5 m
* Moved earth and rock: 790.000 m³.
Old June 25th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #2073
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

About time!!!
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #2074
F81

Likes (Received): 43

I wonder why there is no direct interchange (with customs) between Austrian A14 and Swiss A13...

It would be just a few km of plain land and one bridge...
F81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #2075
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Because environmentalist have found that this part is probably environmentally richest part of the world dwarfing Serengeti and Kruger national parks in Africa as incomparable.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #2076
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Official reason: environment. Real reason? Incapable politicians unknown with the concept of "mitigation".
Old June 25th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #2077
Road_UK
BANNED

I cross the border there regularly and switch motorways, it never really bothered me. It's always relatively quiet at that border.
Old June 25th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #2078
thun

There are, however, peak days when you can easily loose 2 hours between the Swiss and the German border (going through Bregenz though).
Old June 25th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #2079
Road_UK
BANNED

Why would you want to go through Bregenz? When I am coming from the Chur side I go through Liechtenstein at times. It's a nice change of pace. When I'm going towards St Gallen, I use Hohehems. It's only a few minutes from motorway to motorway.
Old June 25th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #2080
cougar1989

Likes (Received): 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by thun
There are, however, peak days when you can easily loose 2 hours between the Swiss and the German border (going through Bregenz though).
Some people do not pay for the vignette (toll sticker) and save the money for them. Until Hohenems they can have the Korridorvignette for 2€ (one direction) or for 4€ (both directions). I do not unterstand it . The Korridorvignette is 24h valid.
http://www.asfinag.at/c/document_lib...&groupId=10136
Last year when I come from the Pfänder there was a traffic jam at Bregenz. I lost 15min time.
cougar1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria