daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #2481
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx
I would like to see better surface on the A4, especially towards Hungary.
It's not one of the best I've seen in Austria.
That is also the only thing I'd change. Partly it's horrible.

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #2482
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11831

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
I don't see much problem in A4, more in A4-A23 interchange, which was not designed for such high traffic. Widening of A4 without appropriate (and very costly) reconstruction of that interchange probably won't have much influence.
what about A22/A23 interchange (the infamous knoten kaisermühlen). that is a serious bottleneck, making that interchange -especially in rush hours- nearly impossible to use. any plans to re-design it in near future?
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 05:32 PM   #2483
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Coming from Salzburg I always use A1 and go around VIENNA (for Wien is Vienna in English) using A21, S1 and A4 towards Slovakia and Hungary. Never had any problems. Perhaps a slight hold up at the tunnels, but that's it.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #2484
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle
The widening of A2 south of Wien (Vienna) has been completed between Baden and Kottingbrunn. The motorway has been widened to 2x4 lanes, and the 8-lane section now extends 8 kilometers further south to Kottingbrunn. It is the widest motorway of Austria and serves an urbanized corridor between Wien and Wiener Neustadt. This section carries approximately 100.000 vehicles per day.
When was it completed? I drove there less than a month ago and I remember that roughly 20km south of Vienna where already 4x2.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #2485
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Coming from Salzburg I always use A1 and go around VIENNA (for Wien is Vienna in English) using A21, S1 and A4 towards Slovakia and Hungary. Never had any problems. Perhaps a slight hold up at the tunnels, but that's it.
People must ask you for the best route from Wien to Magyarország all the time. ;-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #2486
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
When was it completed? I drove there less than a month ago and I remember that roughly 20km south of Vienna where already 4x2.
Tomorrow.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 03:35 PM   #2487
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Of course I, too, use this way. But it seems that especially the daily commuter traffic has some issues insde the S1, and using the ring road you totally avoid that part.
I remember clearly, it was not so long time ago when S1 did not exist and we used A4-A23-A21 from Hungary to Germany. There was really heavy traffic there inside the city, the local and transit traffic used the same road. Is it possible that A23 had 2×4 narrow lanes all through the city then?
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #2488
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

This morning, I drove from Bratislava to Vienna. I timed the 39 kilometers of the A4 (from the A6 junction). With speed limits of 130 kph most of the way and 100 kph for several kilometers, the trip should be about 20 minutes. I needed 38 minutes (with a fast car). Almost all the congestion was after Fischamend (about two kilometers outside the airport). In some places, it was stop-and-go.

I agree that completion of the S1 will help, though I don't have the data needed to estimate how much it will help.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #2489
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11831

well, especially on fridays and monday mornings -when the gastarbeiters come and go- there is heavy congestion on A4 between S1-A6, and its not possible to drive faster than 100km/h...
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 01:26 AM   #2490
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

I will be driving the whole A10 in Salzburg-Villach on 01.11 and back on 04.11.

Someone suggested me at least in on of the 2 occasions to skip the Tauern and Katschberg tunnels and drive the passes Katschberg and Obertauern. It whould be more scenic and also free of charge.

I'm wondering about time loss and if the passes are opened this time of the year and if they are not covered in snow.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 04:34 AM   #2491
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

It could easily be that both passes are covered in snow as winter just kicked in here in Austria, yes. Without winter tires an absolute no-go. As for the time. I'd say you lose one hour.
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:31 AM   #2492
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I have winter tires, but as the man said when I went to put them on, they are at the limit of the 4cm, maybe slightly under, so last season for them. Daylight is also short now, so I will continue towards Bled and Ljubljana on the motorway, and drive the pass another time, in summer.
Thanks!
Old October 30th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #2493
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Weather prognosis for Katschberg in next days is:
http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-fr...rognose/9-tage

Be aware that even A10 motorway reaches over 1300 m asl and is prone to snowfall this prolonged weekend.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #2494
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Weather prognosis for Katschberg in next days is:
http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-fr...rognose/9-tage

Be aware that even A10 motorway reaches over 1300 m asl and is prone to snowfall this prolonged weekend.
But I'm guessing it should still be easier and safer to drive.
I'm not very experienced with driving on snowy roads, only in the city, not in the mountains.

I don't have any snow chains, don't even know how to use them.
Old October 30th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #2495
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Of course it is. ASFINAG has lots of snowplows stationed in this area to keep the A 10 free from snow.

If you're inexperienced driving in snow you better skip the very steep Katschberg pass.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #2496
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

that is what's good in Austria, you will see snowplows as soon it starts snowing. the worst you can get is that:

image hosted on flickr

07.02.2012 015 par d.hofburg, sur Flickr

(but it was -12C)
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 09:48 PM   #2497
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Actually it can be a lot worse. Last winter on the A12 there was no keeping up on clearing the roads.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #2498
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Last winter was madness.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #2499
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
that is what's good in Austria, you will see snowplows as soon it starts snowing. the worst you can get is that:
I remember once when even after more than 6 hours of snowing in the middle of the working day there was no snowplow on A11, which had almost 20 cm of snow and it was very difficult to drive even with new snowtires.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #2500
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I was just being lucky all the time then.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria