daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 31st, 2013, 01:56 AM   #2601
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

that's dissapointing. so far austrian police stopped me once, and they even asked for id card in slovene language. I guess it depends.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:55 AM   #2602
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8711

It's one thing being stopped by the police and another by ASFINAG. Those guys are just there to check Vignettes and nothing else and I suppose they get bonuses based on how many people they catch. If it was really the A22 you found yourself suddenly onto, I have no mercy with you, since the A22 is already too far from the boarder to come up with the excuse I couldn't find a gas station.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:09 AM   #2603
jachcemjest

Likes (Received): 1

It depends on time of the day. For example, when I was driving from Prague to Salzburg in the night (B310, A7, A1) - I was in Austria around 2am - there was no gas station opened where you could buy a vignette. Only few automatic ones. The sign on the border says taht vignette vending point is Agip station in Freistadt - there is no Agip today there. Other stations are closed mostly from midnight to 5am. So the first station where you can buy a vignette on that rout is Ansfelden (or something like that) on A1.
jachcemjest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 01:03 PM   #2604
Falusi
hanzi13

Likes (Received): 192

Southern sector of S1:

Highways clinched by me
A AND BIH C CH CZ D E F FL GR H HKJ HR I MC MK RO PL SK SLO SRB T UAE
doing MSc in Mechanical Engineering

Verso liked this post
Falusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:00 PM   #2605
vladjack

Likes (Received): 3

Thanks for answers. Everything happened at the Raststation at the junction of S3 and A22. I can't remember the name. So I drove about 20km on the Schnelstrasse S3 before stopping to buy a vignette. But the main point is they captured me at the Cash desk, where I was buying a vignette. They kept repeating: "We know that's unfair, but that's the law."
Back home, a friend told me they probably have quota system given by ASFINAG. If that is the case, I can understand their motivation better, but then I can call it "an instititional trap".
vladjack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:06 PM   #2606
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18300

Had you driven further, or maybe stopped at a gas station in a village, the chance of no fine would have been maybe smaller
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:50 PM   #2607
vladjack

cinxxx,
yes, if you just drive without vignette through Austria, the chance of being caught is very low. They almost never stop you. Instead, it seems they mostly catch people who stop to buy the vignette. And they mostly do that at the stops near the border.
Old January 31st, 2013, 03:09 PM   #2608
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I know, i drove last year all the way from Linz on the A7 until A1 without the sticker. I stopped in Linz at a gas station before the motorway entry, but they only had for 2 months and I wanted for 10 days. Also had no GPS, so I drove without. After reaching the A1, I took the first exit, and there was a gas station on the connecting road, must have been this route http://goo.gl/maps/VzB2T

No one stopped me, and didn't receive anything in my mailbox
Old January 31st, 2013, 03:19 PM   #2609
pumpikatze
Pichichi de la liga

Likes (Received): 637

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladjack View Post
Hi,
I would like to hear your opinion on this unplesant incident I had in Austria recently.
I am sorry you had such an unpleasant incident in Austria. I also fully understand your disappointment and anger....I made the same experience simply by making a formal mistake with the vignette and I was forced to pay. It is a long story....too long to tell. I asked the Automobile Club and some lawyers about that, and all I was told is that the ASFINAG is totally right by law and so it is in your case. I am sorry again for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fane40 View Post
I'm not surprised by your point of view.
I always heard that the austrian police, and in general their population, are the most racist in the world (not against german of course).
My friend, that´s an absolutely stupid comment (sorry for offending you but this time I cant hold back).
Who told you the ASFINAG (or "police") made him pay just because he isn´t Austrian? I can tell you for sure they dont make any difference - I am Austrian myself and had a similar incident but even without driving one single kilometer on the highway (too long to tell the story). They wanted me to pay 120 Euros. I told them I wouldnt pay but write a statement to ASFINAG and explain my situation. They even suggested to do so. And finally I got 400 Euros to pay.
Also regarding your words "not against german of course": Germans (from Germany) are those people affected the most when it is about paying for not having a Vignette.

I can tell you that there is racism in Austria - the same racism like everywhere else in Europe or even in the world...and it´s a shame. But this case has nothing to do with racism. It is just about the ASFINAG being extremely strict and of course make everybody pay whenever they can.
Vienna, Vienna

Last edited by pumpikatze; January 31st, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
pumpikatze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:42 PM   #2610
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladjack View Post
Hi,
I would like to hear your opinion on this unplesant incident I had in Austria recently. I entered Austria from the direction of Czech town Znojmo. The area around the border was quite empty, so we didn't find the place to purchase the vignette. We went on into Austria and after a brief drive on normal road (not a highway), the highway A22 started. There was big vignette sign and the Raststation right after that.
So I stopped there with the single goal to purchase the vignette. I went to the Cash desk and as I was buying viignette, an uniformed man came and took me from there. Then they took me to their official car, where they demanded 120,00 EURO. I had no choice but to pay. They knew very well that I stopped just for the vignette and they agreed this is unfair, but they kept saying "That's the law."
We have been really upset and dissapointed. I have sent an official complaint to ASFINAG company and even Austrian embassy in Montenegro. They both provided kind answers they were sorry for the incovinience, but: "That's the law."
From my point of view, I keep thinking of this as official trap or fraud.
I can not understand their motivation to capture me at the Cash desk at the starting point of the highway, when they clearly understand that I stopped just for the vignette.
So, what do you think about this?
I would say that if the road where vignette is required starts at the border and continues the road that you are taking from the other side of the border, it should be made vignette free to the first place where you could buy a vignette. If a desired vignette was not available there, they should provide you with a proof of intent of buying a vignette and you should be free to go to the next nearest place on the same road where a vignette could be bought.

When such a road starts inlands, the situation is more complicated and basically you should have bought it before entering such a road.

That anyone is waiting for the people that stop to buy a vignette in order to have easy work is indeed uncivilized. The Asfinag should be busy watching the road traffic that ignores the rule, not punishing those that clearly intend to buy the vignette and respect the rule.

Thx for the experience I think it could help refus to talk with them untill I would buy the vignette and then I would show it to them and tell them to **** off.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 11:23 PM   #2611
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Thx for the experience I think it could help refus to talk with them untill I would buy the vignette and then I would show it to them and tell them to **** off.
Yeah, but I think you must have it on your windshield first
Old January 31st, 2013, 11:28 PM   #2612
Energy2003
überall zuhause

btw: it´s possible to buy the vignette even outside Austria:

http://www.asfinag.at/c/document_lib...&groupId=10136

btw: since we have the vignette since about 15 years the austrian state seems to think that nowadays everyone who drives around knows that !

1000 y.o. hometown? yes! Feldkirch

Österreich - nur ein kleines Land ... dafür eines der Besten
Energy2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:22 AM   #2613
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

of course it is.
Last time I bought it with the Slovenian too, somewhere from a gas station on the A9 near Munich
Old February 1st, 2013, 08:30 AM   #2614
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy2003 View Post
btw: it´s possible to buy the vignette even outside Austria:

http://www.asfinag.at/c/document_lib...&groupId=10136

btw: since we have the vignette since about 15 years the austrian state seems to think that nowadays everyone who drives around knows that !
Yeah, I don't know about the Czech Republic but here in Germany you can buy your vignette at gas stations 200 km before you get to the border and it's also announced by big signs that they sell the things 24/7.
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:02 AM   #2615
jachcemjest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlsturm View Post
Yeah, I don't know about the Czech Republic but here in Germany you can buy your vignette at gas stations 200 km before you get to the border and it's also announced by big signs that they sell the things 24/7.
You can buy it in Czech republic, too. But usually they charge 50% more...
Old February 1st, 2013, 11:56 AM   #2616
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachcemjest View Post
They do ?
In Germany they have to sell it at the price the Austrians set.
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 12:23 PM   #2617
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachcemjest View Post
I don't think this is legal, strictly speaking.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:04 PM   #2618
jachcemjest

Exchange rate magic... Not uncommon to have Euro for 30-35 CZK. Standard rate is something like 25 or 26. Last time I bought one in Czech republic was in 2011, official price 7.9EUR, price on that Agip station: 269CZK what was ca 10.8EUR back then...
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:22 PM   #2619
vladjack

Thanks for your answers. I liked the post of pumpikatze.
After rethining the incident, I think I made a small mistake of giving too many credits to Austria. I visited Austria 6-7 times before and had an impression of prosperous, well-organized country that is fair towards its own citizens and tourists. In particluar, I thought police wouldn't stop you without need, they wouldn't fine you for some stupid formalities, etc.

This time I had a chance to experience another side of the country. I think what they done is dusguisting, the most unfair fine I have ever paid (and I drove all over Central and Eastern Europe, Balkans, Russia, Tunisia, Korea, etc.).

It would look better to me if they would just demand a bribe to let me go, without any laws etc. I hate when people do obviously wrong things in the name of law.

Obviously, these officers could have waitted until I finish the transaction at the Cash desk. If I wouldn't buy a vignette there, it would be completely ok to fine me before leaving Raststation. But they knew I stopped for the vignette, so they were running after me and grabed my hand.
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:53 PM   #2620
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8711

How did they know that? All they knew is that you had no Vignette on your windshield 50 km from the border. You could have just bought the sticker because you saw them checking your car in their Asfinag vests. They don't know that.

Tags
austria