daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #2721
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
A question rising from the autobahn-hotels: if one spends a night in such hotel, and the vignette expires during that night, is it ok if a new one is bought in the morning before driving away?

If not: is it possible to buy the vignette in the evening but mark it so that the validity begins the next day: and so there would be two vignettes in the car during that night?
1. No, it is not. Vignettes expire at 2400 hrs of the last day of validity.

2. Yes, it is. You can have your 10 day or 2 month vignette punched on any desired day (in this case, the next one).

Some additional info to the Asfinag toll enforcement "officers": while they are paid out of the Asfinag budget, they are accredited as law enforcement officers (constrained to toll violations) and sworn in by the state authorities. Thus, they have the authority to use "reasonable force" to execute the responsibilities of public administration designated to them.

For the background, you have to keep in mind that in contrast to Italy or France where toll motorways are truly private, Asfinag is merely a company set up by the Republic of Austria to facilitate financing, maintenance, and tolling of the highway system and the republic holds all shares of the company. Thus, tolls are also not set up by Asfinag itself, but by the Austrian parliament through decrees according to the Bundesstraßen-Mautgesetz 2002 (federal highway toll law of 2002) - therefore, the control and fining of toll violations is indeed an act of public administration and Asfinag enforcement officers are executive officers according to Austrian law.

The problem with these officers - as I have had contact with them - is that they often seem to be people who try to compensate some other shortcomings with their badge, not dissimilar to the TSA security agents on US airports. If vladjack had come across a police officer, he most likely would have gotten off - but with the Asfinag guys, no chance.

However, vladjack, you have driven quite some distance within Austria, and even quite some distance on the tolled network (keep in mind, S3 as a federal expressway is also tolled!). So while it's of course always a damned experience, you should now simply curse yourself for forgetting to buy a vignette, write off the 120 Euro as a lesson learned, and go on with your life .

Verso, Stahlsturm, panda80 liked this post

Last edited by rower2000; February 4th, 2013 at 09:15 PM.
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #2722
rower2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpikatze View Post
BUT: Only 3 vignettes at the same time on your windscreen - otherwise you will be fined (and be sure, you will be).
That's not true. While Asfinag recommends not to have more than 2 vignettes on at any time to facilitate the control, as soon as you paid the vignette and stuck it onto your windshield the toll is paid and you CANNOT BE FINED. They even say so themselves in a press message from Jan 22nd:
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.asfinag.at
Als Ammenmärchen gilt, dass es strafbar wäre, wenn mehr als zwei österreichische Pickerln gleichzeitig auf der Windschutzscheibe kleben. Es gibt aber die ASFINAG Empfehlung, dass auf der Windschutzscheibe nicht mehr als zwei österreichische Vignetten gleichzeitig vorhanden sein sollten, da aufgrund der Übersichtlichkeit im Fall des Falles eine Mautkontrolle schneller abgewickelt werden kann – dies ist durchaus auch im Sinne der Kunden.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Translation
It is an urban legend that it is illegal to have more than two Austrian stickers on the windscreen at the same time. However, there is a recommendation by ASFINAG that you should keep the number of Austrian vignettes on the windscreen below three, as in this case because of the higher clarity a toll control can be accomplished faster - which is also in favor of the clients.
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #2723
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

It wasn't surel, but you're right.
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #2724
rower2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
It wasn't surel, but you're right.
Thanks, fixed it!
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #2725
pumpikatze
Pichichi de la liga

Likes (Received): 637

Quote:
Originally Posted by rower2000 View Post
That's not true. While Asfinag recommends not to have more than 2 vignettes on at any time to facilitate the control, as soon as you paid the vignette and stuck it onto your windshield the toll is paid and you CANNOT BE FINED. They even say so themselves in a press message from Jan 22nd:
Ok, thank you - didnt know that. Last year I read in some newspaper about a woman who got fined because her parking car was found with more than 3 vignettes in the city (not even close to an autobahn). Must have been a fairy tale then.

Quote:
..aufgrund der Übersichtlichkeit im Fall des Falles einer Mautkontrolle...
Now thats what I call a joke. As if it would be too difficult for the officers to have a quick look at 3 vignettes and find out which one is valid or if there is one that is valid.
Vienna, Vienna
pumpikatze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #2726
Energy2003
überall zuhause

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
One question (asked in both Hungarian and Austrian threads):

At the end of this month I'm going to drive from Romania to Austria (for skiing ). This will not be a problem, but: my girlfriend just got her drivers license last week and I want to let her drive part of the road so that she gains some experience. Are there any special regulations regarding beginner drivers in your country? Can she drive legally, without any problems?

For example, in Romania the only thing is that beginner drivers have to drive -10 km below the speed limit on rural roads (-20 km/h on motorways).
there are some insurance things:

when you borrow a car or use an austrian car with Vollkasko/ comprehensive coverage there are some restrictiosn regarding the age.

But except the alcohol there aren´t any restrictions on the road itself

1000 y.o. hometown? yes! Feldkirch

Österreich - nur ein kleines Land ... dafür eines der Besten
Energy2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #2727
Energy2003
überall zuhause

Quote:

for example in switzerland it´s not allowed - the cops told it to me, they wanted to fine me (but im so symphatic that they didn´t)

1000 y.o. hometown? yes! Feldkirch

Österreich - nur ein kleines Land ... dafür eines der Besten

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Energy2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2013, 02:33 AM   #2728
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

uh, I have 4 vignettes on my windshield too lazy to take them off.

hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #2729
vladjack

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
However, vladjack, you have driven quite some distance within Austria, and even quite some distance on the tolled network (keep in mind, S3 as a federal expressway is also tolled!). So while it's of course always a damned experience, you should now simply curse yourself for forgetting to buy a vignette, write off the 120 Euro as a lesson learned, and go on with your life .
Thanks, yes, I agree.
I think I was too relaxed.
For couple of days I was so furious that I classified that as "a fraud". After this discussion I don't think it was "a fraud".
Still, I think it was unfair and wrong.

I think I have also made one smart thing: I didn't argue with them too much. I was polite and after brief conversation I paid 120,00 EURO and left. This is not very much like me, since I was furious, but the reason was that I was with my family. If I would be alone, I would probably refuse to pay and was ready to be retained, taken to Vienna police or something. However, I knew if I do that, then my kids will stay with mom on the middle of highway in the night. That was the only reason I was quite sustained.

If I would object and refuse to pay, it would probably get more expenisve (in money, energy and time) for me.
vladjack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #2730
Fane40
Landes-40-SW of F.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladjack View Post
Thanks, yes, I agree.
I think I was too relaxed.
For couple of days I was so furious that I classified that as "a fraud". After this discussion I don't think it was "a fraud".
Still, I think it was unfair and wrong.

I think I have also made one smart thing: I didn't argue with them too much. I was polite and after brief conversation I paid 120,00 EURO and left. This is not very much like me, since I was furious, but the reason was that I was with my family. If I would be alone, I would probably refuse to pay and was ready to be retained, taken to Vienna police or something. However, I knew if I do that, then my kids will stay with mom on the middle of highway in the night. That was the only reason I was quite sustained.

If I would object and refuse to pay, it would probably get more expenisve (in money, energy and time) for me.

I am with you guy !
But , we don't have the same point of view with some local people.
I agree they can tell they have had similar bad experiences in our countries.
But, when you go in this country ,you must obey. Apologizes don't exist for foreigners here.
Fane40 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 08:46 PM   #2731
rower2000

Please don't get me wrong, I quite agree that those Asfinag people should switch on their common sense from time to time. Unfortunately they don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladjack View Post
it would probably get more expenisve (in money, energy and time) for me.
That's for sure . If you refuse to pay the 120 EUR "Ersatzmaut" (substitute toll), violation citation proceedings will be initiated and a fine of 400 to 4000 EUR, depending on the severity of the violation, will be imposed by the authorities. Against this you can go to court but I'm not sure that would be useful...
BTW, from foreigners, the police can demand securities amounting to the maximum possible fine, in this case 4000 EUR, to ensure you do not leave the country to places where the payment cannot be enforced (a so-called "Sicherheitsleistung"). Of course, any amount exceeding the final fine will be refunded.
Old February 9th, 2013, 08:52 PM   #2732
pumpikatze
Pichichi de la liga

Likes (Received): 637

Well done, Vladjack. Even if it is unfair it was the right decision to pay. Anything else would cost you more money and in the end some days of your life. I totally agree with you since we suffered the same injustice.

Fane is still into that racism-thing
Someone who is willing to keep his prejudices, doesnt matter which arguments you come up with.
Vienna, Vienna

Last edited by pumpikatze; February 9th, 2013 at 09:50 PM.
pumpikatze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #2733
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

Hello! One question (that I asked also on the other 2 threads), what is the best way to reach the Tripoint between Slovakia, Austria and Hungary? I will be driving from Hungary. Can you drive till there, is there a parking?

Thanks!
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #2734
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

A4 on the section VIE - Fischamend will be extended to 3 lanes each direction. Construction is scheduled to start next year.

http://www.asfinag.at/strassennetz/n...B9_version=1.0

In the meantime the section further east (Fischamend - Bruck an der Leitha) gets a new surface and some "green bridges" to enable wild life crossings.

http://burgenland.orf.at/news/stories/2571919/

KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2735
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
In the meantime the section further east (Fischamend - Bruck an der Leitha) gets a new surface and some "green bridges" to enable wild life crossings.

http://burgenland.orf.at/news/stories/2571919/
There are already constructed some "green bridges" on that stretch of motorway (although they look quite old), but a new surface is welcome. The existing one starts to show it's age.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #2736
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Jep, especially after Vienna it gets really bad, if I remember correct.
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #2737
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

A third lane on the A4 is much needed. There is often a line of lorries stretching for more than a kilometer, with a lorry in the fast lane blocking all the traffic. Eventually, a third lane will be needed at least to the A6 and probably all the way to HU border.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #2738
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

You don't need 6 lanes for 20,000 AADT.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:16 PM   #2739
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
You don't need 6 lanes for 20,000 AADT.
According to Asfinag (see the link above), the current AADT is over 64,000 and is projected to exceed 93,000 by 2025.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 03:21 AM   #2740
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Between the airport and Fischamend yes, but it's just about 20k at the Hungarian border.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria