daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #2861
Nordic20T

Likes (Received): 55

Enjoy the existing driving videos from Austria, recording new ones could be very, very costly!
Nordic20T no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:00 PM   #2862
mpeculea

Likes (Received): 343

As I could understand, it concerns only cars that have installed video equipment that films permanently.

Quote:
Permanente Aufzeichnungen aus dem Auto ist Videoüberwachung
They say that permanent videotaping (this could require a rig to fasten the camera), is considered surveillance.
I do not think that Driving videos, with a camera held in the hands of the passenger could be considered surveillance.
Of course, I could be wrong.
mpeculea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #2863
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic20T View Post
Enjoy the existing driving videos from Austria, recording new ones could be very, very costly!
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #2864
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

WTF?? taking photos still ok?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #2865
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

Privacy obsession being raised to a whole new level...
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #2866
Nordic20T

Likes (Received): 55

Taking photos is IMHO OK, because it is not "permanent". But driving from Vienna to Linz on Westautobahn or driving over the Arlbergpass and record it isn't allowed anymore.
Google also has to blur licenseplates and faces on StreetView...

italystf liked this post
Nordic20T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #2867
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

this is stupid. If you don't want to show up in public stay at home all the time.

bogdymol, italystf liked this post
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #2868
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I can get 20,000 € for being filmed in Austria? Someone please do it.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:26 PM   #2869
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Yes, I agree. However, Austrian and German society don't agree. And unfortunately laws in these countries are based on their own societies' requests :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #2870
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I can get 20,000 € for being filmed in Austria? Someone please do it.
Of course not.
Old April 30th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #2871
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic20T View Post

Just few weeks ago I bought myself a video camera camouflaged in the interior mirror to record all my trips (you never know when such a recording could be useful).

Anyway, I am not worried and I will continue to record my trips (including in Austria, like I did before). The website where was posted the article doesn't look as a very reliable source.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #2872
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

http://wirtschaftsblatt.at/home/life...-Auto-verboten

This looks like a more reliable source though.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #2873
bogdymol
bogdymod

Ok, but it is for real? Was the law approved? Or there are just discussions*.

*discussions = crazy guy made his stupid ideea public and now the newspapers have subject to debate
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #2874
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

I think a such crazy law was made to prevent some criminals to record movement of vehicles (especially vans that carry money and other valuable things) and to rob them after have studied their habits. I guess that cops would use the common sense and not to punish someone who, for example fims the Glossglockner Hochalpenstrasse, since it has a clear touristic purpose, but it's more difficult to claim that a 4 hours video on the boring A2 between Villach and Vienna has some touristic interest.
If the passenger carry the cam\phone in his hands it should be fine because they may say that they were recording their conversations or filming the landscape from the side window (without filming the road) and probably cops won't spend time to see the whole recording.
Or maybe Austrian laws are very paranoid about privacy. This could explain why it's the only Western European country not covered by Street View.
In some countries they get angry if you take pics\vids in airports, railway stations or shopping malls because of potential "safety risks", and this is not so much different to record a road trip.
Unfortunately in Western countries there is an ongoing trend to improve "security" by restricting freedom of everybody: DON'T sleep on the beach, DON'T entry the park at night, DON'T buy alchool at night even if you don't drive, DON'T take pics because you may be a criminal, DON'T bring a bottle of water on the plane or at a football match, DON'T leave children walking unaccompained from home to school, DON'T camp on the forest even if you don't damage anything, DON'T park in the supermarket parking lot if you aren't a customer EVEN IF IT'S CLOSE, and so on...
Ironically, in other countries (most notably Russia) people are not only allowed, but even encouraged to film their road travels, to have a proof in case of accident.

Last edited by italystf; April 30th, 2013 at 10:20 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:12 AM   #2875
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Of course not.
What about this from the first link?
Quote:
Unerwünscht gefilmte Personen könnten noch dazu zivilrechtlichen Schadenersatz bis zu 20.000 Euro beanspruchen.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:18 AM   #2876
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8714

This figure is just beyond anything. You'll never get such compensation for being filmed against your will.
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:42 AM   #2877
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Then you can also ban filming at concerts, football matches, discos, restaurants, parties, monuments, squares, and everywhere outside private homes. Nonsense. When you're outside your home you accept that other people can see you and maybe photograph or film you. According to Italian law it's not even illegal to publish on the press\web\TV a pic or footage containing recognizable people recorded randomly in a public place. Let alone in amatorial vids not subjected to be broadcasted. Currently the only country where you cannot take pics\vids in public without authorization is North Korea.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 09:52 AM   #2878
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I think a such crazy law was made to prevent some criminals to record movement of vehicles (especially vans that carry money and other valuable things) and to rob them after have studied their habits.
It's like forbidding to eat food because someone may poison it
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:03 AM   #2879
mpeculea

Likes (Received): 343

I agree with @italystf. Handheld devices are not subject to this law, but permanently installed devices using rigs to hold them in place. Plus, I imagine, such devices have a power supply from the car battery.
So there are some conditions that have to be met, in order for the police to even consider fining you. As for private persons, who wish not to be filmed, this is valid only if there are concerns that the video will be broadcasted.
mpeculea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:03 AM   #2880
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I wonder if the European Court of human rights could overturn such a ban. I don't know about Austria, but in most, if not all European countries, people do have the right to film in public and in public places. Also a bit hypocritical of Austria, as here in Mayrhofen alone there are loads of webcams installed both in the village, as well as on the mountains. www.mayrhofen.at
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria