daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #2961
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

Some of us are not professional drivers, and after a day of work it's not that easy . Anyway, situation is on standby now, hopefully no drive necessary anymore.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #2962
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

The Pfandertunnel is almost ready to open as 2x2. In the last two weeks the road at the entrance and exit of the tunnel has been resurfaced and received its final road markings.

They also removed a large part of the former border / customs building including the bride / roof over the highway. All that is left are a building and parking on either side.

Another thing interesting for people traveling via the Pfandertunnel between Switzerland and Germany, the 'Korridorvignet' will disappear on 4th of July, so you can no longer drive between the German border and exit Hohenems for 2 Euro but probably have to buy a vignet for 10 days.

I'm not sure why they stop the korridorvignet or if there will be a replacement but I can imagine they like some extra toll income to pay for the tunnel.
Old June 16th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #2963
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21246

At least they could make a better scheme for buying the vignette. The current store is hideous, the parking a bit confusing and they have just 2 or 3 counters opened in Brengez.

D <=> CH connection ther is horrible. Maybe a deep bad-ass tunnel linking both countries under Brengez could be built :p

mcarling liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #2964
Energy2003
überall zuhause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
T

I'm not sure why they stop the korridorvignet or if there will be a replacement but I can imagine they like some extra toll income to pay for the tunnel.
they have to. Vorarlberg just got the Korridor-Vignette while the 2nd Pfändertunnel (+ Prepairing the old one) is under construction.

That was the deal

Of course a lot of people, specially the majors that are concerned would see it still for the future, but it don´t looks like this

1000 y.o. hometown? yes! Feldkirch

Österreich - nur ein kleines Land ... dafür eines der Besten
Energy2003 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #2965
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

The motorway A1 in Salzkammergut (Mondsee) - view from Schafbergspitze:

hofburg, panda80 liked this post
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #2966
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
A major issue for the Austrian network are the 1+1 sectors of S16. They should widen and rebuild it to be a full highway.
There are more urgent issues. AADT on the S16 is 10.000 vehicles per 24 hours. 1+1 can deal with that just fine. It is only an issue on about 6 Saturdays in the skiing season, but a traffic jam on 6 days a year hardly justifies an investment of several hundred millions of euros. The Austria - Switzerland link is a completely different story, that fell to the incompetence of our authorities to adhere to the planning rules such that the constitutional court overthrew the construction decree (lots of Vorarlbergians will shift the blame to the E.U. as it's much nicer to complain about the eurocrats than our own bureaucrats, however, the E.U. court held up the decree as the planning process started before Austria's entry into the Union and thus said E.U. law was not applicable to the S18 planning). Currently, both an Eastern bypass of Lustenau from L204 to St. Margrethen and a new tunnel under the Ried from Dornbirn-Nord (A14) with a link to St. Margrethen are being evaluated. Financing is reserved with Asfinag for the 2018 to 2025 timeframe, however, NIMBYs are already making noise.
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #2967
rower2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy2003 View Post
they have to. Vorarlberg just got the Korridor-Vignette while the 2nd Pfändertunnel (+ Prepairing the old one) is under construction.

That was the deal

Of course a lot of people, specially the majors that are concerned would see it still for the future, but it don´t looks like this
IMHO, the toll income will go down with the end of the Korridorvignette. I just can't see many people paying 8.50 EUR for that stretch. Additionally, it was reported that also the control moratorium between Kiefersfelden and Kufstein-Süd on A12 will cease with December 1st, 2013. So no motorway access to Kitzbühel any more!

I would propose a new solution such that no region feels put after another: for people who only want to drive a short stretch on Austria's motorways, a road pricing tariff of, let's say, 8.5 ct/km, could be introduced and collected via Go-Box (the truck tolling device). The infrastructure is already in place, and some additional income for Asfinag could be generated (hardly anybody driving less than 100 km of motorway in 10 days bought a vignette so far, so negligible losses IMHO).
Old June 25th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #2968
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

On the A12 there is still vignette - free travel between border and Kufstein - Süd. This exit is about 4km from the border and is used for the holiday areas of Kitzbuhel and St Johann. ASFINAG now suggests to make a vignette obligatory on that stretch as well, upsetting a lot of locals in Bavarian and Tyrolian villages in the border area, as no one with a right mind would pay for a vignette, when it's just as easy to exit at Kiefersfelden and cut across through Kufstein.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #2969
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Rettungsgasse at A9, just after Voralpenkreuz. it was my first time to see how it works. also, it was my first time to use those U-turns at A motorways. i am not sure is it legal, but it helps to easily get out of jam.
here is the one that i used.

hofburg liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #2970
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

What's the reason to build such U-turn ramps? Is it a section subjected to frequent closures for snow, roadworks,...

BTW, Austria should introduce a cheaper vignette that can be used for short distances (like no more than 20-30 km from the border). It would decrease traffic jams on some local roads (like around Bregenz or between Brenner and Innsbruck). They should also remove tolls on Europebrucke, Tauertunnel and Aalbergtunnel. Other countries with vignette don't toll tunnel and bridges separately.

Last edited by PLH; June 25th, 2013 at 03:42 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #2971
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
What's the reason to build such U-turn ramps? Is it a section subjected to frequent closures for snow, roadworks,...
I guess it is the border of two maintenance departments!? Then it will be used for snow clearing and other works.
MichiH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #2972
rower2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
They should also remove tolls on Europebrucke, Tauertunnel and Aalbergtunnel. Other countries with vignette don't toll tunnel and bridges separately.
If they did, the vignette would become 25 to 33% more expensive (they won't miss the 120M EUR annual revenue from those tolls). Also, e.g. in Switzerland many alpine passes do not have a road connection but only a train shuttle, which is much more expensive than the Sondermaut in Austria. Also, Gd St Bernard charges extra toll. Furthermore, if you really have to drive such a stretch very often, you can get a discounted yearly pass if you have a one-year vignette (55 EUR/year, 95 EUR/year without vignette, free if your daily commute goes through the stretch).
Old June 25th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #2973
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I guess it is the border of two maintenance departments!? Then it will be used for snow clearing and other works.
That is right. They are used by "Autobahnmeistereien" to get on and off Autobahns. It is definitely not legal to use them for u-turns.
Old June 25th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #2974
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
That is right. They are used by "Autobahnmeistereien" to get on and off Autobahns. It is definitely not legal to use them for u-turns.
i thought so. but i remember that somewhen there were the closed gate on those ramps, and nowadays I see them always open.
Old June 25th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #2975
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

In relation to the vignette, can anyone explain why Austria hasn't used the existing old border crossing infrastructure to sell vignettes? It always maddens me to have to stop at the border, get out and actually buy the thing - especially when many Austrian border crossings have the buildings intact. It would be trivial to set up a 'drive through' system in those borders - so why on earth not? It would certainly save a lot of time and hassle having to get out and queue up.

I believe Hungary has exactly that system set up near Nickelsdorf for traffic from Slovakia.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 11:00 PM   #2976
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
In relation to the vignette, can anyone explain why Austria hasn't used the existing old border crossing infrastructure to sell vignettes? It always maddens me to have to stop at the border, get out and actually buy the thing - especially when many Austrian border crossings have the buildings intact. It would be trivial to set up a 'drive through' system in those borders - so why on earth not? It would certainly save a lot of time and hassle having to get out and queue up.

I believe Hungary has exactly that system set up near Nickelsdorf for traffic from Slovakia.
You should purchase it at the last rest area before entering Austria.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #2977
bogdymol
bogdymod

Getting out of the car for buying the vignette is good for stretching
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #2978
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
In relation to the vignette, can anyone explain why Austria hasn't used the existing old border crossing infrastructure to sell vignettes?
European Union Regulation no. 562 of 2006 Article 22 requires the removal of all (or nearly all, depending on how the ECJ will interpret the Regulation) of the border crossing infrastructure at internal Schengen Area borders. The same article generally prohibits reduced speed limits at internal Schengen Area borders.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #2979
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
European Union Regulation no. 562 of 2006 Article 22 requires the removal of all (or nearly all, depending on how the ECJ will interpret the Regulation) of the border crossing infrastructure at internal Schengen Area borders. The same article generally prohibits reduced speed limits at internal Schengen Area borders.
Vignette could be sold the way the Korridorvignette was sold for years. Art 22 of the directive does not forbid that, as long as the general traffic flow is not affected.

However I don't think it is a necessity..
Old June 26th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #2980
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Neither do I. Plenty of petrol stations well within neighboring countries sell them.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria