daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 9th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #3281
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
In snowfall you often need snow chains because of steep hills. Truck traffic is forbidden on all passes and must detour over other motorways (Udine or Graz).
That's quite a big detour for trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Also, can you recommend a place where to fuel the car between Wels and Leoben?
If you don't want to refuel from a gas station directly from the motorway (it's usually a little more expensive), you can get off A9 at Liezen. On B320 in Liezen there are plenty of gas stations. I refilled there my LPG car (LPG is hard to find in Austria)

Check my youtube video of B320 to see how many gas stations are there (from 10:28). If your girlfriend is in a "shopping mood" you see from the video that there are quite some places in that area that you could try.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2013, 12:33 AM   #3282
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
That's quite a big detour for trucks...
Welcome to pre-1991 (although I think trucks were transported by train through the railway tunnel beside). Anyway, the tunnel is open again, but in one direction at a time.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #3283
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Welcome to pre-1991 (although I think trucks were transported by train through the railway tunnel beside). Anyway, the tunnel is open again, but in one direction at a time.
I guess traffic was much lower in those old days.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 04:15 AM   #3284
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Trucks transported through the Karawanken railway tunnel (I don't know about that) or overall truck traffic between Austria/Germany and Yugoslavia? I guess the latter was quite significant, but then again, there aren't so many trucks driving through the Karawanken road tunnel nowadays anyway (much less than on the Slovenian A1 in any case). The Yugoslav Wars and new borders actually reduced traffic a lot.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #3285
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
No, truck traffic was quite intense even then. Most transit traffic including trucks went over Loibl/Ljubelj pass.Through Tarvisio there was not much traffic to Yugoslavia because of very narrow streets of Tarvisio and also there was additional border crossing.

Traffic jams for Yugoslavia over Loiblpass often started already in Unterloibl and sometimes even in Klagenfurt. Few hours of waiting time were normal, sometimes even whole day. Mostly because heavy loaded trucks with weak engines had big difficulties negotiating extremely steep ascents and very tight corners of Loiblstrasse.

About alternative routes: geography of the Alps does not allow easy alternative routes in case of closures. Imagine having closed Brenner motorway because of some serious accident (happened about 17 years ago when a bridge collapsed near Kufstein). Nearby alternatives are not possible.
keber está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #3286
A11 LJUBLJANA
Frequent flyer

Likes (Received): 754

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
No, truck traffic was quite intense even then. Most transit traffic including trucks went over Loibl/Ljubelj pass.Through Tarvisio there was not much traffic to Yugoslavia because of very narrow streets of Tarvisio and also there was additional border crossing.

Traffic jams for Yugoslavia over Loiblpass often started already in Unterloibl and sometimes even in Klagenfurt. Few hours of waiting time were normal, sometimes even whole day. Mostly because heavy loaded trucks with weak engines had big difficulties negotiating extremely steep ascents and very tight corners of Loiblstrasse.

About alternative routes: geography of the Alps does not allow easy alternative routes in case of closures. Imagine having closed Brenner motorway because of some serious accident (happened about 17 years ago when a bridge collapsed near Kufstein). Nearby alternatives are not possible.
But now it's EU, so there are 2 alternative routes: about Tarvisio and E652

262 liked this post
A11 LJUBLJANA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #3287
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Just for smaller vehicles and buses, not for bigger trucks.
keber está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #3288
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

I drove via Wurzenpass in October, the road in Austria had pretty bad pavement, also the descents were pretty steep. Not the most comfortable ride for me...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #3289
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
I'm guessing you don't need chains for the A9 towards Maribor, right? I don't own any...
Also, can you recommend a place where to fuel the car between Wels and Leoben?

We plan on driving with the Fiat 500, that only has a 35L tank, so it will require more times fueling
As long as you have winter tires, you should be fine. I never encountered a snow chain requirement on Austrian motroways for cars. However, if there are "winterly road conditions", i.e., snow or ice on the road, you are required by law to use winter tires. Failure to do so will result in a fine between 35 EUR ("normal" fine) and up to 5.000 EUR if you significantly endanger other traffic.
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #3290
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

how are you going to get from Ingolstadt to Wels?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #3291
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18303

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
how are you going to get from Ingolstadt to Wels?
I guess it would be:
http://goo.gl/maps/A4gAC or http://goo.gl/maps/C3y22 or http://goo.gl/maps/0BKkf

I also have to see the weather prognosis and traffic situation.

I also went like this:
http://goo.gl/maps/awBK7 and http://goo.gl/maps/tK5Kx and http://goo.gl/maps/0g9ui
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 03:16 PM   #3292
carlsjul

Likes (Received): 1

Toll Station at St Michael im Lungau

Avoid to paying MAUT at Exit St Michael im Lundau?
Then run back, is it possible?
Openstreetmap shows that it is possible ......
http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/226...7.0940/13.6165

Where to pay ?

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/55114197

Last edited by carlsjul; December 22nd, 2013 at 09:36 AM. Reason: picture attack
carlsjul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2013, 03:22 PM   #3293
bogdymol
bogdymod

That's a good question... but if you look on Google Maps - satellite view, you can see that on the slip road connecting A10 to main road 96 there's a small toll plaza. So I don't think you can avoid paying the toll...
Old December 21st, 2013, 03:43 PM   #3294
rower2000

If you exit A10 at St. Michael, you will be charged 5 EUR on the ramp. The same is valid if you enter A10 there (you're only charged for the tunnel you passed/will pass if you use the St. Michael and Zederhaus junctions).
Old December 21st, 2013, 04:14 PM   #3295
bogdymol
bogdymod

Can you clarify it a little?
- if you enter/exit A10 at that interchange you have to pay € 5 (5 for entering, 5 for exiting)
- what's the toll on A10 toll gate if you just remain on the motorway?
Old December 21st, 2013, 05:06 PM   #3296
rower2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Can you clarify it a little?
- if you enter/exit A10 at that interchange you have to pay € 5 (5 for entering, 5 for exiting)
- what's the toll on A10 toll gate if you just remain on the motorway?
If you stay on the motorway you have to pay 10 €. So you gain/lose nothing if you stay on the motorway compared to leaving and then entering the motorway again. Anything else wouldn't make too much sense, would it ?
Old December 24th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #3297
greyhound72

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
It's the 1.4L 16v 100PS model. Top speed 186 km/h. No turbo, normal gasoline motor.
I drove it max little over 170 km/h.

From what I've seen on a trip from Regensburg to Ingolstadt, driving resonable 110-120 in 6th gear because of rain, average was around 6.8-7.0 L/100km
There are some OMV tankstelle before Graz... I don't remember if any before Leoben. This road is mostly great, but tunnels are 1-lane's ones.
greyhound72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #3298
PhirgataZFs1694

Likes (Received): 1560

Does Austria have plans to directly connect with a motorway Haag am Hausruck/Ried im Innkreis to german A94 near Braunau am Inn?
PhirgataZFs1694 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #3299
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

No.
MichiH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 10:09 PM   #3300
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

The electronic truck toll has been in use for 10 years now. Trucks had to pay the electronic tolls starting 1 January 2004.

In 10 years, the heavy vehicles drove over 30 billion toll kilometers and paid 6.2 billion toll transactions. The toll revenue was € 9.8 billion. All toll revenue flows to motorway & expressway operator Asfinag, who uses it to service bond debts and help pay for new projects.

75% of all toll revenue in Austria is paid by trucks, 25% by light vehicles. A similar trend can be observed in Slovakia. The truck toll for a modern euro 4/5 truck with 4 axles or more is € 0.39 per kilometer, which is the second-highest in Europe after Switzerland, which charges nearly double that.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria