daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2014, 04:49 PM   #3321
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasak View Post
Hi, I am coming from Slovenia to Villach through Karawanken tunnel. Is it possible to take the first exit after the tunnel (Sankt jakob in Rosental) and then use local roads to avoid paying Austrian vignette or I must have a vignette even for that small section between the tunnel and the first exit?
No, you don't need the vignette.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2014, 04:54 PM   #3322
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
No, you don't need the vignette.
According to what they say here, you need the vignette (only the southbound carriageway is vignette-free)

But maybe I understood it wrong

Last edited by g.spinoza; March 4th, 2014 at 05:07 PM.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 05:16 PM   #3323
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
According to what they say here, you need the vignette (only the southbound carriageway is vignette-free)

But maybe I understood it wrong
That must be error since you have to pay for the tunnel in both directions.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 05:24 PM   #3324
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
That must be error since you have to pay for the tunnel in both directions.
I was talking about the vignette. I understood that the ticket for the tunnel is due in both direction, but the vignette is needed only in the northbound carriageway...
I read the same thing in ACI (Italian Automobile Club) website...
Old March 4th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #3325
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I was talking about the vignette.
I know; what I meant was that since you have to pay extra for the tunnel in both directions, it doesn't make sense to need a vignette as well (for either direction).

g.spinoza liked this post
Old March 4th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #3326
bogdymol
bogdymod

Maybe some pictures will help. I shot them myself in 2011, while traveling from Ljubljana (Slovenia) to Villach (Austria).

Just before the Karawanken tunnel toll plaza there's a sign for Austrian vignette purchase from the parking lot:

At the Karawanken tunnel toll plaza, on the Slovenian side, you have this signs:

After the tunnel:

First exit after the tunnel:

If no vignette was needed I believe that together with this sign should have come another sign saying that you need vignette to keep driving on the motorway, but you don't need one if you exit here.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

g.spinoza, Luki_SL, Moravian liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #3327
Verso
Islander

Just negligent signage, if you ask me. I wouldn't be surprised, if it were the same on the Slovenian side. And those signs with vignettes just mean you can buy them there, since you can't buy them between the tunnel and the first exit. The two identical signs after the tunnel just tell you general information.
Old March 4th, 2014, 11:53 PM   #3328
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Quote:
Die Sondermautstrecke befindet sich zwischen der Anschlussstelle St. Jakob im Rosental und der Staatsgrenze im Karawankentunnel.
http://www.asfinag.at/maut/sonder-und-videomaut

According to ASFINAG Sondermaut (toll) is due on the Border - Exit St. Jabob stretch, meaning no Vignette is required till the first exit.
Old March 5th, 2014, 12:09 AM   #3329
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Well now I am totally confused. According to this map only one lane is considered Sondermaut and it's the south bound one. I sent ASFINAG an E-Mail and will let you guys know what's the deal as soon as I receive an answer.
Old March 5th, 2014, 03:40 AM   #3330
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Well now I am totally confused. According to this map only one lane is considered Sondermaut and it's the south bound one.
That's because going north you pay in Slovenia, not Austria. That's not a good-enough reason to require a vignette though. You don't need a Slovenian vignette until the first exit in either direction.
Old March 5th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #3331
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

You definitely do not need a vignette between the Karawankentunnel border and St. Jakob.

The Asfinag toll regulations say:
Quote:
Nachfolgende Autobahn- und Schnellstraßenabschnitte (Strecken) sind gemäß § 10 Abs. 2 BStMG von der Entrichtung einer zeitabhängigen Maut ausgenommen (siehe dazu Mautordnung Teil A II):
• A 9 Pyhrn Autobahn in den Abschnitten zwischen der Anschlussstelle Spital/Pyhrn und der Anschlussstelle Ardning und zwischen der Anschlussstelle St. Michael und Übelbach
• A 10 Tauern Autobahn im Abschnitt zwischen der Anschlussstelle Flachau und der Anschlussstelle Rennweg
• A 11 Karawanken Autobahn im Abschnitt zwischen der Anschlussstelle St. Jakob im Rosental und der Staatsgrenze im Karawankentunnel
• A 13 Brenner Autobahn
• S 16 Arlberg Schnellstraße im Abschnitt zwischen der Anschlussstelle St. Anton und der Anschlussstelle Langen
Translated:
The following motorway and expressway sections are exempt from the vignette requirement according to § 10 (2) of the Federal Highway Toll Act (cf toll regulations section A II):
• A 9 Pyhrn motorway between exits Spital/Pyhrn and Ardning as well as between exits St. Michael und Übelbach
• A 10 Tauern motorway between exits Flachau and Rennweg
• A 11 Karawanken Autobahn motorway between exit St. Jakob im Rosental and the border inside Karawankentunnel
• A 13 Brenner motorway
• S 16 Arlberg expressway between exits St. Anton and Langen
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #3332
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Sehr geehrter Herr xxxx,

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage.

Auf der A11 Karawanken Autobahn besteht im Abschnitt zwischen der Anschlussstelle St. Jakob im Rosenthal und der
Staatsgrenze im Karawankentunnel und umgekehrt keine Vignettenpflicht. Für diesen Bereich ist nur die Sondermaut in
Höhe von 7 Euro für die Einzelfahrt zu bezahlen.

Wir hoffen, Ihnen damit geholfen zu haben und verbleiben

mit freundlichen Grüßen

Christine Staubmann
Kundenmanagement
Backoffice
No Vignette needed anywhere between border and St. Jakob.

g.spinoza liked this post
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 06:08 PM   #3333
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

How many people would actually drive these routes while avoiding the vignette? It's hugely time-consuming to avoid the vignette-strecken.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #3334
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

^people whose destination is Villach
Quote:
Originally Posted by prasak View Post
Hi, I am coming from Slovenia to Villach through Karawanken tunnel.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2014, 11:12 PM   #3335
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
How many people would actually drive these routes while avoiding the vignette? It's hugely time-consuming to avoid the vignette-strecken.
It makes sense, if you're going to Villach or Velden am Wörthersee (tourist town). I did it once. In Slovenia it makes a lot of sense, if you're only going to Bled or Bohinj, especially since our vignettes are more expensive.

Last edited by Verso; March 5th, 2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old March 6th, 2014, 09:39 AM   #3336
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Going from Italy to Munich, in Austria I always drive B182 instead of A13 and B171 instead of A12, up to Zirl where I take B177/E533, so I spare Vignette and Sondermaut
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #3337
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

what is the time difference for that?
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 11:52 AM   #3338
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
what is the time difference for that?
Not much. Going via E533 instead of Inntal Autobahn is shorter, so time is more or less the same (München-Innsbruck). Crossing Innsbruck and driving B182 instead of A13 leads to delay, but apart from the very first km (up until Europa bridge) the rest of the road is quite fast. Brenner-Munich total delay can be half hour, maybe one hour if there's traffic.
Old March 6th, 2014, 12:05 PM   #3339
bogdymol
bogdymod

My personal opinion is that for Italy > Munchen route it's better to drive on A13 (Brenner Autobahn) and then take B177. This way you pay only the A13 toll, but you don't need the Austrian vignette.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #3340
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

You're right, but to me the A13 Sondermaut is outrageously expensive. Frequent users can get a discount by using videomaut, if I'm not mistaken.

Tags
austria