daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 14th, 2014, 12:58 AM   #3421
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

I really wish they wouldn't use those stupid ovals in such contexts. If it's really such a big problem to use names in the other country, then just put the name of the (old) border crossing and get it over and done with.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #3422
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
I really wish they wouldn't use those stupid ovals in such contexts. If it's really such a big problem to use names in the other country, then just put the name of the (old) border crossing and get it over and done with.
I completely disagree. In my opinion, the name of the towns on the former borders are the worst possible option.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 12:51 PM   #3423
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I completely disagree. In my opinion, the name of the towns on the former borders are the worst possible option.
It's not ideal, but it's better than those horrible ovals that say absolutely nothing. I'm looking at that picture now and I have absolutely no idea what part of SLO or I that I would arrive in - it's useless.
Old June 14th, 2014, 12:56 PM   #3424
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
It's not ideal, but it's better than those horrible ovals that say absolutely nothing. I'm looking at that picture now and I have absolutely no idea what part of SLO or I that I would arrive in - it's useless.
A tiny town I've never heard of and don't even know which country it's in is even less useful. At least I know where Slovenia is. Also, knowing which country I'm headed toward and the distance to the border may alert me to the need to buy a vignette.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #3425
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
You should know where you are, at least approximately. For Italy it's totally clear which part is meant. As for Slovenia: if you went to Maribor, you'd turn left, towards Klagenfurt, but not many people will do that, and the Karawanken Tunnel is much closer than Lavamünd, so you can dismiss it IMO. It sucks if you're going to Kranjska Gora though.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2014, 01:58 PM   #3426
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Here's something about the A14 Rheintalautobahn I read a couple of days ago:

There are some parts of this Autobahn, especially around Dornbirn Nord, where the Tarmac is already one thick layer of over 70 cm. That is because of the problematic geological situation there and the need to level the street's surface. Much of the Rhine Valley used to be a swamp. When the Autobahn was built, they foresaw the problem and prepared the ground with 7m of ballast. Apparently that wasn't enough, the Autobahn keeps sinking and now the deepest points of its base go 12 m below the ground!

That's pretty much why - if you ever drive from Germany via Austria to Switzerland - you will almost all the time encounter construction works between Bregenz and Dornbirn Nord.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2014, 01:58 PM   #3427
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

A5

http://noe.orf.at/news/stories/2653772/

Some citizens' initiatives complaint about a water right order and a nature conservancy order for the A5. The tender procedure is completed but the contracts will not be in force until the complaints are dismissed. The ASFINAG still wants to start construction in 2014 but delays are most likely. Total costs: 320 million €.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 05:35 PM   #3428
bogdymol
bogdymod

A4 Autobahn direction Wien, before Fischamend exit, right now:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

SRC_100 liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 07:15 PM   #3429
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Apparently Austrian drivers understood how Rettungsgasse works, but not why it is needed. Otherwise they wouldn't stand where rescue vehicles are likely to run at speed...

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia

Last edited by Coccodrillo; June 22nd, 2014 at 07:22 PM.
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2014, 07:32 PM   #3430
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

It's a straight road. You can hear and see emergency services from miles away....
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:21 PM   #3431
celevac

Likes (Received): 90

Austrian ASFINAG has announced new deadlines:

http://www.asfinag.at/newsroom?-7247...side-view-full

The most interesting parts of this press release:

- A5 Schrick-Poysbrunn will be built from the 2nd half of 2014 until 2017

- S7 Fürstenfeld expressway (will connect the A2 near Fürstenfeld, Styria with the Hungarian border at Heiligenkreuz) - western part (Riegersdorf-Dobersdorf) 2nd half of 2015 until 2019

Some more plans for the greater Vienna metropolitan area (S1 expressway)

Construction of A26 Linz bypass will start in the 2nd half of 2015, expected opening of the first section in 2018

However, all announced sections are awaiting approval - the environmental impact assessment is still pending. Therefore, I presume that delays are likely, especially for the S7...

SRC_100 liked this post
celevac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2014, 03:37 PM   #3432
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

S7 has been delayed several times over the past 5 years. Back in late 2009, it was planned to begin in 2010, then 2012, then 2014, and now second half of 2015...
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 03:37 AM   #3433
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Quote:
Asfinag investiert mehr in bestehende Straßen

30. Juni 2014

460 statt 320 Millionen Euro pro Jahr für Autobahnen und Schnellstraßen - Neue Lärmschutzverordnung in Begutachtung

Wien - Für die Erhaltung und Sanierung des bestehenden Autobahn- und Schnellstraßennetzes steht in den kommenden Jahren mehr Geld zur Verfügung. Das hat die Autobahngesellschaft Asfinag am Montag bei einer Pressekonferenz in Wien angekündigt. Gleichzeitig versprach das Verkehrsministerium klare Regelungen für den Schutz der Anrainer vor Lärm. Eine diesbezügliche Verordnung kam am Montag in Begutachtung.

[...]

Highway maintenance:
--->ASFINAG will invest 460 million €uro a year and not 320 million like previously planned

New construction projects:
--->ASFINAG hopes to get soon the green light for the Fürstenfelder Schnellstraße (S7), the S1 in Vienna between Schwechat and Süßenbrunn and for the A26 near Linz

Mühlviertler Schnellstraße (S10):
---> A planned tunnel on the new stretch won´t be built. It´s too expensive. ASFINAG hopes to find another solution.
What Is Love?

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 3rd, 2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: OT deleted
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 09:46 AM   #3434
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post

Highway maintenance:
--->ASFINAG will invest 460 million €uro a year and not 320 million like previously planned
This is not an increase above previous plannings for this year, but an increase above the average value over the last six years (see the original press release: http://www.asfinag.at/newsroom?-7294...side-view-full)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post
Mühlviertler Schnellstraße (S10):
---> A planned tunnel on the new stretch won´t be built. It´s too expensive. ASFINAG hopes to find another solution.
Do you know if this is simply the change from the originally planned tunnel under Reinbach to the Western bypass which was announced last fall? Would make sense to me, AFAIK there is no other long tunnel planned on the Northern section of S10.
http://www.nachrichten.at/oberoester...;art69,1250975
(original plan was "Variante Mitte", now changed to "Variante West" - which definitely makes sense IMHO!, but the NIMBYs are already out and shouting...)

Btw, your source link does not work. It's from the Standard newspaper:
http://***************/2000002481582...chnellstrassen

Edit: type "der Standard .at" without the spaces instead of the *s, no clue what the forum software has against the Standard...

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 12:12 PM   #3435
albiman

Likes (Received): 332

is there any plan to connect one day S31 (Eisenstadt) with A6 (Pandorf)?
albiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 03:33 PM   #3436
bogdymol
bogdymod

That would be a great ideea. A4 Parndorf-Wien is crowded every time I pass through that area. Thid connection should make things a little bit better.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2014, 04:44 PM   #3437
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
That would be a great ideea. A4 Parndorf-Wien is crowded every time I pass through that area. Thid connection should make things a little bit better.
That connection is not planned; however, Vienna -> Kn Bruckneudorf (A6) will be extended to 3+3. The relation Budapest/Bratislava -> Graz is negligible on that stretch of road, it's Vienna itself what generates the amount of traffic there.
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 09:15 PM   #3438
Deadeye Reloaded
Cold Ass Honkey

Likes (Received): 8965

Quote:
Originally Posted by rower2000 View Post
[...]

Do you know if this is simply the change from the originally planned tunnel under Reinbach to the Western bypass which was announced last fall? Would make sense to me, AFAIK there is no other long tunnel planned on the Northern section of S10.
http://www.nachrichten.at/oberoester...;art69,1250975
(original plan was "Variante Mitte", now changed to "Variante West" - which definitely makes sense IMHO!, but the NIMBYs are already out and shouting...)

Your guess is correct. They won´t construct the tunnel under Reinbach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rower2000 View Post
Btw, your source link does not work. It's from the Standard newspaper:
http://***************/2000002481582...chnellstrassen

Edit: type "der Standard .at" without the spaces instead of the *s, no clue what the forum software has against the Standard...

Yeah there seems to be a problem with the forum software when you use "der Standard" as source.
What Is Love?
Deadeye Reloaded no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #3439
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11828

just change the d to t in "standard" and the link will work

voilá: http://derstandart.at/2000002481582/...chnellstrassen

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
JackFrost está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2014, 09:54 PM   #3440
Eulanthe

Quote:
Originally Posted by celevac View Post
A5 Schrick-Poysbrunn will be built from the 2nd half of 2014 until 2017
I can only hope. It really will make a huge difference - I remember when coming from Zadar, this section felt incredibly dangerous. I had it planned quite well - first break at the SLO/HR border, second break near Weiner Neustadt, third break on the Czech D1 (with small 5 minute breaks along the way too) - and the missing link of the A5 really was difficult on such a long drive.

Tags
austria