daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 24th, 2014, 09:35 AM   #3701
thun

That one would proabably be way too South in order to light traffic on Bodenseestraße and the link at Lustenau (i.e. for Northbound traffic/traffic coming from Germany).

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #3702
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Isn't the quickest link at Hohenems-Diepoldsau? I always use that going in and out of Swiss because it only takes 5 minutes from motorway to motorway. (unless the Swiss guards are in a bad mood, they're still out there...)
In Northern Lustenau/Southern Höchst are some pretty important industrial areas creating quite some commuter traffic. The Z proposal would also provide for those needs.
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 02:02 PM   #3703
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Fair enough. It would serve the traffic between Innsbruck and St Gallen/Zürich well though...
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #3704
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Even if the distance between the Austrian A14 and the Swiss A13 is very short, it's weird that two prosperous European countries don't have any motorway link between them. Traffic through Lustenau must be very bad currently, since it is a real bottleneck.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 03:06 PM   #3705
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Isn't the quickest link at Hohenems-Diepoldsau? I always use that going in and out of Swiss because it only takes 5 minutes from motorway to motorway. (unless the Swiss guards are in a bad mood, they're still out there...)
The Swiss Guards? These guys? http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...SwissGuard.jpg

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 05:00 PM   #3706
rower2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Even if the distance between the Austrian A14 and the Swiss A13 is very short, it's weird that two prosperous European countries don't have any motorway link between them. Traffic through Lustenau must be very bad currently, since it is a real bottleneck.
It is. There was already an approved project about 15 years ago, but the responsible officials did not perform the administrative acts according to valid law, so the approval was overruled by the constitutional court. Now EU regulations are applicable and the overground connection planned earlier is not possible any more (Natura 2000), thus the delay.
Old November 24th, 2014, 05:01 PM   #3707
rower2000

Quote:
Fair enough. It would serve the traffic between Innsbruck and St Gallen/Zürich well though...
Don't forget that on most days of the year, the relation Munich <-> Zurich is by far the most important. That is also better served by a northerly connection.
Old November 24th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #3708
Nordic20T

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
No, these. http://static.news.skppsc.ch/1405065...agblatt-ch.jpg

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Nordic20T no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #3709
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11830

From this weekend on A4 has 3 lanes from Fischamend towards Vienna. Until the end of 2015 the whole motorway will be widened to 2x3 lanes between Fischamend and S1 interchange.

http://www.vienna.at/ausbau-der-a4-b...g-wien/4151040
Old November 25th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #3710
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11830

Yesterday I had the opportunity to test that piece of new road. I am not sure, but I think the inner lanes are nowhere near 3,75 meters. Has somebody taken a better look on it yet?
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #3711
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

I drove the A4 today between Fischamend and VIE airport. As of today, there are three nice newly paved lanes open in the direction toward Vienna. In the direction driving away from Vienna, there are two lanes open and (at least) repaving is required.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #3712
rower2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Frost View Post
Yesterday I had the opportunity to test that piece of new road. I am not sure, but I think the inner lanes are nowhere near 3,75 meters. Has somebody taken a better look on it yet?
IIRC, standard cross section in Austria is 3.75/3.50/3.50 m for three lanes per direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I drove the A4 today between Fischamend and VIE airport. As of today, there are three nice newly paved lanes open in the direction toward Vienna. In the direction driving away from Vienna, there are two lanes open and (at least) repaving is required.
Repaving and expansion to three lanes for the eastbound carriageway will happen April to November 2015. Repaving of the stretch Neusiedl -> border will start in 2015 and a three lane extension between Fischamend and Neusiedl in 2018. By 2020 Schwechat junction-Neusiedl should be six lanes and all of A4 should have had a total makeover.

Last edited by rower2000; November 26th, 2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: grammar fixed
Old November 25th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #3713
bogdymol
bogdymod

Thanks for the information. I will drive on A4 direction Budapest on Friday, and will test the other side with 3 lanes on Sunday.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #3714
Autoputevi kao hobi
srBska Kraljica

Likes (Received): 4063

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
You're right about that.
Autoputevi kao hobi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #3715
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

A9 Tunnelkette Klaus

The boring of the 2nd tube of "Tunnelkette Klaus" was started today. The construction of some bridges had already begun in September 2013. The new tube will be completed by late 2017. The existing tube will be renewed in 2018. Both tubes will be in service in late 2018, see press release.

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2014, 11:27 PM   #3716
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The boring of the 2nd tube of "Tunnelkette Klaus" was started today. The construction of some bridges had already begun in September 2013. The new tube will be completed by late 2017. The existing tube will be renewed in 2018. Both tubes will be in service in late 2018, see press release.
not correct (in details), there are 4 tunnels, short english description:

this 8kms are effective:
bridge - tunnel - bridge - tunnel - bridge - tunnel - bridge - tunnel - bridge

first the bridges have to be built to able to built the tunnels, the bridges are nearly finished and it is time for the tunnels

but at the moment are no new tunnels built, at the moment they start to wide the emergency tunnels of the 2 longer ones to a scale for traffic, next year in summer the start to dig the new tubes of the short 2 tunnels which have no emergency tubes

all just in time building, all is started to be finished when it is needed and the shorter complete new tunnels are finished faster than the widening of the long ones
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2014, 03:08 AM   #3717
MrAlpine

Likes (Received): 5

A7 Linz

On October 16th, about two months ago now, Austria's first ramp meter or zuflussregelungsanlage in German has been put into operation. It is located on one of the entrance ramps of the Mühlkreis Autobahn (A7), more specifically just south of the city of Linz. Based on Asfinag's announcement - and as far as my German skills provide me to fully understand the text's details - the technical functioning of the system seems to be similar to the way they are being programmed in NL. That means the ramp meter will turn on when traffic flow exceeds a certain value, or when a (strongly) decreased speed is being measured. When the row of waiting vehicles gets too long and is starting to block other traffic, the ramp meter will automatically turn off again. The only difference seems to be absence of a red light camera, apparently Austrians do not need these things to comply with the law Is there any data regarding the improvement in traffic flow available yet? Or has that still to come?

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
MrAlpine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2014, 04:55 PM   #3718
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

Austrians normally don't run red lights, yes.
Old December 15th, 2014, 12:03 AM   #3719
Goy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 156

Is it possible to go from Salzburgo to Ljubljania in an autobahn?

Last edited by Goy; December 15th, 2014 at 12:24 AM.
Goy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2014, 12:18 AM   #3720
MrAlpine

Likes (Received): 5

A quick look on Google Maps answers your question; that is definitely possible. First you take the Tauern Autobahn (A10) to Villach, then you take the Karawanken Autobahn (A11) to the Austrian/Slovenian border and in the last place you take the Slovenian A2 towards Ljubljana.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
MrAlpine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria