daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 13th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #3761
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Do you use periods in Quebec or commas? 1.5 km or 1,5 km?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:36 PM   #3762
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
We do it because we can.
Well, someone who dares to ask "Why do Europeans do X" is a refreshing novelty around here.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Road_UK liked this post
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #3763
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

In your case, yes
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 11:56 PM   #3764
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
What a waste of money.
It's not a waste of money. A7 across Linz is usually very congested, probably one of the worst bottlenecks of Austria.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 12:02 AM   #3765
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
^ Why do European countries use meters on road signs if it's more than 1 km? I see signs displaying "1500 m" rather than 1.5 km. If it's less than 1 km, then for sure use meters, such as 800 m.
I guess it is much less confusing than to see first 1.5 km and then 25 secs later 800 meters. It should be easier for the brain to perceive the information when it is provided in the same standard.

Since it would be quite strange to put on the boards 0.8 km, it makes sense to me to use meters for both.

Another thing is that it makes clear differentiation between the exits and destination distances.

idnaidna liked this post

Last edited by Surel; February 15th, 2015 at 10:29 PM. Reason: than
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 12:46 AM   #3766
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
I guess it is much less confusing to see first 1.5 km and then 25 secs later 800 meters. It should be easier for the brain to perceive the information when it is provided in the same standard.

Since it would be quite strange to put on the boards 0.8 km, it makes sense to me to use meters for both.

Another thing is that it makes clear differentiation between the exits and destination distances.
I don't see any problem with 0.8 km. However, yes, whatever they choose meters or km, they should keep using the same unit.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old February 14th, 2015, 01:47 AM   #3767
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

If memory serves, Quebec would say 0.8, or 0,8.

Where are our Canadians?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old February 14th, 2015, 10:30 AM   #3768
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
http://www.asfinag.at/documents/1018...=1423734231518

grey = Existing Autobahn
orange = Tunnel safety program 2015
purple = Major project u/c in 2015
red = Major project, start of construction in 2015
blue = General safety improvements
gold = Major project, start of construction after 2015

http://www.asfinag.at/unterwegs/bauen
what are they planning to do with S37? is it going to become a motorwaylike S-strasse (like S35 for instance), or they will only reconstruct 1+1 and 2+1 parts?

Last edited by x-type; February 14th, 2015 at 11:02 AM.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 11:01 AM   #3769
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

S37 upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
what are they planning to do with S37? is it going to become a motorlike S-strasse (like S35 for instance), or they will only reconstruct 1+1 and 2+1 parts?
http://www.asfinag.at/unterwegs/baup...lagenfurt-nord

Safety upgrade and renovation with Median and wider lanes (2x2). Road width will be increased from 16 to 20.6m. 18km, 96 million €. AADT: 25,000 vehicles/day.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

italystf liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 02:13 PM   #3770
italystf

Quote:
http://www.asfinag.at/unterwegs/baup...lagenfurt-nord

Safety upgrade and renovation with Median and wider lanes (2x2). Road width will be increased from 16 to 20.6m. 18km, 96 million €. AADT: 25,000 vehicles/day.
Is 20.6m enough to get autobahn status, like S6, S36 and S35? It sounds pretty narrow, unless they build a single concrete\steel crashbarrier in the middle instead of a proper median.
4 standard lanes (3.75m) take already 15m, so only 5,6m are left to the hard shoulders and the median.
Old February 14th, 2015, 02:17 PM   #3771
MichiH

It's already S37..... And yes, I think 20.6m is enough for expressway status.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old February 14th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #3772
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Is 20.6m enough to get autobahn status, like S6, S36 and S35? It sounds pretty narrow, unless they build a single concrete\steel crashbarrier in the middle instead of a proper median.
4 standard lanes (3.75m) take already 15m, so only 5,6m are left to the hard shoulders and the median.
it is enough for the case of narrowed lanes (3,5m) and 2,5m wide hard shoulder. in that case for the median remains 1,6m
Old February 14th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #3773
italystf

Quote:
It's already S37..... And yes, I think 20.6m is enough for expressway status.
The S-number in Austria doesn't mean expressway status. It can be a full motorway (with motorway signs and 130 speed limit, like S6, S35, S36 or S1), a 4-lanes undivided road (S37 or S31), and even a 2-lanes road (parts of S16).
Old February 14th, 2015, 05:35 PM   #3774
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
^ Why do European countries use meters on road signs if it's more than 1 km? I see signs displaying "1500 m" rather than 1.5 km. If it's less than 1 km, then for sure use meters, such as 800 m.
Because they hate the metric system's biggest benefit - the ability to easily remove trailing zeros?

OK, sensible hat on - when someone proposed metricising (or rather continentalised) UK signage on SABRE, this was something that was pointed out as being silly*, and why not continue using fractions (as is what is currently used) or use decimal points.

The arguments this guy made were as follows:
1) decimal points/commas are hard to see. 0.8km apparently might be confused for 08km and 1.6km might be confused with 16km
2) smaller numbers to show fractions / numbers right of the decimal point (as France uses for exit numbers) makes them harder to read (yet people's problem with the fractions was made in the discussion that followed was not that they can't read the signs, but that they weren't taught them at school and don't know what ˝ is!)

I presume that readability is the key reason why they use '1500m' rather than '1,5km'. Whether it's entirely valid is a different question.

*especially as one of the key complaints this guy had against UK signs was clutter, which he removed (even when removing what he saw as clutter completely changed the meaning of the sign, but that's a different rant...) and then filled our signs with these trailing zeros, symbols showing which 'type' of motorway junction it was and various other clutter that was OK as it was what they use on the continent.

mcarling, Penn's Woods liked this post
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #3775
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Using kilometres gives impression that the destination is far away, so using metres is better for exits.

JackFrost liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 05:10 PM   #3776
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Do you use periods in Quebec or commas? 1.5 km or 1,5 km?
Quebec uses 1,5 km while English Canada uses 1.5 like America.
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6

Penn's Woods liked this post
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 05:11 PM   #3777
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Using kilometres gives impression that the destination is far away, so using metres is better for exits.
Interesting point...
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #3778
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Hmmm....

1km: far away
100m: close to

Old February 15th, 2015, 06:35 PM   #3779
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

maybe so people won't be confused
2km 1.5km 1000m 500m 100m vs.
2000m 1500m 1000m 500m 100m
I guess marking a distance in m instead of km gives it a greater sense of accuracy, whereas a distance in km is often not very accurate.
[atomic] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #3780
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Hmmm....

1km: far away
100m: close to

Well, 0.1 km doesn't sound close to me.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote