daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2015, 08:58 PM   #3781
-Valentino-
Je me Souviens

Likes (Received): 44

I like 0-900 m
1km+

No 0.xx should be used.
  • John 13:34-35 | John 8:7 | John 11:25-26 | John 14:6 | John 3:16-18 | Matthew 5:11 | Matthew 5:6
-Valentino- no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2015, 09:32 PM   #3782
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Valentino- View Post
I like 0-900 m
1km+
If you use metres for exits (250 m, 500 m), it makes sense to use them also for 1000 m or 1500 m. However, once I saw 9000 m in Slovenia, which looked weird. I think it should be max. 5000 m.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 09:55 PM   #3783
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

At first glance from a distance I thought the sign said 2200 km

A25 Hamburg by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 09:59 PM   #3784
Verso
Islander

Combining meters and kilometers isn't the best idea.
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:16 PM   #3785
bogdymol
bogdymod

Yesterday I drove on A7 / S10 / E55. On the entire route between Linz and Freistadt it's either an opened motorway/expressway, or a construction site. From what's I've seen from the main road (old road), the new expressway will be really nice to drive: hilly terrain, nice landscape and a lot of tunnels.

When is scheduled S10 to be completed until Freistadt?

One thing: just after the border, in Czech Republic, there are some hills and the road goes up and down with up to 12% steepness.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #3786
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

I saw often those kind of roads in CZ when I drove there
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2015, 11:36 PM   #3787
Moravian

Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Yesterday I drove on A7 / S10 / E55. On the entire route between Linz and Freistadt it's either an opened motorway/expressway, or a construction site. From what's I've seen from the main road (old road), the new expressway will be really nice to drive: hilly terrain, nice landscape and a lot of tunnels.

When is scheduled S10 to be completed until Freistadt?

One thing: just after the border, in Czech Republic, there are some hills and the road goes up and down with up to 12% steepness.
The bypass of Freistadt (S10) was opened in November. The remaining part of S10 to Freistadt is going to be opened within this year. The first tunnel tube in Neumarkt was opened in 2003.
Yes, the national road I/3 in CZ just after the border (bypass of Dolni Dvoriste) is very dangerous. In 2003 there was large coach accident, 20 people died.......
Moravian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 12:12 AM   #3788
Verso
Islander

I think that was the scariest road in my life, our bus driver drove there like crazy back in 1996.
Old February 16th, 2015, 01:35 PM   #3789
definitivo

Likes (Received): 46

...i drove Freistadt - Dolni Dvoriste - Rozmberk nad Vltavou - Cesky Krumlov few years ago...narrow, but very good road next to the river Vltava and beautiful nature & landscapes...
definitivo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 02:33 PM   #3790
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I think that was the scariest road in my life, our bus driver drove there like crazy back in 1996.
This summer I saw queues around 20 km long, in both directions on that road.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 02:35 PM   #3791
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
At first glance from a distance I thought the sign said 2200 km
They should have written 2,2 km instead, or even have rounded it to 2 km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
If you use metres for exits (250 m, 500 m), it makes sense to use them also for 1000 m or 1500 m. However, once I saw 9000 m in Slovenia, which looked weird. I think it should be max. 5000 m.
Is really necessary to signpost an exit (or even a motorway-to-motorway interchange) 9 km before?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old February 16th, 2015, 03:11 PM   #3792
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Some American toll roads systematically tell you on exit signs "Next Exit 15 Miles" or whatever. Presumably because the gaps between exits are fairly long.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #3793
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Is really necessary to signpost an exit (or even a motorway-to-motorway interchange) 9 km before?
I don't remember where I saw it, but I don't think it was a sign for an exit.
Old February 18th, 2015, 08:49 PM   #3794
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

S7 Fürstenfelder Schnellstraße

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
S7 has been delayed several times over the past 5 years. Back in late 2009, it was planned to begin in 2010, then 2012, then 2014, and now second half of 2015...
The EIS of the first S7 section is passed, see press release. Riegersdorf (A2) to Dobersdorf (OSM). Length: 14.8km, including 2 tunnels (Tunnel Speltenbach: 1000m and Tunnel Rudersdorf 2900m) and 24 bridges (10-200m). 2x2 lanes. Total costs: 471 million €, including 98 million €for environmental compensation measures.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 11:59 AM   #3795
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

A bridge over Graz-Wien railway on S35 collapsed yesterday. Bridge was being reconstructed, there are no casualities but mainline railways will be closed for several weeks. Only few minutes before collapse a passenger train drove under that bridge. S35 is closed too.

http://steiermark.orf.at/news/stories/2696008/

Here is that bridge:
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.2...16512&t=h&z=17

SRC_100 liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 12:04 PM   #3796
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Wow. Not a good month for bridges in Europe...
Old February 22nd, 2015, 01:21 PM   #3797
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

wow what a nasty thing, incredible that such things happen! that will make real mess there, especially in railway traffic.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 01:23 PM   #3798
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This is the fourth bridge failure this month in Europe;

* 2 February: Skjeggestad Bridge in Norway collapses after a slide. Was demolished with explosives yesterday.
* 10 February: bearing snapped off the Schierstein Bridge in Germany, the bridge deck dips by 30 cm and cracks. Bridge closed for circa 6 weeks.
* 14 February: The Łazienkowski Bridge in Poland catches fire, needs to be demolished.
* 21 February: The S35 Bridge in Austria collapses.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 04:24 PM   #3799
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
A bridge over Graz-Wien railway on S35 collapsed yesterday. Bridge was being reconstructed, there are no casualities but mainline railways will be closed for several weeks. Only few minutes before collapse a passenger train drove under that bridge. S35 is closed too.
Really impressive!

It's good to know that nobody has been hurt...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2015, 04:36 PM   #3800
italystf

Why they had to reconstuct that bridge? S35 was already completed.

Tags
austria