daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #3981
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Comparing satellite imagery, it appears that this way they did not have to relocate any inhabitants or businesses. A southern alignment would be too steep and require demolition of a few houses, and a northern alignment is not possible due to the river.

edit: is this the first segment of S36 with exit numbering? German Wikipedia doesn't show exit numbers for S36.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #3982
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Yes, I see! I haven't saw that this was an extension of the S36, it is justified!
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 02:49 AM   #3983
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Why did they build this instead of simply getting around of the center of the city? It would have been so much simpler and cheaper?
https://www.google.at/maps/@47.21177.../data=!5m1!1e4

please found some easy terrain for a bypass

winnipeg liked this post
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 08:57 AM   #3984
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_AT View Post
https://www.google.at/maps/@47.21177.../data=!5m1!1e4

please found some easy terrain for a bypass
In France I'm used to see these kind of bypass built :

Because this is cheap (even if you need to remove some houses, it still cost less than the millions necesary for a such tunnel), and the city is only 900 inhabitants in a rural area, so such bypass is not a real problem... at least in France. But we certainly doesn't have the same amount of government finances in France than in Austria...

But my coment was valid because I tought that it was a simple regional road, not the continuity of S36 or any highway, in this case a tunnel seems more indicated, yes...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 03:31 PM   #3985
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It may look like flat terrain on a satellite image, but in reality that alignment has some 40-50 meters of height difference there.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

augmentedreality liked this post
Old December 6th, 2015, 12:12 PM   #3986
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

S10 Mühlviertler Schnellstraße

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
S10: Freistadt-South – Unterweitersbach 13.6km (Spring 2012 to Late December 2015) – projectmap

The section should be opened on 20th December 2015, see news article.
Also Asfinag states now "end of december" ("Die Gesamtverkehrsfreigabe der S 10 wird Ende Dezember 2015 erfolgen"), at the project page.
The symbolic opening ceremony will be next Saturday, December 12th. Source.

Outlook of the extension to the Czech border:

S10: CZ/AT border (Dolni Dvoriste) – Rainbach-North ~7km (? to ?) – projectmap (depends on traffic volume and Czech planning progress)
S10: Rainbach-North – Freistadt-North 8.5km (2021 to 2024) – projectmap (EIS procedure is ongoing or should begin in 2016 or...)
S10: Freistadt-North – Freistadt-South 5.9km (Summer 2011 to 16th November 2014) – projectmap

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 01:11 PM   #3987
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
The symbolic opening ceremony will be next Saturday, December 12th. Source.

Outlook of the extension to the Czech border:

S10: CZ/AT border (Wullowitz) [(Dolni Dvoriste)] – Rainbach-North ~7km (? to ?) – projectmap (depends on traffic volume and Czech planning progress)
S10: Rainbach-North – Freistadt-North 8.5km (2021 to 2024) – projectmap (EIS procedure is ongoing or should begin in 2016 or...)
S10: Freistadt-North – Freistadt-South 5.9km (Summer 2011 to 16th November 2014) – projectmap
nice summary, but austrian motorways ends in austrian towns

for information, freistadt north - rainbach north fix the last bottlenecks in towns and hard incline streak, the last section to the border is a good main road straight, the only problem is sometimes overtake trucks but for this short section we are waiting for the czechs and their progress, a motorway wont be needed until on the other side of the border is also one

Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 01:31 PM   #3988
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
a motorway wont be needed until on the other side of the border is also one
There will never be a motorway if the Czechs have the same attitude.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

SRC_100 liked this post
Old December 6th, 2015, 01:33 PM   #3989
MichiH

Quote:
nice summary, but austrian motorways ends in austrian towns
I know that it's weird but the problem for my list is that I'd like to have the same end location name for two neighboring sections.
Dolni Dvoriste has about 1,200 inhabitants, Wullowitz just 64 according to wikipedia.

The entire route in one list:

D3: Veseli nad Luznici – Bosilec 5.1km (April 2015 to March 2018) – projectmap
D3: Bosilec – Sevetin 8.1km (September 2015 to September 2018) – projectmap

D3: Sevetin – Borek 10.7km (2016? to December 2018) – projectmap

D3: Borek – Usilne ~2.5km (April 2015 to March 2018) – projectmap

D3: Usilne – Hodejovice ~7.5km (November 2016 to December 2020) – projectmap
D3: Hodejovice – Trebonin 12.5km (November 2016 to December 2020) – projectmap
R3: Trebonin – Kaplice nadrazi 8.5km (November 2017 to October 2020) – projectmap
R3: Kaplice nadrazi – Nazidla 12.0km (October 2017 to September 2020) – projectmap
R3: Nazidla – CZ/AT border (Dolni Dvoriste) 3.5km (October 2017 to October 2020) – projectmap
S10: CZ/AT border (Dolni Dvoriste) – Rainbach-North ~7km (? to ?) – projectmap
S10: Rainbach-North – Freistadt-North 8.5km (2021 to 2024) – projectmap

S10: Freistadt-South – Unterweitersdorf 13.6km (Spring 2012 to 20th December 2015) – projectmap

btw: I guess the 2020 completion announcements of the Czech project pages are unlikely.

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

italystf liked this post

Last edited by MichiH; December 7th, 2015 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Unterweitersbach --> Unterweitersdorf
Old December 6th, 2015, 09:05 PM   #3990
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Quote:
S10: Freistadt-South – Unterweitersbach 13.6km (Spring 2012 to 20th December 2015) – projectmap
Why is not Unterweitersdorf ?

MichiH liked this post
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 12:35 PM   #3991
MichiH

Thanks. Maybe it was kind of a test........

On the other hand, a village (dorf) and a little river (bach) is almost the same...

SRC_100 liked this post
Old December 7th, 2015, 11:15 PM   #3992
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1170

Asfinag reports that the environmental impact assessment ("Umweltverträglichkeitsprüfung") was succesfully passed for the extension of the express way "S3 Weinviertler Schnellstraße" from Hollabrunn to Guntersdorf: Press Release Project Page

Nature conservation & construction permits are still missing, but ASFINAG is planning to start construction of this 11km section in the 2nd half of 2016.

Location of the planned section: OSM Google Maps

The S3 extension will be a 2+1 profile, as it is already on the existing ~21 kilometres.

It is the last planned extension for the S3. From the planned terminus in Guntersdorf the existing B303 will take the traffic till the Czech Border near Kleinhaugsdorf (on the Czech side, the road continues until Zjnomo as the next major town). This existing part of the B303 is in relatively good shape, not passing through villages, and having only three roundabouts; thus unless there is a sudden major increase in traffic, I'd say further ugprades are unlikely in the next decade.

belerophon liked this post

Last edited by rudiwien; December 8th, 2015 at 04:01 AM.
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 01:52 AM   #3993
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
It is the last planned extension for the S3.
Pity. If the road were better on the CZ side, it would be the best route between Prague and Vienna.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 11:37 AM   #3994
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

I'm planning to drive last weekend of December coming from Ptuj to Germany. I'm guessing there are border controls between SLO and A because of migrants.
Which crossing would you recommend to lose the least time?
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 02:54 PM   #3995
rudiwien

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
I'm planning to drive last weekend of December coming from Ptuj to Germany. I'm guessing there are border controls between SLO and A because of migrants.
Which crossing would you recommend to lose the least time?

There are border controls between SLO and A, but also between A and D, so you need to chose both border crossings correctly...

It is very difficult to predict how it will be in >3 weeks, as the situation changes almost every day.
For e.g. today, the ÖAMTC (the Austrian motor club, equivalent of e.g. ADAC or RAA) does report no significant delays (http://www.oeamtc.at/portal/situatio...n+2500+1635286, in German only)

I thus suggest that you inform yourself again closer to the actual travel date.
A few good sources, though only in German:
- the ÖAMTC at http://www.oeamtc.at/portal/verkehrsservice
- the Ö3 radio station at http://oe3verkehr.orf.at/ (if you understand German, you can also listen to the live stream, they have traffic news always after the half hour, and right after the news at the full hour and normally also report border waiting times; http://oe3.orf.at/live/, access might be IP geo-controlled though..)

A relatively good summary of the general situation (written ~2 weeks ago) is also at http://www.oeamtc.at/portal/europa-v...n+2500+1635710 (in German only)

cinxxx liked this post
Old December 8th, 2015, 03:30 PM   #3996
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Danke! Deutsch ist perfekt!

So it looks there are controls everywhere.
I will have to be very careful when I drive East a week before I return.
I have a hunch that many people like me will drive "home" on 19.12.
My plan is to make a stop in Bratislava and not go over Nickelsdorf, then drive to Hungary via Rajka.

Hopefully there will not be huge delays...

Last edited by cinxxx; December 8th, 2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old December 8th, 2015, 04:23 PM   #3997
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Something else: avoiding the Gleinalmtunnel and going by S35 and S36, is the time delay anywhere close like Google Maps says, around 15 minutes. I could plan a stop in Leoben, looks like a nice place.

Otherwise I could take the faster road and stop somewhere like Wels...

The only downside is that being end of December, the day is very short, so there is not much daylight.
Old December 8th, 2015, 05:39 PM   #3998
celevac

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:

My plan is to make a stop in Bratislava and not go over Nickelsdorf, then drive to Hungary via Rajka.

There are no border controls at Hegyeshalom/Nickelsdorf as of last weekend. The tents are still there, though.

At Spielfeld, however, Austrian police still check cars crossing into Austria.
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:29 PM   #3999
rudiwien

Quote:
Something else: avoiding the Gleinalmtunnel and going by S35 and S36, is the time delay anywhere close like Google Maps says, around 15 minutes. I could plan a stop in Leoben, looks like a nice place.

I'd say it's around 15-20 minutes, and yes, it is realistic; over the summer there was some repair on S36 from Bruck westwards and thus one-laned traffic which could have slowed you down, but that is finished since some weeks.

Btw, technically, it is S35 & S6, as S36 is the continuation of S6 after the intersection with the A9 in St. Michael... not really sure what is the logic behind that though :-)

Gleinalmtunnel will for sure be the better (but yes, more expensive) option in around 4 years, when the second tube is finished and it has two lanes in each direction, likely with a 100 speed limit; there isn't much you can see at the construction either :-)
Gleinalmtunnel and that part of the A9 is normally good to drive, three lanes in the uphill sections and no steep curves; however, on certain high-traffic weekends, mostly in summer, you can encounter a "Blockabfertigung", i.e. they let the cars through the tunnel only en-bloc; not sure if that happens often in winter, though.

S35 is an interesting road. For once, it goes through a rather interesting valley with some nice views, and it is a mixture of very old design (60s/70s) with rather big turns, and modern, as most of the northern section of S35 is a rather new motorway, finished ~ 5 years ago; in that part, it features many tunnels (that means also many pieces of 100km/h); in some places, the carriageways are on different levels.

You would also drive over the bridge that was just recently repaired after it collapsed during repairs earlier this year (see e.g. http://steiermark.orf.at/news/stories/2745628/). S36 is also rather old alignment, but not that many turns, and the tunnels have all just been renovated in the last years.

In Bruck/Mur you would also see, in my opinion, one of the most ugly motorway intersections we have in Austria, all built in the fabulous times of the 70s: https://goo.gl/maps/ApSosuhjQr12; also the bridge of the S6 is not a very appealing site: https://goo.gl/maps/XF3V91TjufR2

Quote:
Otherwise I could take the faster road and stop somewhere like Wels...

The only downside is that being end of December, the day is very short, so there is not much daylight.
I'd say they are rather similar in what you can expect, with a small but neat town centre. Leoben might be a bit easier to get in, as it is in general a bit smaller, and not in the busy area Wels-Linz.
A totally different option for a stop is around Windischgarsten, where you would get a really nice small town, plus a very nice panorama with high mountains to almost all sides, quite unique.

Another way to waste time but save money is to go over the Pyhrnpass instead of the recently dualed Bosrucktunnel, along here: https://goo.gl/maps/jYe8ubD1TRw
It is not a pass like over the Arlberg, but still quite a nice drive, and normally not much traffic, except the part that goes through Liezen. But check before, if there is fresh snow it might not be a good idea.

cinxxx liked this post

Last edited by rudiwien; December 8th, 2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old December 8th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #4000
rudiwien

Quote:

I don't think that there are really controls from A -> HU/SK, so you should be fine with that.

You might end up in a traffic jam around the intersection of S1 & A4 south of Vienna, before the Airport, as indeed many people pass through there to Hungary or Romania, see below the Google maps traffic from the Saturday before Christmas last year.

They widened the A4 now to three lanes from the Airport to one exit further southwards (Fischamend), but I'd expect that to just move the traffic jam a bit more southwards, and not completely resolve it.

If you go to Bratislava, you could go along the B9 via Hainburg, which would be an alternative, interesting stopover instead of Bratislava.
If you go to SK, you'd also need the Slovak toll sticker, btw.

Last edited by rudiwien; December 8th, 2015 at 07:07 PM.

Tags
austria