daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2016, 08:48 PM   #4021
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonczyk View Post
1,5 years for construction is a nice tempo, I'm glad we're finally done with motorway construction times of 3-4 years.
because Germany is crazy in organizing projects, you can take a lot of examples, one you can directly see on bing.maps actual:
http://binged.it/1mXZIJ7
now finished but the situation
- old motorway is from the 1930s, 2+2 a lot of up and down
- this big bridge lifts the motorway 20m up in the air to reduce up and down
- bridge area motorway expanded north side, left side (west) in the south side expanded
- sections on the east and west side already expanded to 3+3, close the gap project

-> this big and expensive bridge was built first and was finished and not used for full 2 years, only one expample how germany motorway construction works (or not)

-> normal way, use the money for the bridge for other projects to finish them early or use the money to expand the section and open it 3+3 and build the bridge as a last step (will reduce die distance 2+2 and make the bottleneck smaller)

to austria, the best example ist now Linz how projects work, for making short it is fix planned and sheduled from now to 2030 in which years the A26 is new bulit and how the existing A7 is renovated, perfect timed when the main part of the A26 is built = no renovation on the A7 to reduce diruptions impacts from construction, at the moment the new A26 is finished the renovation of the "hotest" part of the A7 starts and so some traffic will automatically move from A7 to A26 to keep the traffic flowing as good as possible, this switching date will be about 7 years in future

belerophon liked this post
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 1st, 2016, 09:59 AM   #4022
FED

Likes (Received): 0

I don't quite understand in what state is this section now.
I agree that this is usually not a representative way to produce expensive piece of infrastructure (fixed capital) and to let it unused for a longer period. Good news is that German public sector is very small in compared to its private...
FED no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2016, 07:08 PM   #4023
Christian_AT

A9 - Tunnelkette Klaus - excavation of the last tunnel finished
http://www.asfinag.at/documents/1018...5-a2041d37b630

german:
http://www.asfinag.at/newsroom?-1004...side-view-full
http://www.asfinag.at/unterwegs/baup...E_I8LKwiYWAPVa

project timeline:
2017 end -swap traffic to the new carriageway - refurbish old one
2018 end - open 2+2

Deadeye Reloaded liked this post
Old March 14th, 2016, 09:51 PM   #4024
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

S7 Fürstenfelder Schnellstraße

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The groundbreaking ceremony took place. The first 14.8km section contains a 1km and a 2.9km tunnel. Total costs: 471 million €, thereof 98 million € (21%) for environmental compensation. First, the renovation and widening of an A2 bridge is done for 1.8 million € until November 2015. See press release. (I guess it should be this bridge)

It's still planned to open both sections (14.8km + 13.6km) at once in 2021 but the construction of the 2nd section could be delayed due to appeals. See project page.

The appeal against the court decision and expropriation procedures of the 1st section are still pending. 30 land owners have not yet agreed. Opponents claim that the groundbreaking ceremony is just an election propaganda because the state's election in Steiermark and Burgenland will be on next Sunday. They say that just an existing bridge is renovated and this cannot be called the beginning of the new roads' construction. See news article.

If I got it right, the bridge is also widened because the acceleration and deceleration lanes need more space. So this could be called the beginning of the constuction works:

S7: Riegersdorf (A2) – Dobersdorf 14.8km (May 2015 to 2021) – projectmap
The EIS of the 2nd section has been passed, see press release. The costs of the 1st section are 480 million € (including 2 tunnels longer than 1km), the 2nd section costs 140 million €. The construction of the 2nd section could begin in 2017. It's planned to open both sections at once in 2022.

S7: Dobersdorf – AT/HU border (Heiligenkreuz) 13.6km (Fall 2017 to 2022) – projectmap

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

SRC_100 liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2016, 11:36 PM   #4025
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i travelled to Wien this weekend and I was surprised with condition of A9 between Spielfeld and Graz. i remember it as horrible, concrete in really poor condition with asphalt patches, traces, bulges. but now it is throughly refurbished. new asphalt (i'd say with new base layer and drainage), completely new signalization, noise barriers, really new and modern motorway. (there are still few km just after the border with old concrete in poor condition, i think between Spielfeld and Leibnitz, it would be good to renew it too in the same mode).
Old April 5th, 2016, 01:28 PM   #4026
bogdymol
bogdymod

A4 nearby Parndorf was the same few years ago, but now it is completely refurbished. They still have to make a short section nearby the border also here.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2016, 11:25 PM   #4027
Sentilj

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i travelled to Wien this weekend and I was surprised with condition of A9 between Spielfeld and Graz. i remember it as horrible, concrete in really poor condition with asphalt patches, traces, bulges. but now it is throughly refurbished. new asphalt (i'd say with new base layer and drainage), completely new signalization, noise barriers, really new and modern motorway. (there are still few km just after the border with old concrete in poor condition, i think between Spielfeld and Leibnitz, it would be good to renew it too in the same mode).
A9 Graz-SLO has been reconstructed during 2013, weird is that they used two types of surfaces. Direction to SLO have asphalt surface and opposite direction have full concrete surface. ASFINAG is probably testing the durability of surfaces...? You can cleary hear the difference between the surfaces.

http://dialnice.info/gallery/image_p...image_id=16275
http://dialnice.info/gallery/image_p...image_id=16274
http://dialnice.info/gallery/image_p...image_id=16273
http://dialnice.info/gallery/image_p...image_id=16272
http://dialnice.info/gallery/image_p...image_id=16271
Sentilj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #4028
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1161

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
A4 nearby Parndorf was the same few years ago, but now it is completely refurbished. They still have to make a short section nearby the border also here.

They are working a bit northward this year, between Gols/Weiden & Mönchhof, the last part to the border will be done next year, 2017.

According to the latest plans, they will start 2018 with widening to 2x3 in the section between Fischamend (just south of the airport, where they had widened in the last two years to 2x3) and Neusiedl (aka Parndorf Outlet), past south of the interchange with A6, i.e. approximately this section: https://goo.gl/maps/FUndFzgvKH22

(see http://www.asfinag.at/newsroom/press...4-ost-autobahn, in German Language only)
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2016, 07:43 PM   #4029
bogdymol
bogdymod

I drive on that section quite often, every 2-3 weeks. I usually drive there on Friday afternoons when there's most traffic and that section (Fischamend - Parndorf) is one of the most congested and with drivers driving like in eastern Europe (they think they are already in Hungary maybe). It has happened often to see accidents on that section because it is so crowded at certain times and people drive fast and without leaving a safe distance to the ones in front.
Old April 11th, 2016, 11:28 PM   #4030
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Does Salzburg still adopt that "environmental" speed limit of 100k/h?
Old April 11th, 2016, 11:33 PM   #4031
Christian_AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Does Salzburg still adopt that "environmental" speed limit of 100k/h?
100 would be fine, but it is 80 kmh (if you see these IGL letters = environmental on a speed limit dont drive faster, this are expensive pictures)
Old April 13th, 2016, 01:18 PM   #4032
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_AT View Post
100 would be fine, but it is 80 kmh (if you see these IGL letters = environmental on a speed limit dont drive faster, this are expensive pictures)
Electric cars are also limited to 80 kmh for environmental reasons???
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2016, 01:41 PM   #4033
bogdymol
bogdymod

That's a good question. Maybe a judge would find you not guilty for driving faster than allowed in an IG-L zone.

mcarling liked this post
Old April 14th, 2016, 04:40 AM   #4034
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Electric cars are also limited to 80 kmh for environmental reasons???
Austrians frequently come up with bad ideas
Old April 14th, 2016, 04:35 PM   #4035
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Quote:
That's a good question. Maybe a judge would find you not guilty for driving faster than allowed in an IG-L zone.
Then again one could make the argument that the fact that you'd be driving significantly faster then the rest of the cars would lower the capacity of the road, meaning more congestion during rush hours, which again would result in increased emissions.

Highway89 liked this post
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #4036
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

Quote:
Apparently they do:

https://www.vwgh.gv.at/rechtsprechun...30A07B6F8C2D?0
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2016, 12:34 PM   #4037
John Maynard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Then again one could make the argument that the fact that you'd be driving significantly faster then the rest of the cars would lower the capacity of the road, meaning more congestion during rush hours, which again would result in increased emissions.
What about cars that drive 250 km/h and others 80-130 km/h on German Autobahns?
Does the faster ones create massive traffic jams .
John Maynard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #4038
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maynard View Post
What about cars that drive 250 km/h and others 80-130 km/h on German Autobahns?
Does the faster ones create massive traffic jams .
During jams, nobody is going 250. Those going 250 before the jam certainly contributed to its creation to a far bigger extent than those going 130 like the rest.
Old April 24th, 2016, 07:44 PM   #4039
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

I don't think this makes sense
it is valid that highest throughput of the lane seems to occur around 70-80 km/h since this is the speed before breakdown of the traffic flow
But I can't see how people driving faster can cause the breakdown... the speed is more the consequence of the traffic density and not the density being consequence of individual vehicle speed
Old April 24th, 2016, 08:00 PM   #4040
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1161

Yes, in fact, traffic jams don't always make sense. Many of them are caused by the road being simply beyond the limit of capacity (the "logical" traffic jame), but there are also traffic jams that happen when the road is utilised under the maximum capacity; see e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffi...tical_theories for some explanations.
You can also read e.g. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/7544...explained.html or watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goVjVVaLe10. And there are surely many other resources..

So, yes, someone driving too fast and making abrupt manoeuvres can as much be the cause as someone driving too slow, or someone changing the lane too abruptly, etc..
I guess all of us have been in such a traffic jam ourselves, where when you get out of it, you have no clue why there was a congestion in first place..
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria