daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2016, 07:00 PM   #4181
rower2000

Likes (Received): 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Autostraße? Which road category is it? Any example of such roads?
The Austrian road laws are a mess . At first, there are the classifications according to the Straßenverkehrsordnung (StVO):
  • Autobahn (motorway), signposted with the international motorway sign
    130 km/h speed limit (unless otherwise signposted)
    limited access (max design speed of vehicle must exceed 60 km/h)
    no at-grade junctions
    usually divided carriageways for both directions
  • Autostraße (limited access highway), signposted with the rectangular sign showing a car front as is visible on KingNick's pic just behind the Deutschfeistritz exit sign
    100 km/h speed limit (unless otherwise signposted)
    limited access (max design speed of vehicle must exceed 60 km/h)
    at-grade junctions possible
    no divided carriageways necessary
  • Straße mit Vorrang, road number sign blue and rectangular
    normal road, but with priority over side streets (they have STOP or yield signs)
  • Straße ohne Vorrang
    all other roads
and then you have the classification according to the Bundesstraßengesetz (Federal Highway Act):
  • Autobahnen
    originally planned as the main trunk routes
    have to be Autobahnen in the sense of the StVO (see above)
  • Schnellstraßen
    originally planned as the main feeder routes for the Autobahn and regional trunk routes
    can be either Autobahn or Autostraße in the sense of the StVO
    originally had some more relaxed design parameters (curve radii, speed in exit and entrance ramps, width of right-of-way, etc.)
However, as stated above all design differences between Autobahn and Schnellstraße according to BStG were put away with, now it's really just stupid marketing.
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2016, 11:02 AM   #4182
m_rocco

Likes (Received): 11

I remember B50 from Eisenstadt towards Bratislava had that sign with car front and 100 kmh speed limit. So is that an Autostraße?
m_rocco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 12:08 PM   #4183
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1161

Yes, that sign is for Autostraße:

The B50 has indeed partially the "Autostraße" signs, especially those sections that are (rather new) bypasses of settlements, such as the one of "Schützen am Gebirge", but also other sections along the road are "Autostraßen", basically the ones that are marked in orange (see http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/47.8940/16.6754)

rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 01:38 PM   #4184
bogdymol
bogdymod

I remember seeing that blue sign on the road between Eisenstadt and Parndorf.

But that sign is quite widely used in Austria, even on other roads. I remember seeing it on the main road around Schladming, or on the main road between Vöcklabruck and Wels. Or other smaller roads, on short stretches that are of higher standard.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 06:51 PM   #4185
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8709

Quote:
Originally Posted by rower2000 View Post
The Austrian road laws are a mess
They really are not. StVO and BStG have a different scope. Nothing confusing about it, especially since only the StVO is relevant for the average citizen.
Old August 17th, 2016, 11:09 PM   #4186
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by rower2000 View Post
The Austrian road laws are a mess .

[...]

you have the classification according to the Bundesstraßengesetz (Federal Highway Act):
  • Autobahnen
    originally planned as the main trunk routes
    have to be Autobahnen in the sense of the StVO (see above)
  • Schnellstraßen
    originally planned as the main feeder routes for the Autobahn and regional trunk routes
    can be either Autobahn or Autostraße in the sense of the StVO
    originally had some more relaxed design parameters (curve radii, speed in exit and entrance ramps, width of right-of-way, etc.)
"Autobahnen" and "Schnellstraßen" are called "Bundesstraßen" (federal roads). Former "Bundesstraßen" (B roads) are called "Landesstraßen B" since 1st April 2002 because they are state-owned now. Former "Landesstraßen" are called "Landesstraßen A" and are still state-owned.

German "Bundesstraßen" are still B roads though. "Bundesfernstraßen" are federal roads, "Autobahn" and "Bundesstraßen". Germany does not have "Schnellstraßen" or "Autostrassen".
Switzerland's federal roads are called "Autobahnen", "Autostrassen" and "Hauptstrassen" (= main roads). Swiss use "ss" instead of "ß"...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

verreme, SRC_100 liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2016, 02:46 PM   #4187
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
There was a fire in a Danish bus-rebuilt-to-an-RV yesterday ~18.00 in the Gleinalmtunnel between Graz and St. Michael.
Luckily no victims, just minor smoke inhalation for ~12 people.

The serious side-effect - the roof of the tunnel seems to be severely damaged. They can't yet get fully assess it, as the concrete is still too hot, but the early estimations are a 4-6 weeks closure of the tunnel.

This leads already to huge traffic delays on the alternative route, which is S35 to Bruck, and then S6 to St. Michael. There is a construction site on S6 which reduces it to 1+1, delays are in the range of 1-2 hours, depending on where you go, see https://goo.gl/maps/rScC6RhSMc72 and https://goo.gl/maps/AH3C97nqVk42 (Google doesn't yet know about the closure of the tunnel, it tries to route you through...)

From Graz on S35, the traffic jam forms before the Bruck/Mur interchange (https://www.google.at/maps/@47.40551...!3m1!1e3?hl=de), which has one lane connecting to S6 westbound; on S6 the delay is before the beginning of that construction site.

Asfinag announced they would improve/suspend the construction site while the tunnel is closed, still the Bruck/Mur interchange can be an issue, as it has only one lane for this S6<->S35 relation.

News article in German: http://steiermark.orf.at/news/stories/2789423/

Asfinag news entry suggest to detour also via A2 and A10.
good news, should be open Thursday 25 August again (only 3 weeks)

(german link) see pictures

http://www.kleinezeitung.at/steierma...71441078806102

rudiwien liked this post

Last edited by Christian_AT; August 18th, 2016 at 06:25 PM.
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2016, 07:27 PM   #4188
bogdymol
bogdymod

Too late for me... I should drive through it tomorrow... twice. I'll have to use the detour though.
Old August 18th, 2016, 09:54 PM   #4189
Fab87
Dietrich von Welschbern

Likes (Received): 7153

Some questions: is it true that each Bundesland can impose speed limits on national highways?
I drove A1 from Linz to Vienna last week and for the whole stretch in Upper Austria (3 +3 straight highway ) electronic panels showed speed limit 100!!!
The same applies the other way round, on A21 speed limit 80 suddenly becomes 130 in a rather curvy and dangerous segment
Last questions,on A1 around Melk there are about 10km with 2 lanes where the whole highway is 3 +3. Traffic there is always intense, any chance of seeing that segment updated? Edit:last question was answered 3 pages ago

Last edited by Fab87; August 18th, 2016 at 10:01 PM.
Fab87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2016, 10:28 PM   #4190
bogdymol
bogdymod

1. Not the whole stretch, but about 20 km is limited to 100 km/h when Ig-L is active.

2. On A21 yes, the speed limit changes suddenly on top of a hill in a curve from 130 to 80 km/h (and other way around on the opposite direction). I suppose the 80 limit is for noise polution in the area, but I don't know the official story behind it.

3. A1 around Melk has just started to be widened. Last week-end I saw that they were removing the trees nearby the motorway to make room for the construction site. Will be done in 2 years time.
Old August 18th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #4191
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Bundesländer can only impose speed limits under the scope of the Immissionsschutzgesetz-Luft (Clean Air Act). Ordinary speed limits on Autobahns are subject to regulations of the Federal Ministry.
Old August 18th, 2016, 10:46 PM   #4192
Fab87
Dietrich von Welschbern

Likes (Received): 7153

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post

1. Not the whole stretch, but about 20 km is limited to 100 km/h when Ig-L is active.

2. On A21 yes, the speed limit changes suddenly on top of a hill in a curve from 130 to 80 km/h (and other way around on the opposite direction). I suppose the 80 limit is for noise polution in the area, but I don't know the official story behind it.

3. A1 around Melk has just started to be widened. Last week-end I saw that they were removing the trees nearby the motorway to make room for the construction site. Will be done in 2 years time.
Why point 1?
It's a flat segment with no curves and 3+3 lanes.
Old August 18th, 2016, 10:46 PM   #4193
Corvinus
License plate spotter

Likes (Received): 1190

The thing with the idiot IG-L ("Immissionsschutzgesetz-Luft") is that speeding on such a stretch may result in a charge with environmental (air) pollution, with a much heavier sanction than the standard fine. I wonder how many pollution charges, and over what threshold of over-speeding, have been pressed yet.

- Die Stem van Suid-Afrika
Corvinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 02:58 PM   #4194
celevac

Likes (Received): 90

Yeah, it's ridiculous. Worst thing if you drive from Spielfeld on A9 towards Graz and on to Vienna on A2, especially in winter at night, when there are no cars around and you have to go 100 km/h for 60 km (from Leibnitz to Sinabelkirchen) on an empty 2x2 and 2x3 motorway.

Croatia isn't any better though, with 100 km/h on the entire motorway network during rainy periods....

winnipeg liked this post
celevac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 12:07 AM   #4195
bogdymol
bogdymod

In Romania is the maximum speed on motorways during rain is 80 km/h. It is good that we do not have so many motorways, as when you exit the motorway you can drive with 100 km/h during the same rain. Speak about stupid rules...

winnipeg, Fooxx67 liked this post
Old August 20th, 2016, 12:14 AM   #4196
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by celevac View Post
Yeah, it's ridiculous.
I think people living nearby have the right to clean air.

rudiwien, rheintram liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 01:50 AM   #4197
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

In Italy, where we have draining asphalt in much of our network, speed limit with rain is 110 and speed cameras are adjusted in case of rain.
110 il reasonable, 80 is ridiculosly low.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

winnipeg, bogdymol, Fooxx67 liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 02:44 AM   #4198
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
In Romania is the maximum speed on motorways during rain is 80 km/h. It is good that we do not have so many motorways, as when you exit the motorway you can drive with 100 km/h during the same rain. Speak about stupid rules...
I tought it was I mistake when I first saw this sign... 80km/h on highways...

I almost never saw anyone respect this limitation on rainy weather on romanian A1... (and not even me, I generaly cruise at 100-110km/h)

The french rain limitations on highways are the best for me : 110km/h
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 02:53 AM   #4199
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
I think people living nearby have the right to clean air.
Is it based on any serious study who showed that a small 20km/h could change so much? Or is it just an environmentalist car-o-phobic idea?

By the way a better way to promote a less poluted air would be to stop giving a tax exemption on diesel, in Austria diesel is not taxed according to the polution it produce, austrian diesel is one of the cheapest of western Europe and even compared to Hungary or Romania...

Meanwhile even France (a very pro-diesel country who gave an big tax advantage to it for decades also because of the big diesel industry they have) are deleting this tax exemption to push customers to buy more gasoline cars (who produce less toxic gazes)...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #4200
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
Is it based on any serious study who showed that a small 20km/h could change so much? Or is it just an environmentalist car-o-phobic idea?
http://service.salzburg.gv.at/lkorrj...&nachrid=56869

It works quite well in Salzburg. There was a 5-6 percent reduction due to the variable speed limits last year.

rudiwien, Slartibartfas liked this post
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria