daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2016, 05:19 PM   #4201
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1177

Gleinalmtunnel re-opens 2016/08/25, 14:00

ASFINGA confirmed today, Gleinalmtunnel will indeed open again on Thursday, at 14:00, see http://www.asfinag.at/newsroom/press...gleinalmtunnel (in German only)

Quote:
AM DONNERSTAG UM 14 UHR GIBT ES „GRÜNES LICHT“ FÜR DEN GLEINALMTUNNEL

Sanierung des Schadens 14 Tage früher fertig; wichtige Verkehrsverbindung wieder frei

Deutlich früher als ursprünglich vermutet und rechtzeitig vor dem letzten starken Reisewochenende im August kann die ASFINAG am Donnerstag, den 25. August, den Gleinalmtunnel auf der A 9 Pyhrn Autobahn wieder für den Verkehr freigeben. Der Tunnel war seit dem 4. August nach dem Brand eines Reisebusses gesperrt. Der Bus war etwa zwei Kilometer im Tunnel in eine Pannenbucht gefahren und dort voll ausgebrannt, Menschen kamen zum Glück und dank der zahlreichen Sicherheitseinrichtungen des Tunnels nicht zu Schaden. Am Bauwerk entstand aber ein hoher Schaden, den die ASFINAG auch durch die gute Zusammenarbeit mit den Baufirmen innerhalb von nur drei Wochen beheben konnte. Vor allem ein 40 Quadratmeter großer und 30 Tonnen schwerer Teil der Zwischendecke musste abgetragen und neu betoniert werden. Ursprünglich galt als frühestmöglicher Freigabetermin Ende der ersten Septemberwoche. Der reine Sachschaden – ohne den Entgang der Sondermaut – beträgt etwa 500.000 Euro.

„Am Donnerstag um 14 Uhr wird es daher auf dieser so wichtigen Nord-Süd-Verkehrsverbindung wieder ,grünes Licht‘ für den Verkehr geben", sagt ASFINAG-Geschäftsführer Gernot Brandtner. „Die größeren Bauarbeiten sind beendet, bis zur Freigabe werden jetzt noch Restarbeiten durchgeführt." Darunter fallen auch alle Tests der beim Brand zerstörten und neu eingebauten elektrotechnischen Ausstattungen (zum Beispiel Funk- und Brandmeldekabel, Beleuchtung). In der Nacht von Mittwoch auf Donnerstag wird die Baustelle komplett geräumt und der Tunnel in diesem Abschnitt gereinigt, danach werden Markierungen auf der Fahrbahn neu aufgebracht.

The estimated costs for the damages & repairs is stated to be 500,000 Euro, not including losses on the tunnel tolls, which are estimated to be ~3 million Euro.
I heard on the news, though, that ASFINAG in fact made slightly more money than with the tunnel open, as the detour via S35/S6 is longer, and the additional tolls for this detour paid for by trucks outweights the losses..

Last edited by rudiwien; August 24th, 2016 at 12:22 PM.
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2016, 06:22 PM   #4202
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
http://service.salzburg.gv.at/lkorrj...&nachrid=56869

It works quite well in Salzburg. There was a 5-6 percent reduction due to the variable speed limits last year.
It may works well, but traveling aroung Salzburg (like I did yesterday) on this 80km/h nice looking large highway is hell, it was certainly the most boring part of my whole road trip...

But the most ironic part is that meanwhile, they have this big airport that is only 2-3 km away from city center and closer than the highway... and also certainly the fact that a flight who is taking of from an airport is producing the same amount of pollution than 1000 cars on 25km...

Anyway, they are free to do whatever they want, but they shouldn't penalize the internationals travelers, and they should consider building another ring highway because puting all the traffic at 80km/h on an highway is not a solution...

WUff1 liked this post
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:53 PM   #4203
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8718

I'll forward your requests.
Old August 25th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #4204
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_AT View Post
good news, should be open Thursday 25 August again (only 3 weeks)

(german link) see pictures

http://www.kleinezeitung.at/steierma...71441078806102
Gleinalmtunnel - A9 - opened @ 2pm

Verso, bogdymol liked this post
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 05:34 PM   #4205
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

Around Innsbruck and further east there's also most of the time an IG-L 100 km/h limit imposed. Due to the valley, the air pollution is quite bad, as fumes aren't simply blown away. Between Innsbruck Mitte and Innsbruck Ost quite often 80 km/h are imposed, although the Autobahn there is 3+3 (partly even more), but with the big interchange and all the exits there traffic would otherwise collapse. Sometimes in the early morning the 80 km/h are already imposed around Hall in Tirol. The truck traffic towards Italy is so crazy, that's even dangerous to enter the Autobahn, because sometimes trucks totally block the right lane...
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 07:59 PM   #4206
Negjana

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipeg View Post
and they should consider building another ring highway because puting all the traffic at 80km/h on an highway is not a solution...
Sure let's build a second highway just so we can do 130 instead of 80!

Did you think about the financial aspect before you wrote that line? I'm sure you didn't.

And if you use simplest math, you will find out that doing 80 instead of 130 for 10 kilometers costs you an astounding 2 minutes 53 seconds.

Second motorway to save 3 minutes
Negjana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 09:35 PM   #4207
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negjana View Post
Sure let's build a second highway just so we can do 130 instead of 80!

Did you think about the financial aspect before you wrote that line? I'm sure you didn't.

And if you use simplest math, you will find out that doing 80 instead of 130 for 10 kilometers costs you an astounding 2 minutes 53 seconds.

Second motorway to save 3 minutes
I know it's a stupid idea, that why I wrote it...

Maybe, but the time traveled at 80 is 10 time more boring and you risk more to fall asleep (especially for all the international travelers that are going to/from eastern Europe... like me when I travel from France to Romania without big breaks (and alone), those IG-L at 80km/h and the work zones are the hardest to do for me...).

I think that it's still not normal to push a motorway slower than a austrian interurban road (100 km/h)....

And if the reason of this is to prevent traffic jams, then it's fine, but when there is no such risks and the traffic is fluid, it's only a nonsense, and they only pointed the wrong suspect, maybe because they wanted to protect the real environmental problems like the Airport who, once again, is way closer to the city center (I'm still talking about Salzburg) or home heating during winter for example.... than this highway...

But anyway, I only wanted to expose my point of view, hopefully the rest of the Austrian network is fine so far, let's hope taht it will remain like this !

Verso, celevac, Sentilj liked this post
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 11:52 PM   #4208
Negjana

Likes (Received): 144

If you can't handle 7 minutes of 80 km/h then maybe you are not suitable to drive a car.

And I don't think going from France to Romania without big breaks is smart either, but at least it wouldn't be me falling asleep and crashing, since I try to be sensible. And driving 1500km or more without big brakes is anything but sensible.

KingNick liked this post
Negjana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2016, 01:21 PM   #4209
rudiwien

A few pictures from ongoing/recent construction work in Austria

- A couple of weeks ago, pictures from the works on the A2/A23 Südosttangente around Inzersdorf in Vienna (see http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post133128460 for links to maps):
-- Driving on the part of the bridge/elevated motorway that is already done; as the new bridge has a slightly lower elevation, and is only partially built, at the moment, it is used only for reaching one of the exits ("Inzersdorf"); that means you have around 1km of driving on an otherwise rather empty, wide carriageway :-) :

-- Passing through under the A23:

- Still in Vienna, at the "Knoten Prater" the newly re-built "Erdberger Brücke", i.e. the bridges over the Donaukanal (a side-arm of the Danube, which once was the main arm, and has been adapted to be a water channel), was opened last night/today.
Construction work was extensive, and included building two new two-laned bridges up and downstream to take on traffic while the bridges, one at each time, were demolished. The new bridges from now on primarily serve as a replacement for the initial full clover-leave format of the interchange between the A4 and A23 motorways, which has thus also been upgraded to better connect A23 southbound -> A4 eastbound, and A23 northbound -> A4 westbound, and avoiding merge conflicts on A4.

See http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/48.19296/16.41795 and https://www.google.at/maps/@48.19275...!3m1!1e3?hl=de for maps/satellite images, and http://www.asfinag.at/unterwegs/baup...-knoten-prater for the ASFINAG website.

Of course, everybody was very confused while driving on this morning <7 am, and they still wanted to go mostly over the replacement bridges.. :-)

-- A bit before the bridge, northbound; the left three lanes go over the bridge, the other two lanes are used for connecting to the A4

-- Just before the "side-bridge" turns off

On the bridge, right joins the ramp from the A4 eastbound:

On the right, this is the former, now-closed (i.e. replaced by the bridge) clover-leaf style exit to connect to the A4 westbound:

Southbound:

On the right, the former exit to connect to the A4 eastbound:

Minor works are still going one, mostly in resurfacing the slipways between A4/A23, with closures of these ramps on several weekends.
It is interesting to note that this section opened approximately one year earlier than planned, due to using a special ship facilitating the demolation of the old bridge; this was done mostly in 3 days, instead of several months with a more traditional method, for each of the two bridges.
ASFINAG has a short video on that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw00sEBR05Q

- Finally, to Oberösterreich and the A9 in the area of the "Tunnelkette Klaus" between Klaus and St. Pankratz, which is still 1+1 over a series of tunnels (6.3km total) and bridges (700m). Full opening is expected for 2018, with switching traffic to the newly built tunnels from next year on, after which the old tunnels will be refurbished.
ASFINAG page: http://www.asfinag.at/unterwegs/baup...E_I8LKwiYWAPVa
Map: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/47.8096/14.1629

Driving north to south:

Work for the second carriageway after the last tunnel, seens a bit narrow to fit 2+2 with emergency lanes, let's see :-)

SRC_100, KingNick, Verso, bogdymol, winnipeg and 5 others liked this post

Last edited by rudiwien; August 29th, 2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old August 29th, 2016, 03:19 PM   #4210
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

When was that cloverleaf opened? Must be a few decades ago.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2016, 05:37 PM   #4211
rudiwien

The old Erdberg Bridge on A23 was built in the years 1970-1972, and the A4 opened around 30 years ago - so I'd I assume that they built most of the cloverleaf ramps then, though it is likely they envisioned & planned the interchange earlier.

Not that long ago, actually, but given the limited space, with the interchange sitting right above the Donaukanal, I think that the cloverleaf must have appeared as the by far superior option

While talking about interchanges on the A23 - all along the A23, there are preparations for much more motorways and interchanges visible still today:
- Two exits to the south of the Knoten prater, at the "Gürtel" (Vienna's beltway) exit, they planned to connect it to the "Gürtel Autobahn", which (luckily!) never materialised.
The exit is also peculiar as it has two ramps that connect from the Gürtel to the northbound A23, one that ends on the left, and one that ends on the right hand side of the carriageway. http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/48.17118/16.40011

- Just a bit further south, an interchange with the A3 was built, which would have become the Knoten Arsenal; as discussed just a few pages back, the A3 was never built to there, but finally connected to the A2 much further south-west (Guntramsdorf). The exit ramps are not physically blocked, but not signposted and marked, and the ramp supposedly ends w/o any option to get to lower-level streets. http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/48.17118/16.40011

There have been occasional discussions to open this at least as a motorway exit, but funds and local opposition from residents are most often cited as reasons against it happening.

Verso, Moravian liked this post
Old August 29th, 2016, 07:51 PM   #4212
Verso
Islander

This junction (A4×S1) looks like a mess. I see 4 abandoned ramps!
Old August 29th, 2016, 08:10 PM   #4213
Kemo

Likes (Received): 18788

It is prepared for the continuation of S1 further north.
Kemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2016, 09:06 PM   #4214
rudiwien

Yes, that would be the famous "Lobautunnel" plus connecting sections, see a map at http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3507985, and the ASFINAG page at http://www.asfinag.at/unterwegs/baup...93-sussenbrunn.

It passes under the Danube and the "Donau Auen" national park => environmental approval still not fully granted (objected in court), and politically disputed, especially from the Green party, which is part of the coalition government in Vienna.

EasySeven liked this post

Last edited by rudiwien; August 29th, 2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old August 29th, 2016, 10:21 PM   #4215
EasySeven

Likes (Received): 139

Ahhh, the Greens... I can't say I'm surprised tho. I bet they would be happy if we returned to the stone age so we could finally let the trees and birdies live in peace.

The one good thing about living in Bulgaria is that there are no Greens here.
EasySeven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #4216
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasySeven View Post

Ahhh, the Greens... I can't say I'm surprised tho. I bet they would be happy if we returned to the stone age so we could finally let the trees and birdies live in peace.

The one good thing about living in Bulgaria is that there are no Greens here.
Only in countries that are rich and developed for decades people complain against infrastructure.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2016, 10:46 PM   #4217
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17477

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post

While talking about interchanges on the A23 - all along the A23, there are preparations for much more motorways and interchanges visible still today:
- Two exits to the south of the Knoten prater, at the "Gürtel" (Vienna's beltway) exit, they planned to connect it to the "Gürtel Autobahn", which (luckily!) never materialised.
The exit is also peculiar as it has two ramps that connect from the Gürtel to the northbound A23, one that ends on the left, and one that ends on the right hand side of the carriageway. http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/48.17118/16.40011
[url=http://imgur.com/ZPp1Pl6]
I think google shows it clearly

https://www.google.pl/maps/@48.17130.../data=!3m1!1e3
Old August 30th, 2016, 12:44 AM   #4218
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
It is prepared for the continuation of S1 further north.
It doesn't look like the abandoned ramps will ever be used again. And apparently they will abandon another 2 ramps, which means 8 abandoned ramps (I overlooked 2 before) in a single (rather new) interchange. I see they've also abandoned a lane parallel to the A4.

Last edited by Verso; August 30th, 2016 at 01:03 AM.
Old August 30th, 2016, 01:42 PM   #4219
rudiwien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It doesn't look like the abandoned ramps will ever be used again. And apparently they will abandon another 2 ramps, which means 8 abandoned ramps (I overlooked 2 before) in a single (rather new) interchange. I see they've also abandoned a lane parallel to the A4.

Ok, I get now what you mean, though I am not sure how you count the 6+2 ramps . Also, it is not that new

So, here is the evolution of that interchange:

- Before the construction of the S1, the national road "B10" (which goes towards Bruck/Leitha and eventually Nickelsdorf) was already connecting to the A4 motorway at this location.

B10 was a 2+2 road for maybe 1,5 km southwards, where it had a signaled crossing with the B9 (which goes towards Hainburg and Bratislava). This intersectionis nowadays a roundabout on top of the S1, which itself is in a tunnel there: https://www.google.com/maps/@48.1369...4877809,15.34z

Because of B10 being a 2+2 and an important road, and anticipating a future connection to the north, they built the exit already like a cloverleaf interchange, albeit not yet asphalting all the connections that would only be needed of the B10 (now S1) continues northwards.
I have no proof that it was like that already mid-80s, but I would suspect so. Traffic volumes eastbound of Vienna at that time, with the iron curtain still up for a few years, were likely not making anyone think that a different interchange design would be required, and cloverleaf was regarded as a cheap and efficient model anyhow.

So, that part is not that new, rather >= 30 years.

- When S1 was constructed /(~2006), they added a new ramp for A4 westbound -> S1 westbound, because they wanted to build 2 lanes on that ramp, and not have the tight bend initially provided by the cloverleaf - because traffic volumes would be much higher than before, and cloverleaf anyhow has been identified to not be ideal in many cases.

They also reconfigured the S1 eastbound -> A4 eastbound ramp, because it now also became two-laned, and I think they wanted at least one lane to merge before the bridge over the Schwechat river.

- After opening of the S1, there have been quite a number of accidents on the interchange, and they decided to straighten the S1 eastbound -> A4 eastbound ramp. Also, there was more traffic than probalby expected on the S1 eastbound -> A4 westbound relation, and also a very narrow turn, so they also reconfigured that ramp to be 2 lanes with a slightly smoother bend.

Thus, currently, I can see the following unused ramps:

- one complete ramp (north-west) unused (#1)
- one complete ramp in the south-east unused (#2)
- half a ramp in the south-east unused (#3)
- A remainder, maybe one-quarter of a ramp, unused on the north-east (#4)

When the S1 is continued northwards, the ramp #8 in the north-east connecting A4->S1 needs to be reconfigured, for sure. I think the design is that this will become simply a wider arch, passing over the S1 when it is still in the tunnel (which will really start right after the motorways cross), and part of that current ramp will be used for the A4 eastbound -> S1 northbound ramp.

I would also expect that they would provide a non-cloverleaf ramp for the S1 (south)-west bound -> A4 eastbound and A4, as that is the intended bypass route for vehicles from the north, instead of using A23 and A4. However, the current ramp for that is not really built (#5) (but likely what you mean with the "abandoned parallel lane to the A4", they built that already, likely to not have to widen the bridge later (#6))

The plans indicate that the current S1 eastbound -> A4 eastbound ramp (in the north-easter quadrant, #7) will also be reconfigured.

Luki_SL, Verso, Sentilj liked this post
Old August 30th, 2016, 01:56 PM   #4220
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11831

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
(even though there are not that many left in Austria anymore..)
Its only two 2x1 laned tunnels left on Austrian motorways, both on A9, right?
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria