daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #4221
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I didn't know that interchange was so old; I thought it was from 2006.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2016, 06:31 PM   #4222
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFrost View Post
Its only two 2x1 laned tunnels left on Austrian motorways, both on A9, right?
A9 the 2 sections:
Gleinalm - complete 2019
Klaus ( 4 Tunnels) - complete 2018

A11:
Karawanken - complete 2022

S16:
Arlberg - no twining to less traffic - no upgrade coming, at the moment summer blocking und refurbishment ongoing

Dalaas - no twining - to less traffic
Perjen - complete 2019
--> S16 generall to less traffic, upgrade to 2+2 only like the old one have to be renovated, build the second for keeping the traffic flowing and after it have 2+2

JackFrost, Luki_SL liked this post
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 10:44 PM   #4223
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_AT View Post
--> S16 generall to less traffic, upgrade to 2+2 only like the old one have to be renovated, build the second for keeping the traffic flowing and after it have 2+2
Could this happen to Arlberg and Dalaas too? When are their next renovations?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2016, 11:22 AM   #4224
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1161

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Could this happen to Arlberg and Dalaas too? When are their next renovations?

Regarding Arlberg, I have a slight deja-vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
Regarding the Arlbergtunnel on the S16, currently it is around 8.000 vehicles a day.
It is an important tunnel mostly for that fact that it guarantees a passage during winter, when the pass is often closed, especially to heavier vehicles. But obvioulsy the AADT doesn't warrant a duplication.

Also, if there was even the slightes motivation for a duplication, it would have been now: due to safety regulations, they are working since last year to improve the escape tunnels, to the railway tunnel. This meant last year a complete closure of the tunnel in summer, and also this summer, closures happen almost daily from 21:00 to 05:00. The money invested in the safety upgrade, plus the loss in toll income, still doesn't seem to be enough to make a duplication feasible.. With this emergency escape upgrades, I also don't think duplication will come in the next decade(s).

Also, the ASFINAG page regarding the current Arlberg tunnel works (http://www.asfinag.at/arlbergtunnel#Zweite%20R%C3%B6hre) states:

Quote:
Warum baut die ASFINAG keine zweite Röhre beim Arlbergtunnel?

Die ASFINAG ist ein rein nutzerfinanziertes Unternehmen und erhält neben den Einnahmen aus Vignetten, Lkw- und Sondermaut keinerlei Zuschüsse aus dem Staatsbudget. Beim Arlbergtunnel werden derzeit rund 8.000 Fahrzeuge pro Tag registriert – auch in der Prognose erreicht diese Strecke nicht den Wert von durchschnittlich 20.000 Fahrzeugen pro Tag (Summe beider Richtungsfahrbahnen). Denn: Erst ab dieser Frequenz ist nach dem Straßentunnelsicherheitsgesetz der Bau einer zweiten Röhre vorgeschrieben. Deswegen investiert die ASFINAG 160 Millionen Euro, um die Sicherheit für täglich 8.000 Autofahrer zu erhöhen.

Slightly abbreviated translation:
Quote:
Why does Asfinag not build a second tube at the Arlberg?

ASFINAG gets their revenue only from road users (Vignette, truck tolls, special tolls (for tunnels)), and no additional money from the state. Arlbergtunnel has approx 8.000 AADT, and even in forecasts it doesn't reach the mark of 20.000 AADT which would mandate a second tube, by regulations of the laws for tunnel safety.
Therefore, ASFINAG invests 160 million EUR for the current safety upgrade.

I am not sure how much a second tube would cost, but here are the costs of recently finished/ongoing/future duplication of tunnels:
- Bosruck: 280 million EUR, for 5,5 km tunnel and 2km of other road, of which approx 1km bridges
- Gleinalm: 243 million EUR, for approx 8,3 km tunnel, and one really short bridge.
- Karawanken: 310 million EUR, for approx 7,9 km tunnel and one bridge of 350m.

Arlberg has a total length of almost 14km (in actually two separate tunnels, see http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/47.1252/10.2610).
=> So I'd say the cost of 160 million EUR is at most a third of the cost of duplication. If you'd factor in maybe losses for not being able to charge tolls for the two summers of complete closure (2015 and 2017), plus for night closures, this still seems to be too far off to make the duplication financially viable for ASFINAG. I am also not sure whether some of the costs of 160 million EUR are maybe covered by the Railway, as it also improves emergency facilities in the railway tunnel...

For the Dalaas tunnel, I could only find in the ASFINAG 2016-2021 framework plan that a renovation and safety improvements are planned for September 2017 - September 2020, for 34,2 million EUR (the tunnel is 2km long), but it doesn't mention a duplication.
Further noteworthy regarding S16 in that framework plan are sections of additional lanes between Bludenz and Dalaas. This currently is 1+1, so parts of it will likely become 2+1.

Ices77 liked this post
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2016, 11:05 PM   #4225
MichiH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
Regarding Arlberg, I have a slight deja-vu
I know that Arlberg tunnel is currently renovated. That's why I was surprised by Christian's statement. Maybe I got him wrong...

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old September 1st, 2016, 11:09 PM   #4226
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

I drove there last year in late December. It was open...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2016, 11:30 PM   #4227
MichiH

It was closed from 21st April to 14th November 2015 and it will be closed from 18th April 2017 to 26th September 2017 (source; click "Zeitplan" radio button on the left).

Old September 1st, 2016, 11:35 PM   #4228
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1161

Plus this year, several closures in the night from 20.00 to 5.00 next morning; not always, e.g. when there was (fresh) snow on the pass, or other weather circumstances not allowing an easy passage, but otherwise you could constantly hear that in the traffic announcements :-)

In the upcoming winter season (starting November) till the complete closure 2017, they will also work in the night, but not completely closing, just alternatively closing one lane.
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #4229
Ices77

Likes (Received): 867

S8

Hello guys, are there any recent info about S8 Marchfeld Expressway/Marchfeld Schnellstrasse? At least the first section to Gansendorf, thanx.
Ices77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 10:04 PM   #4230
MichiH

There's a project page.

If you can't read German: EIA documents were published in March 2016, hearings of objections were in April and May 2016. A final hearing will be in November 2016. Afterwards, EIA could be passed. Constructions work might begin in 2018 and the road might be opened in 2020.

S8 is useless without S1 which also has a project page. The construction of Groß Enzersdorf - Süßenbrunn section might begin in 2017 (to be completed in 2019) but complaints are pending with a court...

Old September 10th, 2016, 10:32 PM   #4231
Ices77

Likes (Received): 867

I follow the project page, every year, however, the construction start is delayed. I am not saying it is not with some projects in my country as well... . How about adjacent section Gansendorf - A/SK border?
Ices77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2016, 11:02 PM   #4232
MichiH

http://www.bmvit.gv.at/verkehr/strasse/autostrasse/s8/

Quote:
Mit den Einreichplanungen für den Abschnitt Ost von der Anschlussstelle Obersiebenbrunn/Gänserndorf (L 9) bis zur Staatsgrenze bei Marchegg soll im Anschluss an den Abschnitt West begonnen werden.
The "approval planning procedure" for the eastern section should(!) begin directly after the western section.

I guess it means that planning procedure should begin when all permits for the western section are completed but it could also mean that it should begin after the completion of the western section.

Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:56 PM   #4233
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

The federal court has rejected the appeals against the construction of the eastern part of S7 from Dobersdorf to the Hungarian border near Heiligenkreuz. It is 13.5 km long and will cost € 145 million.

A verdict is expected this year for the western segment from A2 to Dobersdorf. This part is 14.8 km long.

http://www.asfinag.at/newsroom?-1007...side-view-full

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Verso, Luki_SL, winnipeg liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 08:32 PM   #4234
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

https://www.thelocal.at/20161017/res...g-sex-hotspots
WTF?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 08:43 PM   #4235
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Yeah this has happened in the Netherlands as well. They want to keep the rest areas family-friendly (and not have it littered with used condoms).
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2016, 11:10 PM   #4236
italystf

If they want clean rest areas, they should provide free toilets, like in Italy. In Austria and Slovenia they charge 0.50€, that must be payed with a 50c coin to be put in a machine, in Hungary it's 200HUF, that it's even more annoying to foreign drivers as they often don't carry Hungarian currency with them.
Litter is an issue too, but nothing is more disgusting to walk across a parking lot scattered with bodily waste in a hot summer day, and then step into your car with dirty shoes.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old October 18th, 2016, 01:12 AM   #4237
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
If they want clean rest areas, they should provide free toilets, like in Italy. In Austria and Slovenia they charge 0.50€, that must be payed with a 50c coin to be put in a machine, in Hungary it's 200HUF, that it's even more annoying to foreign drivers as they often don't carry Hungarian currency with them.
Litter is an issue too, but nothing is more disgusting to walk across a parking lot scattered with bodily waste in a hot summer day, and then step into your car with dirty shoes.
That's nonsense. Italian rest areas are always soiled.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 07:14 PM   #4238
čarli

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
One week ago I stopped at one rest area near Sziget and it was for free

Nimróad liked this post
čarli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 07:27 PM   #4239
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
That's nonsense. Italian rest areas are always soiled.
Imagine how would they be if people had to pay for toilet...
Old October 18th, 2016, 08:49 PM   #4240
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

Quote:
Imagine how would they be if people had to pay for toilet...
Uhm, cleaner?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria