daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2016, 02:07 AM   #4261
Balkanada
why worry?

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by rower2000 View Post
Actually it's the same in Austria. On rest areas which charge for toilet access (usually the larger ones which also include gas stations and restaurants), you get a 0,50 € voucher for the 0,50 € you spent on toilet access. This is valid for one year and can be used on any rest area within Austria.

The smaller rest areas without a contractor for food and gas, i.e. those maintained by Asfinag itself, do not charge any money for toilet access.
This was the biggest shock for me in Austria

When I had just landed in Vienna, left all my stuff in the hotel room and started exploring the city centre I really needed to use the toilet so I went into some random McDonald's, when I saw some turnstile that would only let me enter if I inserted a 50 cent coin

The voucher thing confused me too, I thought it could get me a refund but apparently it could only be used as a discount... so I already bought a sundae just to get myself the 50 cent coin (had no change since I just landed) and didn't even get to reimburse afterwards
Balkanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2016, 11:08 AM   #4262
stickedy

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I think it costs 70 cent and you can cash 50 cent at the overpriced shops. I'm not sure because I usually go to PWCs or McD restaurants et cetera. I drove a lot on Autobahns in 2015/16 but I think I've only paid 70 cent once and I let the ticket in the machine so that anyone else could cash it at the shop...
Yes, maybe. I don't spend money there also... If it's 100 Cent and 80 Cent or 70 Cent and 50 Cent doesn't matter. Rip-off stays rip-off
stickedy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 07:20 AM   #4263
alesmarv

Likes (Received): 28

2 euro for a bathroom and I am pissing on the nearest tree or wall. Out of principal. And I am not young by any stretch of the imagination. Have Austrians become so weak that they just take it and actually pay up instead of just pissing on the wall of the building in protest if nothing else?
alesmarv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 09:42 AM   #4264
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
2 euro for a bathroom and I am pissing on the nearest tree or wall. Out of principal. And I am not young by any stretch of the imagination. Have Austrians become so weak that they just take it and actually pay up instead of just pissing on the wall of the building in protest if nothing else?
No. I guess that they are just well-educated.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 10:14 AM   #4265
toonczyk
autostradożerca

I never knew pissing on walls and stinking up public places could be a matter of civil disobedience.

rheintram liked this post
toonczyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 12:49 AM   #4266
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Some years ago the, now defunct, mapping service norc.ro offered street view service of Vienna. Are those imagery still somewhere else available on the net or have they been fully deleted? I know that any street view service is now illegal under Austrian law, and maybe it's the reason why norc.ro was shut down.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2016, 12:01 AM   #4267
winnipeg

Likes (Received): 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by rower2000 View Post
Actually it's the same in Austria. On rest areas which charge for toilet access (usually the larger ones which also include gas stations and restaurants), you get a 0,50 € voucher for the 0,50 € you spent on toilet access. This is valid for one year and can be used on any rest area within Austria.

The smaller rest areas without a contractor for food and gas, i.e. those maintained by Asfinag itself, do not charge any money for toilet access.
I don't understand why they do this and I didn't understood the first time I went in Austria by roads...

Because in France (and in other countries), they are (in my opinion) smarter, they provide a free access to toilets (which, by the way, probably don't cost that much in cleaning...) and while you came for this natural and evident need, you will purchase other things like coffee or gas or food, etc... This way, it feels way more natural to me! I hate the Austrian way, having to pay for the basic service and having a voucher who push you to buy something or loosing you money is simply stupid to me...

But one time, this poor situation pushed me to go outside of the highway to see how gas station were, and I was not disapointed, the gas is WAY WAY cheaper and they offer a free access to toilets, simply incredible Those austrian highway gas station are a pure stealing in any possible way...
winnipeg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 08:15 PM   #4268
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

The A3 extension to Hungary is coming into play again: http://www.heute.at/freizeit/motor/A...t23669,1364115

For what it's worth, the poll by Heute.at has an 83% 'yes' vote for the motorway extension.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2016, 11:59 PM   #4269
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 924

About this toilet thing: On ASFINAG rest areas it's obviously free. However, there are many rest areas that are operated by private companies (Rosenberger or OMV etc.). For years these private subcontractors have lobbied for being allowed to charge for toilet use. Then some even started to introduce it, which led to criticism by ASFINAG, touring clubs etc. ASFINAG even considered taking the matter to court but apparently their contracts didn't have any clause or provision for the matter so they feared they might lose. In the end an agreement was found: The voucher system. These vouchers are valid in ANY rest area and are valid for a year.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 10:07 AM   #4270
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A5: Poysbrunn – Schrick 25km (April 2015 to Late 2017) – projectmap
Quote:
"Der Bau geht zügig voran und es wird mit Volldampf gearbeitet, damit die Eröffnung der A 5 im Dezember 2017 stattfindet"
The construction is proceeding well and they work hard so that A5 opening will take place in December 2017.

http://www.asfinag.at/newsroom/press...chritten-voran

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #4271
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1161

Regarding the A5 extension, in the lack of other up-to-date photos, a few photos collected from various press releases & articles in the last few months:

- Map overview of the section by ASFINAG

- Interchange at Walterskirchen, here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/48.6520/16.6945

(Photo: Kurier)

- Bridge of the relocated B7, on the lower-left part the works on the motorway, north of Schrick: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/48.5303/16.6296

(Photo: ORF/ASFINAG)

- Bridge at the Wilfersdorf Süd interchange, a rather old image, though, traffic is going over that bridge since several months: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/48.5628/16.6353

- In late summer, they found the fossils of tusks of a giant mammoth:

(Photo: ASFINAG)

- A few images from June 2016, from the section between Wilfersdorf and Walterskirchen: http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/48.6334/16.6819

(Photos: NÖN)
Old December 27th, 2016, 01:02 PM   #4272
Ices77

Likes (Received): 867

Countdown to new Marchfeld expressway:
https://www.w24.at/Nachrichten/247918

S8 construction start could in 2019 begin. Actualised info on ASFINAG page: http://www.asfinag.at/unterwegs/baup...bersiebenbrunn

SRC_100 liked this post
Ices77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 03:47 PM   #4273
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ices77 View Post
Countdown to new Marchfeld expressway:
https://www.w24.at/Nachrichten/247918

S8 construction start could in 2019 begin. Actualised info on ASFINAG page: http://www.asfinag.at/unterwegs/baup...bersiebenbrunn
Will it be a second motorway link between Vienna and Bratislava?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old December 27th, 2016, 04:47 PM   #4274
Ices77

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Will it be a second motorway link between Vienna and Bratislava?
It most probably will, however, construction start of the first part of S8 is a perequisite as well as construction continuation of the second Vienna ring up to the north. Nevertheless, county Niederosterreich financed already part of the study of S8. Bratislavský kraj county also could be more initiative to find out at least temporary solution to the road connection between these cities north of Danube. Bridge across March/Morava river as part of the future expressway connecting roads of both countries could be one of the solutions.
Old December 27th, 2016, 10:15 PM   #4275
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1161

Sorry to break your enthusiasms, but hold your horses a little while :-)

First, the news report you quote here is from August, and it just says that the ASFINAG (the motorway operating company) has finished their planning.

Meanwhile, the environmental approval (Umweltverträglichkeitsprüfung, UVP) hearing has still been ongoing, there have been several additional hearings, because more information has been requested from ASFINAG. See e.g. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...9&postcount=99 for a report (in German).

So it might take a few more months for the UVP verdict to be published. Assuming the environmental approval is given, you can bet on an appeal being filed - and that can take easily up to another year. I have seen a few that took >= 1.5 years (though recently one appeal was rejected after "just" 6 months). So given previous experiences, this procedure could easily last well into 2018.
Once the appeal would be rejected, you still need a few more permissions to be granted, though they are normally not that an obstacle once the UVP is legal.
If all that goes well, 2019 is a potential (but rather optimistic) start.

But around 3 years ago, ASFINAG was quoting "2nd half 2014 on their page", and even that was a deadline pushed back a few times already. So, I wouldn't take an update on the ASFINAG website to 2019 for a realistic term just yet..

Secondly, all the planning is only for around half the way to the border, to "Obersiebenbrunn", see the map below:

There is no indicative route, detailed planning, timeframe, or financial commitment for the second part.

Finally, yes, as mentioned by Ices, for the S8 to be connected to any other motorway on the existing network, also the S1, the "outer ring motor/expressway" around Vienna, needs to be continued, and the piece in question that is required also contains the (in)famous Lobau-tunnel under the Danube wetlands national park - see the map below:

There is already an UVP issued for that part since March 2015, but it is contested, and there is no verdict yet. Also, there is (again!) political talk about it, because the green party which is in the coalition in Vienna is opposing the tunnel, and they'd like an alternative Danube crossing (likely a bride) - but that then does not connect towards the S8, but rather to the A23/A222 interchange "Kaisermühlen" in Vienna (in the image above, just visible on the left edge as "Knoten Kaisermühlen").

In this case, even if S8 still gets build, you likely a new environmental approval for the section that would be "taken over" from the S1 plans.. That can take many years as well...

pmaciej7 liked this post

Last edited by rudiwien; December 27th, 2016 at 11:41 PM.
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2016, 11:50 PM   #4276
Negjana

Likes (Received): 144

Nobody needs this stupid road!!!

There are 2 perfectly straight railways in the region that have a lot of potential for additional services and increased frequencies! But the southern one, which is the shortest connection between Vienna and Bratislava by rail, still hasn't been modernized and improved since the fall of communism!

rheintram liked this post
Negjana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2016, 12:06 AM   #4277
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negjana View Post
Nobody needs this stupid road!!!

There are 2 perfectly straight railways in the region that have a lot of potential for additional services and increased frequencies! But the southern one, which is the shortest connection between Vienna and Bratislava by rail, still hasn't been modernized and improved since the fall of communism!
Roads and railways aren't mutually exclusive.
Old December 28th, 2016, 01:35 AM   #4278
Negjana

Of course not, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to build a commuting motorway and then expect numbers to rise on the shitty railway...........
Old December 29th, 2016, 10:21 PM   #4279
Ices77

Before possibly another green, or railway enthusiast tries to bash road, motorways projects, well maybe it is up to moderation team to decide, let me answer rudi´s post.

These detailed facts are good information. Generally roads and motorway in densely urbanised areas are much more complicated when it comes to approvals. With strong green lobby in city government thumbs up so that at least the part of motorway/expressway projects will get their construction started. Also in Bratislava, regarding D4, the nearer the city center, the more approval problems usually.

I think, however that section Gansendorf - SK border has at least a kind of technical study and the route is more or less fixed. But ASFINAG also does not have leaflet information for this section, so it seems it is really a long term issue.
Old December 31st, 2016, 12:17 AM   #4280
Negjana

I'm not a environmentalist, for your info.

Projects like the Nord Autobahn are extremely senseful and important. But the S8 is just a waste of money, you do not need motorways for commuters. And I don't believe it will do a good job of relieving the cities along the B8.

But go on, discredit me and call me a green if you prefer that, I don't care.

Tags
austria