daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2017, 03:46 PM   #4361
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1154

Well, there aren't many news regarding A5 itself, all is set to be opened December 2017. I haven't passed by in some months... but might go by relatively soon.

In the meantime, I found some pictures published by the consortium building the last lot ("Baulos 5" in the map below) from Walterskirchen including the Poysbrunn interchange (http://hochtief.at/projekte/a5-nordw...bschnitt-4-noe).

From mid-March 2017:

From mid-January 2017:

Shows really good progress on the structures in these two months, especially considering that this lot was the last one that started work.

There are also older pictures from 2016 showing earthworks etc. at that website (http://hochtief.at/projekte/a5-nordw...bschnitt-4-noe)

--

Related news, but no so positive, are from the Drasenhofen bypass, which is the last village before the border, and thus the final bottleneck, see the map:

This will be built as a single-carriageway, until demand increases. Due to this decision a few years back to not build it as motorway standard, they had to restart some of the approval procedures.
Initially, they wanted to open the bypass in 2018, now it is likely they could start construction end of this year (still some approvals to be confirmed in court), and finish in the second half of 2019.

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2017, 10:29 AM   #4362
Ices77

Likes (Received): 867

B50

I got a inquiry, guys, whether there will be any continuation of bypasses on Bundesstrasse B50. Schutzen am Gebirge bypass has been opened lately, but I did not find any information about the continuation of bypasses construction along B 50.

I think even in 1973, in approved Bundesverkehrsplan the plan was even to have motorway, or expressway along Neusiedler See up to SVK border, Neusiedlerschnellstrasse? As of 2017 from these route there are just five village bypasses missing: Jois, Winden am See, Breitenbrunn, Purbach and Donnerskirchen. Other parts were covered by A6, A4, B50 and S31 up to A2.
I mean this route will even more facilitate the transport from SVK, or Poland to southern Austria, SLO, CRO, or Italy. Current route A6/A4/S1/A2 is not a bad option, but a little longer, than route along Neusielder See, which I sometimes use, when travelling to southern Austria, or Italy.
Ices77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 02:49 PM   #4363
rudiwien

B50

Short answer ad B50: I don't think so in the near/medium future, I didn't hear anything, and the example of Schützen am Gebirge is rather a deterrent...

- Initial plans indeed were for a "Neusiedler See Autobahn", but they realised at some point that they don't want a transit corridor along there.
- Later it was planned to extend the S31 from Eisenstadt Ost to Schützen am Gebirge, likely as a 2+2 road.
- Instead around 2010, this was changed to just the bypass road, which opened 2014.
- But, there are/were some issues with this road. The state of Burgenland decided that now environmental impact assessment is needed for the bypass road; but they didn't inform land-owns on that decision, which therefore had no possibility to object against that. Subsequently, a number of land owners sued against expropriation. Their appeal was successful, so in 2016 the land was rightfully returned to them, and there were even fears that the road needs to be demolished.. (also, the permits required according to water law were revoked in court).

Just recently they got a settlement (for an undisclosed sum, though), and as a consequence of that agreement, likely the speed limit will change to 70.

(also in the south of S31, the extension was converted to a 1+1 bypass road, from Oberpullendorf to (close to the) border near Köszeg, see http://www.openstreetmap.org/relatio...7.4648/16.6484)
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2017, 11:46 PM   #4364
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Some shots of A1 widening (2x2-->2x3) b/n Wien and Linz I made cca. 2 months ago but forgot

Old May 7th, 2017, 10:09 PM   #4365
rudiwien

Some pictures from the construction along the S36 in and around Unzmarkt (Source: http://www.kleinezeitung.at/steierma...usbau-der-S-36).

The major piece of work is the tunnel unter the town of Unzmarkt, similar to the tunnel under St. Georgen (see this post for a video: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=4115), which was completed ~1.5 years ago, and relocation of the river "Mur" for ~500 meters.
Project details (in German) here: http://www.asfinag.at/unterwegs/baup...E_j7blkptlhsV5, for the route, see http://www.asfinag.at/documents/1018...6-b273e88e4d4b

Luki_SL, Ices77, SRC_100, Highway89, ilyan and 4 others liked this post
Old May 22nd, 2017, 07:14 PM   #4366
rudiwien

Mostly politicians (and other important people) to be seen in the picture, but - asphalting works on A5 Nordautobahn Schrick-Poysbrunn are under way!

Article in German: http://www.noen.at/mistelbach/walter...on-asphaltiert

Luki_SL, SRC_100, kubazie88 liked this post
Old June 16th, 2017, 04:00 PM   #4367
rudiwien

Pictures from laying concrete on the A5 Nordautobahn Schrick-Poysbrunn, specifically from the area around Walterskirchen (see http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/48.6432/16.7128)

The machine produces a 13m wide band (so one dual-laned carriageway including shoulder) of 600m length per day. By mid-September, all works for the surface along the entire 34km section should be finished. Opening is scheduled for December 2nd.
Old June 16th, 2017, 04:04 PM   #4368
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

I wish this motorway would be opened month before... but beside this, great news

What`s about Drasenhofen`s bypass?
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2017, 05:52 PM   #4369
rudiwien

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRC_100 View Post

What`s about Drasenhofen`s bypass?

See my post a bit above, nothing new on the status- construction to start this year in winter, opening 2019:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
Related news, but no so positive, are from the Drasenhofen bypass, which is the last village before the border, and thus the final bottleneck, see the map:

This will be built as a single-carriageway, until demand increases. Due to this decision a few years back to not build it as motorway standard, they had to restart some of the approval procedures.
Initially, they wanted to open the bypass in 2018, now it is likely they could start construction end of this year (still some approvals to be confirmed in court), and finish in the second half of 2019.

Still not having all the permits, though, some were appealed against, so that timeline still has some uncertainties ...

SRC_100 liked this post
Old June 17th, 2017, 12:00 AM   #4370
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

have still hope left that the drassenhofen bypass is NOT built in this stupid setting, what to i mean:

-> nobody needs the temporary Drassenhofen south roundabout
(local traffic can use the new exit Drassenhofen west instead with no disadvantages)
-> save the money on the temporary Drassenhofen north roundabout

-> use the saved money (and probably a little bit more) to build the future Drassenhofen north exit

-> benefits:
+ no traffic disrupting roundabouts
+ future Drassenhofen north already exists, save a lot of money at the full upgrade

Sentilj liked this post
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 12:58 AM   #4371
rudiwien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_AT View Post
have still hope left that the drassenhofen bypass is NOT built in this stupid setting, what to i mean:

-> nobody needs the temporary Drassenhofen south roundabout
(local traffic can use the new exit Drassenhofen west instead with no disadvantages)
-> save the money on the temporary Drassenhofen north roundabout

-> use the saved money (and probably a little bit more) to build the future Drassenhofen north exit

-> benefits:
+ no traffic disrupting roundabouts
+ future Drassenhofen north already exists, save a lot of money at the full upgrade

That sounds like a very valid argument; not sure what is in the environmental impact assessment plans (I think they are only about the bypass, not about the future potential motorway duplication), so it might not be too easy to change the layout. In any case, maybe worth writing to ASFINAG?

Funnily, on http://www.asfinag.at/verkehrssicher...g-drasenhofen/, they talk about a grade-separated and no-traffic-lights bypass; maybe they consider roundabouts differently, or they talk up the project, or maybe maybe maybe they already plan it w/o roundabouts?
Old June 17th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #4372
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2081

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
Funnily, on http://www.asfinag.at/verkehrssicher...g-drasenhofen/, they talk about a grade-separated and no-traffic-lights bypass; maybe they consider roundabouts differently, or they talk up the project, or maybe maybe maybe they already plan it w/o roundabouts?
Are you talking about this statement:

Quote:
Durch den Bau der ampel- und kreuzungsfreien Umfahrung bei Drasenhofen
It just means "without traffic lights and junctions" (although kreuzungsfrei is usually translated "grade-separted")...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2017, 11:07 PM   #4373
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

They probably didn't count the two roundabouts, because they're placed at the beginning and the end of the bypass, respectively. Between the roundabouts there is indeed no at-grade interchange planned, just a grade-separated interchange Drasenhofen west.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2017, 11:38 PM   #4374
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Random pictures through Austria. Heading South from CZ border to Wien and then Tarvisio (I).

1. I'll start with Latvi.., Drasenhofen village on the B7 after the Czech border. Incredible that there are still no bypass roads built during all these years on this important route. Can't imagine the daily life in these houses, as hundreds of trucks pass here almost every day.

2. Luckly, a few of these villages will be saved. This is before Poysdorf.

BTW, I did not capture the long ass stau after this curve before Poysdorf.

3. Bau!

4. Schneller!! The views here are quite scenic. Those fields look captivating.

5. Dusty.

6. Along the U/C A5.

7. On the motorway. This was the first time I saw this A5 segment, I have travelled here back in 2005, when there was just this 2-laned rural road all the way to Wien.

8. Neat.

9. Distant view.

10. Hallo Leben as in Hello Life. Informative sign reminding to wear seatbelt.

11. Wien skyline on the horizon.

12. View towards the A5 (Wien) from the overpass to Raststation (The roadside rest area).

13. Different day. I skipped several places due to bad weather. This is the A2 autobahn in Graz with roadworks. It's the first time I was heading in direction to Italy on this route, as I mentioned above, I have travelled here in 2005 as a passenger, and in 2014 as the driver.

14. View towards the A2 from a watch tower at one of the rest areas near Twimberg.

15. On the same bridge above.

16. Endless viaducts. Very scenic places.

17. Near Klagenfurt.

18. Autobahn along Wörthersee (lake), after Klagenfurt.

19. Beautiful clouds and the view itself.

20. Approaching this.. important.. junction (Knoten/Kreuz Villach, A2xA10).

21. We continue to ignore Slowenien, and head towards Italien.

22. 3 lanes out of nowhere..

23. Last moments in Austria near Arnoldstein..

24. ..and we're in Italy.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 09:31 PM   #4375
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
Random pictures through Austria. Heading South from CZ border to Wien and then Tarvisio (I).

22. 3 lanes out of nowhere..

https://www.google.at/maps/@46.55725.../data=!5m1!1e4

reason there are mountains and if there is a short hard climb piece a lane more is quite useful, you shot your picture direct after the exit hermagor after the gailitz bridge driving south direction, more than 30m up follow direct after the picture

nice pics

Luki_SL, RipleyLV liked this post
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 03:12 AM   #4376
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Am I the only being bothered by this "Salzburg (D)"?

Sentilj liked this post
OulaL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #4377
Sentilj

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post
We´ve got same on D1 motorway = Košice (H)
Sentilj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 11:35 AM   #4378
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

it means you can drive to salzburg and germany , i suppose
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2017, 11:59 AM   #4379
rudiwien

Quote:
Originally Posted by OulaL View Post

I think so, yes

I see nothing wrong with that, don't think people will make an association that Salzburg is in Germany... And obviously, it is more important to announce Salzburg as the major town along the route than to write "Deutschland"..
Old June 29th, 2017, 03:00 AM   #4380
OulaL

Likes (Received): 121

Well, there is another sign to "Udine (I) / Villach", similarily there could be "München (D) / Salzburg"...

Tags
austria