daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2017, 08:34 PM   #4421
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

No, concrete on top of asphalt.

http://www.noen.at/mistelbach/schric...atz/50.716.781

Quote:
Der Betondecken-Fertiger bringt [...] Beton [...] auf den mit Asphalt vorbereiteten Untergrund auf.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Verso liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2017, 08:41 PM   #4422
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

what is the reason for that?
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 08:52 PM   #4423
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1170

As I have seen it onsite and from previous pictures
- there was first a bitumen stabilisation layer (maybe also actually asphalt on top of that, but rather not)
- then on top of that the concrete, with these machines:

Regarding the picture in question:

It was said that the concrete laying would be finished by mid September, so, it might be that the left layer is the lower one, BEFORE putting the concrete.

We will know for sure in ~3 Months; rumour has it that the opening date is December 8th, though ASFINAG has not yet officially released a specific date.

Highway89, SRC_100, Verso, Shenkey liked this post
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #4424
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

It's a pilot scheme of the TU Vienna.

https://solidbau.at/a/aufwaendigstes...ichs-a5-neubau

Quote:
Stark vereinfacht sieht die neue Übergangsonstruktion so aus: Unter der Fahrbahn versteckt ist eine Schlepp-Plattenkonstruktion, die aus aneinandergereihten Betonschwellen besteht. Die Schwellen werden als trogförmige Betonfertigteile vorgefertigt, durch Zugglieder miteinander verbunden und auf einer Gleitschicht verlegt. Die Zugglieder hängen mit einem Ende im Brückentragwerk und mit dem anderen im Widerlagerblock. Oben drüber kommt eine spezielle Membran (stress absorbing membrane interlayer), und darüber schließlich der bituminöse Fahrbahnaufbau. Wenn sich nun die Brücke verformt – und das können auf einer Länge von 112 Metern immerhin mehrere Handbreit werden – passen sich die Fugen zwischen den Betonelementen an, und der bituminöse Asphalt ebenfalls. „Die gesamte Betonschwellenkonstruktion und der spezielle Asphalt nehmen wie ein Gummiband die Bewegung auf“, so Brückenexperte Kleiser.
However, I've no idea what that means

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 08:58 PM   #4425
rudiwien

But that is only for the bridges on the motorway - basically they avoid using expansion joints to minimise maintenance costs, and they do this for longer bridges than it has been usually done before.

The pictures in question are all from bridges above the motorway, which has no influence on the top layer they use..
Old September 6th, 2017, 09:26 PM   #4426
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
rumour has it that the opening date is December 8th, though ASFINAG has not yet officially released a specific date.
No chance for 8th of November?
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 08:38 PM   #4427
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Not really a good idea. Rather concrete on top of asphalt. But better just concrete or asphalt, not both.
They used a concrete foundation topped off with asphalt layers on Dutch A50. That was almost 15 years ago, it hasn't showed any defects...
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #4428
rudiwien

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
Some pictures from April 2017 the construction along the S36 in and around Unzmarkt
(See the quoted post above for April pictures)

A few pictures from around 3 weeks ago (source: http://www.kleinezeitung.at/steierma...sbau-der-S-36; There are ~30 more pictures, but honestly, not sure what the photographer really wanted to capture, seems he was more focused on the workers..)

- To remind you, the route:

- Retaining wall just north-east of Unzmarkt, between the currently existing dual-carriageway and the end of the tunnel under Unzmarkt, approximately here: https://www.google.at/maps/place/880....4431994?hl=de

The progress on the retaining wall, as compared to April:

Quote:

- Pictures from the construction of the tunnel under Unzmarkt. I think the technique used is similar to the tunnel in St. Georgen finished two years ago - build the side-walls with deep foundation, build the tunnel ceiling, and only then excavate it, to reduce the impact on the neighbours during construction.

Pictures mostly in this area: https://www.google.at/maps/place/880....4431994?hl=de

SRC_100, Highway89, KingNick, Luki_SL liked this post
Old September 20th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #4429
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Snow down to motorway altitude along A10 near the Tauern Tunnel.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2017, 04:55 PM   #4430
rudiwien

Some news regarding the A5, from http://noe.orf.at/news/stories/2867504/ (in German)

- Opening date is stated as 8th of December

- It is reported that indeed, an asphalt layer has been poured over the concrete foundation. The article also mentions that all works regarding the motorway itself are finished, and the focus is now on e.g. noise cancelling walls (as in the visualisation / photo below, it indeed looks to be red), connecting the link roads, re-forestation, etc.

- A total of 20 wildlife crossings (bridges) have been built, on 25km of road.

- Regarding the opening, there was another article some 2 weeks ago in the local media (https://www.meinbezirk.at/mistelbach...-d2239493.html) that showed a "countdown" sign in Poysdorf:

I am not sure when that sign was put up, but it was talked about on September 5th, if that was put up on that day, and it was 99 days left, that would hint for December 13th (if I didn't miscalculate). But it might have been put up earlier...

Luki_SL, ChrisZwolle, kdpy, SRC_100, vbkluht and 1 others liked this post

Last edited by rudiwien; September 21st, 2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2017, 12:35 AM   #4431
SRC_100

Likes (Received): 3275

I wish the opening is going to has place in the very first week of November... schade!
SRC_100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2017, 10:31 PM   #4432
bogdymol
bogdymod

Few pictures that I took last week on Highline 179 pedestrian bridge over the Austrian B179 (Fernpassstraße):

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 08:03 PM   #4433
cougar1989

Likes (Received): 103

Austria needs really a motorway or expressway connection to Switzerland.
Yesterday I did a little trip after I left the A13 Exit 2 (Au) at Switzerland the traffic jam started at the customs booth and the end was at the end of Lustenau (Austria). At Lustenau for that little town the traffic is too much. I lost round 15min time because of that.
At a barber shop in Lustenau I saw a nice advertising: traffic jam? Time for a haircut.
I hope the works can start 2021

Koloman liked this post
cougar1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 08:20 PM   #4434
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1989 View Post
Austria needs really a motorway or expressway connection to Switzerland.
Yesterday I did a little trip after I left the A13 Exit 2 (Au) at Switzerland the traffic jam started at the customs booth and the end was at the end of Lustenau (Austria). At Lustenau for that little town the traffic is too much. I lost round 15min time because of that.
At a barber shop in Lustenau I saw a nice advertising: traffic jam? Time for a haircut.
I hope the works can start 2021
simple no, 2021 would be the fastest possible approval process with no delays, delays are 100% sure to happen
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2017, 09:07 PM   #4435
rudiwien

The relevant ASFINAG page is this one: http://www.asfinag.at/verkehrssicher...e-bei-hoechst/

As Christian said, 2021 is simply unlikely...
Even though ASFINAG is normally very efficient from when they have the approval to actually start building (that might be just half a year to 1 year), at the moment, there is no decision done for the route yet.

Currently, tenders for the route selection process are prepared. From the moment a route is selected (might be a couple of years also...), and the environmental permit application is started, you can expect anything from 2 to 7 years time till all permits are confirmed by supreme courts... Unless they speed up the approval process with some regulatory changes, which has been discussed recently, e.g. due to the extremely long process for the S1 in Vienna (under the Danube), and similar cases (like A26 in Linz). But whether that will really happen is also doubtful...
Old October 1st, 2017, 11:09 PM   #4436
Wolfgang16

Likes (Received): 49

Thanks for the map. I know the road stub at Knoten St. Margrethen in Switzerland for 30 years now, I always wondered what it is for. Linie CP makes no sense for me. When coming from North its a detour and when coming from South its better to switch to the Swiss side much earlier.

its interesting to note however that this gap in the road network extends far to the North. The next decent East-West connection is A8 Ulm - Stuttgart. When I go to Switzerland from Munich and when I don't plan to buy anything in Bregenz then I often go now via Konstanz. The ferry Meersburg - Konstanz costs about as much as the Austrian pickerl, the route is much shorter, but the road network West of the A96 is still horrible. I hope that the B31 will be finished soon.

What do you think? Will B31 be finished earlier or S18?
Wolfgang16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2017, 08:48 AM   #4437
Christian_AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang16 View Post
Thanks for the map. I know the road stub at Knoten St. Margrethen in Switzerland for 30 years now, I always wondered what it is for. Linie CP makes no sense for me. When coming from North its a detour and when coming from South its better to switch to the Swiss side much earlier.

its interesting to note however that this gap in the road network extends far to the North. The next decent East-West connection is A8 Ulm - Stuttgart. When I go to Switzerland from Munich and when I don't plan to buy anything in Bregenz then I often go now via Konstanz. The ferry Meersburg - Konstanz costs about as much as the Austrian pickerl, the route is much shorter, but the road network West of the A96 is still horrible. I hope that the B31 will be finished soon.

CP makes for nobody sense, but the Greens and their silly nature Topic nothing more to say

the best solution was the original one from Lustenau-North direct to wolfurt-lauterach, you can build a tunnel, use prefabricated tunnel elements would cause only a short disruption for the birds during building and the best would be you can use it for road & rail

S18 would be first, down to 2 alternatives and a clear path to go, B31 hasnt reached this Phase and Germany has no asfinag means if they reach this Point it will take more time to have the selected road finished
Old October 2nd, 2017, 11:55 AM   #4438
rudiwien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang16 View Post

The detour by route CP is maybe around 6km, that is indeed not ideal when you want to connect (Zürich-St.Gallen-)St.Margarethen towards Bregenz (and Germany). The only advantage of the CP route is that it also functions as a Lustenau bypass, but Lustenau isn't that big that this should be any priority for the design; rather, a 1+1 bypass road should be built, if needed.

Indeed another connection in the south, maybe just north of Feldkirch, would also be beneficial.

Regarding what will be first - B31 seems more difficult as it is a longer stretch of road, actually a patch of various sections, so from that point of view, S18 seems way easier. On the other hand, the estimated price tag of 530 Mio Euro to 890 Mio Euro (depending on the route) is quite hefty, so I wouldn't be surprised if it is postponed, even when the planning is done. Not sure what the business case is for ASFINAG, whether that pays off soon due to increased truck tolling. The second, maybe more important, aspect is how much political pressure the provincial government can mount to make this a priority, even if it was not sound from the business side.. Vorarlberg is not the most important province, so that might play a role as well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_AT View Post
CP makes for nobody sense, but the Greens and their silly nature Topic nothing more to say

the best solution was the original one from Lustenau-North direct to wolfurt-lauterach, you can build a tunnel, use prefabricated tunnel elements would cause only a short disruption for the birds during building

I don't agree on all points of view of the Greens, but I think this statement of yours is a bit simplistic. I guess you are proposing a cut & cover approach here, when you talk about prefabricated tunnel elements?
Maybe with that, the disruption would be of short time, but if a habitat is not used for maybe even just one season, there is no guarantee that whatever wildlife was there will simply come back once the construction is over...
Old October 2nd, 2017, 01:26 PM   #4439
Christian_AT

some positive news:

Arlbergtunnel refurbishment FINISHED

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2869242/
(german)

Koloman, Luki_SL liked this post
Old October 2nd, 2017, 05:09 PM   #4440
rudiwien

Regarding the A5 Nordautobahn (also called Weinviertelautobahn), the federal administrative court has confirmed the permits for the Drasenhofen bypass, which in a first step will be built as a half-profile, with the option to widen the whole stretch from Poysbrunn to the border if there's demand.

Work on the bypass is now expected to start in 2018, with an opening in the second half of 2019.
The stretch from Shrick to Poysbrunn, as reported, shall open on December 8th.

Press release in German: http://www.asfinag.at/ueber-uns/news...g-drasenhofen/

Map:

---

Edit: ASFINAG also provided a new visualisation of the bypass road:

Luki_SL, SRC_100 liked this post

Last edited by rudiwien; October 2nd, 2017 at 09:40 PM.

Tags
austria