daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 15th, 2017, 07:08 PM   #4461
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1173

A new visualisation from ASFINAG on the proposed extension of S10 (which is the continuation of A7 from Linz) between Freistadt and Rainbach, in the corridor towards the Wullowitz border crossing -> České Budějovice (Budweis):

ASFINAG website: https://www.asfinag.at/verkehrssiche...rainbach-nord/

Map:

A total of 7,2 km, at an construction costs of 208 million euro, it includes a tunnel of ~900 meter, a covered section near Rainbach of ~250m, some larger bridges, and two half interchanges (Rainbach West, and Rainbach Nord)

It is prepared now for submission to environmental approval, construction could start 2021 and be finished 2024. The remainder of the road towards the Czech border, around 8km, would be built when traffic requires it, and likely only when/if the Czechia builds a motorway grade road from the border to Budweis.

This would then be the third motorway/expressway connection to Czechia that stops short before the border (besides the extension of A5, which will open in 3 weeks, ending ~9km before the border (Drasenhofen bypass will still be only 1+1), and S3, which will be a 2+1, and will in early 2020 end around 11km before the border)

Ices77 liked this post

Last edited by rudiwien; November 15th, 2017 at 07:13 PM.
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 15th, 2017, 07:15 PM   #4462
Negjana

Likes (Received): 144

Hard for me to imagine that there is more traffic on that segment than between Poysbrunn and the Czech border, and between Hollabrunn and the Czech border, both pieces of road that will be built only to half profile.
Negjana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 07:40 PM   #4463
JackFrost
Hun Solo

Likes (Received): 11830

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
This would then be the third motorway/expressway connection to Czechia that stops short before the border (besides the extension of A5, which will open in 3 weeks, ending ~9km before the border (Drasenhofen bypass will still be only 1+1), and S3, which will be a 2+1, and will in early 2020 end around 11km before the border)
The Czechs dont react to the Austrian approaches.
JackFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 08:02 PM   #4464
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

There's a fair amount of work on D3. Not so much on D52.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 09:27 PM   #4465
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
A new visualisation from ASFINAG on the proposed extension of S10 (which is the continuation of A7 from Linz) between Freistadt and Rainbach, in the corridor towards the Wullowitz border crossing -> České Budějovice (Budweis):

ASFINAG website: https://www.asfinag.at/verkehrssiche...rainbach-nord/

Map:

A total of 7,2 km, at an construction costs of 208 million euro, it includes a tunnel of ~900 meter, a covered section near Rainbach of ~250m, some larger bridges, and two half interchanges (Rainbach West, and Rainbach Nord)

It is prepared now for submission to environmental approval, construction could start 2021 and be finished 2024. The remainder of the road towards the Czech border, around 8km, would be built when traffic requires it, and likely only when/if the Czechia builds a motorway grade road from the border to Budweis.

this section will remove the last bottlenecks on this corridor on austrian side, the last section to the border is on an high 1+1 standard, to build this in this setup is a real good decision
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 09:39 PM   #4466
rudiwien

@Chris: I am only aware of work on D3 from D1/Praha to Budweis, where there's still maybe 70-80 km to build, and it seems that also only a rather short section of ~16km is currently under construction.
Not sure what is the timeline for the section from Budweis to the border, and that is still around 40-45 km to build..

@Negjana - I agree, this Freistadt Nord - Rainbach Nord could easily be built with only one carriageway initially, there isn't any bigger settlement north of Freistadt that would justify a 2+2, if there is then 55+ km of 1+1..
Old November 15th, 2017, 10:14 PM   #4467
Negjana

Likes (Received): 144

The section from Úsilné to Dolní Třebonín is supposed to be complete by October 2020, according to czech wikipedia.
Negjana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 10:20 PM   #4468
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
@Chris: I am only aware of work on D3 from D1/Praha to Budweis, where there's still maybe 70-80 km to build, and it seems that also only a rather short section of ~16km is currently under construction.
Not sure what is the timeline for the section from Budweis to the border, and that is still around 40-45 km to build..
Yes but they also completed over 30 kilometers in the past 4 years. So there is progress, but the Czech road building programme has stalled a lot over the past decade.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 10:59 PM   #4469
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negjana View Post
The section from Úsilné to Dolní Třebonín is supposed to be complete by October 2020, according to czech wikipedia.
Construction works south of České Budějovice are announced to begin in April 2018 (latest update: 27th October 2017). The entire motorway up to the border is announced to be completed by 2022.

https://www.rsd.cz/wps/portal/web/ma...atus_preparing

Quote:
Sure, I also expect (major) delays in Czechia...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 01:31 AM   #4470
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Something I don't understand about Austria - what is with the obsession with not finishing roads to the Czech border? Even if the Czechs are useless at building motorways, it would be much nicer for everyone if the D5 was constructed as 2+2 all the way to the border regardless of what the Czechs do.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 02:50 AM   #4471
rudiwien

Yes, of course it would be "nice" to have the 2+2 towards the border. But funds are also not unlimited, and thus it really makes sense to build the roads according to the expected demands. Beyond the currently proposed / under construction termini of the motorways, there isn't any major local/domestic source of traffic, thus it is "only" of importance for transit. While a 2+2 road is far from completion on the "other" side, I'd rather see the money spent on projects that solve real bottlenecks (and there are a few...)

And maybe there has been a certain level of mistrust built up against the commitment of the Czech sides to finish their parts of the corridors, so that might also play a role - build something that solves the biggest issues, and be prepared to react if the "other side" did their part; which is what they do in Drasenhofen, with a half-profile motorway. Of course, this could lead to a stalemate, where each side waits for the other :-)

I think from an Austrian point of view, likely A5 is the most important connection to Czechia, because it connects the Vienna region as the most populous part of the country (well, for Vienna, likely the corridor via the S3, so via Hollabrunn and Znojmo, would actually be the preferable route towards Prague being a bit more direct, but that corridor is really far away from completion in a 2+2 motorway standard on both sides, and it would also neglect Brno, and one anyway would need A5 for connections further towards Poland, so it makes all sense that this is built first and most complete).
S10 also not unimportant, but I'd say second priority, that's why it gets built only later.

--

Now, in other news, reports today that indeed, A5 will open on December 8th, along with a couple of pictures, though they could already be a couple of weeks old:

It is also mentioned that Mistelbach Ost/Wilfersdorf Süd, i.e. the southernmost of the new interchanges, will open only in Spring 2018. It is the first time that I have read about that, but it makes sense, as the interchange design is for two roundabouts connecting the ramps with the B7-road and further roads (the B40 Mistelbach bypass) -
see http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/48.56277/16.63575.
Currently, they had not built the roundabouts, but rather used traffic lights, and limited the possible turns, to keep traffic running more smoothly.
So I assume that they only start building the roundabouts once they actually open A5, and 95% of the traffic on the B7 has disappeared..

Jachoslaw liked this post
Old November 16th, 2017, 08:56 AM   #4472
Christian_AT

Quote:

@Negjana - I agree, this Freistadt Nord - Rainbach Nord could easily be built with only one carriageway initially, there isn't any bigger settlement north of Freistadt that would justify a 2+2, if there is then 55+ km of 1+1..

yes what is the real Price for building only the half, normally about 60-70% compared to the full Job, from my perspective it would be a loss of Money to make this "saving" game which is longtherm only pay more

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Construction works south of České Budějovice are announced to begin in April 2018 (latest update: 27th October 2017). The entire motorway up to the border is announced to be completed by 2022.

https://www.rsd.cz/wps/portal/web/ma...atus_preparing

Sure, I also expect (major) delays in Czechia...
exactly, CZ numbers of future segments are always like if we find a Magic Money tree and we can start tomorrow than would be written opening date, since years i see this Dates shifting back every year, big plans to build and less money
Old November 16th, 2017, 01:08 PM   #4473
rudiwien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_AT View Post
yes what is the real Price for building only the half, normally about 60-70% compared to the full Job, from my perspective it would be a loss of Money to make this "saving" game which is longtherm only pay more

In an ideal world, if money is available currently, and financing costs don't exist, then yes, then in overall, it is in principle better to build the full profile right away.
But just because building a half profile (and it actually is always more than half, when bridges and other art work is prepared for later dualling) something costs maybe 60-70%, and then maybe another 60% in 15 years, the current value of these expenses might actually be the same. Of course, the current benefit will be lower.
Generally, just building every new project always as 2+2 in my opinion excludes many aspects of traffic infrastructure planning, and especially on the S10 segment, I would like to see how the situation really develops on the Czech side.
And even if you only save 30-40% of the money, especially on S10, which costs 208 million Euro (for 7.5 km!), that is still a lot of money - A5 Schrick-Poysbrunn costs 283 million, for 25km, and the Drasenhofen bypass 50 million, for 9km half profile. With that 30-40% saving, you could build a couple of other kms in half-profile in places that don't currently warrant a 2+2.

What I do agree with is that it is stupid to build a road that is technically 2+2, but not to motorway standards, when it comes to radii, reserved road corridor, etc. We had those built in the past, and upgrading that retro-actively is really an enormous amount of money wasted, e.g. on the A2 from Graz to Klagenfurt. But that is not what they are currently doing on A5 with the Drasenhofen bypass, so I think that is a rather sensible approach.

It is a bit more debatable on S3 from Hollabrunn to Guntersdorf, where they build a 2+1, but they do not anticipate any future upgrading. Then again, one can also see the case for that, as there are already ~23km of 2+1 in operation between Stockerau and Hollabrunn, and if the S3 ever gets upgraded to 2+2, those are the first segments to be done, and only then one would extend the northern section. And it would thus be decades until that happens...
Old November 16th, 2017, 02:34 PM   #4474
alesmarv

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:

exactly, CZ numbers of future segments are always like if we find a Magic Money tree and we can start tomorrow than would be written opening date, since years i see this Dates shifting back every year, big plans to build and less money
Their problem is not money but will power to push projects through current processes.

The D3 construction to Dolní Třebonín is all but guaranteed to start by fall 2018. That leaves 20km's to the border. Those remaining 20km's are moving along and should start before the end of the decade, well at least to Kaplice with the remaining 14km's waiting for the Austrian side. The D3 will be complete to the border with Austria by 2024, a near certainty all segments are moving forward smoothly with no major risks of set backs. Having said that the D3 north of Tabor towards Prague is anyone guess and I doubt anything gets completed within the next decade. Right now best guess is maybe 2024 to start some construction but that is a big what if. Lots of problems and question marks, though as the condition of the current route through Benesov deteriorates there will be growing pressure to get something done.

As for Brno to Wien it is not a priority beyond a by pass of Mikulov which should start construction before the decade is up. The rest you can expect maybe in 10 years.

Last edited by alesmarv; November 16th, 2017 at 02:40 PM.
alesmarv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 04:05 PM   #4475
Eulanthe

Likes (Received): 411

Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
As for Brno to Wien it is not a priority beyond a by pass of Mikulov which should start construction before the decade is up. The rest you can expect maybe in 10 years.
And this is really crazy. The entire Brno-Vienna corridor should be looked at as part of the much bigger Warsaw-Vienna corridor, but alas, the Czechs have seemingly zero interest in it. Even in Poland, part of the corridor (DK8) from Wrocław to the border is pretty much ignored.

Still, I wish the entire A5/D52 corridor would get completed. I've used it enough times to get frustrated, especially as Vienna-Brno is only 145km.
Eulanthe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 04:46 PM   #4476
podkoscielny

Likes (Received): 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulanthe View Post
And this is really crazy. The entire Brno-Vienna corridor should be looked at as part of the much bigger Warsaw-Vienna corridor, but alas, the Czechs have seemingly zero interest in it. Even in Poland, part of the corridor (DK8) from Wrocław to the border is pretty much ignored.

Still, I wish the entire A5/D52 corridor would get completed. I've used it enough times to get frustrated, especially as Vienna-Brno is only 145km.
Polish part of Warsaw-Vienna corridor will be probably the first one finished. A1 from Silesia to Czestochowa and S8 from Mszczonow to Warsaw are currently being built, both to be finished mid 2019. There is also a tender in progress for the last part of A1 - Czestochowa - Piotrkow Trybunalski.

I was living in Vienna in 2015, travelling from and to Krakow once a month. Brno - Vienna was a nightmare and I'm really glad that A5 will be opened soon.
podkoscielny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 05:08 PM   #4477
Christian_AT

Quote:
In an ideal world, if money is available currently, and financing costs don't exist, then yes, then in overall, it is in principle better to build the full profile right away.
But just because building a half profile (and it actually is always more than half, when bridges and other art work is prepared for later dualling) something costs maybe 60-70%, and then maybe another 60% in 15 years, the current value of these expenses might actually be the same. Of course, the current benefit will be lower.
Generally, just building every new project always as 2+2 in my opinion excludes many aspects of traffic infrastructure planning, and especially on the S10 segment, I would like to see how the situation really develops on the Czech side.
And even if you only save 30-40% of the money, especially on S10, which costs 208 million Euro (for 7.5 km!), that is still a lot of money - A5 Schrick-Poysbrunn costs 283 million, for 25km, and the Drasenhofen bypass 50 million, for 9km half profile. With that 30-40% saving, you could build a couple of other kms in half-profile in places that don't currently warrant a 2+2.

mountain style and flat area, S10 Needs in this area bridges and tunnels, build the half an later upgrade would be huge expensive, even traffic dont Needs 2+2 it is an safety Advantage to build this section in full Standard

@alesmarv:
if i look in the future 7 years and Analyse the Situation:

austria some missing with 0 bottlenecks/problems

czech a lot missing with 2 bottlenecks (my knowledge) with no clear funding/construction:
- about 60km Praha - Tabor (open parts do not create beneftis, all 60km needed)
- about 6km Dolní Třebonín - Kaplice North (maybe temporary end) to remove bottlenecks
(or real Exit Kaplice south and build in total about 10km)

#

Kaplice south - Rainbach North (border Region both countries)

is no Problem, both countries can wait und see how the traffic develop

projected border crossing is very near to the existing one means if one Country is faster it can finish the S10 - D3, but why waste Money to build early if nobody Needs the upgrade, both countries have other Projects which are more important
Old November 16th, 2017, 05:17 PM   #4478
Christian_AT

the missing North part seems from external view important, reality is that the south part - Bypass Linz is the real issue

but after years of discussions they fixed a route how to build it:
https://www.land-oberoesterreich.gv....209_OuL_r9.pdf
(end of document preffered solution)
still waiting for a real shedule, reality is we Need it now, but it is a huge gain to have reached this stage of the process
Old November 17th, 2017, 12:50 PM   #4479
rudiwien

Coming back to the S10 northern extension: ASFINAG says in a press release that they are submitting the documents for the environmental approval process (Umweltverträglichkeits-Prüfung (UVP)) today: https://www.asfinag.at/ueber-uns/new...-bis-rainbach/

The UVP process can easily take up to two years, and then you can likely expect appeals against the decision, at the Bundesverwaltungsgericht.

In the press release, they say that without the S10, in the year 2035, there would be 19.400 vehicles passing through Rainbach per day, and that with S10, that would drop to below 1.500.
Old November 17th, 2017, 12:57 PM   #4480
alesmarv

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
mountain style and flat area, S10 Needs in this area bridges and tunnels, build the half an later upgrade would be huge expensive, even traffic dont Needs 2+2 it is an safety Advantage to build this section in full Standard

@alesmarv:
if i look in the future 7 years and Analyse the Situation:

austria some missing with 0 bottlenecks/problems

czech a lot missing with 2 bottlenecks (my knowledge) with no clear funding/construction:
- about 60km Praha - Tabor (open parts do not create beneftis, all 60km needed)
- about 6km DolnĂ* TřebonĂ*n - Kaplice North (maybe temporary end) to remove bottlenecks
(or real Exit Kaplice south and build in total about 10km)

#

Kaplice south - Rainbach North (border Region both countries)

is no Problem, both countries can wait und see how the traffic develop

projected border crossing is very near to the existing one means if one Country is faster it can finish the S10 - D3, but why waste Money to build early if nobody Needs the upgrade, both countries have other Projects which are more important
D3 North of Tabor might be a long while. Nothing is firmed up and there will be opposition. Officially all segments are scheduled to start construction in 2024 but given the current state of the project and the likely opposition this is one that could be delayed and become a real pain. There needs to be real aggressive movement on this stretch now and I don't see it. Which is unfortunate.

Trebonin to Kaplice is moving along and will get done soon. Official start of construction is Spring 2019, its do-able. Delays should not be too significant.
http://www.ceskedalnice.cz/dalnice/d3/

If the highway can be all complete from Prague to Linz by 2030 I would be a happy person. It can be done. Just need to throw some more bodies at the Tabor to Prague section and get it moving forward so opposition and appeals etc can be dealt with early. The border segments on both sides are not going to be a problem.
alesmarv no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria