daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2017, 12:58 PM   #4481
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_AT View Post
the missing North part seems from external view important, reality is that the south part - Bypass Linz is the real issue

but after years of discussions they fixed a route how to build it:
https://www.land-oberoesterreich.gv....209_OuL_r9.pdf
(end of document preffered solution)
still waiting for a real shedule, reality is we Need it now, but it is a huge gain to have reached this stage of the process
What will it happen to the current urban stretch of A7? Will it be demolished or kept for local use?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2017, 01:27 PM   #4482
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

I don't know, but they should keep both of them, otherwise the traffic problem would only move to the new motorway.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 01:39 PM   #4483
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
I don't know, but they should keep both of them, otherwise the traffic problem would only move to the new motorway.

will stay in place, covers a lot of local traffic

but with the Bypass you get all out of the City which dont want to drive through the City but is today forced to do it because this is the only option
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 02:04 PM   #4484
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_AT View Post
will stay in place, covers a lot of local traffic

but with the Bypass you get all out of the City which dont want to drive through the City but is today forced to do it because this is the only option
Yes, I remember driving through Linz to go to Czechia, few years ago, not as a pleasant experience: lots of exits, and traffic, and if I remember correctly also lane width was substandard.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 03:06 PM   #4485
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Yes, I remember driving through Linz to go to Czechia, few years ago, not as a pleasant experience: lots of exits, and traffic, and if I remember correctly also lane width was substandard.
Me too, and the whole 1+1 (sometimes 2+1) road almost all the way to Prague (except a short motorway section in CZ) is a nightmare of traffic. I went there before S10 opened.
A7 is probably the most problematic stretch in Austria, similar to the "Tangenziale di Mestre" before they opened the "Passante". It was opened during the Cold War, when there wasn't much traffic north of Linz.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old November 17th, 2017, 03:21 PM   #4486
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

A7 through Linz carries as much as 100,000 vehicles per day.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 04:30 PM   #4487
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A7 through Linz carries as much as 100,000 vehicles per day.
That's a huge figure for a 2x2 motorway. Italian A4 between Milan and Brescia has a similar figure, but it's either 2x4 or 2x3.
Old November 17th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #4488
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

I think that's also a reason why Austria doesn't want to improve the route for (more) transit traffic. The eastern Linz bypass will not being build soon (> 2030).

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 08:50 PM   #4489
Christian_AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I think that's also a reason why Austria doesn't want to improve the route for (more) transit traffic. The eastern Linz bypass will not being build soon (> 2030).
this is the future concept in Austria which is most likely build earlier and faster than projected

1. Money wont be a issue, network is nearly finished, expensive upgraded and refurbished the last 15 years
(history 2000 the motorways was in average bad condition, now relative good, history 2000 was a lot of gaps which was closed, history 2000 was a lot of aged single tube alp tunnels and expensive twining and refurbish is nearly complete done)

2. actual situation in Linz is one of the badest in Austria

3. Linz will grow, situation will go worse

4. Linz A7 need refurbishment and will be refurbished the next 14 years (in very tiny steps to dont create a total collapse), situation will go worse

5. improving the overall A7-S10-D3-D8 corridor will boost traffic, situation will go worse

my money is that the bypass openening date will be about 2027-2031
Old December 3rd, 2017, 01:33 PM   #4490
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17438

Motorway A 5 Schrick - Poysbrunn will open on December 8th.
From : ASFINAG : https://www.asfinag.at/ueber-uns/new...-bis-poybrunn/

Qwert, Verso, SRC_100, vbkluht, igorlan and 1 others liked this post
Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2017, 10:15 PM   #4491
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Can we expect major policy changes with an FPÖ minister for transport? Did they make any campaign promises?
Old December 19th, 2017, 10:46 PM   #4492
Christian_AT

Quote:
Can we expect major policy changes with an FPÖ minister for transport? Did they make any campaign promises?
now a very long answer will follow:

no

rheintram liked this post
Old December 19th, 2017, 11:01 PM   #4493
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Back in the day there was some talk about a 160 km/h speed limit, I believe that was also an FPÖ idea?
Old December 20th, 2017, 09:53 AM   #4494
Christian_AT

Quote:

Back in the day there was some talk about a 160 km/h speed limit, I believe that was also an FPÖ idea?

again:

a lot of words which can be shortend to "all stay the same road/rail/waterways",

there was from the new Minister a clear Statement (surprise and hard to believe from a politican) AGAINST Speed 160kmh
Old December 20th, 2017, 10:35 AM   #4495
MichiH

Quote:
S7: Riegersdorf (A2) – Dobersdorf 14.8km (May 2015 to 2022) – projectmap
Green light for Fürstenfelder Schnellstraße! All orders are legal now!

https://www.asfinag.at/ueber-uns/new...chnellstrasse/

Two tenders have already been published in November, two additional tenders will be published in early 2018. The construction of a temporary (construction) road has already been started. Both sections will be completed by late 2023. 648 million €. Construction works on the eastern secton will be started in 2020.

If memory serves, only the construction of a single bridge over A2 was started in 2015.

S7: Riegersdorf (A2) – Dobersdorf 14.8km (May 2015 to Late 2023) – projectmap
S7: Dobersdorf – AT/HU border (Heiligenkreuz) 13.6km (2020 to Late 2023) – projectmap

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old December 20th, 2017, 10:53 AM   #4496
Christian_AT

Quote:
If memory serves, only the construction of a single bridge over A2 was started in 2015.

not correct,
a old A2 Bridge was refurbished and because of the following interchange with A2-S7
(which will come sooner or later)
it was an additional widening of the Bridge to not have to touch the Bridge in some years again,
save Money and not to make work twice

this one:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir//E59...37792?hl=de-AT
(the Wood is already removed on this Images for the new S7)

Last edited by Christian_AT; December 20th, 2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old December 20th, 2017, 10:57 AM   #4497
MichiH

Thanks. Clearance was done and you can already see the future S7 alignment for about 3km.

Old December 20th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #4498
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1161

Regarding the policy changes from the FPÖ minister for infrastructure - from what I have read, he said he was not thinking about it, but there was also no super-clear rejection of the idea. Still,it seems rather unlikely.

One thing that he proposed, not applicable to the motorways though , is that he wants to "test" turning (right) on red, as e.g. in the USA.

Generally, there was some talk about "speeding up" the Umweltverträglichkeitsprüfung (UVP, environmental approval) process, though it is not clear yet how. Could be potentially limiting the eligibility of who can object, etc.. That might have an impact on how fast projects could be started from once they are politically decided, but I am not sure if there are any movements towards more funds for road construction.
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 11:43 AM   #4499
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They did that in the Netherlands. Only people directly impacted by the project can appeal, not people against it on ideological grounds. It significantly sped up the approval process, from an average of 11 years to 4-5 years.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Shenkey liked this post
Old December 20th, 2017, 12:47 PM   #4500
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17438

rudiwien, SRC_100, x37, belerophon, Verso and 1 others liked this post
Luki_SL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria