daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2017, 11:12 PM   #4501
KingNick
Make Wu'bar Great Again

Likes (Received): 8714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian_AT View Post
now a very long answer will follow:

no
Not true. Hofer already announced that he wants to introduce red light right turning and also raise the speed limit.

Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2017, 08:13 AM   #4502
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNick View Post
Not true. Hofer already announced that he wants to introduce red light right turning and also raise the speed limit.

First this yes but not secured, maybe a test if this principle works and create real benefits and not much accidents, yes i know that this is in use in other countries but the Drivers must be able to understand

Second this is no infrastructure issue, like cut or increase funding or that the new Boss do or not like a Special Projects/ideas, how austrian roads look like in 2025 wont really Change

Third General Speed sheme with 50-100-130 wont Change, he said that he will check if "absurd" lower speed Limits can be remove BUT it have to be save, a typical Statement because wo is not pissed from slower limited Areas, sounds always good to announce i want to do something
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 04:37 PM   #4503
Negjana

Likes (Received): 144

One can hardly understand what you are trying to say.......

rudiwien, Verso, celevac liked this post
Negjana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 09:04 PM   #4504
Wolfgang16

Likes (Received): 49

This evening in Austria's main newscast ZIB1 it was said that the new minister Norbert Hofer thinks about raising the speed limit from 130 to 140 under good conditions. The speed at which you loose your driver's licence however won't change.

You can see that in the following link, in german of course.
http://tvthek.orf.at/profile/ZIB-1/1...nkbar/14203069

darko06 liked this post
Wolfgang16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #4505
x37

Likes (Received): 36

A Render-Video of the S7 Fürstenfelder-Schnellstraße. (A2 to Hungary)

The work should start next year.

Infos in german:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fürste..._Schnellstraße
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:38 PM   #4506
celevac

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by x37 View Post
A Render-Video of the S7 Fürstenfelder-Schnellstraße. (A2 to Hungary)

The work should start next year.

Infos in german:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fürste..._Schnellstraße
Wait, so the eastern section of S7 will be only 1x1 ??
Old December 26th, 2017, 12:49 PM   #4507
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

True! It was originally planned to be 2x2 up to the border but it seems that it was changed! Now I understand, why Hungary also just plans 2-laned........

The video looks like there's no space reservation for a 2nd c/w but I found a document from March 2016 indicating that a future 2nd carriageway should be "considered".

Quote:
Die S7 wird in diesem Streckenabschnitt im zweistreifigen Ausbau hergestellt. Das Objekt S7.46b-E wird für diesen zweistreifigen Ausbau ausgelegt, jedoch ist ein späterer vierstreifiger Ausbau bei der Planung zu berücksichtigen.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #4508
rudiwien

Likes (Received): 1170

Quote:
Originally Posted by celevac View Post
Wait, so the eastern section of S7 will be only 1x1 ??

I don't see the issue with that, in fact, I think it is a very sensible approach. Till Fürstenfeld & Rudersdorf, you have a somewhat significant population (Fürstenfeld ist just above 8.000, Rudersdorf 2.000 inhabitants), but east of that, there are only villages, so there won't be any significant traffic originating there. A grade-separated 1+1 bypass is all they need.

If the route proves to be an interesting alternative for transit, it can be upgraded. If that approach is enough for the A5 to Brno, I don't see why it won't work here either.
And it's not that there would be a motorway grade 2+2 just waiting on the Hungarian side. Even if the part till Körmend was built as 2+2, you are still stuck for many kilometers with either expressways (towards Szombathely & Györ) or 1+1 with some 2+2 sections (towards Veszprem or the M7 on the southern side of Balaton).

If Hungary builds the M8, the Austrian S7 could form a part of an interesting east-west route from Italy/Klagenfurt/Graz to south-eastern Hungary, Romania, etc, bypassing both the Wiener Neustadt / Vienna region as well as the Budapest metro area. But that is a long way to go, and I am not sure if there would be enough demand for such a route at the moment anyhow (if you don't take the usual holiday migration frenzy as the target to solve..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
True! It was originally planned to be 2x2 up to the border but it seems that it was changed! Now I understand, why Hungary also just plans 2-laned........

The video looks like there's no space reservation for a 2nd c/w but I found a document from March 2016 indicating that a future 2nd carriageway should be "considered".
Quote:
Die S7 wird in diesem Streckenabschnitt im zweistreifigen Ausbau hergestellt. Das Objekt S7.46b-E wird für diesen zweistreifigen Ausbau ausgelegt, jedoch ist ein späterer vierstreifiger Ausbau bei der Planung zu berücksichtigen.

That would rather read as in "a 2nd carriageway has to be considered"
rudiwien no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 11:40 PM   #4509
rudiwien

There was a head-on collision in the Arlbergtunnel on S16, 4 vehicles involved and 11 people injured, supposedly 4 serious injured. A British driver went on the opposing lane, causing the crash. The tunnel was closed for several hours.

Arlbergtunnel (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/89...7.1229/10.1859), with a length of 13.972 meters, is the longest road tunnel in Austria. While part of the S16 expressway that connects Tirol and Vorarlberg, it is a single-tube 1+1 tunnel. Parts of S16 are 1+1 as well, some parts are 2+1, and some parts (including some of the tunnels, mostly the newer ones) are 2+2

The tunnel will remain a single-tube tunnel for many decades to be, as it was just renovated until autumn 2017. The upgrade included emergency bays as well as connecting emergency escape tunnels to the Arlberg railway tunnel, to meet current safety requirements.
The upgrade costed 154 million Euro. A twinning would have likely costed three to five times that amount, judging from the per-km price of other twinning projects of long road tunnels in Austria in recent history (Gleinalmtunnel, Bosrucktunnel, ...).

Annual average daily traffic in the tunnel is around 8.500.

[atomic], Luki_SL liked this post

Last edited by rudiwien; January 8th, 2018 at 06:23 PM.
Old January 11th, 2018, 08:20 PM   #4510
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

There seems to be political interest to construct the 'Waldviertelautobahn': http://noe.orf.at/news/stories/2888746/

I think this would be a motorway along the B2 corridor? Say Hollabrunn, Horn, Waidhofen - České Budějovice?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 09:01 PM   #4511
Christian_AT

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There seems to be political interest to construct the 'Waldviertelautobahn': http://noe.orf.at/news/stories/2888746/

I think this would be a motorway along the B2 corridor? Say Hollabrunn, Horn, Waidhofen - České Budějovice?
he visited the region and answered the question for infrastructure investment with:

"we make some studies, but even if they are positive it will need 10-20 years minimal before something can happen"

the reality is the roads are enough and this region has an expected population projection from -13% @2050 and is on the top-shrinking list
(austria total about +20% to match the numbers)

=

nothing will be built
Christian_AT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 10:29 PM   #4512
MichiH

The Waldviertelautobahn was already discussed in the 1970s. The proposed route was in the B2 corridor, the missing segment is here: http://old.wikimapia.org/#lat=48.799...2501;0;2438102 (more than 80km from S3 to the west). More info:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waldvi...ellstra%C3%9Fe

http://www.waldviertelautobahn.at/

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
Old January 12th, 2018, 04:58 PM   #4513
rudiwien

The current status, roughly summarised

- The former governor (Landeshauptmann) of the state of Niederösterreich (NÖ) was rather opposing the idea of the Waldviertelautobahn. His ideas were towards upgrading existing national roads, mostly to 2+1 with bypasses.
He has retired last year, and the new leadership in the ÖVP, which currently holds the absolute majority of seats, seems more actively supporting an Autobahn.

- Now comes the potential reason why - there are elections in NÖ on January 2018, so of course, some of the support given now is due to that.. It will be more clear afterwards who wants to actually dedicate money

- However, NÖ has most of its other motorway corridors approved now, so maybe they indeed need to find something new to ask from the federal government
-- A5 is open towards Poysdorf since a month, and Drasenhofen bypass is starting in a couple of months. Duplication of that, if needed, seems also rather given.

-- S3 from Hollabrunn to Guntersdorf is under construction. Granted, it is mostly 2+1, and from Guntersdorf northwards 1+1 (B303), and still a handful of roundabouts exist, but once finalised, all settlements are bypassed. And it is likely all that this corridor needs for a long time.
Basically, until Czechia would build a motorway from Jihlava to Austria via Znojmo, which would then form the shortest connection Vienna-Prague. But I don't think that this is going to happen soon, the strategy for the Czech 38 road is rather similar as for S3, grade separation, bypasses of villages, ...

-- Upgrades to A3 (Ostautobahn) towards Budapest are on the way, it will be extended to 2x3 till Neusiedl (Parndorf) by 2023, preparation works have already started.

-- S1 (Lobautunnel) and S8 (to the east towards Gänserndorf, maybe later to Marchegg) seem to have financing guaranteed, it is rather a matter of waiting for the environmental aspects (Umweltverträglichkeitsprüfung) to be confirmed in court. And S1 is mainly a concern for Vienna, anyhow.

-- S34 Traisental Schnellstraße (St. Pölten – Knoten St. Pölten/West (A 1) – south to Wilhelmsburg), which would partially also form a western bypass for St. Pölten, is also not yet started, but I think once permits are confirmed, that one also has funding rather secured; start of construction currently is indicated with 2019 (but it has also been pushed backwards, like A5/S1/S3/S8 year by year due to many appeals against the Umweltverträglichkeitsprüfung)

That indeed leaves no other major projects that would need starting a (political) planning phase now.. So nothing to brag to voters in the mid-term future :-) Therefore, I would think that this idea is not per-se dead from the start...

- So the state of NÖ last year announced they would pay for an initial study (see e.g. http://www.noen.at/zwettl/waldvierte...ter/61.208.362). But as said, NÖ is basically not wanting to spend their own money on construction, but rather federal funds (via ASFINAG). However, they are traditionally one of the most important states...

The discussed terminus is towards Waidhofen or Gmünd. A map of the area:

The current road situation:

- Some of B4 (from Stockerau to Horn) has been upgraded, there are bypasses for quite many villages, some grade-separated, some rather extensive (e.g. the one around Maissau, partially also for Horn)

- Some parts of the B37/B38 road from Krems to Zwetll have 2+1 sections, and it is planned to extend that. Most settlements are bypassed, some intersections have been upgraded (e.g. Gföhl got a grade separation just last year), and Zwettl has a brand new and quite extensive bypass.

- A major decision would be the preferred route, indeed. Options are roughly:

-- As Michi described, along the B2, that is from Hollabrunn (terminus of S3) westwards via Horn. (red line) Could also take into account that the S3 is currently extended northwards to Guntersdorf (see https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/48.6413/15.9340)
-- Along the B4 from Stockerau north-westwards, that would be the most direct route (green line) for a route via Horn. However, the above mentioned upgrades to B4 are likely not useful for a motorway, and thus maybe even an obstacle.
-- From the terminus of S5 around Krems northwards via Zwettl (blue). In some reports, for this option proponents argue that it would not only provide a fast connection from the Waldviertel to Vienna, but also to St. Pölten (via S33), which is the (minute) capital of the state of NÖ- there might be a political factor to decide for this route. Besides this, the route would be a bit shorter, though a Krems bypass would be needed, and the last few kilometres of S5 towards Krems are currently 1+1. However, a route via Krems would allow to then reach Vienna either from the west via St. Pölten and A1, or from the north-east via S5 and A22.

Sentilj, Moravian, celevac liked this post
Old January 12th, 2018, 05:05 PM   #4514
Negjana

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiwien View Post
The current status, roughly summarised
He has retired last year, and the new leadership in the ÖVP, which currently holds the absolute majority of seats, seems more actively supporting an Autobahn.
Not for very much longer
Negjana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 11:39 AM   #4515
MichiH

Quote:
-- Upgrades to A3 (Ostautobahn)
A4

Quote:
-- S34 Traisental Schnellstraße (St. Pölten – Knoten St. Pölten/West (A 1) – south to Wilhelmsburg), which would partially also form a western bypass for St. Pölten
An incomplete bypass with regional benefit only. An additional "northern bypass" to S33 would have benefit for transit traffic too but I think that's not planned or even discussed at all.

https://www.asfinag.at/verkehrssiche...-wilhelmsburg/

Luki_SL liked this post
Old January 13th, 2018, 06:25 PM   #4516
Falusi
hanzi13

Likes (Received): 192

What about Oberösterreich?

The corridor between Braunau am Inn and A8 is already handling quite much traffic. Between München and Wien going through A94 - B148 - A8 is already the 2nd fastest road, but once A94 will be completed in a few years, it will attract even more traffic. Any plans there?
It seems to be that in the old times there was a motorway planned here, as there is a short motorway section around Ried.

Highways clinched by me
A AND BIH C CH CZ D E F FL GR H HKJ HR I MC MK RO PL SK SLO SRB T UAE
doing MSc in Mechanical Engineering
Falusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2018, 07:07 PM   #4517
MichiH

No plans at all!

The project name was S9 Innviertler Schnellstraße if you wanna google for more info.

Tags
austria