daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 9th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #41
snupix

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
When I was there last time (2 y ago), the speed limit was between 80 and 100. Is that still the case?
Yup!
snupix no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #42
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Why is that good for? I understand this speed limit in time of congested traffic, but in general it shouldn't exist. Or?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #43
snupix

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Why is that good for? I understand this speed limit in time of congested traffic, but in general it shouldn't exist. Or?
I agree, it is quite irritating... But probably there is a reason, maybe David will know more...?
snupix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #44
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

In general, Austrian politicians seem to believe that lower speed limits secure safer roads... Bullshit, of course! Austrian drivers are among the most reckless and aggressive ones, so 80 km/h will just aggrevate existing aggressions.
Moreover, the populistic "environment" discussion hasn't helped matters a lot. On the contrary.

Perhaps it's also got to do with the fact that this particular section is often congested and the high amount of exits due to the dense polpulation south of Vienna...
If that section had digital signage, I'd presume it would have more flexible speed limits as well.
That's all just guesses, though...

And BTW, don't forget that the concept motorways is not higher speed, but more capacity.

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:45 AM   #45
Bahnsteig4

S33 - Kremser Schnellstraße

S33 - Kremser Schnellstraße

S33 links the Lower Austrian state capital, St.Pölten with Krems, an important city for the touristic region of wachau, known for its wine. It was only some months ago that the S33 has been completely fit with a 2x2 layout. Works were accelerated after three deadly accidents within two months.

I'll stick to Google Earth images. If anyone has better to offer, feel free to contribute.

Length: 30km
Province: Lower Austria

Follow me on a ride from Krems to St.Pölten (N-S) on a gloriously hot summer saturday!

Coming from Krems, turning on to the S33. I am going to Vienna, yet I better not follow the sign to "Wien", as it would take me to the north of the city and I would have to cross Vienna to get to my home in the west.
(I'd like to apologize for the dirty windshield...)

The bridge across the Danube does not belong to S33, even though there is no real reason why it shouldn't.

Now, here we go. Points of interest are marked in either brown (cultural) or green (natural). The sign also indicates that S33 merges into A1, so if you know that A1 takes you to Vienna, you'll realize that we're on the right way, despite "Wien" still being mentioned nowhere.

130 km/h is AT's typical motorway limit. Distance signs showing St.Pölten (end of the motorway), Traismauer (next bigger town) and Hollenburg (next exit).

This branch of the S33 will discontinue being officially operated as a Schnellstraße, when the Nibelungen bridge over the Danube will be finished in 2008 and link S33 and S5 directly. I suppose that's why no one bothered refurbishing the barriers.

Perfect asphalt, perfect traffic situation (as nearly always on S33), perfect weather and some great local wine in your blood. Perfect day. (No, I was not driving, I was just taking pictures.)

Now what's that??? Just a few kms to the south and the following changes have happened:
St.Pölten has disappeared (WTF?)
Linz and Vienna have appeared (finally)
"A1" has disappeared. Now, I realize that both Linz and Vienna can be reached via A1, but does everybody know that? And do foreigners know that they are still on the right street for St.Pölten? (If anyone wants to go there...)

Now that we are drawing nearer to St.Pölten, the specific exits for the city start to show. The S33/A1 interchange is marked, as well:

Landmarks are indicated on seperate signs, in this case political and cultural spots in the city of St.Pölten:

The end of S33 at St.Pölten interchange. Wien (via A1) and Graz (via A1-A21-A2) are shown. The right lane takes you down to the westbound branch of A1. Somehow Salzburg is missing below Linz (as it is the westernmost city along A1 in A before D) and I really don't know why there are no country signs (You could include SK, HU, I, SLO, D,.....)

Eastbound traffic then passes above A1 and is lead to A1 in a downward spiral. This sign always makes me laugh:

Welcome to the longest construction site in Austria:

The A21 is about to follow. Feel free to ask any question you like.

Old July 15th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #46
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

Quote:
Somehow Salzburg is missing below Linz (as it is the westernmost city along A1 in A before D) and I really don't know why there are no country signs (You could include SK, HU, I, SLO, D,.....)
I'm not sure, Austrian signs tends to be messy, because there is so much information. I'm glad these signs aren't.

I'm not to keen on country signs. It add nothing, just point at the right city, you have to know it anyway to continue your travel.

Great report though.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #47
Bahnsteig4

I'd like them to show more information, even if it meant more chaos. I've got swift eyes, so I spot the info needed pretty quickly.

Old July 15th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #48
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

I tried to make a very simple sign with only the information you really need.

E-numbers can be leftout in my opinion, since generally nobody uses them.

Those U-numbers can be placed on a smaller sign before this sign, if they are important.

I made the right sign wider, so St.Pölten-Süd doesn't have to be in Engschrift. That makes the sign easier to read.

What do you think?

[IMG]http://i7.************/5xg2j5h.png[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #49
Bahnsteig4

A21 - Wiener Außenringautobahn

A21 - Wiener Außenringautobahn
(Vienna's Outer Ring Motorway)

The A21 links the A1 (Westautobahn, Vienna-Germany) and the A2 (Vienna-Italy), continues on to the A4 (Ostautobahn, Vienna-Hungary) as the S1 (see page 1 of this thread). Just like the S1, it was designed to free Vienna of transit traffic. However, as some of the steepest sections of the Austrian motorway system are found here, trucks and passenger vehicles get into serious trouble without snow chains, since, additionally you have pretty unpredictable weather in this southern part of the Vienna woods. (Not so unpredictable, actually, just extreme.)

Length: 38,2 km
Provinces: Lower Austria, Vienna

A trip W-E (A1-A2):

Still on A1, Steinhäusl interchange ahead. Not much to complain about in terms of signage:

Interestingly, only two lanes continue as A1 into Vienna, while there are (initially) three lanes on A21. Pretty strange perspective for me. I ALWAYS take A1...

Three lanes don't help, if you fall victim to drivers' stupidity. All of these cars were going at about 110 km/h.

Austria has introduced this fog system recently. I suppose it's popular everywhere in Europe. (Which other countries apart from I have it?)

Hard to believe you are so close to a 1.6 mill city...

The third lane is switched on and off every now and then:

In case you were already wondering what these devices were,...
...they're for collecting truck toll.

Climping steeply:

Once you are over that hill, you start a deep descent down from what is officially known as the easternmlost part of the alps into the Vienna Basin, offering a great view of the southern outskirts of Vienna and the city itself:

We've got a limit of 80 km/h here, obviously thanks to the steep ramp:
Wienerberg Towers are visible:

Distance signs to Graz (via A2), Vienna (via A2-A23) and Brünn am Gebirge (next exit):

Lovely view:

Gradually levelling off:

I had to get off here, but there's hardly anything missing. It's about two more minutes to Vösendorf interchange (A21-A2-S1). For S1, see the first page of this thread.

Old July 16th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #50
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

I am affraid to drive on Austrian motorways, especially on te mountainones with the viaducts etc which make problems all the time like the viaduct of the A10 which was about to fall down. If Austrians can´t even built a twolamed road which lasts rain than i am wondering how the motorways are not broken yet, you always say everything is perfect in Austria and with Austrian companies but did work shitty on the Sofia airport and a very important national road.

http://www.eenk.com/images/dimovo_vidin.jpg

Is this Austrian quality, i am sorry to be so rude but i am very sad that Strabag worked so awful, macedonian companies built motorways which last extremly heavy rain falls and other extrem whetther conditions and stay smooth and shiny but austrian roads, no comment.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #51
Bahnsteig4

Quote:
which make problems all the time like the viaduct of the A10 which was about to fall down
All the time? Once in 60 years of motorway history.

Quote:
you always say everything is perfect in Austria
Huh?

Good thing is, if you are afraid, no one makes you come here.

Old July 16th, 2007, 12:06 PM   #52
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkunz/VIE View Post
Huh?

Good thing is, if you are afraid, no one makes you come here.
Maybe not you but there are many patriots in the alpine Austria who think austria over everything, who say "Ich liebe meine Heimat, Österreich ist am besten, Österreich ist am fortgeschrittensten, hoch lebe Österreich" or stuff like that. Fact is that what Strabag built in Bulgaria has a very bad quality. And is not am besten.
Old July 16th, 2007, 12:28 PM   #53
Bahnsteig4

Quote:
"Ich liebe meine Heimat, Österreich ist am besten, Österreich ist am fortgeschrittensten, hoch lebe Österreich"
I'm sure that's only the case in Austria, right? Doesn't exist in Bulgaria, right?

Good.

Quote:
Fact is that what Strabag built in Bulgaria has a very bad quality.
If you go for the cheapest offer, that's what to expect.

Old July 16th, 2007, 12:34 PM   #54
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkunz/VIE View Post
I'm sure that's only the case in Austria, right? Doesn't exist in Bulgaria, right?

Good.

If you go for the cheapest offer, that's what to expect.
Bulgarians might say they have great landscape and mountains, but they surely don´t say what bulgaria produces is the best, i never heard that of any Bulgarian, they know that.
Old July 16th, 2007, 12:48 PM   #55
Bahnsteig4

End of discussion.
For god's sake, stop talking about Bulgaria in every single thread in this forum!

Old July 16th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #56
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Agh. Why do you ruin my reading experience in every single thread here, radi6404? Please stop, noone f-ing cares.
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #57
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
Agh. Why do you ruin my reading experience in every single thread here, radi6404? Please stop, noone f-ing cares.
I just wanted point out that austrian strabag company works shit, and if you don´t want hear me just set my on ignore you fool, i don´t care aobut what you are saying but it is ridiculous that Bulgaira chooses Austria because they think Austria works properly altough they work so bad that people get killed on Austrian roads.
Old July 17th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #58
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
I just wanted point out that austrian strabag company works shit
Yeah, you are right, this time. Strabag sucks! They also worked on the Timisoara-Border with Hungary road here in Romania (that's National Road 6), some 2 years ago. All they did was pour another layer of asphalt on top of the old pavement full of potholes. No consolidation, no nothing.

I have the impression that the road didn't even have a proper foundation, and they just poured asphalt on top. The resulting road was very uneven and very wavy, so the ride wasn't that smooth in the first place, and now cracks are starting to appear and it's getting worse and worse.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #59
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
Yeah, you are right, this time. Strabag sucks! They also worked on the Timisoara-Border with Hungary road here in Romania (that's National Road 6), some 2 years ago. All they did was pour another layer of asphalt on top of the old pavement full of potholes. No consolidation, no nothing.

I have the impression that the road didn't even have a proper foundation, and they just poured asphalt on top. The resulting road was very uneven and very wavy, so the ride wasn't that smooth in the first place, and now cracks are starting to appear and it's getting worse and worse.
Thanks for your information, i will collect all information against Strabag and go to the Austrian patriots forum and show them what these ******* stupid whoresons are doing. Oh mein Gott, ihr seit doch echt voll dumm, "unsere Strabag" ist wohl eine der schlechtesten Firmen überhaupt, albanische frimen sind besser als Strabag.
Old July 17th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #60
Bahnsteig4

So much wasted space. It's funny to see someone start a thread and then bitch and moan.

On topic: Perhaps I can do the A3 on thursday, a pretty quiet and nice stretch of motorway.

Last edited by Bahnsteig4; July 17th, 2007 at 11:24 AM.

Tags
austria