daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:21 PM   #641
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2535

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Well, their network is pretty much completed by now...
If we are talking about international connections then I don't think so. Austria is well connected with WE, but they have a lot to catch up since fall of the iron curtain. AU has good connection only with Slovenia. There is only one motorway between AU and HU, they needed almost 20 years to build motorway from Vienna to Bratislava which are virtually next to each other and there is still not a single motorway between Austria and Czech Republic.

Last edited by Qwert; March 23rd, 2009 at 06:58 PM.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:17 PM   #642
jpeter

Likes (Received): 0

http://www.asfinag.at/index.php?modu...=44&idtopic=29

jpeter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 08:44 PM   #643
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Well, their network is pretty much completed by now...
Quite extensive network, but far from completed. The fact that Austria's motorway network is already quite dense, is a bad excuse for not building virtually anything any more. They needed whole eternity to build short A6, and other missing motorways/expressways they aren't building at all. Vienna - CZ, Linz - CZ, Graz - H, A3 to Sopron, NIMBYs stopped plans for a motorway to CH. They have built far too few in the last 20 years. Btw, is there a motorway/expressway planned from Feldkirch to Liechtenstein? I've seen it on some maps.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:33 PM   #644
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

weird, but i agree with Slovenian. so, as long as A doesn't make any motorways in direction CZ - i'll consider their network far from completed. also, that A9 gap is irritating. and i expect conection of A12 with A10 finally.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:07 PM   #645
Verso
Islander

There will never be a motorway between A12 and A10, you can go via Germany. And what A9 gap do you mean? Single-tube tunnels?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:12 PM   #646
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

yes, Klaus - Sankt Pankraz.

about A10-A12 connection - it is kinda ok for direction Wien - Innsbruck, but if you go from Slovenia to Switzerland, it would be the shortest way and going through D means quite a detour (other option is going via I)
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:14 PM   #647
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

A10 -> A12 won't happen. A quality connection under Thurn Paß and some alignment modifications of B-roads (like some parts from Spittal to Lienz) would probably be enough (but won't happen few decades, too)
keber está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:24 PM   #648
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
yes, Klaus - Sankt Pankraz.
But that's not the only single-tube section in Austria, not even on A9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
about A10-A12 connection - it is kinda ok for direction Wien - Innsbruck, but if you go from Slovenia to Switzerland, it would be the shortest way and going through D means quite a detour (other option is going via I)
I don't think we can expect that, there's even quite a long gap between A12 and A14. Btw, there's a direct motorway planned in Germany between Salzburg (Rosenheim) and Bregenz (not via Munich), but it probably won't be built soon.
Old March 24th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #649
thun

You're referring to the A 98 project (Irschenberg (A8) - Weilheim - Kempten - Lindau - Friedrichshafen - Basel), don't you? If so, this is not a current project but was abandonned decades ago! Some stretches in the Upper Rhine/Black Forest region and south of Kempten were buildt, but then they stopped it (luckily, as it would have destroyed lots of prealpine environment without much advantage for traffic IMHO).

With the finish of the German A 96, the route via Munich probably wouldn't be much of a detour from Salzburg to Bregenz. Especially because the lower Inn valley often suffers from jams and the Arlberg route is 1+1 only (and you have to pay for the tunnel).

I don't think that a Austrian motorway between Bischofshofen or somewhere there and the Inn valley will ever be buildt because there's already a connection via Bavaria. Doubling that one would be, well, senseless because even then the "Deutsches Eck" would be the direct option for most innner-Austrian traffic coming from Linz. Therefore, the only really advantage would be for northbound Tauern traffic to Tyrol which is probably way too small to justify a new motorway at all. Last but not least, construction in an alpine surrounding would be very expensive and is always a heavy influence on the environment which should be avoided whenever possible IMO.
Old March 24th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #650
Verso
Islander

Weird, I think I've seen plans for A98 west of Rosenheim even on some newer maps.
Old March 24th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #651
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

A Lienz bypass and good B-road from Spittal would do a lot (every few years some extension is built). Felbertaurentunnel road is very good, only some faster connection to Kitzbühel would be needed. Motorway is not needed.
keber está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #652
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Can anyone tell me the average waiting times for the Katschbergtunnel and the Tauerntunnel on a friday in summer?
Old March 24th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #653
Radish2

Likes (Received): 60

Can someone post pictures of the Road 148, starting from the German border, it looks very good.
Radish2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #654
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
Can anyone tell me the average waiting times for the Katschbergtunnel and the Tauerntunnel on a friday in summer?
Last summer, the delays were up to 4 hours on the A10 on black saturdays. But don't expect it to be much better on fridays...
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #655
Timon91
Error

What about such friday's, but early in the morning?
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #656
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Also busy, but better. The best is to avoid driving in the Alps or France during fridays and saturdays in the summer.
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #657
Timon91
Error

Well, we have to, b/c when going to Slovenia, there are no good alternatives. The best is probably to get a hotel just before the tunnels or just after them.
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:45 AM   #658
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Listen to the traffic information... If there is "blockabfertigung", you're at least experiencing an half hour delay, but more often 1 - 4 hours. The Tauerntunnel is generally the worst in the Alps on busy days, even worse than the Gotthard.

Anyway, the route via Graz (A9 I guess) also has one lane tunnels, but is much more quiet. But it depends on which location in Slovenia you want to be.
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #659
Timon91
Error

Bled, that's why we have to take the Tauernautobahn. Slovenia is very tiny anyway, so it doesn't really matter which route you take, you'll always end up near your destination
Old March 25th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #660
ChrisZwolle
Road user

If you're not pulling a caravan, you might want to consider the Felbertauern route via Lienz. It's not faster than the Tauerntunnel, but it's scenic, and driving is always better than wait on the tarmac for 2 or 3 hours.

Tags
austria