daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #801
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
The A11 is a short (21 km) motorway that connects the Karawankentunnel to the Austrian motorway network. Usually it's quiet, but during holidays waiting times for the tunnel can reach a few hours.
Never heard about that since border control is gone.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #802
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

Yeah, there was even a 2 hour waiting line two weekends ago according to the ÖAMTC.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #803
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

The fact that the tunnel is only 2×1 and the tollstation cause the jams. It's not as bad as the Tauerntunnel though. When waiting time for the Tauerntunnel was 7 hours, two weeks ago, waiting time for the Karawankentunnel was 'only' 2 hours.

-edit- Shit, Chris was quicker
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:27 PM   #804
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
16. Entrance of the tunnel. It's quite funny that even without signs in the tunnel the border would have been clearly visible: the Slovene side is much darker. Still it's not as dark as the Tauerntunnel, which was the most horrible tunnel of the holiday. The most beautiful tunnels were the new tunnels of the Trieste bypass.
Quote:
The fact that the tunnel is only 2×1 and the tollstation cause the jams. It's not as bad as the Tauerntunnel though. When waiting time for the Tauerntunnel was 7 hours, two weeks ago, waiting time for the Karawankentunnel was 'only' 2 hours.
I imagine that the Tauern tunnel is still single tube...but I think the second tube is under construction. Usually when second tube of a tunnel is opened the first is closed for renovation.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #805
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
It's quite funny that even without signs in the tunnel the border would have been clearly visible: the Slovene side is much darker.
It also has less and smaller ventilators.

Anyway, yeah, it doesn't make sense that there would be no queues in the summer. But does it even make sense to build second tubes of such tunnels, when there're queues because of toll stations?
Nice pics, of course.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #806
Timon91
Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
I imagine that the Tauern tunnel is still single tube...but I think the second tube is under construction. Usually when second tube of a tunnel is opened the first is closed for renovation.
The second tube of the Tauerntunnel is supposed to be finished in autumn 2010. Hopefully they'll give the first tube a facelift. It won't solve the jams though. There is still a tollbooth in between both tunnels.
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #807
keber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yeah, there was even a 2 hour waiting line two weekends ago according to the ÖAMTC.
Oh, OK, two weeks ago I was waiting in some other waiting lines.
But except few weekends in the summer A11 is practically empty and very rarely happens, that you overtake more than 5 vehicles over whole route.
Old July 29th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #808
keber

Quote:
The second tube of the Tauerntunnel is supposed to be finished in autumn 2010. Hopefully they'll give the first tube a facelift. It won't solve the jams though. There is still a tollbooth in between both tunnels.
Facelift of first tunnel is planned so completion of Taurentunnel is planned for spring of 2011. I don't see tollbooth as major obstacle except for few weekends.

Actually it is amazing when all the people go to vacation and are complaining about occasional jams, but they are silent about everyday jams at commuting to their work.
Old July 29th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #809
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Mountains in the Netherlands? Germany isn't very mountainous either.
What I meant was that 90% of all cars were either German or Dutch. I didn't see any mountains, because it was dark.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #810
Falusi
hanzi13

Likes (Received): 192

I took these pics when I was in Germany ~2 weeks before.

1. From the Raststation St. Pölten looking west (A1).

2. On my way to back. A little traffic jam on the A21.

3. The empty side. With the colour of the bus...

4. Bridge repairing.

Note:
The condition of A4 isn't good...
S1, A21 and A25 is good.
A1 has mostly 3 lanes but the concrete surface...
A8 is good but there are a lot of roadworks mostly shoulder widening (or adding olus 1 lane?) and noise barrier placing.

Last edited by Falusi; July 29th, 2009 at 05:42 PM.
Falusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 09:33 PM   #811
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda80 View Post
when i passed through bernina pass 17 days ago there were about 3-4 m of snow near the road.also fluela pass was closed, so i had to take a big detour to go from davos to bolzano.
There was the option of the Vereina Tunnel, then Zernez, Ofenpass, Mustair, if they were opened.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:24 AM   #812
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You gotta love going on vacation:
Quote:
A10 Tauern-Autobahn: Salzburg Richtung Villach Zwischen Knoten Pongau und Tauerntunnel 35 km Stau, Wartezeit bis zu 6 Stunden Blockabfertigung
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:40 AM   #813
Timon91
Error

Seems like I chose the right days to pass through this tunnel
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:57 AM   #814
panda80

Likes (Received): 333

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You gotta love going on vacation:
In this case I don't understand why people don't use the radstadter tauern pass road and prefer to stay stuck in that kind of traffic jam.In this case overhead automatic signalization should do the work and advise people to use parallel roads.
panda80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 12:31 PM   #815
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
In this case I don't understand why people don't use the radstadter tauern pass road and prefer to stay stuck in that kind of traffic jam.In this case overhead automatic signalization should do the work and advise people to use parallel roads.
Obviously the towns along the parallel roads don't want that traffic either. Tourism is very important in that region and especially Obertauern also caters to wealthier tourists. That's probably why Radstädter Tauern is such a well kept secret. Even on the radio they advise people to take huge detours (e.g. Felbertauern), but no mention of Tauern Pass.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 12:44 PM   #816
Timon91
Error

Quote:
There aren't that many alternatives, unfortunately.
Old August 1st, 2009, 01:08 PM   #817
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

For the Karawankentunnel, there is a good alternative: The Loiblpass (Ljubelj) of Würzenpas (Korensko Sedlo). Cheaper, more quiet and great roads to drive on.
Old August 1st, 2009, 01:12 PM   #818
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Würzenpass has a grade of 18%, which makes it not suitable for caravans.
Old August 1st, 2009, 01:30 PM   #819
Timon91
Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
For the Karawankentunnel, there is a good alternative: The Loiblpass (Ljubelj) of Würzenpas (Korensko Sedlo). Cheaper, more quiet and great roads to drive on.
Yeah, but this is not for the Tauerntunnel. I've got a nice picture of the border station of the Würzenpas btw, taken from a mountain ridge. I'll upload it later
Old August 1st, 2009, 03:44 PM   #820
keber

Even Loiblpass is not suitable for caravans. Although in the past truck trailers drove there - and made a journey from Austria to Yugoslavia very long. The best is to go to Tarvisio (Italy) and through Rateče and Kranjska Gora.

Tags
austria