daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 19th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #1081
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

imo the problem is not the swapping, because the A6 is not a main radiale but a spur of the A4, so it should have eg. A41...

in this case the A5 has the right number...

in hungary there are some confusion too:

roads (primary mainroads and motorways) radiate from budapest and are numbered cw, started from west: 1,10,11,2,3,4,5,6,7

this is totally stupid, because it should be 1 to 9, so all the main radiale could have a 1 digit number...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #1082
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
imo the problem is not the swapping, because the A6 is not a main radiale but a spur of the A4, so it should have eg. A41...

in this case the A5 has the right number...

in hungary there are some confusion too:

roads (primary mainroads and motorways) radiate from budapest and are numbered cw, started from west: 1,10,11,2,3,4,5,6,7

this is totally stupid, because it should be 1 to 9, so all the main radiale could have a 1 digit number...
Also A3 doesn't start in Vienna, but it starts at interchange with A2. A6 should be A5 and A5 should be A6, that would make sense.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #1083
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

A5 also doesn't start in Wien, but more to the north at S1.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #1084
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

it doesnt matter.
S1 is the wiener ring, so A5 starts in wien...

(the M2, M6 also start at the M0 of budapest with a trumpet IC...)

A3 really looks like a spur of A2, but its because the S1 ring goes very close to wien at this section...

it should take a bigger curve around the city, and in this case the A3 wouldnt be a spur but a real radiale...

LARGER
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #1085
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
On a side note, I saw Austrian toll stickers being sold at Autobahn gas stations on the German A3 near Wurzburg. Now that's a long way from the border.
I bought my Austrian AND Slovenian vignette near Regensburg on A3.

I like that kind of service. I don't know how well they sell Czech or Slovakian vignettes outside those countries.
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #1086
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

We bought the Slovenian vignette at the Tauerntunnel/Katschbergtunnel tollbooth. In 2007, we bought the Slovak vignette at the CZ/SK border station. In those days this border wasn't in Schengen yet, so we had to stop anyway
Old January 19th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #1087
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I like that kind of service. I don't know how well they sell Czech or Slovakian vignettes outside those countries.
AFAIK you can buy Czech or Slovakian vignettes in Hungary, so they must be available in Austria too
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #1088
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
About the Czech ones, they are being distributed to ADAC and ÖAMTC as well. Particulary, you can buy vignettes at rest area on A17 near Breitenau (signage will remind you to do that) and on D2 and D5 both on rest areas just before the border, those stretches between border and rest area are free. But you won't be able to drive free to the first exit here...

Though, I am a bit OT in this thread, srry
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #1089
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
What I don't understand about A6 is it's number. A1 - A6 all radiate from Wien, but A6 and A5 should be swapped, to remain in the system. Since A6 is older than A5, I don't understand why they didn't just number it A5.
What I don't like is the alternance A14-S16-A12 on the Semmering motorway (even if the S16 has some parts with only one lane and Schnellstrassen have a different legal status than Autostrassen).

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:04 PM   #1090
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Maybe it was intended for A12 to go towards Switzerland (Engadin) once. I can hardly believe that they would construct such a road now.

The Engadin happens to be one of the most isolated areas of the Alps, only accessible via alpine passes. I think the easiest access is actually from Austria by road.
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #1091
Coccodrillo

Or via the Vereina train shuttle.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old January 19th, 2010, 08:12 PM   #1092
mapman:cz
Ministerský rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
The Engadin happens to be one of the most isolated areas of the Alps, only accessible via alpine passes. I think the easiest access is actually from Austria by road.
Yeah, this road is connected to A12 via Landecker tunnel, most of the road serves as "motorroad", on the other hand, the swiss part is pretty curvy and loooong to drive. But landscape is really nice, environment is calm and it is one of the few locations where you can truly experience the Romansch (Rätoromanisch) language even whilst listening to radio
Old January 19th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #1093
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Maybe it was intended for A12 to go towards Switzerland (Engadin) once. I can hardly believe that they would construct such a road now.
Can't see anyone even having thought of a motorway to Engadin. But the Austrians did have plans to build an S15 from Landeck to the Reschenpaß. Not sure at which standard, possibly just a 1+1 road with access restrictions and grade separations. Primary purpose of the proposed route was of course a better connection into Italy, not a better connection with Engadin. Plans were quickly abandoned though.

I think that the changes in number of the Arlberg route (original poster incorrectly referred to the Semmering) simply go back to the Austrian numbering system, which is based on completely separate numbering systems for each class of road (A, S, B). So A1 is not at all related to S1. As the Arlberg Tunnel route was always planned to be a Schnellstraße only, it was obvious that there could not be one road number all the way from Bregenz to Kufstein. If that's your starting point, it is obvious too that A12 and A14 would never been connected into one road with one A-number. So they kept them separate.

This numbering exercise could of course have been done an awful lot better. A bit of jiggling in the S-numbers could have led to a system in which roads that are partially motorway and partially Schnellstraße at least shared the number, e.g. A14 for the Rheintalautobahn and S14 for the Arlberg-Schnellstraße. Likewise, the Reschen-Schnellstraße could have been made S12, allowing for a nice continuation of the A12. But well, that's Austria. Their numbering is as crap as their motorway signage ...
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #1094
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The second tube of the Tauern tunnel will be completed during spring 2010. After that, the existing tube will be renovated, and from mid-2011, two tubes will be available to traffic.

Meanwhile, the two tubes of the Katschberg tunnel are now both in operation.

Since the second tube of the Tauern tunnel will significantly reduce the congestion during summer peaks before this tunnel, I raise the question about the Katschberg tunnel toll plaza. This will be the next bottleneck for traffic heading south. The toll plaza has only 6 gates south, and the Tauern tunnel won't act like a ramp meter anymore the way it did before (I assume there will still be some kind of traffic control at the tunnel during peak days, to avoid congestion inside the tunnel).
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #1095
rarse

Likes (Received): 1

Which alp motorway have more traffic, A9 or A10? Anyone know the numbers?

When can be expected to complete the "second lanes" on A9?
rarse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #1096
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarse View Post
Which alp motorway have more traffic, A9 or A10? Anyone know the numbers?
Average traffic volumes:

A10 Tauern tunnel AADT: 17,000 (obviously much higher during summer)
A9 Plabutsch tunnel AADT: 30,000 (near Graz, probably much lower further north)

I do think the A10 is much busier in the summer, I almost never hear of big backups at the A9 tunnels (which are also single tube tunnels).

Quote:
When can be expected to complete the "second lanes" on A9?
Bosrucktunnel: completion 2014
Gleinalmtunnel: construction from 2013 onwards

Since building a second tube is something that generally takes 3 - 4 years, plus one year renovation of the existing tube, it will be at least like 2018 until A9 is twin-tubed for all tunnels. The Plabutsch tunnel was constructed with two tubes from the beginning (it opened in 2004).
Old January 20th, 2010, 09:18 PM   #1097
rarse

Likes (Received): 1

Thank you for the numbers Chris.

Anyone else have AADT for A9 in the Alps, Liezen for example?

Quote:
A10 Tauern tunnel AADT: 17,000 (obviously much higher during summer)
A9 Plabutsch tunnel AADT: 30,000 (near Graz, probably much lower further north)

I do think the A10 is much busier in the summer, I almost never hear of big backups at the A9 tunnels (which are also single tube tunnels).
Yes I drove once on A10 in summer and the traffic was really high.

I agree about A9, I drove many times on whole A9 (winter, spring, summer and autumn) and traffic was never high.

Quote:
Bosrucktunnel: completion 2014
Gleinalmtunnel: construction from 2013 onwards
It would be smart to complete Gleinalm tunnel ASAP, since it is the most dangerous tunnel (if I am correct) in Austria (if not in mid Europe).

It is 8 km long, with 1 tube only and NO emergancy exits!!!!

Last edited by rarse; January 20th, 2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: correcting
rarse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #1098
Coccodrillo

Quote:
The Plabutsch tunnel was constructed with two tubes from the beginning (it opened in 2004).
No, the first tube opened in 1987, the second in 2004: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plabutschtunnel

Old January 20th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #1099
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I see. It's the second-longest twin-tube tunnel in Europe (Gran Sasso tunnel in Italy is slightly longer).
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:24 AM   #1100
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
I see. It's the second-longest twin-tube tunnel in Europe (Gran Sasso tunnel in Italy is slightly longer).
my famous table:

1. Gran Sasso (I) 10176+10173=20349
2. Plabutsch (A) 10086+9919=20005
3. Seelisberg (CH) 9292+9250=18542
4. Rennsteig (D) 7916+7878=15794
5. Westerschelde (NL) 6650+6650=13300
6. Katschberg (A) 5898+5439 = 11337
7. Strengen (A) 5851+5775=11626
8. Mala Kapela (HR) 5821+5760=11581
9. Sveti Rok (HR) 5679+5670=11349
10. Cels (I) 5245+5141=10386

can somebody confirm me such a large difference between lenght of tubes of Katschberg tunnel? i find it weird (i am using information i have found on internet, i have also found 5898+5565 for Katschberg, but still difference is large)
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria