daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2010, 06:45 PM   #1181
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

Nice. I guess it's now very attractive to avoid the € 7,50 toll at the Gleinalmtunnel!
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2010, 07:31 PM   #1182
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Nice. I guess it's now very attractive to avoid the € 7,50 toll at the Gleinalmtunnel!
True, but the A9 is still a much faster, more pleasant, and smoother ride. Once you're out of Gleinalm Tunnel, you can comfortably cruise at 130km/h all the way to Graz.

The S35 and S36 has lots and lots of tunnels, very tight curves, and more traffic around Leoben. I'm sure it also has a lower design speed than the A9 - though many parts are posted at 130km/h, which makes driving there even more unpleasant because of all the idiots who think they have to drive the speed limit + 10-20km/h no matter what the road looks like.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 07:33 PM   #1183
rarse

Likes (Received): 1

Nice!

Thank you for the info.

I remember I was driving on S6 here. As you can see it's pretty curvy. If I remember correctly the speed limit was 130 km/h. Even on those curves.

I wonder why (only in Austria?) ''highways'' / ''schnellstrassen'' have 130 km/h speed limit, instead of 100 or 110 km/h as in most other countries I know.

Or at least only on curvey parts, that could be lower.
rarse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 07:38 PM   #1184
rarse

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
True, but the A9 is still a much faster, more pleasant, and smoother ride. Once you're out of Gleinalm Tunnel, you can comfortably cruise at 130km/h all the way to Graz.
True but Gleinalm Tunnel is one of the most unsafest tunnels in Austria!

Quote:
The S35 and S36 has lots and lots of tunnels, very tight curves, and more traffic around Leoben. I'm sure it also has a lower design speed than the A9 - though many parts are posted at 130km/h, which makes driving there even more unpleasant because of all the idiots who think they have to drive the speed limit + 10-20km/h no matter what the road looks like.
I definitely agree with you. As I wrote in my previous post.
Old June 1st, 2010, 07:56 PM   #1185
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3442

i drove S35 last summer and i must say that i drove many motorways with much tighter curves. this one has many curves, but not actually so tight that you must reduce your speed significantly.
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:14 PM   #1186
rarse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
And thanks God the damn S18 was abolished and no alternative will ever be constructed. It would have cut right through a nature reservation. And now they can't find an alternative corridor, so S18 is dead.
So no 2+2 connection between A and CH ever?
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:07 AM   #1187
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarse View Post
So no 2+2 connection between A and CH ever?
that's something I don't understand. there are two paralel motorways so close to each other.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:13 AM   #1188
ChrisZwolle
Road user

S18 would make most sense as far north as possible, so Zürich - München traffic can also profit from it. There is no reasonable high-standard alternative through southern Germany, A8 via Stuttgart is as close as it gets. Otherwise you're stuck to Bundesstraßen north of the Bodensee (Lake Constance).
Old June 6th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #1189
snowman159

The new twin-tube Katscheberg Tunnel is a real delight, compared to what tunnels in Austria used to look like.

The lighting is brigther, the road surface is impeccable, and I really like the reflective lane markings.

I took the following pics this weekend:

(the pics appear darker than in reality and sorry for the misfocus)
Old June 6th, 2010, 04:40 PM   #1190
snowman159

B99 Northbound, Katschberg Pass

South of Katschberg, B99 offers great views of the A10 viaducts

The last exit/on-ramp before Katschberg Tunnel

This may not look very steep, but the sign says 15% and that's what it feels like.

Arriving at the northern entrance of Katschberg Tunnel

Through a different valley B99 takes us towards Radstädter Tauern Pass

Old June 15th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #1191
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Autobahn A12 / Hall West - Europabrücke Parkplatz

one year old pics

seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #1192
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Today is one of the peak holiday traffic days of Austria.

At the Tauern tunnel (A10), the traffic meters that control traffic flow into the tunnel were activated shortly before 4 am, and around 8 am, the queue was already 20 kilometers long, and over 3 hours of uphill waiting time.

These kind of traffic jams are the biggest strain for your car, as you are not in a stationary traffic jam, but it goes 50 meters every minute, so you have to go from a full stop to 1st or 2nd gear all the time, for 3 hours in a row, uphill. It's not a surprise many cars get overheated because there is no driving wind to cool the engine. Uphill stop-and-go for 3 hours in a row is especially a problem if you're towing a caravan.
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #1193
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

At least, this will be the last summer with long jams. Some will remain because of the Blockabfertigung.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:44 AM   #1194
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I wonder how the Katschbergtunnel toll plaza will be able to cope with the summer traffic once the Tauerntunnel is no major obstacle anymore. That toll plaza has only 6 or 7 gates southbound. French 2x2 toll routes cannot cope with traffic at 15 toll gates.
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #1195
Coccodrillo

A solution would be a common European system like the Italian Telepass. Can we hope this will be done, one day?

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Old July 17th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #1196
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A unified E-tag would be a great idea in Europe, but a problem remains; people from non-toll countries (Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, etc.) are unlikely to have such a tag because they only need it twice a year. And those people also happen to be the ones who create those massive traffic jams at the Tauern and Gotthard tunnels.
Old July 17th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #1197
Coccodrillo

There are also systems that read registration plates. This may be an alternative.

Old July 17th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #1198
snowman159

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I wonder how the Katschbergtunnel toll plaza will be able to cope with the summer traffic once the Tauerntunnel is no major obstacle anymore. That toll plaza has only 6 or 7 gates southbound. French 2x2 toll routes cannot cope with traffic at 15 toll gates.
Does anyone know how well it has been able to cope with northbound traffic so far? Katschberg Tunnel is already 2x2 and the toll plaza looks freakishly small. Any delays and traffic would quickly back up into the tunnel. At which point, I guess, they would activate 'Blockabfertigung' again to reduce the risk of rear-end collisions mid-tunnel. Did that happen last summer?

Btw, you can pay the toll in advance (e.g. via internet, cell phones, etc.) and drive through Videomaut lanes without having to stop. A lot of German tourists use that service.
http://www.asfinag.at/maut/sondermau...maut/videomaut
Old July 17th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #1199
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 401

Quote:
here's a map:
[IMG]http://i44.************/4kjxq0.jpg[/IMG]

B221 is an important and often congested thoroughfare, but it's not limited access and there are traffic lights - lots of them. And as you can see, it covers only the western half of Vienna.
It's strange that a big city like Vienna doesn't have a full ring autobahn or at least a fast way without traffic lights and level crossings (like for example the Mittlerer Ring of Munich).
Is it possible you don't have any traffic problems?
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 09:27 PM   #1200
3naranze

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
A solution would be a common European system like the Italian Telepass. Can we hope this will be done, one day?
the EC project has a name: easyway
3naranze no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
austria